Disneyland Questions, please help.

jmunguia

Earning My Ears
We've been to WDW 4 times now. This is our 1st time at DL, at California visiting my father for the 1st time. We are going 2 13-18 & thinking about DL that Sat or Sun. 2 adults 2 children boys 4 and 10. I have manyquestions:

Do you guys recommend the Rainforest Cafe? I'm not seeing much about it on this board & is it the same as one in WDW Can we use vouchers for this one?

Can you guys recommend a NICE, clean hotel in or around LAX best rate of course? My father is in Inglewood (his apt. is way to small) which is 9 min away according to expedia.

Is there a way to get discount one day tix for DL & CA? AAA, BJ's, Disney Store, etc. What about timeshare tours for free tix?

If we decide to do one park, which is better for us? We like rides, atmosphere, we would like to take full advantage of the whole park.

Is there anything free in general? My fiance bday will be that Sunday. Any must haves?

Any advice on what weather might be?

Where can I buy vouchers besides connections or a fee based program?

Any discounts for tix, parking, food, hotel, car rental, etc? I already booked usairways from ny to lax 4 people $1048. I hope I did good.

Any other advice?

All input is appreciated. Thank you.

Do stay on Harbor Drive between Katella and Ball. This is a must!

pick a hotel WITH a shuttle!! by days end you'll want a ride.

DL has more "E rides" but there is plenty to do at DCA,too!! and I think all tickets are hoppers now.

We just returned 1/1/03-1/7/03 We had nice warm weather. But I understand that this was exceptional. And We did encounter the Santa Ana Winds one night with 60 mile an hour winds-these are hot winds. By morning they had dropped and we went to DL anyway. it was pretty protected inside the park.

I think you did great on airline tickets 3 of us all Adult tickets Paid $653. from oregon to onterio,ca airport.

Do rent an ONSITE rental car,even if it is more!! finding an offsite rental place can be a mess.

I've only eaten at two Rainforest Cafe's in California, one of which was the Anaheim one at Downtown Disney, and the food was fine. It's a chain and it's no better or worse than the other one I've eaten at. It's a fun place for the kids and the food's not bad. I'd eat there again with the kids but it's not my choice for an adult's only meal. As for vouchers, I don't believe you can use them there. It's not Disney owned or Disney run.

As for voucher's from Connections, can you get voucher's for Disneyland? I know people buy them for WDW but at DL, the only vouchers for meals that I know of are the one's you purchase if have purchased a vacation package with Disneyland.

As for discount tickets: the best deal for you would be the So. Calif. resident special. Until May 14th, you can visit two parks on two seperate days (no park hopping) for the price of one. That's $47 for adults, $37 for 3-10 year olds. Since your father lives in Inglewood, he would qualify for this special and may purchase up to 5 tickets. This is assuming your father will be going with you to the park. If not, this won't work. They usually ask for I.D. to verify your zip code. There are no other discounted tickets for one or two days. The only other discounts I'm aware of are for multi-day (3 or more days) passes.

If you're only going to visit one park, I'd vote for DL. It's a bigger park with more rides.

You should know that the weekend you're planning on going is the President's Day holiday weekend. That means the park will be crowded. The Friday or Monday of your trip will probably be less crowded.

:bounce: Are you sure about my father buying up to 5 resident tickets and us being able to use them. I wondered about that. That would be great if we could use them, but like you said they ask for ID, would this be a problem for us? And now we are thinking about bringing my 14 year old brother. Any input someone can give me about the resident tix, would be greatly appreciated.

I just remembered, I have a 5 day hoppper that I used only 3 days on at WDW. I just read on Mousavers that these can be used at DL. Me and my sister went so she has one to, maybe she will give it to me not sure though. My question, should I save the hoppers because I know we are going back to WDW next year. Especially if it is totally legal for my father to buy us resident tix are we better off in the long run just buying the tix? And yes, I believe he would come with us, but I still have to ask him. He doesn't know yet that I actually booked a flight.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I had my AAA (Massachusetts) quote me a rate for 7 days (4/20 - 4/27) for a full-size car. They quoted me $428.00 to pick it up in San Diego and return it in Anaheim.

Anyway, I went on line and through Budget Rent a Car, for the same time/fullsize, I got a car for $145.00. I am thrilled.

I also had them quote me hotels in San Diego and Anaheim. I called both hotels directly and on one I got a cheaper rate with the Entertainment card (a $140 savings for us) and the other I went through the arestravel.com site (a $25.00 savings). This rate was versus the AAA rate I was quoted.

We have gone to WDW many times so I know all of the tricks. Boy, this trip to DL is hard!

Good luck.

Originally posted by jmunguia
:: Are you sure about my father buying up to 5 resident tickets and us being able to use them. I wondered about that. :

Yes, I'm sure. I called Disneyland after I read the article and was told one can purchase up to 5 tickets on the special. Just to be sure, I just dug up the ad from our Sunday entertainment section. Here's what the fine print said:

"Valid for Southern California residents within the ZIP codes 90000 - 93599. Each day's admission valid at one Park only and each day's admission must be in a different Park. Limit five tickets per person per day with valid ID. First day of use must be on day of purchase. Tickets are nontransferable."

As for using the unused days on your WDW park hopper pass: yes, you definitely can use them at DL or DCA. I've done it myself BUT, since you know you will be going back to WDW next year, I'd save it for that trip. Admission to DL is cheaper than WDW and parks at both locations raise their prices annually which would increase your savings. I used mine at DL because I had it for six years and didn't know when I'd be back to WDW. As it turns out, I went the following year after using up my WDW pass but, hey, C'est la vie.

Going onto car rentals: locally, Enterprise will often have the best rates but it may not be convenient. If you're flying into LAX, they might have a shuttle to their rental office. For neighborhood offices, they will pick you up and take you to their rental office. All of their offices are closed on Sundays and are generally only open a few hours in the mornings on Saturdays so if you have to return or pick up during the weekend, check their schedule.

Hotels/motels: I've not stayed at any near DL since I live locally but in the past year on this board, many people have recommended the Candy Cane Inn. It's located on Harbor Blvd. on the same block as DL so it's in convenient walking distance. They're in the AAA book so you should be able to get a discount. Disney is also running a special at Paradise Pier at $99 per weekday night. You can phone them at (714) 956-MICKEY. Request rate plan LMQ.

I will definately call Disney about the resident rates. I need to make sure because my father might not have a drivers license, he's old and doesn't drive anymore. So, that would be great if I could get the resident rate.

Car Rental: I got a minivan rental with Alamo for $189, for 5 days. Do you think AAA can beat that for me, I'll have to see. About Alamo, I have to catch a shuttle, does anyone know if the shuttle is reliable and the area that the shuttle is bringing us to, is okay?

Hotel: I prefer something in or around the airport. I'm mostly visiting my father that is 10 minutes from the airport. We are going to Disney for 2 days. So unless there is a super duper deal for staying on Disneyland property, I prefer to stay in or very close to the airport.

Can someone recommend something? Thanks.

We're staying at the Portofino Inn & Suites for two nights while we visit Disneyland and DCA. We have a kids suite, which is supposed to have two bedrooms, one with a queen or king, and the other with bunk beds. I got a rate of $99 a night and it's just across the street from the parks.

We're also staying at LAX the night we fly back home. We're staying at the Holiday Inn and got a rate of $55 per night. The only hitch is that once we made the reservations, we could not cancel.

Both sounded like great rates to me! I'm not sure what you have in mind.

We got a great rate from Thrifty. If you have AAA, mention it and the rate is even better.

Good luck!

Disneyjih2002- Can I ask what kind of car you rented, for how long and how much?

I considered staying at LAX and spending the night at a Disney location one night between the two days we plan to be there. The only thing is, I think that could make my hotel costs more expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong because I know the kids would like to stay at Disney Land. The hotel you're refering to is a Disney hotel, right? Or is it just one very close to DL?

I'm looking for some referrals on hotels on or around LAX based on experience. I know I could find a good rate, but I need to make sure the accomodations are suitable. We aren't looking for anything extravegant but something that is nice.

Can anyone comment? Thanks.

I need to make sure because my father might not have a drivers license, he's old and doesn't drive anymore.

Does your father have a California I.D.? The state department of motor vehicles issues them if you want an I.D. but don't drive. That would do.

Car Rental: that rate looks pretty good to me, especially since it's a holiday weekend during your trip. Wouldn't hurt to check what AAA rates would give you though.

LAX hotel: Sorry, can't give any personal recommendations but here's a website that reviews hotels.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

also check Travelocity and 1travel. They allow reviews of the properties they are selling. If no one can give you a personal recommendation, this could be the next best thing.

This might sound really weird, but we really liked the Motel 6 at LAX. It was very near the airport, and it was something like $70 per night (this was a few years ago). It's not like most Motel 6's, this one is like a hotel with interior hallways.

If you would really like to stay near DL but you're concerned about cost, you will find MANY good places to stay that are right across the street from DL. You should be able to find something under $80 per night. Did you really want to stay at a Disney property? There are many hotels that are just as close, but cost much less. One option is to book one of the hotels on Harbor Blvd., and keep checking expedia or Travelocity for good deals at Disney resorts. The lowest I've heard of is $120 at Paradise Pier.

I'd like to stay at DL only if there is a super duper deal. I didn't realize they only have 3 hotels! My stay in CA is going be to 5 days. I going to DL for 2 days, so I think it makes better sense to stay on or very near LAX, besides that, if my father goes and (I want that resident discount) he needs a ride back to Inglewood.

On that note, Is Inglewood a bad neighborhood? For some reason, I thought I heard that. He lives near the Hollywood Park Race Track. Obviously, I've never been there, or to California for that matter. I just want to know what I should expect.

If anyone else can suggest a nice clean hotel w/ mini refrigerator in room, I'd really really appreicate it. Then I can go to cheaptickets, travelocity, etc, etc.... to find a deal on that hotel. Thanks again. I'm learning here.....

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I bought the Southern California annual passport in Nov 2002, and I don't even live In Ca!! They let me upgrade my one day ticket to the passport. Great deal. I kept telling them that I don't live in CA, and they said it was fine. Almost all the summer months are blocked out, and at least almost all Sat. throughout the year.
Got at great deal at Hyatt for this weekend- AAA Hyattpalooza rate 0f $89 night, which includes 2 full american breakfast. Just go to www.hyatt.com
Checked on the annual passholder's rates for the DL hotels, and the best rate I could get was $159 for DisneyPier. They aren't offering the $79 rate, as they said.

On that note, Is Inglewood a bad neighborhood? For some reason, I thought I heard that. He lives near the Hollywood Park Race Track. Obviously, I've never been there, or to California for that matter. I just want to know what I should expect.

Inglewood, in general, is not a great neighborhood. Some parts are better than others. If it were me, I'd stay west of the 405 freeway. The hotels nearest LAX should be fine. The Westchester area is right next to LAX (this is an area of L.A., not a city). To the south of LAX is El Segundo. Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach and Torrance are very nice neighborhoods to look at too although they will be more expensive than those near LAX.

Holiday Inn is running a special through February. Stay one night, get the next free. That would include their hotels at LAX and Torrance. Here's the link:
http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h/d/hi/vp/1/87/dec/hi/1/en/fop/fnus.html

You might be able to find a better deal than this but it doesn't hurt to compare this with other places.

:D As you know i have airtix, carrental and now I have hotel. We went with the Candy Cane Inn. $82 a night.

I still have to call Disneyland about the resident tix and what ID is valid. We decided that with res.tix we will go to both parks.

Exactly how easy is it to walk from the CandyCaneInn to DL and DCA? Keep in mind we have 3 kids. I decided to bring my 13 yrold brother. We like the idea of not having to pay for parking. And if its not so easy or close the the actual park gate, is it a long wait for the shuttles, (for those who have stayed at the CCI.)

That Sunday that we are there, it will be my fiance's bday. Are there any freebies or tips?

Meal Vouchers? Can we buy these for DL? And if so, were is the list of restuarants they can be used at? If not, are there any tips for saving money? I know about going to Wal., Tar., Kmart, etc to buy water, snacks, fruit but, while in the park, are there any good meals at good prices? (we are not looking for any fancy/adult dining, its all about an impressive fun time for all of us) ANYTHING pleassssee?

We are already over budget. I originally wasn't planning on my brother, which made us need an extra ticket, minivan (since that makes 6 of us bro and father), extra ticket and extra extra food. Any deals or money saving tips are greatly appreciated.

On that note: Anything free at the parks and for a sightseeing day around Los Angeles, anything free or close to free to do?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH... ITS BIG HELP.
Are any other boards on this site helpful for DL.

:D As you know i have airtix, carrental and now I have hotel. We went with the Candy Cane Inn. $82 a night.

I still have to call Disneyland about the resident tix and what ID is valid. We decided that with res.tix we will go to both parks.

Exactly how easy is it to walk from the CandyCaneInn to DL and DCA? Keep in mind we have 3 kids. I decided to bring my 13 yrold brother. We like the idea of not having to pay for parking. And if its not so easy or close the the actual park gate, is it a long wait for the shuttles, (for those who have stayed at the CCI.)

That Sunday that we are there, it will be my fiance's bday. Are there any freebies or tips?

Meal Vouchers? Can we buy these for DL? And if so, were is the list of restuarants they can be used at? If not, are there any tips for saving money? I know about going to Wal., Tar., Kmart, etc to buy water, snacks, fruit but, while in the park, are there any good meals at good prices? (we are not looking for any fancy/adult dining, its all about an impressive fun time for all of us) ANYTHING pleassssee?

We are already over budget. I originally wasn't planning on my brother, which made us need an extra ticket, minivan (since that makes 6 of us bro and father), extra ticket and extra extra food. Any deals or money saving tips are greatly appreciated.

On that note: Anything free at the parks and for a sightseeing day around Los Angeles, anything free or close to free to do?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH... ITS BIG HELP.
Are any other boards on this site helpful for DL.

Birthday tips: don't really have any but if you haven't checked out the first topic on this board about birthday celebrations at DL, you probably should. I don't know of anything freebies except maybe a sticker that declares today's your birthday. I think you get that at city hall.

Meals: According to Mary at mousesavers.com, meal vouchers at DL are only available if you've purchased a DL package. You can get a 10% discount with an American Express card at the French Market in New Orleans Square and at the Plaza Inn on Main Street. If you really want to save money, my advice is to pack your own lunch. DL provides a nice picnic area with lockers just outside the front gate. If your room doesn't have a fridge, you can purchase a cheap cooler to keep your perishables in. If you don't want to make your own sandwiches, you can go to any of the local supermarket's deli counter and have them make sandwiches for you. Ralph's Supermarket will do a kids meal for a $1.99. That includes a sandwhich, chips, a small apple or banana, a little can of juice, a little bag of animal crackers, stickers and a toy. That would be good for your 4 year old.

Free stuff at the parks: well, there's plenty of entertainment included with admission. What has not been on the printed schedule but is available are the storytimes at both parks. In Fantasyland at the princess shop, one of the princesses tells her story with a helper who acts it out. My 3 year old ds and 5 year old dd find it pretty amusing. That's daily at 11a.m., 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. On weekends in Adventureland, Aladin and Jasmin also have storytimes. I haven't seen this one yet. At DCA, campfire stories are told throughout the day with trail ranger Gertie and Chip and Dale acting it out at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. This is pretty funny, even the 10 and 13 year olds might like. Email DL for the times. At DL, all the boys will probably enjoy Innoventions in Tomorrowland. It's smaller than the one in WDW but there's plenty to interest them. Not to be missed at DCA is the Aladdin show. I'm sure you've read other posts about this. Not sure of what other free stuff your looking for.

Free stuff outside the park: In L.A., there's the California Science Museum. Admission is free. Olvera Street in downtown L.A. is a re-creation of what early L.A. was like. Kind of a Mexican village feel although it's a bit touristy. Near that is Chinatown. Hollywood Blvd. near Highland is Mann's (Grauman's) Chinese Theater with all the stars foot prints. Right next to that is the new home of the oscar's, the Kodak theater. Just read that they are giving tours of the theater but there is a fee for that. There are also free tapings of live t.v. shows although I do have to warn you, you could be standing in line for a long time and not get in. They give out a lot of free tickets to ensure a full audience. A stroll down Venice beach might be interesting. That's where the original Muscle Beach is. There are often street entertainers there as well as some of the more colorful characters in Southern California. Try the Jodi Maroni sausages there. Closer to DL in Orange County are the Block of Orange and the Irvine Spectrum. Both are shopping/entertainment centers with restaraunts and movie theaters. If you could post what kind of things interest your family, I might be able to come up with other things for you to see or do.

Other boards for DL info: Mousesavers.com
LaughingPlace.com
MousePlanet.com
Mousetalk.com

Just got back from DL. There are no more discounts with AmEx- the offical credit card is now Visa. However, you do get 10% off some restaurants with your AP. Check out the Bday party info at the Plaza Inn at DL. It looked like there were quite a few tables where 4-5 people were celebrating, and it looked like fun!:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter