Disneyland Restoration

AxelGripp

Earning My Ears
The 1990's were a dark time for Disneyland

In the parks 60 year history, many attractions have come and went from the park, some memorable and some not. However, there were some attractions that had become iconic and defined the park the way rides like the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain has that did not deserve to be removed and had stupid reasons for it, mostly in the 90's. The first time I ever went to Disneyland was AFTER the 1998 refurbishment of Tommorowland, easily the worst thing to happen to the park and the cause of many classic rides to be unjustly closed down.

If we didn't have the Indiana Jones ride opening in 1995, I'd say that that 1989-1990 was the best time in history to visit Disneyland.

Below is a map of Disneyland from 1995, slightly edited to include the Skyway, Mission to Mars, the Motor Boat Cruise, the Tahitan Terrace, and the Mike Fink Keel Boats. This represents what I think is the best version of Disneyland (but sadly never existed with Indiana Jones).

my_best_version_of_disneyland_by_maxwhittemore-dahhmfx.jpg

Here what I think are the most important closed rides in Disneyland history, the ones I think they should bring back, the ones I'm not too sore about them closing, and the ones I'm not to sure about.

Bring Back

Captain EO
A fatality of Tommorowland '98, I was lucky enough for this attraction to come back from 2010-2015 long enough for me to experience it myself in Epcot. Sadly though, most of the "4-D" effects that really made this worth waiting in line for a 17 minute movie were absent. These days, the Magic Eye theater in Disneyland is used for what is basically a cliff note version of the Star Wars saga. The commercial said it best: "The wizardry of Lucas. The mastery of Copolla. The phenomenal music and dancing of Michael Jackson!" What more could you ask for in a 3-D experience? As long as they bring back the smoke and lasers this time.

Circle Vision 360
For all I know I could be in a small majority with this one, and I guess Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters has some crowd-pleasing value, but this is yet another classic attraction that meet it's demise thanks to Tommorowland '98. With 3-D being the norm today, it would be interesting to see what you can do with 3-D with a 360 degree screen surrounding you. Hey, if Universal Studios can just put two 3-D screen on the sides of the tram tour and call it "360", surely this is worth a shot for Disney.

Country Bear Jamboree
Believe it or not, this was one of the parks most popular attractions. But sadly, it was torn down in the early 2000's for a cheap Winnie the Pooh dark ride that looks like it belongs in Fantasyland rather than Critter Country. I shouldn't have to travel all the way to the East Coast to see this classic show.

Fantasy in the Sky
Actually, to be fair, Disneyland's oldest and most famous fireworks show did make a limited return in 2015 and is set to return in 2016. Maybe this is the proper place for a 7-minute fireworks show from the late 50's. Simply being featured alongside newer and more extravagant fireworks shows like "Remember... Dreams Come True" and "Disneyland Forever" is enough.

Main Street Electrical Parade
When you think of Disney parades, this is what immediately pops into your head. While it's had many spiritual successors throughout the years, there is a charm to this classic parade that none of them have been able to really recapture. I guess the deal is it's always traveling between The Magic Kingdom in Disneyworld and Disney's California Adventure. But Main Street in Anaheim California will always be it's true home. But can we not have the Tinkerbell Pixie Hollow float leading it? Whose Idea was it to make a float out of an average selling direct-to-video series and have to lead the Main Street Electrical Parade?

Mike Fink Keel Boats
I've just recently figured out what these boats looked like and they look awesome. Their small size really seems to make touring the Rivers of America feel very authentic. Surely they can make a new version that wont capsize.

Rocket to the Moon or Flight to the Moon or Mission to Mars or Whatever
Whatever you wanna call it, this attraction had been a staple of Tommorowland since it's opening and had been around until 1992. Sadly, it was taken out to make room for an attraction that never even came to fruition in this park. Hopefully though, if it ever does come back, they can still find a place for Redd Rocket's Pizza Port. That restaurant kicks ***.

Motor Boat Cruise
You get to drive motor boats. There's my whole argument right there.

Peoplemover
Yeah, you all knew this one was coming. No list of extinct Disney attractions would be complete without the iconic Goodyear Peoplemover that circled Tommorowland from 1967 to 1995. But once again, because of Tommorowland '98, this ride, as well as the Circle Vision theater were removed to make way for a high speed ride on a track with no banking turns. If I have to explain to you why that is a stupid idea, then your in the wrong line of work. These days, the abandoned track is still looming over Tommorowland. Sadly, possibilities for this rides return are opposed by todays strict OSHA regulations. I don't think they are that bad in Florida. However bad things might be, every option is worth exploring to bring this great attraction back.

Rocket Jets
"But why have the Rocket Jets atop the Peoplemover station, when you can have a similar ride planted at the entrance to Tommorowland, not only reducing the thrill factor by having it at a lower altitude, but also congesting crowd traffic coming in and out of the area?" Tommorowland '98. Why?

Skyway
The chances for this to come back are sadly thinned by a lot of the same reasons as the Peoplemover. Apparently after all these years, rebuilding it to go through the Matterhorn again is reportedly near impossible. It also doesn't help that they recently demolished the Fantasyland station to make way for Star Wars Land. It sucks, it takes years to build a ride, but only a couple days to knock it down. If you really can't rebuild the Skyway in it's original form, then may I offer an alternative? Build a new Skyway going from Disneyland to Disney's California Adventure. Seriously, I am so tired of always having to walk back and forth between parks. Then again, Disney does like squeezing every penny they can with those park hopper tickets...

Swiss Family Tree house
Since 1999, this attraction is now, Tarzans Tree house. Frankly, when your movie has a soundtrack by Phil Collins, it's bound to be dated fast. Returning the tree house to its original state would be so easy.

Tahitian Terrace
They never even bothered to take down the Aladdin's Oasis Sign and the area is totally empty. May as well.

I Dunno

House of the Future
Despite it's popularity and recognition after all this time, it really didn't have a very long life at the park. It closed It opened in the late 50's and closed before the New Tommorowland of 1967 even came to light. While it's replacements weren't exactly anything to get excited about (an Ariel meet & greet and Pixie Hollow), it seems like it's time at the park was limited to begin with. Plus, it was the "Monsanto" House of the Future, and I'm not sure it could exist again without their sponsorship.

Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
This is an interesting one. Walt Disney's famous Animatronic show about advancements in technology through the eyes of a 20th Century family has become a favorite to many Disney Park die-hards, and it's theme "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tommorow" has become the anthem for Disney's vision of the future. What a lot of people often forget however, is that it had a very short time at the park, 6 years to be exact. In 1973, before Space Mountain opened on either coast, General Electric suggested the show be moved to Florida, where it has remained ever since. Even the show that came after, America Sings, lasted more than twice as long at Disneyland, even after it crushed someone to death. Oddly enough, in the years between 1988 and 1998, the whole building was just empty. Maybe Florida is where the attraction belongs, even if it did take them 19 years to go back to the classic theme.

Justifiable Closures

Adventure Thru Innerspace
To this day, I still wish I could have experienced this amazing attraction which opened as part of the 1967 refurbishment of Tommorowland for myself. To board an atom-mobile and go through the Mighty Microscope. But this ride's closure made way for Star Tours, so I guess they replaced a 9.0 with a 9.5. Then again, if they decide to place Star Tours in Star Wars Land, who knows what can be done with that space...

Update: Actually, I had an idea. You know how when the Peoplemover entered the Carousel of Progress/America Sings building and it entered what was called the "SuperSpeed Tunnel", and in later years was "Thru the World of Tron"? Well, if they ever do bring the Peoplemover back, I think it'd be cool to have a little tribute to Adventure Thru Innerspace as it passes through there.

Flying Saucers
This did seem like a fun and unique kick on bumper cars. But it only lasted 5 years and the space is now occupied by Space Mountain. Between the Flying Saucers and Space Mountain, there really is not contest. Space Mountain wins.

Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland
This attraction I've been fascinated with for a long time. Today when you go through the area around Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, you can still see remnants of this classic long-running attraction, including a hollow cave that seems to serve no purpose. It's almost like an archeological sight, great for tours. This one really doesn't need to come back, especially now that we have Big Thunder Mountain.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
You left off my sons favorite-Innoventions though it went along with the house of the future. Many a hot or rainy afternoon has been spent there playing around and get a break from the bustle of the park without leaving the park. We missed it back in March.

We are no longer cool since you won't bring back Adventures Thru Inner Space. How dare you!!!!

:lmao:

Fine. But you could at least read through the entire list.

Well, you WON me at Caption EO, lol. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Captain EO is THE attraction that got me to Disneyland in the first place because I love Michael Jackson.

Well, you WON me at Caption EO, lol. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Captain EO is THE attraction that got me to Disneyland in the first place because I love Michael Jackson.
Yeah, he was the greatest entertainer who ever lived

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter