• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland on NYE

hypnotic

Earning My Ears
Hey, I was thinking about doing Disneyland for NYE this year, and I've been told by a couple people I may want to reconsider. Anyone have any experience and feedback? Thanks.

Think of what a crowded moment on Main Street looks like. Now add more people. Got the visual? Okay, now add a few more. Welcome to DL on NYE. It's crowded. Very crowded. You won't believe anyone who tells you. Then you will go and think, "Wow! That was really unbelievably crowded!". We've done it. We'll never do it again.

- Dreams

We went for NY Eve 2008, and it was extremely crowded, but magical. We went early, got all our fast-passes that we wanted for the day before noon (the good rides ran out by 11a I think), went to CA for lunch, then napped; when exiting CMs had told to be back in the park in the early evening since they might fill up to capacity and might not be letting people back in as the night wore on, so we came back into DL around 4-ish, and used our fast-passes until midnight. Watched the fireworks from the top of Space Mountain, which was beautiful and pretty empty (a few people other than us on the railing - most were crowded near Main Street), and kept on riding rides for another hour before they closed down. But we were prepared for crowds, had the whole week (3 days on either side), so plenty of time for rides, and honestly, all the other guests were in a great mood, pretty polite, etc. Had random people hand us fast-passes they weren't going to use for rides we had not gotten, and what we weren't going to use we tried to pass on in the pay it forward spirit. Would we do it again? Maybe one trip in every decade since we prefer our fall season with no/low crowds, but it was fun to see DLR in its glory at least once. And, being from Hawaii we prefer to do our own fireworks on New Years!

We've done New Year's Eve twice at DL and it was so much fun!!! It is crowded but there is no place else I would rather be. Crowd levels varied from the first time to the second. The first time it was raining all morning and the park was virtually empty until mid-afternoon. I would love to go again!

If you go, avoid Main Street at all costs. It was claustrophobically crowded the time I was there - from about 8 p.m. on through the rest of the night. People stand there, smooshed together and don't move for hours, just so they can be there at midnight. We were actually afraid we would not be able to get through the crowds because they were so jammed onto Main Street.

It may not be like this every year. This won't happen if it rains. But if it's a clear day, it will be a madhouse. It has already been a madhouse most of this whole holiday season, from what Cast Members have said. New Year's Eve will be no different, if not much worse. Just be prepared and stay in other areas of the park.

We got for NYE every year, except this year because we had family that wanted to fly into town for Christmas/NYE, so we went earlier in the month. But we fully intend to be there for NYE next year.

Everything that previous posters have said about crowds is correct. It is shoulder-to-shoulder on or near Main Street. Once midnight hits and the crowds start to clear out, there's just a current of people.. you have no choice about which direction you walk, or if you walk.. you just get swept in and you pretty much have to go where everyone else is going. It's like a big blob of people moving in sync. I've had my feet run over by strollers many times.

I always carry a backpack with me in the park, because I take a lot of A/V equipment for video, audio, and stills. So on NYE I add two small tripod folding chairs that weight about one pound each. We don't have to find comfortable places to sit.. we can break out the chairs and sit anywhere (since there are no places to sit unless you're scoping out a spot six hours in advance). The chairs also come in handy while waiting in other lines.

In general, I hate crowds, but Disneyland crowds never bothered me -- unless they're blocking my shot. :)

I'll be in DL in two days!!

Why is it so packed on Main Street? Tksbaskets was nice enough to send me holiday maps from 2009 DL and DCA. I see they had bands and celebrations in the French Quarter, Small World Promenade and Tomorrowland Terrace. Is it just for the fireworks that the crowd gathers?

It seems like we can celebrate throughout the park and avoid Main Street. I know it might take a few rounds of the monorail, but if we enjoy the Tomorrowland Terrace band, we can use the monorail to get out of the park.

We've gone twice for NYE and after the 2nd time I decided that it would be my last.

We couldn't move for about 20 minutes after the fireworks. It was so tight I had difficulty moving my arms and the people were like a stuck food processor - grinding to a halt and simply spinning but not pushing anything around. I have small children now and I could only imagine that if you didn't have the stroller or be carrying them, the younger kids could get trampled. We also saw a lot of teens/college age kids who snuck alcohol into the park in water or drink bottles - you could smell it on them as you passed.

That being said, I have great memories of being in other areas of the park. The Treehouse provides great views of the New Orleans levy and of the crowds. Fun, but not a family experience!

...Why is it so packed on Main Street? ...

There is a stage. There is a countdown clock. There are characters (i.e. Mickey, Minnie, etc....). It is one of the locations where (historically) they give out hats and blowers. And, as you mentioned, the fireworks. Add it all together, and Main Street becomes just unbelievably crowded. You will think people are exaggerating, until you've seen it yourself. Shoulder to shoulder, elbow to elbow, you get the idea. Just packed.

- Dreams

I think we'll enjoy the other areas of the park, or consider DCA. One advantage of DCA, after midnight we can exit thru the Grand California to get back to Paradise Pier.

We are going too. Fitting in a last minute trip, arrive the 30th in the afternoon, leave the afternoon of the second, before the girls' school and musical production schedules prevent us from doing anything more than dinner at the local eatery. Its really our only opportunity until summer and we can't wait that long. :lovestruc We've done summer and Halloween, so we are familiar with busy... But we also know this will be worse! Any one have any touring plans helpful hints? We will stay away from Main Street. Where to watch fireworks? Should we even try to see F!? Will the light tower trick work? Or do we camp out? Or do we do it a different night? We will be utilizing MM for Fantasyland and FP collecting like we always do and then taking a break at lunch time. I'm figuring we will have to stay in the park from 4pm on. But we should be good catching a bite outside the park before then right?

Hey, I was thinking about doing Disneyland for NYE this year, and I've been told by a couple people I may want to reconsider. Anyone have any experience and feedback? Thanks.

I have never been myself on NYE @ Disneyland .. But I have heard enough horror stories to not go..

then again, the parks are open till after midnight

I have never been myself on NYW @ Disneyland .. But I have heard enough horror stories to not go..

then again, the parks are open till after midnight

It's kind of like sleeping on the streets of Pasadena for the parade, everyone should do it once. After that you're over it ;)

It's kind of like sleeping on the streets of Pasadena for the parade, everyone should do it once. After that you're over it ;)

Umm no.. I think I will pass ;) but thanks for the suggestion! :rotfl2::scared1:

and I know I put nyw, I corrected it! :) :scared1::laughing:

I'll be in DL in two days!!

Why is it so packed on Main Street? Tksbaskets was nice enough to send me holiday maps from 2009 DL and DCA. I see they had bands and celebrations in the French Quarter, Small World Promenade and Tomorrowland Terrace. Is it just for the fireworks that the crowd gathers?

It seems like we can celebrate throughout the park and avoid Main Street. I know it might take a few rounds of the monorail, but if we enjoy the Tomorrowland Terrace band, we can use the monorail to get out of the park.

Because it's more than just a fireworks display. There's a NYE party on Main Street near the castle which begins a couple of hours before midnight.

Ok from what I have heard and read, it’s the WHOLE park.. but main st is the most crowded…:scared1: :confused:

Ok from what I have heard and read, it’s the WHOLE park.. but main st is the most crowded…:scared1: :confused:

Main Street is the most crowded, but the rest of the park holds its share of visitors as well. There are just a lot of people there during that time.

We have gone every year since 1999 on NYE. We ALWAYS know that it is going to be super busy, crowds are insane and wait times are everywhere. If you plan on going with the thoughts of this in your head, and look for the magic that is to be held, then the evening is fantastic!
You will not be able to do everything that you would on a "typical" Disneyland day, but you will be able to create memories that will last forever.
There are going to be the typical visitors that will not be friendly, that will push and shove, run you over with strollers and be nasty. There will also be the ones that are there with their families that are wanting to experience the magic, and are there for that reason, will share a smile, or offer their seats to you for a table.
I think avoiding the Main Street crowd at all costs is the best thing to do. The hats are passed out in the area around Big Thunder BBQ, we have never not gotten a hat or noise maker. They have tons!
There are stages set up with music for the evening, we have found that Tommorland Terrace or Small World areas are the best for our family. They are crowded, but not like Main Street.
Go with the thought that you are there ALL day, remember that you are the one that makes the memories, either they are wonderful or miserable. Its up to you! See you on NYE!

If you go in expecting the insanity it probably wouldn't be too good. I'm super excited to spend my first NYE at Disneyland!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter