Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I think there is a serious disconnect of what Disney is like if you haven't gone recently. Even before all this, I would hear comments from work colleagues or friends like 'Why would you want to go and just stand in lines all the time?' There's such an association that Disney=large crowds that's hard to dispel. People don't understand that even before the pandemic we had things like FastPass, touring strategies, etc. Most of the comments I hear that are anti-opening for Disney are from folks that don't usually go to the parks anyways so likely aren't familiar with how safe they're making it right now. Which is a good reason to get that positive PR out there so that negative association starts to diminish.

I've said this before on this thread but comparing theme parks to schools shouldn't even be a consideration. We feel safe traveling to Disney this winter but I don't feel confident in sending my 10 year back to his elementary school yet (if they even open) which is why we opted for virtual learning. The two scenarios are just so completely different. I've worked in education my whole life from K-12 to now in higher education and it's just waaaay more complicated.
Some people on different social media were freaking out recently because “Universal Studios hit its capacity!!!!” They had no idea that US (and WDW) are operating at only a fraction of its normal attendance. Disney might do better to get more of this campaign-y style information out into the public through commercials or something. I find today’s press conference perplexing.

Some people on different social media were freaking out recently because “Universal Studios hit its capacity!!!!” They had no idea that US (and WDW) are operating at only a fraction of its normal attendance. Disney might do better to get more of this campaign-y style information out into the public through commercials or something. I find today’s press conference perplexing.
Same with DTD and capacity. The reason why there’s an 80-120 wait before getting in is because they keep the crowds very low. The smaller shops literally had 7 people in them.

I saw all those comments too! Along with that viral TikTok video of some of the crowds in the Harry Potter area. But again... masks make the difference. I'm going to feel much safer, even if areas of the park do feel more crowded, with everyone masked up then I would feel unmasked in a bar or something along those lines.

Wasn't there going to be another CA conference today or did I imagine it? I don't know if I can handle watching anymore, I may just have to opt out and stick to you guys for more info. I can barely handle watching my own state's news lately haha!

I saw all those comments too! Along with that viral TikTok video of some of the crowds in the Harry Potter area. But again... masks make the difference. I'm going to feel much safer, even if areas of the park do feel more crowded, with everyone masked up then I would feel unmasked in a bar or something along those lines.

Wasn't there going to be another CA conference today or did I imagine it? I don't know if I can handle watching anymore, I may just have to opt out and stick to you guys for more info. I can barely handle watching my own state's news lately haha!
Today is Dr Ghaly with the color tier system changes.

From Attractions Magazine twitter account - "Disney Parks Chairman D’Amaro ended the press conference saying “It’s time” for Disneyland to reopen."

I just immediately thought of this in Chairman D'Amaro's voice:

27c1db80cc489bc5fc4941115b492dca--disney-lion-king-the-lion-king.jpg

Also, some delayed thoughts about going to DtD while the parks are closed. I told another member this privately last week, but thought I'd share it:

Going to Downtown Disney with the parks closed was like being at an ex-partner's house just after breaking up, but their parents still like you, and you had to stop by to pick up some things. The parents were there and cooked some food, and you were hungry, so you stayed and ate.

I wonder if some of the people who are against the parks reopening are coming at it from a "misery loves company" standpoint. I know a lot of people are really angry that schools aren't in person, and I think they'd be fuming if theme parks reopened but parents were still left scrambling trying to figure out what to do about 7 year olds who can't be home alone, but can't go to a school building.

Remember, while the population in this part of the country that has actually been medically affected by the virus is much smaller than the population that has been economically affected by it, people do get very ill from this virus, and it does kill people. Many of the people that became seriously ill from the virus, or nearly lost or lost parents/family members to COVID-19 (especially in the beginning when the government was downplaying the virus), are very wary of any push forward with reopening of places like Disneyland that draw in people from all over the country. The people that don’t want theme parks open are the people who have a very strong mistrust in the government’s current handling of the pandemic up to this point. My family that lives in NYC all became very, very ill from the virus. My cousin and her husband both caught it before there was testing available. My cousin recovered in a couple of weeks, but it took her husband was a “long-hauler” and suffered for nearly 4 months with symptoms so severe he couldn’t work. They unknowingly before they exhibited symptoms passed it to my aunt and uncle and my cousin’s in-laws. Her in-laws were hospitalized for months (there were several times where hospital staff FaceTimed her husband to tell him to say goodbye to his mom because they were sure she only had a few hours to live), and both had to be transferred to rehabilitation centers after finally being discharged from the hospital.

My cousin thinks I am crazy and actually gets really upset when I talk about wanting to go back to Disneyland. I’ve been more careful lately about our conversations, because she is clearly traumatized.

I don’t think the people that don’t want the parks to open are in the “misery loves company” crowd. I think there are people in this country that have contracted the virus, work in the medical system and watched people suffer from the virus, or have lost loved one to the virus that don’t trust the government to properly handle a new wave of cases, no matter what safety precautions are being taken, and generally are against reopening places like theme parks that draw in large crowds.

Last edited:
"...Disney California Adventure Park & Downtown Disney District Vice President Patrick Finnegan offered one new bit of information: "We're pleased to announce today that we are in the process of finalizing a plan that would allow our cast members to have access to [Covid-19] testing in their own communities. We'll have more information to share with our cast members soon."

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202009/7736/
"In their own communities" --Was that an issue with the unions?

"...Disney California Adventure Park & Downtown Disney District Vice President Patrick Finnegan offered one new bit of information: "We're pleased to announce today that we are in the process of finalizing a plan that would allow our cast members to have access to [Covid-19] testing in their own communities. We'll have more information to share with our cast members soon."

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202009/7736/
"In their own communities" --Was that an issue with the unions?
Uhhh... They already have access in their own communities. Is Disney gonna provide them the address to their community testing sites on a CM website or something?

I'm in a grumpy (and Sleepy and Dopey) frame of mind.

I feel that Disney is grandstanding with the "Look at our changes!" statements but real effort at compromise has not been done. They want to offer reduced service at the same cost. Why won't they operate the hotels? Because they don't want to reduce room prices and they know their inflated prices won't work right now. Could they charge a fair price based on their amenities and still do well? Probably, but they may not want to set a precedent.

Why not offer a food event like Knotts? Because charging $35 for entrance and food will make some people think, rides are not worth a $69-$119 difference.

There are so many creative people at Disney. I really wish that they could find another way to do business.

Any chance Orange County moves up a tier?
The state Covid map has been updated and Orange County is still listed as "substantial", but when you view the rate and percentage they now are in the "orange" tier, and I suspect that have to remain there for two more weeks to move? Here are the stats for OC shown on the infamous Covid 19 website;
Orange County
New COVID-19 cases per day per 100k: 3.6
Adjusted case rate for tier assignment: 3.6
Positivity rate: 3.1%

The state Covid map has been updated and Orange County is still listed as "substantial", but when you view the rate and percentage they now are in the "orange" tier, and I suspect that have to remain there for two more weeks to move? Here are the stats for OC shown on the infamous Covid 19 website;
Orange County
New COVID-19 cases per day per 100k: 3.6
Adjusted case rate for tier assignment: 3.6
Positivity rate: 3.1%

Yes, OC would have to stay Orange for another week and then can potentially be switched on Oct 6.

“I encourage you to treat theme parks like you would other sectors. Help us reopen,” said Disney parks chairman Josh D’Amaro on Tuesday during a virtual press conference. “We’re ready. It’s time." D’Amaro called for “guidelines that are fair and equitable” and said the longer Disneyland is closed, “the more devastating the impact will be to Orange County" and the people out of work.

Ain't that the truth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter