Disneyland veteran needs help!

disneynerd420

DIS NINJA
Hi everybody. This is my first post over on this part of the DIS. I have not been to WDW since I was a small child so I really do not remember what it was like. I go to DLR all the time. In fact I have been there three times already this year and I have two more trips being planned and one in preplanning stages. I have been toying with the idea of taking a trip to WDW in 2011. I have been doing some research but am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have a few questions and was hoping you guys could help.

1. When would you say is the best time to go and why. (I'm looking for all aspects... when is the cheapest, the most magical, the least amount of crowds etc. I have to admit that I will be doing this on a budget but I would be wiling to work with that if it is worth it.

2. How many days... I was thinking 5. Will that be enough?

3. Do you recommend park hopping? It is so easy at DLR since we just walk out the gate from DL and walk across the Esplanade to DCA, but I have heard that at WDW it is a time consuming and patience trying process, due to having to wait for transportation.

4. Is it necessary to stay on site? It is nice at DLR but not needed. Is it that much more convenient to stay at a WDW hotel?

5. LAST QUESTION... (sorry for being so long winded) Is it better to get a dining plan? I have never done this at DLR as they look to be a rip off, but WDW's seems to be better put together.

I do not remember WDW very well but am very excited with the thought of planning a trip to the Magic Kingdom. Thank you for your help guys!

Hi everybody. This is my first post over on this part of the DIS. I have not been to WDW since I was a small child so I really do not remember what it was like. I go to DLR all the time. In fact I have been there three times already this year and I have two more trips being planned and one in preplanning stages. I have been toying with the idea of taking a trip to WDW in 2011. I have been doing some research but am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have a few questions and was hoping you guys could help.

1. When would you say is the best time to go and why. (I'm looking for all aspects... when is the cheapest, the most magical, the least amount of crowds etc. I have to admit that I will be doing this on a budget but I would be wiling to work with that if it is worth it.

3. Do you recommend park hopping? It is so easy at DLR since we just walk out the gate from DL and walk across the Esplanade to DCA, but I have heard that at WDW it is a time consuming and patience trying process, due to having to wait for transportation.

4. Is it necessary to stay on site? It is nice at DLR but not needed. Is it that much more convenient to stay at a WDW hotel?

5. LAST QUESTION... (sorry for being so long winded) Is it better to get a dining plan? I have never done this at DLR as they look to be a rip off, but WDW's seems to be better put together.

I do not remember WDW very well but am very excited with the thought of planning a trip to the Magic Kingdom. Thank you for your help guys!

1. Least crowded is January 2-Presidents Day week, May until Memorial Day weekend, September, after Thanksgiving until mid-December.

2. Five days minimum; seven is better. There's a lot to see.

3. I prefer park-hopping, but if you're on a budget, leave off the PH & save $$$. Figure an hour to transfer from one park to another, or back to your hotel.

4. I much prefer staying on-site. I like the immersion factor. Again, you can save $$$ by staying offsite.

5. I learned a tough lesson last trip. We'll be doing the DP this trip.

JMO. :)

Mid December or early January. In Dec you get the holiday stuff andnicer weather. January is a little slower.

6-7 is better.

I never hop, but I never go back to the resort to swim or nap so it seems like a waste of time

Stay onsite!!! There's free transportation from the airport so no need for a car. Values start at $82 during value season. Visit the resort picture threads, they are amazing.

Get the dining plan. We paid for it in January(usually go during free dining) and it was still definitely worth it.

By driving and using free dining we are spending less than $600 for 6 nights and seven days plus food. Even with flight it's cheap. Stay at POP or an AllStars, the value resorts and enjoy. I love DLR. but WDW is home.

Funny, I'm looking in the opposite direction and just read the DLR Guide for WDW Vets. It's an excellent read and while it concentrates on those of us who have not been to DLR, you may be able to get some good info in the writer's comparisons.

That said, it's real hard to give short answers to what you're asking, but I'll try.

1. I think if you can go during off-peak times, do it. We've been in October and the crowds were low, the weather was nice and you could get a lot done, even with shorter park hours. Peak times mean longer park hours, but in my opinion, you're putting in a lot more hours to accomplish what you can during off times.

2. This depends on when you go, in my opinion. You can spend a full day in each park, easy. In off-peak times, you might do everything in DHS and AK in one day, but I think you need more than a day for EPCOT and MK, if you really want to do everything. For our October trip we spent 8 days on properties. That included a day in the water parks. The link to our trip report is in my signature below, if you want to get an idea of what we did.

Our last couple of trips have been over spring break and the crowds made the trip totally different. Park hours are longer, but so are lines. Even if you make good use fast passes, it seems like you're working much harder to accomplish what you do at an off peak time.

3. I also prefer park hopping, but I think you could probably get by without it. Park hopping is a very different deal at WDW compared to DLR.

4. I prefer on property as well. While not as convienient as DLR, you can't beat parking the car at the beginning of the week and leaving the driving to the bus drivers, monorails and boat captains for the week. Extra Magic Hours are also of value, depending on when you go, and that only comes with staying on property.

5. I have never done a dining plan. I've looked seriously into it, but for me, it limits your flexibility. In my mind, having a certain number of table service meals that you have to use means a bunch of ADRs that may feel obligated to make and use. It's going to be different for everyone, but we just don't do enough table service meals to justify a dining plan.

Bottom line, to me I think figuring out when you're going to go is where you'll want to start. From there, you can tailor a plan that works for you.

Good luck!

1. Early to Mid October. Reasons: somewhat lower crowds, MNSSHP, Food and Wine Festival.

2. You can do a lot in 5 days, but not everything. If you are staying on property than I would say 5 days is good. If you stay at an inexpensive off-site hotel (I've stayed in some small and clean hotels for as little as $24 a night through Expedia) adding a few days to your tickets doesn't cost that much.

3. I like Park Hopping. The fewer days you have, the more I feel it's worth it. You can go to AK in the morning, catch a dinner reservation at DHS and watch the fireworks at MK at night.

4. On property is very convenient but will cost you more. If you are staying at a Value resort than I think the perks outweigh the extra cost.

5. I always rent a car while i'm there so I never saw the value in the dining plan. If you plan to eat on property than I guess it's a good value but the money I spend on food plus a car rental is still cheaper than the dining plan.

We are BIG Disneyland fans, too. We go several times per year. (My favorite ride is Storybook Land; I'm still a kid!) I agree with what people said here. Stay in the World if you possibly can. Sometimes at DL we stay at the Sheraton, which is very close, but it is different. At WDW, though, especially for your first adult trip, it is EXTREMELY different. On our honeymoon, we didn't rent a car, and that kept us completely immersed for the 10 days we were there (and we didn't see everything--not even close!) If you get a deal on the dining plan, go for it! Park hopping--yes. ;) If you are going at a warm time of year, remember the water parks! :)

If you go during Free Dining (announced in April, unless bounceback) then you stay at one of the Disney Resorts and you get your DDP for free.

I have been twice now with the Free Dining and it saves money. You don't have to worry about the prices and you get to try some of the nice TS meals they have. The only extra is the gratuities at the TS.

I would stay a min of 5 days. If you can afford more great, you will want more. I'd stay in one of the Value Resorts-Pop or the All-Stars. Staying on property gets you Disney's Magical Express, transportation to the parks and DTD, EMH.

It's so much different than DL. Hopping does take time.

1. When would you say is the best time to go and why. (I'm looking for all aspects... when is the cheapest, the most magical, the least amount of crowds etc. I have to admit that I will be doing this on a budget but I would be wiling to work with that if it is worth it. Value season after Labor day (but BEFORE Oct 1) and the time between after Thanksgiving and a week before Christmas - the parks are decorated for the impending holidays and it's the cheapeast time to go. THOUGH September is brutally hot, you're from Chandler, you may find it balmy... :lmao:

2. How many days... I was thinking 5. Will that be enough? If you go quick you can do it. We had 4 park days last time and we barely squeaked through. If you can pull a 6th day, go for it.

3. Do you recommend park hopping? It is so easy at DLR since we just walk out the gate from DL and walk across the Esplanade to DCA, but I have heard that at WDW it is a time consuming and patience trying process, due to having to wait for transportation. WDW is definately not as convenient to park hop! Buses, Friendships, and Monorails, Oh MY! I tell people to hop if they will be there less than 5 days - it offers you the most flexibility. A good deal too relies on where you are planning to eat. ;) If you plan your meals well, you could in essence not need to hop on a short stay.

4. Is it necessary to stay on site? It is nice at DLR but not needed. Is it that much more convenient to stay at a WDW hotel? If you stay on site you have the benefit of free transportation and the use of extra magic hours (being let in a park early or can stay late) plus it keeps you in the Magic. If you are going budget you can stay at a value resort, during value season for <$90/night which is way better than staying offsite and renting a car (or hiring a taxi) and paying for parking at the parks.

5. LAST QUESTION... (sorry for being so long winded) Is it better to get a dining plan? I have never done this at DLR as they look to be a rip off, but WDW's seems to be better put together. Our trip next year is the first time that we will be using the DP. We didn't use it in April and our meals did cost us. For 1 kid's meal and 2 adult meals at CS was $30/a pop. Our character dining at Ohana was $65 for 3 of us. If you do the DP (~$42/adult/day) you have to make it worth spending the money as it is tagged to the numbers of days in the hotel vs. the number of park days you plan to be in. My parents used DP in September and loved the convenience, the only thing you have to be prepared for is making your reservations!

Since you will be rediscovering the park, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It is on a much larger scale than DL but you'll get to see a good chunk of attractions that are long gone from DL. Remember that our HM isn't Jack Skellington-ized and we still have Carosel of Progress, plus WDW monorail isn't just a ride, it's for actual transportation! P.S. WDW POTC isn't as good, but still fun.

One thing to add here: as there are only a couple of restaurants at DL to be concerned about as to reservations, at WDW there are several!!!! and there are lots and lots of character meals, and dinner shows, you name it. So, advance planning is key. I know you're aware that if you want to have the dessert thing at Fantasmic at DL you have to plan 60 days in advance. Well, at WDW, the window is back to 180 days!!! especially if you want to eat in the castle, or have a dinner show like Hoop-de-Doo. Now, you don't have to adhere to this, but as you get closer to the date, it will be near impossible to get what you want when you want it. So, read the guidebooks, and get on line and do your homework as to which restaurants you think would be a blast, (and there are some unique ones at WDW that are quite entertaining in themselves, I'm thinking Sci-Fi diner, and 50's Prime Time as examples) and plan accordingly. A good rule of thumb is: if you pick a place you'd like to eat, then stay at that park either for the morning or afternoon. In other words, don't hop on a bus just to get to a restaurant in another park. Not worth your time. Plan the day's activities around your choice at least for a segment of the day. A lot of newbies waste a lot of time traveling from place to place only to get frustrated and upset. Let's face it, WDW is BIG. DL and CA could both fit into Epcot & parking lot alone. Get ready, you're about to be wowed. What DL has in charm, WDW has in space. And at least for your first stay, it's so much more magical to stay at the Disney resort hotels. Enjoy your planning.:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter