Disneyland planned but having never been before panic

escapeartist

Mouseketeer
I just booked a 5 night Disneyland trip for me and dh in September. We are 60 and 70 yo. Dh went for his senior high school trip over 50 years ago! Me, never. I’m fluent in Disney World but not Disneyland I have so many questions I don’t know where to start. Where can I get more info to help me prepare? Warning, I’m a planner and need to be as dh has mobility issues and I have health stuff. Can you guys give me links or advice? We are staying offsite for budget reasons.

Disneyland Daily is great for first timers. We can help you, of course but she has a pretty good overview. Granted, she's all about riding rides but she also has some good posts on fun things to look for at Disneyland.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-first-timers-guide-to-disneyland/

I don't know how well versed you are on YouTube but I think you can find some great content if you follow Provost Park Pass. He has some great videos on all the unique things you can see at Disneyland and California Adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/@provostparkpass

There's also a great WDW channel that also does Disneyland content occasionally and it's geared for WDW people who might be coming to DL for the first time and what are the differences in how you handle DL as compared to what you're used to with WDW. That's DFBGuide. I don't know if these will work but if you go to her site on YouTube, they have all the old videos on there. She's my go to for WDW information when we're planning a trip there.

Disneyland Daily is great for first timers. We can help you, of course but she has a pretty good overview. Granted, she's all about riding rides but she also has some good posts on fun things to look for at Disneyland.

I don't know how well versed you are on YouTube but I think you can find some great content if you follow Provost Park Pass. He has some great videos on all the unique things you can see at Disneyland and California Adventure.

There's also a great WDW channel that also does Disneyland content occasionally and it's geared for WDW people who might be coming to DL for the first time and what are the differences in how you handle DL as compared to what you're used to with WDW. That's DFBGuide. I don't know if these will work but if you go to her site on YouTube, they have all the old videos on there. She's my go to for WDW information when we're planning a trip there.

DFBGuide is a great resource... also, here are a few others.

Well, with 5 days, that's a ton of time at DLR, so don't worry too much. You'll be able to go at a leisurely pace and enjoy yourself. If you have any questions, particularly about things that differ from WDW, just let us know. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Big difference between WDW and DL is DL does *not* require even close to as much planning. By a long shot. So if you’ve done WDW DL will be a breath of fresh air.

PP have outlined some good resources. With 5 days you should be able to accomplish everything you wish to do, even going at a leisurely pace. Have fun researching and come back here with specific questions as this is a great resource and very helpful board.

Well, with 5 days, that's a ton of time at DLR, so don't worry too much. You'll be able to go at a leisurely pace and enjoy yourself. If you have any questions, particularly about things that differ from WDW, just let us know. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
This. In September '21, we did four days and had time to do everything twice. The two parks are more compact than you are used to at WDW, so you can get around a little quicker. Food ain't as good as WDW, imo.

This. In September '21, we did four days and had time to do everything twice. The two parks are more compact than you are used to at WDW, so you can get around a little quicker. Food ain't as good as WDW, imo.

I think counter service food is actually better at DLR overall, but the table service places at WDW are generally better, and there are a lot more of them too!

Big difference between WDW and DL is DL does *not* require even close to as much planning. By a long shot. So if you’ve done WDW DL will be a breath of fresh air.

PP have outlined some good resources. With 5 days you should be able to accomplish everything you wish to do, even going at a leisurely pace. Have fun researching and come back here with specific questions as this is a great resource and very helpful board.
^ This.!!
Don't sweat it, you can crawl around the parks & still get to do anything and everything in 4-5 days. Have you ever been to Knotts Berry Farm? (could be nice for a 5th or 6th day)

I know you said "IMO" but i still think you're wrong. lol ;)

This would actually be a fun poll, but I feel like it wouldn't be fair, because people would mostly vote for their home park... not many do both coasts evenly.

^ This.!!
Don't sweat it, you can crawl around the parks & still get to do anything and everything in 4-5 days. Have you ever been to Knotts Berry Farm? (could be nice for a 5th or 6th day)

I know you said "IMO" but i still think you're wrong. lol ;)

This would actually be a fun poll, but I feel like it wouldn't be fair, because people would mostly vote for their home park... not many do both coasts evenly.
If you include 'atmosphere', it would indeed muddy the water. As I've often posted, DLR's Carthay Circle is probably my most favorite establishment, no matter the food. For food only, WDW's Boma is best.

If someone gave me a magic carpet ride to either WDW or DLR and told me to pick between Boma or Carthay for dinner tonight, I would probably sit down and cry trying to decide.

If you include 'atmosphere', it would indeed muddy the water. As I've often posted, DLR's Carthay Circle is probably my most favorite establishment, no matter the food. For food only, WDW's Boma is best.

If someone gave me a magic carpet ride to either WDW or DLR and told me to pick between Boma or Carthay for dinner tonight, I would probably sit down and cry trying to decide.
Yes it could be tough, but I wasn't thinking of comparing favorites, or what most might consider "the best" but more like overall, quick service, carts, etc.

Also for what its worth i've never been to Boma (or WDW. lol) & Carthay is my most beloved spot for sure. ;)

Thank you! I started watching provost, he’s really good! Will check the other links
We planned 5 nights for that reason, 2 days at each park and take our time. We are staying offsite for budget reasons but I think it will be ok. I’m trying to figure out dh scooter and hotel delivery. We’re not getting a car. I’m thinking Uber or shuttle from Sna and back?

Thanks to all who posted the links. I've bookmarked them to have a look at as well. I am also a WDW regular who is heading to Disneyland first week of May. I've planned the first day and think we will just wing it after that. We are also going for 5 days. Glad to hear it should be doable.

Lots of good advice here already. First - breathe. DL does not require nearly as much planning. Going from one park to the other is a VERY short walk. Maybe 100 yards from gate to gate. The hotel you're staying at will make some difference as well. Most people stay off-site as the Disney owned hotels are way more expensive than the ones at WDW just because Disney has way more hotels/rooms in Florida.

Check out the Disneyland DAS pass for your husband - https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/ - depending on his need that might be a godsend.

What are you interested in doing/seeing? Thrill rides, dark rides, shows, etc. Do you want to see what's different/same vs WDW? You'll have plenty of time but working in shows, parades, fireworks, and such can eat that up quickly.

Definitely ride Pirates if you've only ridden it at Disney World. Disneyland Pirates is 1000x better and I will die on that hill.

Stop and smell the roses. There are so many wonderful details around the park like the Little Man of Disneyland house, horseshoe tracks in the cement in Fantasyland, taking a leisurely trip around the Rivers of America on the Mark Twain. Enjoy the ambiance of New Orleans Square, talk to the Stormtroopers in Galaxy's Edge. It's the only Disney park that Walt ever walked through and it definitely has a special feel to it.

There's also plenty to do at California Adventure too! I was just thinking in terms of WDW <> DL. Cars Land is amazing, Avengers Campus is fun if you're a Marvel fan, etc.

Definitely ride Pirates if you've only ridden it at Disney World. Disneyland Pirates is 1000x better and I will die on that hill.

Stop and smell the roses. There are so many wonderful details around the park like the Little Man of Disneyland house, horseshoe tracks in the cement in Fantasyland, taking a leisurely trip around the Rivers of America on the Mark Twain. Enjoy the ambiance of New Orleans Square, talk to the Stormtroopers in Galaxy's Edge. It's the only Disney park that Walt ever walked through and it definitely has a special feel to it.

There's also plenty to do at California Adventure too! I was just thinking in terms of WDW <> DL. Cars Land is amazing, Avengers Campus is fun if you're a Marvel fan, etc.
Excellent advice, & brings a tear to the eye about how special DL really is. :)

I'm not sure anyone is arguing the opposite point of view! 🤣 The only thing I like about MK Pirates better is the queue, but other than that there is no contest.

I'm not sure anyone is arguing the opposite point of view! 🤣 The only thing I like about MK Pirates better is the queue, but other than that there is no contest.
I've only been to MK at WDW once and don't plan to go back. We're NorCal, and the recreated rides and the way the park is put together is unnerving if you're really used to DL.

I think it depends on which park. Besides Epcot's food festival, Hollywood Studios had the best food for us, whereas Animal Kingdom has consistently had hands down the worst food. It's so bad we're not going back next time we visit. To me the food in New Orleans square and DCA is better than Hollywood Studios and definitely Animal Kingdom, but not Epcot.

I will say the Dole whip quality at WDW feels lower because Florida runs hotter than Anaheim and they melt faster, which to me impacts the experience, so I would definitely try the Dole Whip at DL and see what you think.

I've only been to MK at WDW once and don't plan to go back. We're NorCal, and the recreated rides and the way the park is put together is unnerving if you're really used to DL.
I’m from NorCal, and headed to WDW for the first time later this year (or early next), and you’re scaring me. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter