• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes get a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 14 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
pkondz: 10 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Shannon (shan23877): 6 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 4 points
petals: 1 point
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 2 points
Dugette: 4 points

"Mmmm ... tastes like cherry tart. Custard. Pineapple. Roast turkey. Goodness! What did I do?"
Day 11D - Monday, 4 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

When I last left off, we were heading into DL for a very important appointment. Where were we going? The Plaza for Breakfast with Minnie and Friends, of course!

We checked in at about 9:50 and were told that we could sit now if we wanted to be outside or wait 20 to 25 minutes to go inside. It looked very pretty outside.

However, it was HOT. So we opted to wait for an inside table. While we were waiting, Willow started saying that she felt sick, she wanted to go back to the hotel, etc. We went back and forth on this a bazillion times - I feel sick, I want to leave; no, I'm fine, I want to stay; rinse and repeat - but she finally decided that she wanted to stay. (I think the heat and exhaustion were getting to her, and she needed something to eat.)

So we waited. And then we waited. And finally, we waited. It began to become clear to me that the hostess had forgotten about us. I caught her eye, and she was all, "Oh! You're Nicole, right?" Nope - I'm not. After learning that, she looked like this ---> :scared1: And very soon after that look appeared on her face, we were being shown to the PP photographer to get our picture.

(You can tell by how gross we look that it was HOT! :rotfl2:)

And then we were seated in the restaurant. We had barely even sat down when Hook came by to say hello.

Right after Hook, the Fairy Godmother stopped by. She loved Willow's Chip 'n' Dale cupcake shirt. In fact, she loved it so much that, when we were up at the buffet, she came up to us dragging Chip with her to show it to him. :laughing:

We enjoyed our breakfast here - Willow was especially happy to discover that Mickey waffles are apparently VERY good for the tummy; she had two to make sure that her "sickness" was all gone. ;)

Up Next: Day 11D (cont.)

Day 11D - Monday, 4 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort (cont.)

The interior here is so pretty!

Eeyore was our next visitor - he had a little fun sneaking up behind me before visiting with Willow.

I can't do a character meal with Eeyore without taking a picture of his crazy-adorable tail!

I received a plethora of tasty food from the allergy chef.

Our hostess came by to say hi.

And when Willow was up at the buffet getting her second Mickey waffle, Tigger came by to visit with me. Willow was a little jealous upon her return and took over completely:

Next up was Chip. Always a favorite of ours!

And Winnie the Pooh totally tiptoed up and surprised Willow.

We waited a bit for Dale because Willow wanted to show him her shirt. But he was nowhere to be seen, and we finally got impatient enough to leave.

Up Next: Day 11E

No clue on that movie.

However, what a great character meal! (Well, after you finally got seated). I'm glad that the Mickey Waffles cured Willow's illness. :goodvibes That was a ton of different characters that came around - how cool! :thumbsup2 I am going to keep that breakfast in mind if we make it to DLR sometime.

Ohhhh, Up and Russell!

Back for comments once I read the rest...
And another two points! You are officially in the running! :woohoo:

I think I am going to attempt Disney Junior Live with Izzy again at WDW in May. We did it her first trip (when she was 14 months) and, as you said, it didn't matter since she didn't watch the shows. She was bored. She really only watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse now, but I think she'd enjoy it at this point. Interested to see how Willow likes it...
I think, if she likes Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, she will really enjoy it. If she starts watching Sofia or Doc or Jake by then, it will be a "must do."

No clue on that movie.

However, what a great character meal! (Well, after you finally got seated). I'm glad that the Mickey Waffles cured Willow's illness. :goodvibes That was a ton of different characters that came around - how cool! :thumbsup2 I am going to keep that breakfast in mind if we make it to DLR sometime.
Oh, DLR character meals are a whole different animal from WDW character meals. Both Goofy's Kitchen and Plaza at least have always been filled with very random characters and TONS of them. We have had so much fun at both places on more than one occasion. But stay tuned for our January TR to hear why we skipped Goofy's for the first EVER. :(

Not a great start to that meal huh? Mickey waffles always make me feel better...Cute, cute, cute character photos. Love that Fairy Godmother!

Alice in Wonderland, I'm guessing Alice??

Wow! The Soarin queue line looks so different from the one at Epcot. We have been to the one in CA but somehow I could not remember that it was so different.

Okay, you may start laughing now, but I had to google the Disney junior thing. Never even heard of it. :rotfl2: So, yes, I am with Willow - I am interested.

I can't get over how early the two of you are able to get up. The second park by 9.40 :scared1:

Sounds like a great breakfast. Willow looks so excited in all the pictures

I'm still so amazed at all the stuff they pack into those two parks. I mean a park with Soarin', ToT, AND Screamin', (basically the best of Epcot and DHS) and so much more.

I do agree that ToT in WDW is better and is admittedly a rare thing.

Oh my I so miss the easy ability to park hop in Dland. In fact, on my just completed trip, the subject of Dland came up as a possible future trip. Since I was the only one who had actually been there before, it was imperative that I come along. I didn't argue.

Not a great start to that meal huh? Mickey waffles always make me feel better...Cute, cute, cute character photos. Love that Fairy Godmother!
It was actually just funny watching the realization on the hostess's face. And we sure did have a lot of fun once we got inside!

Alice in Wonderland, I'm guessing Alice??
Two more points for Shannon! :cheer2:

Wow! The Soarin queue line looks so different from the one at Epcot. We have been to the one in CA but somehow I could not remember that it was so different.

It is quite different, isn't it? Of course, I think I have maybe done the stand-by queue at Epcot one time - didn't they add some kind of games or something? :laughing:

Okay, you may start laughing now, but I had to google the Disney junior thing. Never even heard of it. :rotfl2: So, yes, I am with Willow - I am interested.
That's so funny! I have always read about it in other WDW TRs; it was fun to do once. :thumbsup2
I can't get over how early the two of you are able to get up. The second park by 9.40 :scared1:
It's much easier for us at DLR because we are in our regular time zone. I get to work by 6:30 every morning during the week, so we are used to getting up quite early. The time change at WDW is really hard on us (although we still almost always get to the parks at rope drop there too); I'm sure the time change must be HUGE for you.

Sounds like a great breakfast. Willow looks so excited in all the pictures
Thanks! We love having breakfast at the Plaza with Minnie. :goodvibes

I'm still so amazed at all the stuff they pack into those two parks. I mean a park with Soarin', ToT, AND Screamin', (basically the best of Epcot and DHS) and so much more.
I know - it's amazing. I am so used to it now though, that I was looking at the MDE app the other day and checking out the wait times at the WDW parks (I have NO idea why), and I kept thinking, "Is that all there is????" :rotfl2:

I do agree that ToT in WDW is better and is admittedly a rare thing.
It's the only two-coast attraction that I personally find better at WDW. Some think BTMRR is as well, but I don't see it. :confused3

Oh my I so miss the easy ability to park hop in Dland. In fact, on my just completed trip, the subject of Dland came up as a possible future trip. Since I was the only one who had actually been there before, it was imperative that I come along. I didn't argue.
That's awesome!! Maybe it will be sometime when we are visiting too! :laughing:

Okay - I am going to REALLY try to move this TR along. If I’m going to do a TR for our January trip, I need to get it started before I forget everything. And I really would like to avoid trying to maintain two TRs at the same time again! So get ready for more regular updates, people! I hope…..

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes get a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 14 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
pkondz: 10 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 4 points
petals: 1 point
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 2 points
Dugette: 4 points

"Whoa! So this is heat. I love it."

Day 11E - Monday, 4 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

When I last left off, we had just finished our Breakfast with Minnie and Friends. It was about 11:00, and all Willow really wanted to do was (1) see the Disney Junior Live on Stage show and (2) sleep. So we headed back out of DL.

And over to DCA.

We went straight to the show and got in line. It was HOT and CROWDED. And we were tired! Look at this kid!

But she was all smiles when we made it into the show.

Now, Willow was 7 years old at this time, but she still really enjoys the Disney Junior shows, so she had a blast at this show (which basically features Mickey and friends planning a birthday party for Minnie and learning some good lessons through appearances by other Disney Junior characters). Plus, it was COOL in here!

After the show, Willow just wasn't feeling that great - again, it was HOT and she was kind of worn out from the day before. She really just wanted to take a nap, if you can believe that! She did need to make one stop though - you guessed it, a shop! She just HAD to have this Frozen shirt she had spotted on another shop-browsing session.

After Willow's purchase, we headed back to the hotel and arrived at about 12:20.

Our "secret" path.

Our room was clean, and you can finally see which pillow pet Willow chose!

Willow went right to sleep with fireworks going off above her head. (Yes, she was very pleased that the Hidden Mickey firework was over HER bed.)

Up Next: Day 11F

Glad the Disney Junior show was fun! If it's mostly Mickey and friends, I think Izzy will enjoy it too.

Nice to be able to park-hop and go back to your room so easily!

Sulley! We actually just watched Monsters, Inc. today with Izzy.

Cool headboard fireworks!

We had to cut through Bugs Land, of course.

Of course!
Wait. I've never been there.... of course?
Sure. I just have to trust you here.
But ya know, you could'a said. "We had to cut through Albuquerque" and I would've believed you

Now, normally, I would have encouraged her to do those later as they were not likely to get too crowded whereas the bigger rides certainly would. But remember! We were taking a new, laid-back approach today. So we rode some rides in Bugs Land!

Laid back is less stressful... or was it more stressful since that little voice in the back of your mind was telling you all about the long lines ahead.

First up was Tuck and Roll’s Drive ‘Em Buggies - basically bumper cars.

Yeah, but more fun than the Tires ride, yes?

I disobeyed you!

:laughing: And were subsequently tossed out of the park!

We decided to get out of line and grab some FPs to return between 8:55 and 9:55 - not long at all!

"Grab some FPS"???? What is this sorcery?

:rolleyes1

All the pics with Sully are great, but I really got a kick out of this one.

we love that you can smell the ginger in the sushi restaurant and the lemon snow cones.

mmmm....

Willow sure does love this ride! (It is, however, the one ride that is on both coasts that I think is better at WDW.)

Any particular reason why? (Other than one has two functioning elevators, that is.)

Too cute! Nice ears, Willow! :thumbsup:

I have to say here - Doc was a little on the awkward side. She didn’t seem to know where to look or how to interact. But she’s new to the parks, so she’s probably just a little frazzled by all the attention.

First time I was a Disney character, I was a little akward at first too. So I get it.

I got a lesson in how much easier life was before Willow could read. You see, friends, we have never been to the Disney Junior Live on Stage show.

Would it shock you to learn that I did not go this trip? :rolleyes:

walking along when Willow spotted the marquee for Disney Junior Live on Stage and went insane

:lmao:

Obviously, we weren't going to see it right now as we had another appointment and I don't think it had even started running yet today

Saved!

But I did have to promise that we would come right back to DCA to see it. ::yes::

Or not!

And joined the herds at the gates to DL.

moo!

When I last left off, we were heading into DL for a very important appointment. Where were we going? The Plaza for Breakfast with Minnie and Friends, of course!

Nice! I bet someone was just a little excited! Willow too, I bet!

It looked very pretty outside

It does. Eat there!

However, it was HOT. So we opted to wait for an inside table

Okay! Nevermind! Eat inside! It's air conditioned!

While we were waiting, Willow started saying that she felt sick, she wanted to go back to the hotel, etc. We went back and forth on this a bazillion times - I feel sick, I want to leave; no, I'm fine, I want to stay; rinse and repeat - but she finally decided that she wanted to stay. (I think the heat and exhaustion were getting to her, and she needed something to eat.)

Ah yes the classic burnt out/starving/over heated child syndrome.

So we waited. And then we waited. And finally, we waited.

Finally! Wait... what?

It began to become clear to me that the hostess had forgotten about us

I actually don't mind being forgotten, as long as they make it right afterwards.
And it seems they did.
(You can tell by how gross we look that it was HOT! :rotfl2:)

So it wasn't too hot since you both look fabulous.

Hey! Where's Hook's hook?
OMG, he's been de-hooked!!

Right after Hook, the Fairy Godmother stopped by. She loved Willow's Chip 'n' Dale cupcake shirt. In fact, she loved it so much that, when we were up at the buffet, she came up to us dragging Chip with her to show it to him.

Willow must've loved that!
Geez, don'tcha love how Disney does things like that?

Willow was especially happy to discover that Mickey waffles are apparently VERY good for the tummy; she had two to make sure that her "sickness" was all gone

Well of course. You can't be too careful, ya know.

I can't do a character meal with Eeyore without taking a picture of his crazy-adorable tail!

:laughing:

Tigger came by to visit with me. Willow was a little jealous upon her return and took over completely:

And Roni smiled... but cried a little on the inside.

We waited a bit for Dale because Willow wanted to show him her shirt. But he was nowhere to be seen, and we finally got impatient enough to leave.

Huh. Odd. Usually where there's one, there's the other.

all Willow really wanted to do was (1) see the Disney Junior Live on Stage show and (2) sleep

Hopefully not both at the same time.

It was HOT and CROWDED. And we were tired! Look at this kid!

Get that kid a nap! Stat!

But she was all smiles when we made it into the show.

Air conditioning and adrenaline... it's a wonderful combination.

Until the inevitable crash.

She really just wanted to take a nap, if you can believe that!

Actually, after the week that I had?

Yes. Yes I do.
Disney just takes it right out of you, doesn't it?
In a good way, of course.

She just HAD to have this Frozen shirt she had spotted on another shop-browsing session

There are two things that I've learned.
1. When a girl's gonna shop, a girl's gonna shop.
2. I can't do anything about #1.

Our room was clean, and you can finally see which pillow pet Willow chose!

Nice choice, Willow! I like it!

Willow went right to sleep with fireworks going off above her head. (Yes, she was very pleased that the Hidden Mickey firework was over HER bed.)

Fit for a princess.
Thanks for the updates! :goodvibes:

Oops, I missed the breakfast post. Yes, Mickey Waffles are a complete cure all I have found.

What a great character breakfast. Such an array of characters. Hook... Fairy Godmother???? Just nohting in common at all, but I kind of like that variety.

Awww, Willow does look miserable in that picture which is so unlike her. What a sin. Nice to see her perk up once you got inside. Plus, any show with bubbles gets a thumbs up from me.

Roni, what fun updates. Is Soarin' different in DL than DW?

Willow is my kind of gal...LOVE TOT!

I have never seen Disney Junior Live and have no idea who those characters are (guess I'll find out some time when I have grandchildren).

Great character pictures at the breakfast with Minnie & Friends...and some of my favorites too -- Tigger, Chip and Pooh. I LOVE Eeyore's tail.

Willow does look very tired and VERY hot. I'm glad she got to see the show and got her bit of shopping in before a nap.

Great pillow pet.

And what could be better than taking a nap with fireworks over your head with a hidden Mickey too.

Frozen and Olaf!!!

Back for comments once I read!
Two more points!!!

Glad the Disney Junior show was fun! If it's mostly Mickey and friends, I think Izzy will enjoy it too.
I think Izzy would definitely enjoy it. :thumbsup2

Nice to be able to park-hop and go back to your room so easily!
Oh, I just love that about DLR. I'm going to miss that when I'm spending hours on buses this summer! :rotfl2:

Sulley! We actually just watched Monsters, Inc. today with Izzy.
How did she like it????

Cool headboard fireworks!
That is definitely one of my favorite things about the DLH! :goodvibes

Of course!
Wait. I've never been there.... of course?
Sure. I just have to trust you here.
But ya know, you could'a said. "We had to cut through Albuquerque" and I would've believed you
:laughing: I'll remember that for next time. We took a right at the giant over-sized Duffy streetlamp, then sidled past the Jafar-themed bakery and through the elegant Olaf-inspired tea room......

Laid back is less stressful... or was it more stressful since that little voice in the back of your mind was telling you all about the long lines ahead.
You know, normally, for me, it would have been the latter. But we really did manage to just be laid back on this day. Knowing we were there for a while, that everything was going to be crowded that time of year no matter what, and that we had just been there in January - it was easier to relax a little.

Yeah, but more fun than the Tires ride, yes?
True story!

:laughing: And were subsequently tossed out of the park!
:rotfl2:

"Grab some FPS"???? What is this sorcery?

:rolleyes1
It's funny how odd they seem now, even though we haven't made it to WDW since the change. I feel like I've been reading about it for YEARS. Oh, wait, I guess I have..... :laughing:

All the pics with Sully are great, but I really got a kick out of this one.
He was having a lot of fun messing with my picture-taking.

Any particular reason why? (Other than one has two functioning elevators, that is.)
Yes - the DCA version does not travel through the dark hallway to the drop area - it just backs up a little bit, and you're where you're going. Also, I do not believe that there are so many varying drop sequences (if any) at the DCA version. DHS's is definitely better.

Too cute! Nice ears, Willow! :thumbsup:
:goodvibes

First time I was a Disney character, I was a little akward at first too. So I get it.
I can just imagine that.....

Would it shock you to learn that I did not go this trip? :rolleyes:
Did you shed a tear when you realized you'd missed it?

Nice! I bet someone was just a little excited! Willow too, I bet!
Definitely! This is a favorite of both of ours.

It does. Eat there!

Okay! Nevermind! Eat inside! It's air conditioned!
Definitely! August heat.... :crazy2:

Ah yes the classic burnt out/starving/over heated child syndrome.
::yes::

Finally! Wait... what?

I actually don't mind being forgotten, as long as they make it right afterwards.
And it seems they did.
I'm the same - mistakes happen; it's how you handle the mistakes that counts. Plus, the look on her face when she realized I wasn't Nicole was priceless. :laughing:

So it wasn't too hot since you both look fabulous.
Are you trying to flatter yourself into some game points there? :rotfl2:

Hey! Where's Hook's hook?
OMG, he's been de-hooked!!
:rotfl:

Willow must've loved that!
Geez, don'tcha love how Disney does things like that?
It was great! We always have really wonderful interactions with Fairy Godmother at the Plaza - she is so much fun!

And Roni smiled... but cried a little on the inside.
::yes::

Huh. Odd. Usually where there's one, there's the other.
It was strange - they usually do stick pretty close to each other. :confused3

Air conditioning and adrenaline... it's a wonderful combination.

Until the inevitable crash.
So very true, and all the more important to stick with that back-to-the-hotel-after-the-show plan.

Actually, after the week that I had?

Yes. Yes I do.
Disney just takes it right out of you, doesn't it?
In a good way, of course.
It really does - Disney vacations are a lot of things, but relaxing is not one of them! I know that I will be ready to relax at sea after our 10 days at WDW in the heat of summer!

There are two things that I've learned.
1. When a girl's gonna shop, a girl's gonna shop.
2. I can't do anything about #1.
I am going to have to remember this this summer - I am going to be hanging out with three girls who love to shop! :scared1:

Thanks for the updates! :goodvibes:
Thanks for continuing to read along and post! I hope you had a great trip!!! Are you going to do a trip report????

Oops, I missed the breakfast post. Yes, Mickey Waffles are a complete cure all I have found.
Funny how that works, isn't it? :laughing:

What a great character breakfast. Such an array of characters. Hook... Fairy Godmother???? Just nohting in common at all, but I kind of like that variety.
You know, before we attended our first DLR character meal years ago, I was a bit worried that it would just be too weird with the randomness of the characters. Turns out is actually just SO MUCH fun! It ends up being hilarious! We had dinner at Goofy's Kitchen once, and we were chatting with Cinderella when Pluto ran across the whole restaurant with an autograph book and got her autograph. :laughing:

Awww, Willow does look miserable in that picture which is so unlike her. What a sin. Nice to see her perk up once you got inside. Plus, any show with bubbles gets a thumbs up from me.
Yeah, she was just hot and exhausted that morning. Poor thing.

Roni, what fun updates. Is Soarin' different in DL than DW?
Hi Kathy! No - Soarin' is one of the few attractions that is the same on both coasts. The other one I can think of is Star Tours.

Willow is my kind of gal...LOVE TOT!
I wish you'd been with us the year that she did ToT 13 times in one day - you could have taken over for me a couple of times! :rotfl2:

I have never seen Disney Junior Live and have no idea who those characters are (guess I'll find out some time when I have grandchildren).
:rotfl2: Don't worry - you're not missing a whole lot. ;)

Great character pictures at the breakfast with Minnie & Friends...and some of my favorites too -- Tigger, Chip and Pooh. I LOVE Eeyore's tail.
The characters and interactions at the Plaza have always been fabulous when we've eaten there. Just so much fun! And the food is tasty too. My kind of character meal!

Willow does look very tired and VERY hot. I'm glad she got to see the show and got her bit of shopping in before a nap.
She was definitely beat. It was certainly the right call to head back and rest up during the heat of the day.

Great pillow pet.
Isn't that a cute one??? I was surprised when she picked it - she likes Monsters Inc., obviously, but I never would have thought of Sully as that high up on her list; it is crazy-soft and snuggly though, so I'm guessing that was the reason.

And what could be better than taking a nap with fireworks over your head with a hidden Mickey too.
Love the Disneyland Hotel so much!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter