• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland trip in June

DisneySweetie

Mouseketeer
Hey all,

I just booked our official first trip as a married couple to DLR. Arrive June 14th. June 15-18th in the parks. Leave June 19th. Yes, we did honeymoon in WDW December 2007, but we've been missing the Disney magic since then. I have only been to DLR 4 times and WDW twice. GASP! I know. But that doesn't mean I'm not one of the biggest Disney fans ever. My DH grew up in CA and has been to DLR countless times. Yes, I feel nothing but jealous. But it has been 3.5 years for both of us now, so we're excited to venture back.

I have never stayed at a hotel close to DLR. My one family and two school trips always had us driving from somewhere else in Anaheim. And when DH and I went in 2005, we commuted in from his parents house.

Unfotunately our June dates do not correspond for the entertainment rates at HoJos. We can't change our dates because we're planning around DH's stepsister's wedding in Laguna Beach. So I found a HoJos rate of $79/night ($91/night including taxes/fees) and booked it right away. Now I'm questioning what kind of room it is. Seems like people here are unhappy with any building except building 1. Seeing as how my rate was significantly below other prices on various travel sites, I'm assuming we will not be in building 1. I will try to call directly tomorrow and see. But are the other buildings really so bad? We need to save some money. I did really well on JetBlue flights to LGB and priceline for the rental car, but I am second-guessing this HoJos stuff. My ressie just says standard room. Not sure if that's standard queen or standard doubles. I would like to be a little more informed before I call so I know what to request.

Next step is getting the tix. I cannot fathom paying full price. What I love about WDW is that you get special codes for Disney Visa and the discount on your package makes you feel like you got a discount on your tix. Although, I realize they are probably discounting the hotel and not the tix. Anyway, since Disney hotels were out of the price range for this trip, there will be no package discounts. So, where should I look for tix? I have Disney Visa and we are members of CostCo. But I don't think CostCos here in Oregon do DLR stuff. DH's brother still lives in CA and normally is an AP holder. Could he maybe get some discount for me? Just trying to think outside the box.

I discovered these boards before our honeymoon in WDW and they completely changed the way I experienced WDW. FOR THE BETTER! We had such a special honeymoon (and we saved a bunch of money) because of the small things I learned here. And now I feel completely lost about DLR. And it seems like there is not as much info on the dis about it. I read through the stickies and I am yearning for more.

I also need help deciding what to do on the night we arrive and the morning we leave. What are those special DLR experiences outside the parks that you dis-ers can't live without? Restaurant, activities, etc. Even suggestions for in the park would be appreciated. Everyone seems to find something that I would never find.

Any crowd/weather advice for my dates?

Thanks and *hugs* to all you fellow Disney fans.

I don't know the answer to all your questions, but be don't let your S. Cal reletives pick up S. Cal ticket deals for you. You won't be able to use them because they check your zip code. I've seen package deals for Disneyland at Costco that include some other parks in S. Cal. Mostly, there are not really discounts for tickets. You might find minor ones here and there, and other might know more about it. AAA park hopper tickets will give you free parking, if that is of interest to you. Have fun! :thumbsup2

Try Getawaytoday.com or Ares Travel for discount tickets. But don't get the So Cal specials because they do ask for ID to use them. The HoJo rate you got sounds like the Ent. Rate, in Bldg 1 for a DL view room. I bet that's what you've got booked, if so keep it, you'll love it. Even if not that's a great price for a hotel right next to DL! HoJo is a great place to stay, it's our first choice (when we are paying, otherwise we use our timeshare) when we go to DL. We stayed at the HoJo probably 6 or 8 times between July 07 & July 08.

I agree with the Raiders fan (;) ) X2. Keep HoJo at that rate, it's a great hotel.

I'm going to disneyland Jun 16th to 19th for my birthday!! We'll be there at the same time =).And we just got back from Disneyland a few weeks ago, me and bf are so addicted!

We've been to WDW too last year, DL is different but still fun. California Adventures was more fun than DL's Magic Kingdom to us. It has Tower or Terror, Soarin, California Screaming and the Toy Story ride where you shoot stuff. And it's a lot less crowded than MK and just less hectic.

For 2009, disneyland.com has the "everyone gets in for the price of a kid" deal. It's a $40 discount I believe. For the night you get there, depending on how late you arrive you might find the lines for rides kind of long so maybe just aim for shopping on main street? The morning before we leave I always wake up early to make ropedrop and hit up the rides in tomorrow/adventure land since they'll only have 5 - 10 minute waits when they first open.

PinkBudgie - Thanks so much for warning me about the SoCal residents limitation. I hadn't yet read that info anywhere.

pixiewings71 - I will try both those sites when digging around. Thanks for the references. Also, thanks for making me feel better about HoJos.

SANDIEGOFAN - Thanks for the input. I think I will stick with HoJos even if we're not in the building 1.

christine* - Cool that we'll be there at the same time. You get to take advantage of their celebrations promotion with you being there during your brithday. That's awesome! Someday I will celebrate a birthday at Disney. I think that would be super fun.

I haven't gotten to call HoJos yet, but I will let you all know when I do.

I just read about the "disconnected FP rides." Oh my goodness! I had no idea. We're going to make bank in terms of FPs. I'm so excited. We're going to be in the know, just flaunting our FPs. I'm not sure if I even want to know if this kind of thing exists at WDW. I don't want to feel like we wasted time on our honeymoon. I'll be sure to find out before our next trip. We are hoping to go to WDW again in late 2010. But so far that's just a dream.

Disney to all and to all a good night.

Put your mind at ease; I don't think there are disconnected rides at WDW.

And of course it is only two rides at DLR...Roger Rabbit and Grizzly...of course the two parks are disconnected from each other, so that's nice. :)

The rate at HoJo is good.

While you're at DLR, keep an open mind for upgrading to APs...big thing to note with DLR (vs how it's done at WDW) is that you generally do NOT keep any discount you got on the tickets. You upgrade by paying the difference of what you paid for the tix and the cost of the AP. So just keep that in mind while finding tickets. :) Check out my location and you'll see that non-CA people have APs. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter