Disneyland vet in Disneyworld

Docter419

Your host, Ronnie Reagan!
Ok everyone! I have been going to Disneyland my entire life. It started out as a small child, my family and I would take a yearly trip to the happiest place on earth and those trips were some of the happiest memories of my childhood. Later I would meet the women who would become my wife and lo and behold I got her addicted to Disneyland as well. So much so that I proposed to her in front of sleeping beauty's castle and we had our honeymoon there! And now her parents are taking us to Disneyworld in November! But not all is wine and roses.... I am worried that going to Disneyworld is going to take me out of my comfort zone. I LOVE being only a short walk away from your hotel room at all times at Disneyland. I'm worried that the fact that worrying about jumping in a car (we are staying off property) and dealing with traffic at the end of night will ruin the end of my Disney nights. And we have our first born who will be 18 months old at the time of our trip which we will need to get back to the room quickly and rest in order to not be super grumpy. Which is what I loved about D-land when we took him in Oct. Bottom line I need some advice from you d-world vets out there in order to assuage my concerns. D-world is just so big to a d-land guy like me :)

Stay on Disney's resort. Otherwise, you're right, you will have to deal with traffic, since you guys will be driving. It gets worse during holidays.

Would your little one sleep ok in a stroller? Maybe take turns walking around the stores with him while he sleeps.

I remember going to the World over twenty years ago pregnant, and I also had a 3 year old and an 11 month old. It was fun however not our best trip. We did not do a lot of preplanning because my parents were with us.

I would plan your days the best you can, however be open to change your schedule if needed.

Many people go each year with little ones and it goes well.

Ok everyone! I have been going to Disneyland my entire life. It started out as a small child, my family and I would take a yearly trip to the happiest place on earth and those trips were some of the happiest memories of my childhood. Later I would meet the woman who would become my wife and lo and behold I got her addicted to Disneyland as well. So much so that I proposed to her in front of sleeping beauty's castle and we had our honeymoon there! And now her parents are taking us to Disneyworld in November! But not all is wine and roses.... I am worried that going to Disneyworld is going to take me out of my comfort zone. I LOVE being only a short walk away from your hotel room at all times at Disneyland. I'm worried that the fact that worrying about jumping in a car (we are staying off property) and dealing with traffic at the end of night will ruin the end of my Disney nights. And we have our first born who will be 18 months old at the time of our trip which we will need to get back to the room quickly and rest in order to not be super grumpy. Which is what I loved about D-land when we took him in Oct. Bottom line I need some advice from you d-world vets out there in order to assuage my concerns. D-world is just so big to a d-land guy like me :)
Well, OP, I agree with you that traveling back and forth to an off-site hotel will definitely take you out of your comfort zone. First, you leave that Disney bubble and re-enter the real world of traffic, noise, ugly landscape and an overload of ticky-tacky concrete buildings. Then there's the issue of where to go to eat, and where to get incidentals you might need. We stayed off-site for years, until Disney started building their own moderate and value resorts in the 1990s.

Since you'll have a car, running back and forth to a very close Disney resort is the easiest, fastest, and most comfortable way to visit WDW. Disney roads are in top shape, easy to navigate, and all you'll see are themed buildings scattered here and there amid lush landscaping. You could take advantage of the theme parks' evening hours to take a mid-day break at your Disney resort, give the baby a nap, take a swim, then return to the parks at dinner. Disney resorts have food courts, some have table service, and they all have gift shops for incidentals. There's value in Disney's free parking at the resorts and theme parks, there's value in no Disney resort fees like off-site hotels have, and there's value in the enormous time you'll save getting to/from the parks. This is especially important because the Florida sun and heat are very intense, and you'll be glad to not have to drive too far. You have to factor those benefits in to the cost of Disney lodging vs off-site. Once we started staying at WDW resorts, we never stayed off-site again.

I agree with everyone else's comments. Stay on property of at all possible! Any of the hotels on property are amazing in their own way and well worth all the extra that they bring. From keeping the magic feeling going to the transportation options.

2 years ago I went to DL for the first time and it was both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time, rides we knew and loved but in a slightly different way.

Good luck
Judy

I am also a D-Land girl - grew up in So Cal, husband proposed to me there (asking Mickey for my hand in marriage), took our kids there every week. All that being said…

We love WDW. For us, staying on site is everything that DL can't be. Staying off-site is no big deal in CA - everything is so close by. Not so with the enormity of 4 parks, 2 water parks, and so many resort offerings in FL. We stayed off site one time, and swore we'd never do it again. For us WDW is a resort vacation 24/7.

We're also DL regulars who got engaged and were married at DL. For our honeymoon we took our first trip to WDW, and continue to be amazed by its shear size.

Like others have mentioned, we stay on site to embrace the enormity of it all and feel like we never have to leave the bubble. We tell friends and family that we aren't going to Florida, we are going to Disney.

Whether you stay on site or off though, you'll probably want to take advantage of seeing the things that are unique to WDW. For our first few visits we felt out of place at MK because it was so similar to DL, but stuff is in the wrong spot! We actually enjoyed Epcot far more, where almost everything is completely different. With time we have come to appreciate MK and have become familiar with the differences, but we sure were surprised at how we felt about it during our first trip. AK is another one of those unique Disney experiences where there's just nothing else like it. Finally, even if you stay off site, take the time to explore the resorts a bit. You're free to take the Disney transportation and explore all the different areas, which can make for a quiet afternoon activity while the little one is hopefully getting some needed rest. Some of our best times at WDW have been exploring with DD asleep in the stroller.
Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

If you are able, do not stay off site. We stay in deluxe resorts on the monorail only, so that we have quick and easy access to transportation.

Sure, I'd like to spend less, but the trade off is just not worth it to us

I have the opposite experience - I grew up on the East Coast and WDW was my second home. Moved to L.A. in 1995 and fell in love with Disneyland. I was so surprised how easy it was to get around in Disneyland, and we've stayed off property there and have had a great time.

I would not stay off site at WDW unless someone gave me a free trip. Even then I would probably complain. Look into the Value Resorts. You will be in the Disney bubble, but more importantly, your trips to the parks will take much less time. You can use Disney's free transportation or drive and park your car for free at the theme parks. You'll be eligible for Extra Magic Hours. Price it out and keep in mind the CONVENIENCE of being able to get to and from your resort.

Stay onsite, you never have to leave the magic! Also it is much easier to go back to your resort to rest or for nap time with a little one. Even if you don't stay at a monorail resort...any would be better than offsite. When DD was younger we used to do a park in the am, come back to the resort after lunch and rest. Then go back to a different park for dinner or we would relax at the pool and go back later for the fireworks.

As another DLR vet who goes to WDW, I also highly recommend staying on-property if at all possible. There are lots of different types of hotels available within the WDW property (e.g., Values, Moderates, and Deluxes, along with the DVC), so many one of them will be comparable in price to the off-site location you are looking at.

If you do stay off-site, you'll have to deal with traffic (unless, by off-site you mean one of the DTD resorts or Bonnet Creek). Remember that even to get from one park to the next it can be a 10-15 minute drive, so an off-site hotel might be even more time (depending on location).

There are not many hotels within walking distances of the parks. The only ones that come to mind are the Contemporary (MK), and the Epcot resorts (Epcot). All others will require some kind of transportation (boat, bus, monorail). So there are very few options at WDW that will be like they are at DLR (in terms of proximity). They are all the Deluxe resorts and are higher in price (in general) that the Grand Californian.

Another DL vet here. If you haven't done so already go to the DL forum and read Hydroguy's tips: "An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636.

Going to WDW is a different experience from going to DL. Embrace it; they are so different you can love them both. We thought we would go to WDW once to see what it was like. This fall will be our 8th trip. That first trip I wanted to stay off property but my daughter's friend (also a DL vet) told us we HAD to stay on property and I am really glad we did. To a DL vet it didn't seem important but now we wouldn't even consider staying off property. Being in the middle of Disney all the time and not having to deal with transportation is wonderful even if some of the rides aren't as good and you sometimes get lost in MK.

Be prepared to walk a lot wherever you stay! Like everyone has said, if you can,try to stay on property. It is definitely worth the money!!

another DL vet here too. the parks are less stuffed with attractions, i found it less intense and more pleasurable. it's far, far larger so be prepared for walking. i will echo the others, stay on property. the moderates are about in line with the blah motels that surround DL but you get SO much more.

Thank you for all the tips! Staying on property is not an option. My generous in laws are letting us use their time share at hilton on international blvd. Without their help them this trip would not be possible. I am very grateful for them, i'll deal with the traffic :)

And fyi, I've given my mother in law and wife full permission to punch when I get nit picky and start saying that d-land is better because of xyz... haha

Another Disneyland vet here who loves WDW. WDW can be very overwhelming the first time that you go. Try to make a list of what WDW has that Disneyland doesn't and focus on that first. For example, there is Toy Story Mania at HS which we obviously have here. I try to focus on the other attractions at HS (that we don't have) and only do Toy Story if I can get a FP or we have time, etc. This helps me prioritize my day. Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter