• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland questions from a Disney World regular - any advice appreciated!

Ok now I'm worried! We are doing DLR and SD in September. 4 nights at DLH and 3 nights in SD. Our flight going home is out of orange county John Wayne at 10am on the Thursday after labor day. We will be leaving SD and going straight to the airport. What time does everyone suggest leaving SD to make a 10am flight out of John Wayne? I know it would have been a lot easier to fly out of San Diego but we are renting a camaro (my surprise bday gift to my hubby!) and it needs to be dropped off at the same airport we pick it up at. Would 5am be a reasonable time to leave San Diego to make the 10am flight in orange county? TIA!!

Hmm. It depends on how paranoid you are about getting to the airport early, like we are. I'm usually sitting in the boarding area at least and hour and a half before a flight. Give yourself an extra 20-30 minutes to return a car. We've done this scenario 3 times in the past couple of years. For a 10am flight to make sure you don't have to worry about traffic, I would be on the road no later than 6am. But knowing me, I would be on the road at 5:30am. :)

Ok now I'm worried! We are doing DLR and SD in September. 4 nights at DLH and 3 nights in SD. Our flight going home is out of orange county John Wayne at 10am on the Thursday after labor day. We will be leaving SD and going straight to the airport. What time does everyone suggest leaving SD to make a 10am flight out of John Wayne? I know it would have been a lot easier to fly out of San Diego but we are renting a camaro (my surprise bday gift to my hubby!) and it needs to be dropped off at the same airport we pick it up at. Would 5am be a reasonable time to leave San Diego to make the 10am flight in orange county? TIA!!

I like to get to the airport 1 hour before flight time. Based on that, I would get to John Wayne at 9am.

So, that means leaving SD around 7am. On a weekday, however, this will not be enough time at that hour so, I would add an hour. This would have you leaving SD at 6am. BUT... you need to factor in time to return your rental car as well.

So, that leaves you departing SD at 5am. You will most likely have no traffic and get to John Wayne by 7am, return car, and be waiting for your flight by 8am wondering why on Earth you are there so early.

HOWEVER - leave SD at 6am and you could hit some nasty morning traffic on the 5 freeway after 7am. Potentially, you could arrive at the airport after 8:30am, giving you less than an hour and a half to return your car, get checked in, and get to your flight. Too tight for me. I'd rather enjoy some breakfast at the airport with peace of mind. :goodvibes

I would leave San Diego around 5am to be safe.

Or... drive up the night before, sleep at a hotel near the airport, and not mess with the 5 freeway (aka So. Cal's largest parking lot) as part of your departure day.

- Dreams

I like to get to the airport 1 hour before flight time. Based on that, I would get to John Wayne at 9am.

So, that means leaving SD around 7am. On a weekday, however, this will not be enough time at that hour so, I would add an hour. This would have you leaving SD at 6am. BUT... you need to factor in time to return your rental car as well.

So, that leaves you departing SD at 5am. You will most likely have no traffic and get to John Wayne by 7am, return car, and be waiting for your flight by 8am wondering why on Earth you are there so early.

HOWEVER - leave SD at 6am and you could hit some nasty morning traffic on the 5 freeway after 7am. Potentially, you could arrive at the airport after 8:30am, giving you less than an hour and a half to return your car, get checked in, and get to your flight. Too tight for me. I'd rather enjoy some breakfast at the airport with peace of mind. :goodvibes

I would leave San Diego around 5am to be safe.

Or... drive up the night before, sleep at a hotel near the airport, and not mess with the 5 freeway (aka So. Cal's largest parking lot) as part of your departure day.

- Dreams

You only get to the airport 1 hour early? I thought 2 hours was the recommended time. We try to get to the airport 1.5 to 2 hours early. I'm paranoid these days about getting there too late and checking-in too late. I don't want to lose my seat or not have my luggage checked in time. We're always early enough to get checked in, get through security, and then get a coffee and relax a bit before the flight.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!! As I already have my non-refundable hotel booked for 3 nights at Pacific Terrace, staying at a hotel by the airport is not an option. I usually like to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time so I think if we leave by 5, we should be good! Better early than late! Besides, it will be nice to catch the sunset driving up the coast in our camaro one last time! I cannot WAIT! :)

You only get to the airport 1 hour early? I thought 2 hours was the recommended time. We try to get to the airport 1.5 to 2 hours early. I'm paranoid these days about getting there too late and checking-in too late. I don't want to lose my seat or not have my luggage checked in time. We're always early enough to get checked in, get through security, and then get a coffee and relax a bit before the flight.
Depending upon the airport, yeah, 1 hour. If I am flying out of LAX I leave more time than John Wayne because it's necessary to do so. Since we have traveled quite a lot, we have a good sense of timing and adjust accordingly based on the airport. That is why I mentioned it depends upon how early the OP wants to arrive. Personal comfort. My advice above was based on my experience with John Wayne airport since that's where the OP is flying out of on departure day. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!! ... I usually like to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time so I think if we leave by 5, we should be good!

Okay, so based on that and working backwards...
10am - flight
8am - arrival at airport
7:30am - return rental car
5:30am - 2 hours for drive from SD
5:00am - extra 30 minutes to get you through south Orange County before traffic starts to build.

And then running it forward:

5:00am departure
7:00am arrive at rental car return
7:30am arrive at airport
2 and a half hours until flight time. :goodvibes

You have extra time for morning traffic and if the freeway is completely clear and you get to the area of John Wayne WAY early, you could have an early breakfast at a restaurant near the airport or... cruise around in your camaro for a bit before handing it back over. :wizard:

Enjoy!

- Dreams

Isn't the car rental return at John Wayne? I know LAX you have to take a shuttle to rental cars but I thought John Wayne, rental cars were right at the terminal?

Isn't the car rental return at John Wayne? I know LAX you have to take a shuttle to rental cars but I thought John Wayne, rental cars were right at the terminal?

We've already rented cars onsite at John Wayne. The drop off is in the lot right by the terminal. Just a short walk.

Most are, yes. I didn't know who/where you rented the Camaro from, fancy car and all that. :goodvibes Was just factoring in any extra time you may need.

At a small airport like John Wayne and you are not leaving the country, I would think an hour ahead is sufficient. You are already confirmed as you have completed half of your trip, should be a quick check in.

At a small airport like John Wayne and you are not leaving the country, I would think an hour ahead is sufficient. You are already confirmed as you have completed half of your trip, should be a quick check in.

I agree... for smaller airports, especially if you check in online the day before, extra especially if you don't check bags (we don't) an hour is plenty of time... we usually aim for 90 minutes before take-off, cause dd likes to goof around in any of the shops they have...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter