Disneyland packages? What are your thoughts?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
DH and I are planning on taking our sweet grandson next year in March, he will be 7... DH and I have been once to Disneyland... We are AP holders for WDW Florida...

We are planning on 5 nights for sure maybe 6 depending... With 5 nights we are planning on 2 days in each park, with park hoppers most likely... Using a private car service to and from the airport...

We have friends that have family that they visit, and they love the packages... She suggested this to me the other day. She said that they would not do it any other way..
She also suggested using a TA, she use's one when they go to California, and said that they get the best deals for Disneyland and the Grand Californian, she normally just does it all herself, yet for some reason she use a TA for Disneyland California.

If we do 6 nights we want to do a day trip somewhere. DH was what about the San Diego Zoo I looked it up and its almost 100 miles one way... so not sure if we want to do that... DH thoughts were we could use a private car service, it most likely would be less than any other option... plus if we book for another trip, most give a pretty good discount for multiple trips.

I know we are not going to rent a car for sure. Any suggestions...on a day trip that we can use uber to get around to would be much appreciated.

I do have quite a bit on my plate. I am wondering if it would be easier and worth it to go with a package? I am my parents POA, and help them with all the shopping, and basically whatever else they need for me to do.. It 130 miles round trip for me to go to their house.. As well I have been helping get my DH's oldest brother ( he is a special needs adult) to the grocery store and to pay bills and such, its about 110 miles round trip..

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated... Thanks a bunch pixiedust:

Personally I’ve never found the need to use a package but there’s nothing wrong with doing so if you’re happy with the terms and conditions. I’ve used agents in the past but generally find it just as easy to book everything online with DL. Again, nothing wrong with using an agent if you wish, they can be convenient if they know what they’re talking about. There are some very nice hotels close to DL (some closer than “onsite”) these days so your not just limited to the Disney properties.
There are several tour companies you can use from Anaheim. One is the Anaheim Tour Company who will do anything from the usual tours to private bespoke tours with your own itinerary. While I haven’t used them for a few years, they are an excellent company who continue to get good reviews. I think going into LA would be easier and with a 7 y.o. I would suggest places like Santa Monica for the fun pier, California Science Centre to see a real space shuttle, La Brea Tarpits for dinosaurs and the bubbling Tar, Peterson Automotive Museum for cars from the movies and auto sport, Griffith Park for any number of things including the Hollywood Sign, Griffith Observatory, Autry Museum and LA Zoo and maybe finishing off with the LA Farmers Markets (near La Brea Tarpits) for some sweet treats and a bit of retail therapy for the hosts. You would be hard pressed to do all that in a day but pick what appeals and the tour company will put together an itinerary to suit you.
Finally if your going to get 4 day tickets, get 5. The difference in price is minimal and even if you just use the 5th day for breakfast in the parks on your departure day or a quick evening visit on another, it’s well worth the extra few dollars per ticket.

Have a terrific trip.

I generally don't book a package but for my trip in September I did. I priced hotels in their websites and priced tickets on line. The hotel I was thinking of booking is a Disney Good Neighbor hotel and on the Disney Website they were offering 1 night free so that was a nice savings. I haven't used a travel agent in years for my Disney trips but if you want to go that route use Dreams Unlimited. There is a link for them pretty much every where on the boards the owner of Dreams Unlimited runs the Disboards.

Last edited:
I am using a TA this time and booked a package because of a couple reasons

1. Disney builds the TA fees into the cost. You are paying for one even if you don’t use one.

2. my work schedule is unpredictable.. and having someone else do dinning/special ticket events for me is worth it.

A nice place to visit is the Aquarium of the Pacific. It's not too far and you could use Uber. I had even looked at taking the bus there it didn't look too complicated. I also agree with getting a 5 day ticket. I took my granddaughter when she was 9 and we would go to the parks in the morning and then after lunch we went back to the hotel to the pool for a couple hours. The 5 day ticket gave us more time to relax in the afternoon knowing we had plenty of time for the parks.

DH and I are planning on taking our sweet grandson next year in March, he will be 7... DH and I have been once to Disneyland... We are AP holders for WDW Florida...

We are planning on 5 nights for sure maybe 6 depending... With 5 nights we are planning on 2 days in each park, with park hoppers most likely... Using a private car service to and from the airport...

We have friends that have family that they visit, and they love the packages... She suggested this to me the other day. She said that they would not do it any other way..
She also suggested using a TA, she use's one when they go to California, and said that they get the best deals for Disneyland and the Grand Californian, she normally just does it all herself, yet for some reason she use a TA for Disneyland California.

If we do 6 nights we want to do a day trip somewhere. DH was what about the San Diego Zoo I looked it up and its almost 100 miles one way... so not sure if we want to do that... DH thoughts were we could use a private car service, it most likely would be less than any other option... plus if we book for another trip, most give a pretty good discount for multiple trips.

I know we are not going to rent a car for sure. Any suggestions...on a day trip that we can use uber to get around to would be much appreciated.

I do have quite a bit on my plate. I am wondering if it would be easier and worth it to go with a package? I am my parents POA, and help them with all the shopping, and basically whatever else they need for me to do.. It 130 miles round trip for me to go to their house.. As well I have been helping get my DH's oldest brother ( he is a special needs adult) to the grocery store and to pay bills and such, its about 110 miles round trip..

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated... Thanks a bunch pixiedust:

I have always used packages from the Walt Disney Travel Company. They are a pleasure to deal with it. You can also have a travel agent build you a package. I have used a private car service for airport pickups and travel to and back from Universal. I also recommend Legoland for your grandson.

Also, you should be commended for caring for your parents and your brother. Being a caregiver is not easy I know. But you love them and do what you can. You deserve the very best in vacation and life! God Bless!!

OP here..

I think that I am going to run the numbers, from offsite to onsite and even renting point for a DVC and see where it lands at..

So my big dollar items:

Air fare - which we have a 2,000 dollar credit with Delta
Room - I have to look at see if we have any deals with our CC for hotels...or points which I don't think we have really anything with one brand...
Park Tickets - this is the wild card for sure...
Transportation - Private car for sure... I am thinking that it will be in the ball park of 100.00 each way plus tip - and if we decide to do a day trip with either private car or uber... here DH is like private car, with our grandson seem to be the best route... and maybe we can get a discount if we book multiple trips..

I know when booking offsite - most offer some type of shuttle bus, and there normally is some type of cost with it... so that is something else that I will have to look at... as well as the hotel fees, wifi, and whatever else they consider hotel fees... into the mix...

Now with the Genie thing starting up, I'm not sure how that will play out with the price of tickets or will it be a option add-on included in the packages ... So that is something else I will have to figure into the this trip cost amount...

As well I am wondering if some type of dinning plan is going to be offered... I know this is not popular at Disneyland as here at WDW... however my DH is a bottom line guy... so we will have to see...

any thoughts?

A nice place to visit is the Aquarium of the Pacific. It's not too far and you could use Uber. I had even looked at taking the bus there it didn't look too complicated. I also agree with getting a 5 day ticket. I took my granddaughter when she was 9 and we would go to the parks in the morning and then after lunch we went back to the hotel to the pool for a couple hours. The 5 day ticket gave us more time to relax in the afternoon knowing we had plenty of time for the parks.

I checked out the Aquarium on the Pacific, looks like a nice day... If I can ask - how long did you spend there? was it enough time? to long? to short?... overall how long would you suggest for a visit...

As well I am wondering if some type of dinning plan is going to be offered
Very rarely there will be some type of meal included in the packages sold through Costco. They are for one meal only. I am not familiar with there ever being a dining plan at Disneyland. FWIW, you can save 5% buy purchasing Disney gift cards from BJ's online warehouse. I believe you need to pay $10. to join. So, it may or not be worth it to join.

If you book a package through Costco, you will get a Costco gift card after your vacation. You can use that to purchase stuff from Costco online if you don't have a store near you. The membership fee to join may or may not be worth it, but those are some things you can consider if you are trying to budget.
I checked out the Aquarium on the Pacific, looks like a nice day... If I can ask - how long did you spend there? was it enough time? to long? to short?... overall how long would you suggest for a visit...
The last time I went, I felt like a couple hours was a decent amount of time. There are some behind the scenes tours that can be added on which would add to your overall time. It's also walking distance to the Queen Mary and several restaurants. So, you could make it long day if you decide to do all those things.

Hey LT.
For Aquarium of the Pacific, I’d say 3-4 hours is plenty. As for dining plans, they aren’t a thing at all at DL, just make reservations for restaurants you’re interested in.
If you get a hotel/motel close enough (there are 30-40 within a 15-20 min walk or less) you won’t need to worry about shuttles. Only 2 hotels have their own shuttles, Candy Cane Inn and one other whose name escapes me. But as I said, there are plenty of good motels and hotels within easy walking distance, some are 5 mins to the turnstiles.
Many companies who do airport transfers will be cheaper if you purchase a return trip in advance rather than 2 one way trips. A private tour of some sort to LA or San Diego will cost what it costs. If you’re planning on several trips, I’d move hotels closer to what you want to see.
As for park tickets, the variables will be how many days you purchase, whether you add on Genie+ ($20 per ticket) and choose to purchase Lightning Lane passes for the 1 or 2 popular rides per day (cost unknown at this stage). Genie+ is been promoted as similar to MaxPass which was excellent and well worth the money. Whether Genie+ is as well remains to be seen.
I‘d also suggest you forget most things you need to prepare for at WDW. DL is quite different, much more relaxed with less planning needed, the new Lightning Lane/Genie+ systems not withstanding.

If you book a package through Costco, you will get a Costco gift card after your vacation. You can use that to purchase stuff from Costco online if you don't have a store near you. The membership fee to join may or may not be worth it, but those are some things you can consider if you are trying to budget.
Costco's website says: "Receive up to a $245 Disney Gift Card with a multi-day vacation package at the Disneyland® Resort".

Are you saying you get an additional Costco gift card? I've never used Costco for DL vacations, but a Disney GC + a Costco GC? That's a really good deal!

We tend to use Costco Travel for our DLR trips. They change the contract they have with DLR each year. A while back the bonus you received was a meal voucher for each person in your party worth $57. More recently the bonus on a DLR package has been a Disney gift card. The value of the card is greater if you stay on site, and lesser if you book with Good Neighbor. I have never seen a Disney gift card AND a Costco card offered on DLR packages, only the Disney gift card. Their packages match dollar-for-dollar if you run your stay dates through the DLR website, but with Costco you get the bonus Disney card. It's always been the best deal for my crew!

I prefer to book room as room only and not part of a package. I prefer the terms and conditions on booking room only as opposed to booking a packsge.
IMO, I would not book with a travel agent.
Reason being is that if you call Walt Disney Travel about your reservation, they will refer you back to your travel agent. The thought process is that the travel agent owns the reservation even though it is for your travel. At least that was the case dome years ago, maybe things have changed.

We did a package this past May for tickets and hotel. We did it so we could cancel 30 days before the trip without penalty.
Anyways we went and it was great. We got some free lanyards and was also given some discounts at restaurants outside in downtown Disney. We used it at Earl of Sandwich.

I prefer to book room as room only and not part of a package. I prefer the terms and conditions on booking room only as opposed to booking a packsge.
IMO, I would not book with a travel agent.
Reason being is that if you call Walt Disney Travel about your reservation, they will refer you back to your travel agent. The thought process is that the travel agent owns the reservation even though it is for your travel. At least that was the case dome years ago, maybe things have changed.

This is one of the reasons I never use a TA. You can't make payments online, you can't change anything, you can't add anything. I did it once and never again. When I've compared costs to people who have, there really wasn't much, if any, price differential. WDTC makes it all so easy-peasy to book trips, be it packages or room + tickets/AP.

I think TAs are great for multi-destination and international travel where you're unfamiliar with the locale or available accommodations or where there may be visa or other restrictions.

We are WDW people who now go to DLR about every year. We always do the packages- for me it is about going ahead and having the tickets- but also being able to cancel the tickets with the package if we cancel the trip. With park reservations required now, I feel that is even more important to me. As WDW people, we like to stay at an on property hotel and stay in the DLR bubble. We stayed outside the bubble for part of a trip once and discovered having been WDW people for years and being used to the WDW bubble-- being inside the DLR bubble was worth the extra cost to us. Even when DLR had the dining plans- if you did the math they didn't save you any money-- it was basically just a pre-pay. DLR has much better counter service than WDW- so I wouldn't recommend pinning yourself down to types of meals. You should go with the hopper- even with hopping not allowed until after 1:00-- unlike WDW, hopping is extremely easy at DLR- it is like one big park--- DL And CA are separated by a plaza about the length of a football field and you don't go through security again to go between parks.

We typically stay 4 nights at DLR- but we also are usually in the parks by about 1:00 p.m. on arrival day and stay until about 2:00 p.m. or 3:00 p.m. on departure day (we leave in time to avoid rush hour). We often go from there to spending 4 nights down in the San Diego area. The San Diego zoo is great as is the San Diego wild animal park. There are lots of things to do if you head south and lots of great coastal towns. There is also Legoland, but it isn't our favorite-- if your grandson is a lego fanatic, he might enjoy it though. If you fly into SNA, it is only about 15 or 20 minutes from DLR, and uber is very easy from the airport. If you are concerned about renting a car because of California traffic-- as long as you stay away from rush hour-going south is typically very easy and not bad at all. You don't need a car at DLR, so there have been times that we have ubered back to SNA and then gotten a car from there to avoid the DLR resort parking rates. We typically look at the rental rate and then figure out the uber cost back and forth and the parking- we have actually had times where it has not cost any more to just rent the car and leave it parked at DLR. There usually is not that much traffic driving from SNA to DLR- as long as you don't hit rush hour.

We did go north to LA one trip and did Universal, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood, Warner Brothers Studio and, Santa Monica- and I would say it was not nearly as relaxed as going south and the traffic was awful. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get from that area back to SNA to fly out and that was on a Sunday--- it took us 2 hours to get from DLR to Universal and that was not anywhere near rush hour. It usually takes us about an hour and half to get to San diego from DLR-- and if we stay in Carlsbad where Lego land is, it is 65 miles and just barely over an hour drive. So, even though the LA stuff is closer, it can take longer to get there than it does to San Diego. We had fun in that area and really enjoyed most of the places, but we would never return to Santa Monica--- we would prefer to go to Newport beach near DLR ,or go south and go to any of the beaches along the way towards, or in, San Diego. Santa Monica was the only place we went that direction that we would not go again. Definitely going anywhere in the LA area you deal with a lot more traffic.

Last edited:
OP here..

I think that I am going to run the numbers, from offsite to onsite and even renting point for a DVC and see where it lands at..

So my big dollar items:

Air fare - which we have a 2,000 dollar credit with Delta
Room - I have to look at see if we have any deals with our CC for hotels...or points which I don't think we have really anything with one brand...
Park Tickets - this is the wild card for sure...
Transportation - Private car for sure... I am thinking that it will be in the ball park of 100.00 each way plus tip - and if we decide to do a day trip with either private car or uber... here DH is like private car, with our grandson seem to be the best route... and maybe we can get a discount if we book multiple trips..

I know when booking offsite - most offer some type of shuttle bus, and there normally is some type of cost with it... so that is something else that I will have to look at... as well as the hotel fees, wifi, and whatever else they consider hotel fees... into the mix...

Now with the Genie thing starting up, I'm not sure how that will play out with the price of tickets or will it be a option add-on included in the packages ... So that is something else I will have to figure into the this trip cost amount...

As well I am wondering if some type of dinning plan is going to be offered... I know this is not popular at Disneyland as here at WDW... however my DH is a bottom line guy... so we will have to see...

any thoughts?

Don't consider the point rentals for DVC. There is only one resort (Villas at Grand Californian) and they routinely book up quickly as they only have a very limited number of rooms.

Don't consider the point rentals for DVC. There is only one resort (Villas at Grand Californian) and they routinely book up quickly as they only have a very limited number of rooms.

I concur. Plus they're virtually non-refundable/non-cancellable. Even at half the price of a standard room, that still too much money to flush down the 'throne' if something happens and you can't go.

We are WDW people who now go to DLR about every year. We always do the packages- for me it is about going ahead and having the tickets- but also being able to cancel the tickets with the package if we cancel the trip. With park reservations required now, I feel that is even more important to me.

This x 1000. It's why we will ALWAYS book a package at WDW. When you live in California the last thing you need is non-refundable tickets for a theme park clear across the country. Especially since nDH and I drag our trailer from CA to Ft Wilderness and are 'of an age' where we aren't sure which trip may be our last.

For DLR it's more about the convenience of 'one stop shopping' as it's a days drive and I have family in the area. A cancelled trip wouldn't mean unusable tickets. It would just mean a 'minor' change of plans.

Regarding Costco DL package.

I booked 3 nights @ Tropicana followed by 4 nights @ Disneyland Hotel (booked via Costco w/ 4 day hopper tix).

I assume we can access our hopper tickets while @ the Tropicana, but I’m not sure now that I think about it. Maybe the tickets aren’t active until the day we check in @ Disneyland Hotel?

Does anyone know? Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter