Disneyland table service

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
Hello, seeking feedback for table service recommendations across the resort. In the parks the menus seem disappointing offering only 4 options in some cases? We have 4 people with one being a picky eater , and like all kinds of food except for seafood . Used to WDW and this like culture shock lol. Any recommendations?

Table service in the park is limited compared to WDW, and after COVID the menus are even more limited, that's true. That being said, I think Carthay Circle is the best sit-down restaurant in a theme park in the world (but obviously not if you can't find anything for your picky eater on their menu).

Where the DLR parks shine compared to WDW is in quick-service. There are tons and tons of options, and they're generally quite good. I know it's different from the WDW vibe (and this is coming from someone who plans my WDW trips around the table service meals), but maybe give quick-service a chance.

Can you provide a little more information? When, and how many days, will you be visiting? How many table service meals (and which meals) are you thinking of?

California parks have much better quick service restaurants than WDW.

For a very nice meal - look at Napa Rose or Carthay Circle
For ambiance - look at Blue Bayou
For drinks - look at Trader Sams or Lamplight Lounge
For characters - Goofy's Kitchen, Storytellers, Plaza Inn
For picky eaters - possibly Cozy Cone, Pyms or Alien Pizza Planet depending on what they like to eat

The menus are definitely limited at DLR compared to WDW. That being said, we just got back from a week at WDW where we did all the parks for the first time. We had constantly heard about how amazing the food is but to be honest I found almost all the restaurants to be mediocre at best. BOG was a standout for being very good and Gasparilla was a standout for being so bad as to make us throw it out instead of eating. I agree with @LKing that the quick service at DLR is much better than WDW.

If you want good table service at DLR, you should always hit up Blue Bayou. What it lacks in food quality it makes up tenfold in ambiance. Carthay is definitely good but I personally didn't find my meal to be amazing. I also didn't like how slobby everyone seems to dress when going there. Maybe it's being in the south, but I definitely appreciated how people seemed to dress up a little to go to the nicer table service restaurants in WDW.

Last edited:

Plaza inn always has a nice variety for our varying tastes and has the feel of sit down. We also like Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe. We have def moved to more QS over the years as menus changed and seem to do really well with DCA QS choices. We mobile order since a few of us like different places.

Don't overlook the restaurants in the hotels and DTD. For lunch, I like Ballast Point and Craftsman Grill. Trader Sam's is fun. I haven't tried Ballast Point but I've heard good things about it. I've not tried Great Maple (Pixar Place) or the new DVC lounge in Disneyland Hotel but many seem to really like them. I haven't been to Jazz Kitchen since they destroyed the NOLA vibe and decor but I always loved their food before the change--just not sure how it compares now.

I was pretty dissapointed looking at the menu's at both the sit downs & counter service places. I know they "upgraded" the menu's and a lot of people see that as a plus. I like more simple meals.

I was pretty dissapointed looking at the menu's at both the sit downs & counter service places. I know they "upgraded" the menu's and a lot of people see that as a plus. I like more simple meals.
This - I like pretty much all ethnic food as well as standard American fare - I want to sit down and relax/be served and have a menu that offers something for everyone - is that too much to ask? at this point the buffets may work , carnation cafe, GCH craftsman. maybe cafe orleans. No issues with the quick service as there seems to be a good mix of stuff

We are staying 5 nights

Thanks for the feedback

This - I like pretty much all ethnic food as well as standard American fare - I want to sit down and relax/be served and have a menu that offers something for everyone - is that too much to ask? at this point the buffets may work , carnation cafe, GCH craftsman. maybe cafe orleans. No issues with the quick service as there seems to be a good mix of stuff

We are staying 5 nights

Thanks for the feedback
What kinds of foods are you looking for that you didn't see on the menus you checked? Maybe if you give us a bit more info we can recommend eating places at DLR what will have what you want.

I have not read the replies but as someone who spends time equally at WDW and Disneyland my best advice for you is to treat them as two different experiences and try not to compare. We do more table service at WDW because there is more table service at WDW.. and Disneyland my favorite foods are usually things found at QS. An upcoming trip I have, I only have one reservation and it's for Lamplight lounge.

What kinds of foods are you looking for that you didn't see on the menus you checked? Maybe if you give us a bit more info we can recommend eating places at DLR what will have what you want.

Mexican (it’s SoCal Astor all), Indian, Italian, middle eastern, Chinese, American BBQ, are all fine, as well as general american like steaks or various comfort foods. For the picky eater I noticed that Mac and cheese is pretty hard to find where WDW it’s everywhere. It’s not gonna wreck the vacation . I’m guessing since so many people go to DLR then leave for the day there just isn’t the demand there.

I would say for a Disneyland newbie- lamplight lounge, Blue Bayou are my recommendations.

Mexican: Rancho del Zocalo in DL and Cucina Cucamonga in DCA are great in-park options
Italian: Wine Country Trattoria in DCA for sit-down, Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta in DCA for counter service are both pretty good; Naples and Napolini in DTD are quite good

Don't overlook the restaurants in the hotels and DTD. For lunch, I like Ballast Point and Craftsman Grill. Trader Sam's is fun. I haven't tried Ballast Point but I've heard good things about it. I've not tried Great Maple (Pixar Place) or the new DVC lounge in Disneyland Hotel but many seem to really like them. I haven't been to Jazz Kitchen since they destroyed the NOLA vibe and decor but I always loved their food before the change--just not sure how it compares now.
Oops! I meant I like Ballast Point but haven't tried BLACK TAP.

I’m guessing since so many people go to DLR then leave for the day there just isn’t the demand there.
Be careful. If you start your planning with the expectation that DLR doesn't match up to WDW, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

There are many locals, myself included, that go to the parks regularly and eat at both the quick service and table services restaurants. Just because we don't spend the night doesn't mean that we don't dine at the parks, at the hotels and in DTD.

There was a previous thread rating the different mac n cheese dishes throughout the parks. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the thread. Regardless, mac n cheese is offered at

Disneyland
  • Galactic Grill
  • Hungry Bear
  • Jolly Holiday
  • Refreshment Corner
  • Tiana's Place
California Adventure
  • Aunt Cass Cafe
  • Cozy Cone
  • Flo's V8 Cafe
I asked when you are visiting, because DCA often has special food events. Right now there are several specialty mac n cheese dishes at the Food and Wine booths.

Mexican (it’s SoCal Astor all), Indian, Italian, middle eastern, Chinese, American BBQ, are all fine, as well as general American like steaks or various comfort foods.

For quick serve, you might look at
Mexican: Rancho del Zocalo & Cocina Cucamonga
Asian: Tropical Hideaway & San Fransokyo (Lucky Fortune Cookery & Aunt Cass Cafe Japanese curry bowl)
Mediterranean: Paradise Garden Grill
Italian: Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, Alien Pizza Planet

For reservation/sit down, in addition to what I listed above, you might consider Wine Country Trattoria, River Belle, Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe.

I would say for a Disneyland newbie- lamplight lounge, Blue Bayou are my recommendations.
I don’t get blue bayou - for $60-$75 per head there is a whopping 1 choice for those that don’t eat seafood - prime rib , would it kill the kitchen to add 2-3 more items like a steak or some kind of pasta dish?

Be careful. If you start your planning with the expectation that DLR doesn't match up to WDW, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

There are many locals, myself included, that go to the parks regularly and eat at both the quick service and table services restaurants. Just because we don't spend the night doesn't mean that we don't dine at the parks, at the hotels and in DTD.

There was a previous thread rating the different mac n cheese dishes throughout the parks. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the thread. Regardless, mac n cheese is offered at

Disneyland
  • Galactic Grill
  • Hungry Bear
  • Jolly Holiday
  • Refreshment Corner
  • Tiana's Place
California Adventure
  • Aunt Cass Cafe
  • Cozy Cone
  • Flo's V8 Cafe
I asked when you are visiting, because DCA often has special food events. Right now there are several specialty mac n cheese dishes at the Food and Wine booths.

For quick serve, you might look at
Mexican: Rancho del Zocalo & Cocina Cucamonga
Asian: Tropical Hideaway & San Fransokyo (Lucky Fortune Cookery & Aunt Cass Cafe Japanese curry bowl)
Mediterranean: Paradise Garden Grill

For reservation/sit down, in addition to what I listed above, you might consider Wine Country Trattoria, River Belle, Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe.
Thank you

I don’t get blue bayou - for $60-$75 per head there is a whopping 1 choice for those that don’t eat seafood - prime rib , would it kill the kitchen to add 2-3 more items like a steak or some kind of pasta dish?
Maybe BB would substitute more chicken instead of shrimp in the Creole Chicken?

Cafe Orleans has chicken pasta and Monte Cristo sandwiches both at lunch and dinner. BB has Monte Cristos at lunch.

I second the recommendation for checking out the options at the Grand Californian and Downtown Disney, both of which are only steps away from the parks.

Most people have already chimed in.

I’ll add that I really enjoyed Palm Breeze Bar at VDH if you’re willing to venture out a little bit to the hotel areas. Great Maple looks good too though I didn’t try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter