• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland or Bust: A Mother-Daughter Coastal Road Trip

Back!! Love the title quote, one of my absolute favorite Disney songs!

Oh man, I am so excited for Willow to ride California Screamin'. She will love it. One of my absolute favorite rides!

I'm pretty sure "I disobeyed you!" is going to be a new catchphrase of my trips...

I totally remember the cupcake hair!!! What a thing of beauty!

Actually crying at Wheel of Doom. I imagine Willow would be all about the swinging ones...I was terrified in the non-swinging one.

Wow, I really like that the winner gets to pick the colors of the Wheel! That's super cool.

Your WOC pics are fab. I especially love the one with the Up balloons! I just remember being completely breathless when I saw that show for the first time-it's so incredible!

She liked Monsters, Inc. quite a bit, I think. Though she has been obsessed with monsters recently (before the movie), telling us they were hiding under our bed and such. :confused3 But she does seem to think they are friendly monsters, so that's good. :sulley:
Awwww - that is so cute!!!! Monsters Inc. was perfect for her then! I think she may need a Sully pillow pet.....:rolleyes1

Glad that they were able to make some Disney magic and get Willow some Minnie ears! pixiedust:

It was so sweet of the CM. :goodvibes

That zoetrope things looks pretty cool. Izzy loves Toy Story, so I'm sure that and the Toy Story characters in the parade would be a big hit. :thumbsup2
Izzy would LOVE DCA - I think you should go as soon as possible! ;)

Glad you had a good time at the drawing class(es).
Oh, we had so much fun! I don't know if you have done them before, but in a couple of years, you will have SUCH a blast doing these classes with Izzy!

Dinner sounds nice. Love all the ear pictures. And Willow's dessert looks tasty!
It was a great evening!

Cinderella from...Cinderella!!

Going back to read!
I think Courtney is officially BACK!!! Two more, baby! :woohoo:

Love all the pics of the World of Color show! I've mostly seen pictures of the colorful fountains (which is great, of course), but I haven't seen many pics of the projection scenes, so those were really neat! :goodvibes
Oh, thank you! I obviously struggled to get any decent pictures, but I really wanted to be able to show at least a tiny bit of how cool this show is. In person, it is amazing!

Back!! Love the title quote, one of my absolute favorite Disney songs!
Gotta admit - that was one of the quotations I wasn't sure someone would get. Nice princess knowledge there!

Oh man, I am so excited for Willow to ride California Screamin'. She will love it. One of my absolute favorite rides!
Oh man, that poor child has been tortured by that ride for years. At least with RnRC, she can't see it. This one, she just stands there watching it, dreaming of it. She is just DYING to do it. I, on the other hand, well, I can't say that I was THAT disappointed that she hadn't met the height requirement yet..... :laughing:

I'm pretty sure "I disobeyed you!" is going to be a new catchphrase of my trips...
:rotfl2: She LOVED that - better than the "no dancing" was being able to say "I disobeyed you!!!!" every time! :rotfl2:

I totally remember the cupcake hair!!! What a thing of beauty!
Right??? I can't believe they let themselves be bullied into changing it. It was AWESOME!

Actually crying at Wheel of Doom. I imagine Willow would be all about the swinging ones...I was terrified in the non-swinging one.
Yeah, poor Willow. Unless and until we visit DLR with another adult crazy enough to experience that attraction, that is one that she will just have to miss. I do my best to go on even the things I really don't want to because of my height fears (I don't want to cause her to have the same irrational fears), but the Wheel of Doom? No - I'm sorry, I just can't do it. I can't. I won't. I can't. I have done gondolas and nearly had a heart attack - twice. I have done fair rides that made me want to die. But the Wheel of Doom? Nope. Can't do it. And, yes, she would LOVE the swinging cars. :scared1:

Wow, I really like that the winner gets to pick the colors of the Wheel! That's super cool.
It really was a fantastic idea to make the wait for the show go by faster. It totally worked. We had so much fun trying to remember the colors and key them in correctly. That's really all it takes to make a long wait become much shorter. Disney genius!

Your WOC pics are fab. I especially love the one with the Up balloons! I just remember being completely breathless when I saw that show for the first time-it's so incredible!
Oh, thanks. I don't have a great camera or even decent photography skills, but I tried so hard to get at least a handful of pictures that would give a sense of what the show is like. I don't think it can be captured though. Isn't it amazing???? Ugh - we love it so much!!!!

Sounds like something Cinderella would say. From... well Cinderella.
I'm about 50% sure.

Ha! Just scrolled down some more.
Now I'm almost positive I'm right since Courtneybelle already said it! :laughing:

Willow was wearing her Donald cupcake shirt and wanted to show him

I noticed her shirt on the last post.

Willow was longingly eyeing this attraction, but she is still not tall enough.

Really? I would've thought the ears would've put her over the edge.

No dancing, Willow!
I disobeyed you!!!

:laughing: That still cracks me up!

I so miss Ariel's cupcake hair.....

I didn't even know it'd been changed 'til just now.

Turns out that Wine Country and Ariel's Grotto share a viewing spot quite close to the front. (Last time, we did the Carthay Circle WOC dining, and its viewing spot is way in the back - strange.)

That's weird. "Dine here! Get the best seats in the house for WOC!"
"No! Dine here! Worst seats in the house!"

This is a game that you play on your phone - you have to try to match the color sequence shown on the Wheel of Doom.
The person in the crowd with the best score then gets to control the Wheel of Doom colors for a minute or so.

That sounds like fun! It'd be cool to win.

I find it very hard to get good pics of this show, but I did the best I could!

And you did a very good job! Thanks for all the pics!
And for the update! :goodvibes

Oh boy I bet Willow can't wait too ride Screamin'. I kinda fell in love with that one myself.

When I was there, Carsland was stil in progress, but they did turn on the lights at night, so you could still get a glipse of what was coming. It looks so pretty at night. All the more reason for a return visit I think.

The "No Dancing" protests just never get old. :lmao:

I was there when the Mermaid ride was still new (and still hadn't even opened in WDW) and even then it had very little wait. I don't get it.

I just LOVED World of Color. I saw it twice that trip. I saw a few videos beforehand and honestly thought it looked meh. This is for sure something that needs to be seen in person. I'm hoping that whatever they have planned for Animal Kingdom's nighttime show is something along the lines of this.

:rotfl2:
Finally, as we were getting close to the last part of the queue, the older teen said something to me like, "Um, my dad's back there, can he ....." at which point I kind of interrupted and gave him a big warm smile and said, "SURE! You can absolutely go back and join him!"
oh my gosh I laughed so hard at this... good for you lance is still cracking up and we think we may just use this one from now on..

Last edited:

Yeah, poor Willow. Unless and until we visit DLR with another adult crazy enough to experience that attraction, that is one that she will just have to miss. I do my best to go on even the things I really don't want to because of my height fears (I don't want to cause her to have the same irrational fears), but the Wheel of Doom? No - I'm sorry, I just can't do it. I can't. I won't. I can't. I have done gondolas and nearly had a heart attack - twice. I have done fair rides that made me want to die. But the Wheel of Doom? Nope. Can't do it. And, yes, she would LOVE the swinging cars.
I have to agree with you on this one ronni, lance talked me into it one time back when the park first opened, we call it mickey's not so fun wheel, haven't been on it since. :sick: nope never ever ever going on it again. when the granddaughter gets old enough papa can take her. lol

I made the board! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: Most excitement I've had in a while. :)

Great update. I love the fish on the carousel. That is just too stinkin' cute.

Tell Willow when she becomes tall enough she can ride California Screamin' a few extra times for me since you won't see me getting on it. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

The pictures from World of Color are spectacular. I love seeing all of these in everyone's TR...looks like a terrific show.

Willow was longingly eyeing this attraction, but she is still not tall enough. :(
One of these days. And it is definitely worth the wait!!!!

I suggested that we head back over to Paradise Pier and do the Little Mermaid ride since there is never a wait for that (at least not in my experience), but we were so close to CarsLand that there was no convincing Willow not to wander over and check the wait time for the single rider line at RSR. I do LOVE CarsLand at night, so I didn't fight her too much on this.
Willow made the right call. Even if you aren't going to ride anything, Carsland at night is awesome!!!!

So we decided to do Mater's ride since, as usual, there was no wait!
Fun ride. No wait. Can't go wrong!

At some point, they started the Wheel of Doom - er, I mean Fun Wheel - game. This is a game that you play on your phone - you have to try to match the color sequence shown on the Wheel of Doom.
This is the first I've ever heard of that game. Looks like a cool idea!

The person in the crowd with the best score then gets to control the Wheel of Doom colors for a minute or so. It was fun, and this really made the time go by faster for us and everyone else, I think. Smart idea, Disney!
I think that is awesome! It stinks that you have to get there 45 minutes or so before the show starts and just have to stand around waiting. Anything to make the time go by faster is a win!

That was my biggest complaint about Fantasmic! at DL. You get your FP, they tell you to be there an hour before the show to get the best spots and you still end up standing there for an hour being bored. They could really use something, anything there as well!

We were back in our room at about 10:35 and getting to bed as fast as we could to be ready for another early morning
WoC looks incredible! Thanks for the pictures! I'm so disappointed that we missed out on seeing it.

10:35 looks like it could a short night before an early morning!

Sounds like something Cinderella would say. From... well Cinderella.
I'm about 50% sure.

Ha! Just scrolled down some more.
Now I'm almost positive I'm right since Courtneybelle already said it! :laughing:

I noticed her shirt on the last post.
AND thought it was spectacular, I'm sure.....

Really? I would've thought the ears would've put her over the edge.
Man, that child would LOVE it if she could get them to measure her WITH ears. :laughing:

:laughing: That still cracks me up!
Let me just say, I sure hope it doesn't get old..... :rolleyes1

I didn't even know it'd been changed 'til just now.
Yep - I think it was swapped out pretty quickly. I for one LOVED the cupcake hair though. :laughing:

That's weird. "Dine here! Get the best seats in the house for WOC!"
"No! Dine here! Worst seats in the house!"
You know, our view from the Carthay area was perfectly good too, but that was likely because we were right at the railing - slow season and we arrived early. I don't think Willow would have seen anything had we been further back. But that was likely true of any viewing spot since she is shorter than the huge majority of viewers. :laughing: Still just weird that Carthay's section is so completely different from the other dining sections. :confused3

That sounds like fun! It'd be cool to win.
I REALLY wanted to win. Okay, I always REALLY want to win.....

And you did a very good job! Thanks for all the pics!
And for the update! :goodvibes[/QUOTE]
Thank you!!! :goodvibes

Oh boy I bet Willow can't wait too ride Screamin'. I kinda fell in love with that one myself.
Oh, Rob, she is just tortured by it. She always has to stop and watch it taking off. She is just dreaming of the day. It's the only real negative to being such a short kid (that and the teasing at school, of course :rolleyes:).

When I was there, Carsland was stil in progress, but they did turn on the lights at night, so you could still get a glipse of what was coming. It looks so pretty at night. All the more reason for a return visit I think.
CarsLand at night is really something. I mean, CarsLand is ALWAYS good, but it is kind of spectacular at night. You really need to go back!!!!

The "No Dancing" protests just never get old. :lmao:
I hope that's true, because you still have plenty of them coming...... :rolleyes1

I was there when the Mermaid ride was still new (and still hadn't even opened in WDW) and even then it had very little wait. I don't get it.
I don't get it either. I mean, it's not a thrill ride, but it's a very nice darkish ride-through story. Like many other popular attractions. :confused3 Willow and I both really like it though, so we are good with a short wait! :laughing:

I just LOVED World of Color. I saw it twice that trip. I saw a few videos beforehand and honestly thought it looked meh. This is for sure something that needs to be seen in person. I'm hoping that whatever they have planned for Animal Kingdom's nighttime show is something along the lines of this.
You know, I have thought the same thing. I wonder if the upcoming AK nighttime show will be something similar to WoC. I would NOT be disappointed in that. Both Willow and I really love WoC - it's so beautiful.
oh my gosh I laughed so hard at this... good for you lance is still cracking up and we think we may just use this one from now on..
You should! You can call out a line-cutter without feeling like you are going off on someone or creating some big drama. It was very freeing! :laughing:

I have to agree with you on this one ronni, lance talked me into it one time back when the park first opened, we call it mickey's not so fun wheel, haven't been on it since. :sick: nope never ever ever going on it again. when the granddaughter gets old enough papa can take her. lol
I hear ya! I try very hard to do things with Willow that challenge my heights phobia (including that horrible gondola earlier in this trip), but I KNOW that I cannot handle a giant ferris wheel. Just no. Can't do it. I feel bad, but I cannot do it. :confused3

I made the board! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: Most excitement I've had in a while. :)
:woohoo:Nothing like a little healthy competition to add to a day's excitement! :laughing:

Great update. I love the fish on the carousel. That is just too stinkin' cute.
Triton's carousel is easy to pass up for more exciting rides, but it definitely is very cute.

Tell Willow when she becomes tall enough she can ride California Screamin' a few extra times for me since you won't see me getting on it. :rotfl2::rotfl2:
She will be happy to do so, I'm sure! :rotfl2:

The pictures from World of Color are spectacular. I love seeing all of these in everyone's TR...looks like a terrific show.
Oh, it is a show that I think you would absolutely love, Kathy!

One of these days. And it is definitely worth the wait!!!!
I sure wish we had plans to go back this year - she should be tall enough for it before long. She is just dying to ride it! Due to her height, I have never ridden it either. I'm not quite as keen to give it a try as she is, but I'll be onboard when she hits 48 inches. :thumbsup2

Willow made the right call. Even if you aren't going to ride anything, Carsland at night is awesome!!!!
Totally agree. We try to get over there after the sun goes down as often as possible - just so cool!

Fun ride. No wait. Can't go wrong!
:woohoo:

This is the first I've ever heard of that game. Looks like a cool idea!
It really did make the waiting go by a lot faster. I thought it was a great idea!

I think that is awesome! It stinks that you have to get there 45 minutes or so before the show starts and just have to stand around waiting. Anything to make the time go by faster is a win!
Totally agree - I am not good at waiting. I definitely need distractions. :laughing:

That was my biggest complaint about Fantasmic! at DL. You get your FP, they tell you to be there an hour before the show to get the best spots and you still end up standing there for an hour being bored. They could really use something, anything there as well!
All the different Fantasmic! FP stuff hadn't begun when we made our summer trip, but we did do a special Fantasmic! even that was available back then (more on that later) - same problem though. You just end up waiting anyway. :confused3

WoC looks incredible! Thanks for the pictures! I'm so disappointed that we missed out on seeing it.
I'm disappointed FOR you. It really is an amazing show.

But of course. I assumed that went without saying???
Phew!!!

No! I'm shocked! Shocked!
You seem to have gotten the idea that I'm competitive or something. :confused3 :rotfl2:

The Contest: First person to provide the movie title from which the chapter heading comes gets a point; two points if the character who utters the line is also identified. If the first person doesn’t name the character, the first poster to do so will get a point.

Current Standing:
Courtney (courtneybelle): 16 points
Jill (jedijill): 22 points
pkondz: 10 points
Megan (MonsterWDWmom): 2 points
Shannon (shan23877): 8 points
Lori (STLMickeyMom): 4 points
petals: 1 point
Rob (DisneyKid4Life): 4 points
Dugette: 6 points
Kathy (KatMark): 2 points

"How dare you open a space man's helmet on an uncharted planet? My eyeballs could have been sucked from their sockets!"

Day 12A - Tuesday, 5 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort

We were up and ready to go bright and early once again - out the door at 6:25AM.

Willow grabbed a cereal bar for breakfast, and we headed out to our "secret" path.

A quick detour was needed for coffee and a chocolate milk.

Early entry today was at Disneyland park, and there were already quite a few people in line when we arrived at 6:45.

We headed straight for Space Mountain when we were let in. Walk with us!

Oh, this is the Little Red Wagon where you can get hand-dipped corndogs - supposed to be delicious....

We arrived at Space and were in line by 7:15.

Ride vehicle Hidden Mickey!

After Space, we headed to the Matterhorn, but it was down. So we actually got to experience some of Fantasyland for a change! :woohoo:

Dumbo was first on Willow's list.

No dancing, Willow!

I disobeyed you!

Some views from our flight.

Up Next: Day 12A (cont.)

Day 12A - Tuesday, 5 August 2014 - Disneyland Resort (cont.)

DL still has Snow White’s Scary Adventures, so we had to do that, of course!

Had to get some pictures for those of you who can barely remember this attraction….. ;)

After Snow White, it was a few minutes after 8. Check out the folks lined up to meet Anna and Elsa! (Have I mentioned how happy I was that Willow decided to skip this on this trip???? :woohoo:) (I should mention here that the A&E meet has since changed; they have moved to DCA as part of Frozen Fun and can now be met via FP. You will hear MUCH more about all that if you join in for our January 2015 TR once I get it going!)

In contrast, our stroll over to Frontierland was almost people-free. (Frontierland is not open during EMH, so it had just opened up at this point.)

Love the details in the concrete pavement!

Of course, we were headed to BTMRR. Unfortunately, it was down. :( We grabbed some FPs though.

When BTMRR is down, where do we head? PotC, of course!

No blurry dancing, Willow!

I disobeyed you!

We were trying to find the Hidden Mickey's on the PotC ride this time. We did find the lily pad one near the beginning (we think!) and then this padlock one on the way out.

Up Next: Day 12B

We were up and ready to go bright and early once again - out the door at 6:25AM.

She looks pretty chipper for 6:25.
Is that just a Disney phenomenon? Or is she pretty good on school days?

A quick detour was needed for coffee and a chocolate milk.

Huh. I'm a little surprised. Most kids don't like coffee.
How was your chocolate milk?

Early entry today was at Disneyland park, and there were already quite a few people in line when we arrived at 6:45.

Perchance, the word on rope drop is getting out.

We headed straight for Space Mountain when we were let in. Walk with us!

Okay! Just let me tie my shoelaces... uh, hang on guys. Wait up! Waiiittt!!!

Dang it.

Oh, this is the Little Red Wagon where you can get hand-dipped corndogs - supposed to be delicious....

Nebo and Smidgy's corndogs!!!

No dancing, Willow!
I disobeyed you!

:laughing: Nope. Still not old.

Had to get some pictures for those of you who can barely remember this attraction….. ;)

Heh.
My girls were too scared to go on it first time (4 and 8).
When they rode it 4 years later, they didn't understand what I was talking about.
"That's not scary!"
But I credit it with giving them the courage to try HM (which they loved).

Love the details in the concrete pavement!

So many details. So little time.

No blurry dancing, Willow!
I disobeyed you!

And you got her hands to be blurry! :laughing:

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

Is it wrong that the carpet in that hotel gives me goosebumps? Didn't think so.

I do remember how much I loved Space Mountain in Disneyland. It is just eons better that Magic Kingdom. The walk in to the ride seems so strange to me though. But I do also love a ride vehicle Hidden Mickey.

Ahhh classic Dumbo. I really really do like the look of it in WDW, it's breathtaking, but there is something special about Dumbo in DLand.

Ha, looks like someone needs a "No Dancing" shirt.

Roni, I did Snow White when I was there (of course), but I have a question. Does it kind of end... abruptly? I know we were really confused like "Wait... What... It's over????? It is quite different from the old WDW version so I'm just curious if you found the same. Maybe one time wasn't enough to get it.

I just love looking at your photos. They bring back such great Disneyland memories. The subject of which did come up on my last trip to WDW, so it is on the radar.

Hiya! :wave2: It's been a while since I've been over here, so I had a TON of reading to do ;) Fabulous pictures as always. I just love "Dancing Willow"! Too precious! Those really show her cute personality.

Hope you haven't been working too hard. Life always seems to get crazy when Spring approaches...for whatever reason.

Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter