Disneyland Tips and Magical Moments

Jfsag123

DIS Veteran
We took our first family trip to Disneyland this past June and I wanted to thank all the helpful folks on this board who provided great information and helped us to have a wonderful trip. My kids are now asking to alternate WDW and DL trips. One of the best tips we got here was to check out musical chairs with Alice and the Mad Hatter, which we did with the kiddos in costume. Here's a video of a bit of the wonderfulness that ensued.

Favorite moment of my son's life!

We also heeded the advice here to take time to notice a lot of the little details and out of the way areas around the park. I must admit, when we first arrived we found ourselves missing WDW more than enjoying DL. However, starting to attend to all the little details that make DL so unique led to us starting to appreciate that park for its own brand of magic and I'm sure there are things from it we will miss next year when we're back at WDW.

What are the tips/strategies other use to get in touch with the magic at DLR? What experiences have you had that will stay with you forever?

I grew up taking trips to WDW but having had the chance to go to DL multiple times now I'd have to say I prefer it. Of course I live on the left coast and flights to MCO are really expensive.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to DL!

I grew up taking trips to WDW but having had the chance to go to DL multiple times now I'd have to say I prefer it. Of course I live on the left coast and flights to MCO are really expensive.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to DL!

I've had exactly the same experience. Before my first trip to DL I wondered how on earth it could compare to WDW. Once I visited, I was hooked! I too live out west and we don't fly to MCO often.

Speaking of magic, can you still ask to go upstairs on the Mark Twain and pilot the boat with the captain? My son and my dad had the biggest grins doing this. They can't wait to do it again. I sure hope they still can.

Speaking of magic, can you still ask to go upstairs on the Mark Twain and pilot the boat with the captain? My son and my dad had the biggest grins doing this. They can't wait to do it again. I sure hope they still can.

Interested in this one! The boats weren’t running when we were there.

Hidden. All of the tiny details that are hidden away.

Main Street, as young parent I ignored Main street, as 60 year old man, I have come to realize that Main Street is much alive and all those decades I missed of shows, characters, elements and tiny details......like....how do they put the horses away? what seasonal flower has been potted? what music is playing?

Tip, the only one I can give is arrive early...nap in the afternoon....stay late.
Magical moments......none of mine were planned....they just happened.

We took our first family trip to Disneyland this past June and I wanted to thank all the helpful folks on this board who provided great information and helped us to have a wonderful trip. My kids are now asking to alternate WDW and DL trips. One of the best tips we got here was to check out musical chairs with Alice and the Mad Hatter, which we did with the kiddos in costume. Here's a video of a bit of the wonderfulness that ensued.

Favorite moment of my son's life!

We also heeded the advice here to take time to notice a lot of the little details and out of the way areas around the park. I must admit, when we first arrived we found ourselves missing WDW more than enjoying DL. However, starting to attend to all the little details that make DL so unique led to us starting to appreciate that park for its own brand of magic and I'm sure there are things from it we will miss next year when we're back at WDW.

What are the tips/strategies other use to get in touch with the magic at DLR? What experiences have you had that will stay with you forever?
That looks awesome! I love the Mad Hatter. We have never done that.

I am such a Walt lover that I just get emotional that he had been on that street. I've never been to WDW so I guess I can't compare it but I will tell you what I love...

That I can be standing in a place and think about pictures that I saw Walt standing in the same place. Makes me so in awe. I love that it is so easy to navigate and you can get across the park quickly. I love all the history with the railroad, the various brick usage in the little alley off of Main Street, and Main Street in general. I know it is exactly the same with WDW but EVERY LITTLE DETAIL has meaning and history. Walt's speech in Morse Code...I guess I always go back to that history.

I prioritize what I want to get done (based on what I regret not doing previously or just miss) and figure out what my best chances are to make that happen. I spend my time on Disboards searching for ride/efficiency/maximization tips and history/fun/secret facts. We only have two days this next trip so I am really prioritizing. We are staying at the DLH for the first time ever to be able to get in early and make sure we ride the Monorail. I try to incorporate breaks where we are "doing something" while resting throughout the day and for us, Breakfast at Minnie is such a great way to see a TON of characters and have a breakfast that everyone enjoys (my DDs' favorite restaurant is "all you can eat buffet"). Sitting outside closest to the restrooms gets you close to a heavily used CM entrance and exit. It's a great place to see even more of those you love. And there's an exit right there if you need to go get them :love:

Best moments that we have had have been in 2012 when DD turned five on Christmas Eve (now DD9). After BBB we took her and DD who was 11 months at the time (now DD5) outside dressed as Cinderella(s). Peter Pan and Wendy just stopped by as they were getting their pics taken in front of the castle by a CM. They led them to Snow White's Grotto where Cinderella and two mice were just arriving. We have gorgeous pics with them and then Snow White came out. Also Donald Duck dancing with DD5 (in 2012) among other things. During our last trip in January my nephew and daughters dressed as Luke Skywalker, Rey and Princess Leia. The kids got so much attention from Darth Vader, Chewbacca, the Jedi Academy, the PhotoPass photographers, CM in general and even the general public that they had an amazing time. People were taking their pics and even asked for their autographs. They were in Heaven. So I guess many of the most memorable have involved the kids dressing up. But there's so much more than that.

It's awesome that you have been able to do both parks!

I was there in January and you couldn't just because they were docked due to the construction of Star Wars Land. I am interested to see how it's changed since next month. I really want for my family to be able to do this someday but I don't think it will happen this trip.

Main Street, as young parent I ignored Main street, as 60 year old man, I have come to realize that Main Street is much alive and all those decades I missed of shows, characters, elements and tiny details......like....how do they put the horses away? what seasonal flower has been potted? what music is playing?

Tip, the only one I can give is arrive early...nap in the afternoon....stay late.
I agree and would add to eat breakfast late and dinner early and snack for everything else...unless you have reservations!

That was one of the things I loved about DL. I’m a big planner and definitely missed that aspect when doing DL as compared to WDW, however, I have to say that we had some really cool unexpected moments come out of being able to plan less. Really enjoyed that go with the flow time. And 100% agree about Main Street. I don’t spend much time there in the Magic Kingdom, but I fell in love with it at DL.

That looks awesome! I love the Mad Hatter. We have never done that.

I am such a Walt lover that I just get emotional that he had been on that street. I've never been to WDW so I guess I can't compare it but I will tell you what I love...

That I can be standing in a place and think about pictures that I saw Walt standing in the same place. Makes me so in awe. I love that it is so easy to navigate and you can get across the park quickly. I love all the history with the railroad, the various brick usage in the little alley off of Main Street, and Main Street in general. I know it is exactly the same with WDW but EVERY LITTLE DETAIL has meaning and history. Walt's speech in Morse Code...I guess I always go back to that history.

I prioritize what I want to get done (based on what I regret not doing previously or just miss) and figure out what my best chances are to make that happen. I spend my time on Disboards searching for ride/efficiency/maximization tips and history/fun/secret facts. We only have two days this next trip so I am really prioritizing. We are staying at the DLH for the first time ever to be able to get in early and make sure we ride the Monorail. I try to incorporate breaks where we are "doing something" while resting throughout the day and for us, Breakfast at Minnie is such a great way to see a TON of characters and have a breakfast that everyone enjoys (my DDs' favorite restaurant is "all you can eat buffet"). Sitting outside closest to the restrooms gets you close to a heavily used CM entrance and exit. It's a great place to see even more of those you love. And there's an exit right there if you need to go get them :love:

Best moments that we have had have been in 2012 when DD turned five on Christmas Eve (now DD9). After BBB we took her and DD who was 11 months at the time (now DD5) outside dressed as Cinderella(s). Peter Pan and Wendy just stopped by as they were getting their pics taken in front of the castle by a CM. They led them to Snow White's Grotto where Cinderella and two mice were just arriving. We have gorgeous pics with them and then Snow White came out. Also Donald Duck dancing with DD5 (in 2012) among other things. During our last trip in January my nephew and daughters dressed as Luke Skywalker, Rey and Princess Leia. The kids got so much attention from Darth Vader, Chewbacca, the Jedi Academy, the PhotoPass photographers, CM in general and even the general public that they had an amazing time. People were taking their pics and even asked for their autographs. They were in Heaven. So I guess many of the most memorable have involved the kids dressing up. But there's so much more than that.

It's awesome that you have been able to do both parks!

I got the Walt feels too! And my kids also dress up for the parks and it leads to a ton of magic with the characters! Those experiences can be so special.

I really like the idea of trying to learn more about the history and Walt before we go next time so I can look out for those details and be more aware of them.

That was one of the things I loved about DL. I’m a big planner and definitely missed that aspect when doing DL as compared to WDW, however, I have to say that we had some really cool unexpected moments come out of being able to plan less. Really enjoyed that go with the flow time. And 100% agree about Main Street. I don’t spend much time there in the Magic Kingdom, but I fell in love with it at DL.

I got the Walt feels too! And my kids also dress up for the parks and it leads to a ton of magic with the characters! Those experiences can be so special.

I really like the idea of trying to learn more about the history and Walt before we go next time so I can look out for those details and be more aware of them.
I only get one day off a week usually and DH and the girls were at school when I had my day off yesterday. The upcoming trip is a surprise for all three of them so I got to play with the new SMART TV and watch all my favorite History Channel episodes on Walt and Disney while being on DisBoards. Had to clear the history though like I was doing something nefarious! But seriously, those Walt feels. I cried hard in 2012 when watching one of the History Channel episodes and I believe it was Roy, or someone talking about Roy and Walt's last conversation when Walt was dying in the hospital and Walt spoke of his plans for WDW while Roy rubbed his feet. Makes me want to cry now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter