Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

After our two hurtling rides on the Matterhorn, we headed to Adventureland for regular park opening at 8:00. Adventureland is not open during EMH, and we wanted to get to Indy before the lines got too long. Willow was happy about it.
Great plan. And definitely something worthy of being excited about!

What's that you say, nice CM? Indiana Jones is not running? GAH!
Just a typical Disneyland Rope Drop. :rolleyes1

And Willow measured herself - she likes to do this. :confused3
Wow... Thank goodness that first ride didn't cause her to shrink!

After that, we decided to walk the short distance over to Indiana Jones to see if it was up and running. It was, but the line was already looking pretty long. We couldn't get another set of FPs yet, so we opted for the Jungle Cruise, which had no wait at all.
Not a bad alternative! It's always nice to see the animals and the back side of water.

While we were enjoying our snacks, our window to obtain another set of FPs opened, so I ran across the walkway and grabbed a set for Indiana Jones.
The snacks look good. Although ridiculously and oddly healthy. :crazy2:

I'm glad you were finally able to grab an Indiana Jones FP!

And I'm trying to figure out the FP thing... was this trip made before they started enforcing the return times or did you waste a BTMRR FP?

:rotfl2:That's fantastic!!! :rotfl2: I don't even know what it is! :rotfl2:
Guardians of the Galaxy is a surprisingly good movie. I hadn't even heard of them before they announced the movie and I didn't particularly have high expectations for a movie starring a raccoon and character that is essentially a walking tree, but it really is very good. If you're into the superhero/action movies.

I am dying to try the Blue Bayou. I love the atmosphere there and I think I would like that jambalaya. Willow's too funny with her flashlight pen! Always prepared!

Wait that is TOO great that the guy asked for a pic with Willow so he wouldn't have to meet Elsa. I love that!!

:O WILLOW'S FIRST CHURRO? What did she think? At DHS they now have a CHURRO MILKSHAKE. As you can guess, I am very excited to drink them literally every day in Florida.

Even with the Indiana Jones detours it sounds like an awesome morning in Disneyland!!

OMG you actually did give me a point. :rotfl:
I thought you had a semi-valid argument. :confused3

Indiana Jones is not running? Why that's almost unheard of.
That was the first time that ever happened to us!

Of course, I'm pretty sure we had only ridden one other time in our lives. :laughing:

To me it looks like Willow busted out a Rap... Yo.
It does look that way! I don't actually think she knows what a rap is though, so..... :confused3

It's a good thing WIllow ran ahead like that or it would have potentially been 8:30 or 8:31. Phew... near miss.
It was a close call....

And THAT is what I miss the most about FP+. You'll see. :sad2: At least you won't need a FP for Voices of Liberty, Country Bears, or One Man's Dream. :D
You know, I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the Disney World part of this upcoming trip a lot less than I normally do mostly because of the FP+ stuff. I hate that we have to book them so far in advance, and it sounds like everything is just crowded all the time. I'm so glad that our trip is about so much more than the parks this time! And hopefully, the FP+ experience will be a pleasant surprise or at least not as awful as it sounds in my head.

And we can totally enjoy Voices of Liberty, Country Bears and One Man's Dream. If I can remember them...... :rolleyes1

Geez. I totally forgot that the rest of the place hadn't even opened yet.
That one little early entry hour can really go on for a long time, can't it??? :rotfl2:

You are bad luck. If I tour with you I guess I would have to expect every ride to be closed, right?
Really? Well, yes, I have been told many times that I am bad luck, but does it really seem like we had a ton of closed rides? I guess maybe we did on this trip. More than usual. :confused3 But we were there quite a bit longer than we usually would be too. I honestly don't think of DLR as constantly having rides closed, so it didn't make a big impression on me - I didn't FEEL like we were constantly running into shut-down rides anyway. :thumbsup2

I guess it is still early, the mad crush hasn't quite arrived yet.
Yep - it wasn't bad at all. :goodvibes

:laughing: Some things don't change!
:thumbsup2

T-Rex pose?
It's as likely as anything else! :rotfl2:

Of course you had a great ride... it's BTMRR!
My sentiments exactly - I just love BTMRR!

I get that. It couldn't have been that long ago when...
"Mom! I want to ride that!"
"I'm sorry Willow, you're not tall enough yet."
Given that there are still 3 Disney rides for which she has not yet been tall enough, I'm sure she likes to remind herself that she has grown SOME. :laughing:

Considering Miss Willow is disappearing into the distance,
I'm gonna go with... No.
Smart man!

Sounds exactly like my POC experience.
I remember when the lines for this were always huge.
I wonder if it's starting to get a little dated.
I have definitely run into lines at PoC at both MK and DL, but I have always just SASHAYED on by knowing that I could come back shortly after and there would no longer be a line. I'm guessing that is less common now with FP+. :confused3

Awwww.... The lions babysitting the sleeping zebra. Such a tender morsel.

Scene! Such a tender scene!!
:laughing:

That thing's bigger than she is!
And she ate it all except for the rind. That child could eat a watermelon the size of a house - it may be her favorite food. :laughing:

Oooh, thanks for the tip - good strategy! :thumbsup2
You are welcome!

:sad2: Of course. The curse of rope drop.
Yeah, it was a disappointing surprise, but it all worked out okay. :thumbsup2

Ha, cute! :rotfl: Might as well when you're tall enough.
Or she was just reassuring herself after the sting of STILL not being tall enough for California Screamin'. She is so short for her age - it can be tough. I'm crossing my fingers that she makes it on RnRC this summer. She's got about a half inch (in shoes) to go, but I'm hopeful she'll get there.

Sweet! pirate: Wish it were always like that!
You and me both!

Glad you enjoyed it! We both spent time there as kids too - visiting family in the area. I've actually driven the coast a number of times too. Love it! :lovestruc
The Oregon Coast has to be one of my favorite places on earth. If I ever thought I could afford to retire, I would want a little house right on the beach on the Oregon coast. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this, it's really helpful! It's possible we may end up doing both, too. We still have one or two days that we haven't decided on a meal yet, so we'll see. I know atmosphere is a really big thing for DH though so that makes me lean toward Blue Bayou a little more as well. At least I still have some time to decide!
Good luck with your decision! I know you'll be happy either way. :goodvibes

I'm glad to be posting again too! Things were a bit crazy for me because I was in a play that had multiple performances every weekend in March. And I was sick during it - finally got to the dr. to find out I have pneumonia! :sick: Sooo I've been ordered to rest up as much as possible this past week, which on the bright side meant more time on the DisBoards! Hoping to be well soon as I leave for WDW again on Wednesday!
Oh geez, Becky. I'm so sorry - I hope you are feeling better and continue to recover well. And I hope you have a great trip! I can't believe you are off to WDW again!

Guardians of the Galaxy is a surprisingly good movie. I hadn't even heard of them before they announced the movie and I didn't particularly have high expectations for a movie starring a raccoon and character that is essentially a walking tree, but it really is very good. If you're into the superhero/action movies.
Um, raccoon and walking tree??? I guess I am going to have to look into this further. :rotfl2:

I am dying to try the Blue Bayou. I love the atmosphere there and I think I would like that jambalaya. Willow's too funny with her flashlight pen! Always prepared!
The next time you get to DLR, we will have to meet you there for a meal at Blue Bayou!

You are going to do the DLR CP next, right? :rolleyes1

Wait that is TOO great that the guy asked for a pic with Willow so he wouldn't have to meet Elsa. I love that!!
It was very sweet. They were a great couple. :goodvibes

:O WILLOW'S FIRST CHURRO? What did she think? At DHS they now have a CHURRO MILKSHAKE. As you can guess, I am very excited to drink them literally every day in Florida.
She liked it, but was obviously too full to really enjoy it. Her love for the churro grew to near Courtney Levels on the next trip though..... :goodvibes

Even with the Indiana Jones detours it sounds like an awesome morning in Disneyland!!
We had NO complaints - it was a great morning!

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 24 points
pkondz: 23 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
Shannon (shan2387): 8 points
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 7 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 7 points
Andy (afwdwfan): 6 points
Dugette: 6 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Kathy (KatMark): 2 points
Gracefulskinny: 2 points
petals: 1 point
Rory (Woodskeeper): 1 point

“Adventure is out there!”

Day 14C - Thursday, 7 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

After enjoying our snack in Adventureland, we headed back to BTMRR again to use our FPs. As you can see the FP wait was not bad at all! :laughing:

Willow was dancing even without making note of the sign.

We were seated in the front row - for the first time ever in all our bazillion rides on BTMRR at DL or MK.

I have no idea….

After BTMRR, we again headed to Adventureland. (Yes, there is a lot more to do at DL - like I said above, on our last day, we generally just do the things that Willow can't live without doing before she goes basically as many times as we can do them.)

We did some merchandise browsing here.

This pillow pet was one of the softest things on the planet. As you can see, it had a rather immediate and notable effect on Miss Willow.

Making some music.

Giving a monkey a ride.

En garde!

Captain H, is that you?

And then it was time to use our Indiana Jones FPs. We were zipping through that FP queue at 10:10.

9 minutes later, we were in our jeep.

No blurry dancing, Willow!

I disobeyed you!

Willow discovered on this trip that she LOVES this ride - it is very jerky, and she seems to think that is awesome.

Up Next: Day 14D

I've never seen it... but I know... well I think it's Up.

As you can see the FP wait was not bad at all! :laughing:

I almost didn't see her there! :laughing:

Is that legal? Can she do that?

We were seated in the front row - for the first time ever in all our bazillion rides on BTMRR at DL or MK.

And? Best ever? No different? Never again? I don't remember?

I have no idea….

Praying for just one more BTMRR ride!

on our last day, we generally just do the things that Willow can't live without doing before she goes basically as many times as we can do them.)

That's a good plan.

This pillow pet was one of the softest things on the planet. As you can see, it had a rather immediate and notable effect on Miss Willow.

And you came home with it, yes?

Giving a monkey a ride.

:laughing: That just strikes me as funny.

En garde!

Whoa. I wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley!

And then it was time to use our Indiana Jones FPs. We were zipping through that FP queue at 10:10.

:laughing: Love that shot!

Willow discovered on this trip that she LOVES this ride - it is very jerky, and she seems to think that is awesome.

And what does Mom think?

Up Next: Day 14D

Can't wait! Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

For sure, Up, but I see that's been covered. I feel like multiple characters said it, but I'll go with Russell.

Back when I have a chance to read - have to sleep now! :faint:

Holy updates girlfriend! You are flying now!

Ick about the obnoxious guy on the Matterhorn...karma will get him. Too bad you won't be there to see it! At least Anna's Dad lets you know that there are still good people in the world!

Every update I read I just want to literally drop everything and head to the airport for DL. I've got the whole fantasy complete...yeah, stop somewhere when we get there and grab a few outfits and toiletries. Wing the whole thing! Oh well I'll get to DL soon, planning on 2016. I've got no vacation in sight till October which seems like a long way away right now!

I love seeing those paper FP's in your hands! I miss those....

You may be pleasantly surprised at FP+ in WDW. I kinda felt the same way before we went last October, the over-planning was kinda fun killing in some way. But it turned out to be not as bad as I feared and it was kinda nice to not have to get to HS at rope drop in order to ride TS. But...we also couldn't work the system like we used to so there are trade offs. Now the Magic Bands I loved, no keeping up with everyone's cards, trying to find a card when your hands are full.

Christine

After enjoying our snack in Adventureland, we headed back to BTMRR again to use our FPs. As you can see the FP wait was not bad at all! :laughing:
I love that FP line. It's great walking right past all those suckers without an FP!

Who wouldn't want to dance when they're about to get on BTMRR?

It definitely is awesome!!!!

Don't you just love those FP lines that run right alongside the standby line? Guilty much? :lmao:

Of course Willow was dancing. Willow's a kid and BTMRR is a kiddie ride after all. :rolleyes1 :duck:

Awww :love: I have such special memories of the sword and hook.

Oh, Indiana jones ride!! I plan to love it whenever I get there to ride it!

Dancing willow pics are the best!

I've never seen it... but I know... well I think it's Up.
That's one point for pkondz! And I believe that puts you in a tie for first place!

I almost didn't see her there! :laughing:
I was wondering if anyone would notice that that was actually her up there. :laughing:

Is that legal? Can she do that?
I don't think she spent any time in jail for it, at least not to my knowledge. :confused3

And? Best ever? No different? Never again? I don't remember?
:laughing: We liked it. We had a lot more thoughts on it during our next trip, however. ;)

Praying for just one more BTMRR ride!
A very reasonable guess!

That's a good plan.
It works very well for us. :thumbsup2

And you came home with it, yes?
We did NOT! :scared1: Willow had already invested in one very expensive pillow pet on this trip, so I don't think she was willing to spring for another one, especially a non-character one! :laughing:

Whoa. I wouldn't want to meet her in a dark alley!
Scary, huh??? :eek:

And what does Mom think?
Mom thinks it is VERY jerky, but the theming and overall experience is a huge improvement on its semi-counterpart, Dinosaur.

For sure, Up, but I see that's been covered. I feel like multiple characters said it, but I'll go with Russell.
Oh, so close!
Back when I have a chance to read - have to sleep now! :faint:
See ya soon! :laughing:

Holy updates girlfriend! You are flying now!
Feeling the pressure of the need to focus on the other TR and the looming ENORMOUS trip in our near future! :laughing:

Ick about the obnoxious guy on the Matterhorn...karma will get him. Too bad you won't be there to see it! At least Anna's Dad lets you know that there are still good people in the world!
I guess I have to look at it as I was lucky that he was the worst-behaved guest I saw. I know that others have experienced much worse. And I'm VERY glad that Willow was not on the same bobsled with me and in fact, ended up having one of her best Matterhorn rides ever.

Every update I read I just want to literally drop everything and head to the airport for DL. I've got the whole fantasy complete...yeah, stop somewhere when we get there and grab a few outfits and toiletries. Wing the whole thing! Oh well I'll get to DL soon, planning on 2016. I've got no vacation in sight till October which seems like a long way away right now!
:rotfl2: That is such an awesome dream! I wish you could just do it!

I love seeing those paper FP's in your hands! I miss those....
As much as I am not looking forward to FP+ at WDW, I can't even imagine what DLR will be like with it. I just can't see how it could possibly work there - it's just not the right atmosphere for such a system. :confused3

You may be pleasantly surprised at FP+ in WDW. I kinda felt the same way before we went last October, the over-planning was kinda fun killing in some way. But it turned out to be not as bad as I feared and it was kinda nice to not have to get to HS at rope drop in order to ride TS. But...we also couldn't work the system like we used to so there are trade offs. Now the Magic Bands I loved, no keeping up with everyone's cards, trying to find a card when your hands are full.
I think you're right - there are things about it that I will appreciate. I KNOW I will love the Magic Band ease (although I am not a fan of wearing something on my wrist). I can definitely say that I am NOT pleased about having to plan rides in advance. I love making ADRs and everything, but having to do that with rides - I am just not finding that part fun at all.

Up - the blimp guy. Can't remember his name.
I'll accept that - one point!

I love that FP line. It's great walking right past all those suckers without an FP!
Oh man, I hate to admit how much I enjoy doing that!!! :laughing:

Who wouldn't want to dance when they're about to get on BTMRR?
I can't imagine who wouldn't!

It definitely is awesome!!!!
I'm so glad you got to experience it. :goodvibes
Don't you just love those FP lines that run right alongside the standby line? Guilty much? :lmao:
I would be embarrassed to admit just how much I enjoy walking past all those people. :rolleyes1

Of course Willow was dancing. Willow's a kid and BTMRR is a kiddie ride after all. :rolleyes1 :duck:
Unbelievable. :sad2:

You know, I did show Willow some of the Universal coasters on YouTube - she is more than ready to ride them. Me, not so much.... :rotfl2:
Awww :love: I have such special memories of the sword and hook.
That's right! :goodvibes

Oh, Indiana jones ride!! I plan to love it whenever I get there to ride it!
I love that you PLAN to love it!!! :rotfl2:

Dancing willow pics are the best!
Thanks! :goodvibes

More, less or as jerky as Dino?
Hmm, I would say about the same. :confused3 If one is less, it would be Indy - but I'm guessing that it just seems that way because the jerks make more sense and fit the story better and therefore are less noticeable to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter