• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland with DH

avalon451

Errrr... what?
Heh, there was another thread about DL with teens/tweens and it made me think I need to hear from y'all on this subject.

DH and I are doing a trip without the kids for my birthday in September. I'm super psyched. He's-- cautiously looking forward to it. DH is an engineer and has some of that pragmatic, "ok, honey, whatever you want" patient attitude toward my obsession.

I'm wondering if there's a way to encourage him to help me plan without forcing it down his throat. I posted the thread the other day about "DL doesn't get my obsession" about how I pulled out the DL app on my phone and showed him wait times, FP return times, and he was kind of amazed/slightly horrified. He's never going to be the detailed planner for trips that I am, but I'm hoping to encourage his enthusiasm and get some input as to what he'd enjoy while we're there.

I did have an Unofficial Guidebook that I borrowed from the library sitting around the house, and noticed him looking curiously through it while he was eating breakfast one day.

He admits to getting a kick out of Goofy, and had his picture taken with Goofy the first time he was there. I'm thinking about doing Goofy's Kitchen for a late breakfast one day, but not sure how good that will be for 2 adults, without kids.

Maybe I'll see if I can get him to watch some Fresh Baked videos with me.

Thoughts?

My thoughts...don't over plan it. Just the two of you...set some goals of what you want to see and do but if you took me on an over detailed trip where we were stressing about every step I would be miserable.

Show up, have some fun and adjust your plans to what he is enjoying or not as you go.

Relax. You don't want it to be a negative experience.

My fiancé and I are going for our honeymoon. I'm the fanatic, he's only been to WDW, and while he's looking forward to the trip I think what enticed him most was the nicer dining options without our son, the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour and being able to ride more rides without our 4 1/2 year old.

I took my son twice with my father, fiancé was unable to go both times, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

Our men run on their stomachs. Are there snacks, restaurants, desserts he might like? You could show a menu or picture. The 24 layer chocolate cake pic was a hit with my dad last year. (Ordered a piece to-go and it lived up to its picture!) It's difficult to motivate our guys about a trip to DL but once there they're grinning like the rest of us!

Since you witnessed him reading the Unofficial Guide when you weren't looking, I would print out a few menus that you are interested in or a tour or something and just casually leave the papers laying around for him to "stumble" across. That way he will read it and you can get his thoughts without actually having him think he's planning. :-)

I do the planning in my family and the rest reap the benefits. i try not to over plan but we do make excellent use of FastPass, Magic Mornings, afternoon breaks and plan one sit down meal each day. With my group (especially DH) waiting in long lines becomes an issue and takes a toll on the fun factor. With my planning, we don't wait any on longer than 30 minutes (usually closer to 20) in any line and he just knows he is having a good time, without going into the details like I do.

I am trying to plan our 10 year anniversary next year. For my DH, he needs a super low key, stress free environment. So I am trying to plan everything and saving to pay for it, without stressing him out. If it just happens he is much happier.

Since he seems overwhelmed with fastpasses, wait times, ride order, etc. maybe don't overwhelm him with the minutia of planning but just ask for his input on the big decisions, like where to have a special dinner one night, or what nighttime shows he might like to see or not see. Then you can incorporate those things into your overall plan.

Intersperse some non-Disney things on your trip. Dinner at Mrs. Knotts Chicken Restaurant (completely remodeled and very nice--same awesome chicken), drive to Laguna Beach and walk around, etc. If you must stay on property the entire time, cocktails at Trader Sams, nice dinner at Napa Rose or Steakhouse 55. Carthay Circle is lovely too. Pool time to chill and swim. If you run him around from pillar to post, he's never going to go back!!!

My dh's favorite thing to do is sit on a bench in Cars Land and drink a beer. HA! Not sure if your hubby is a beer drinker. but whenever mine needs a break from the Disney crazy this is what we do. He is happy to follow my lead as far as schedules and let me check off all my 'must dos'. I do usually choose one or two places ahead of time that I think he will like and show him the menu. We had a great meal last time at House of Blues, but that will be closed when we go next week so we will be trying Carthay Circle for lunch for the first time. He is also looking forward to the lobster nachos at the Cove Bar. He is very much about the food and drinks :)

My dh's favorite thing to do is sit on a bench in Cars Land and drink a beer. HA! Not sure if your hubby is a beer drinker.
This sounds like a great plan! :) He IS a beer drinker, but unfortunately it's gluten-free beer due to celiac in the family. But, he'd be happy with a margarita from Rita's on the wharf, as well. Good idea!

I'm also looking at Carthay Circle. We're doing Napa Rose, Chef's counter for my birthday; I think Carthay will be our other "fancy" meal. It looks fantastic!

Since DH is an engineer, maybe find some books on Imagineering. Once he knows how amazingly the parks are designed and constructed, that might give him a whole new perspective on things. DH loves going on rides to see how they work. Even if the ride is my pick and not his, he still enjoys looking all around to see the details. If the tours are running during your visit, would your DH enjoy something like the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter