DisneyLand (Must Do)

tinkerbell_mom

Mouseketeer
We will be making our first trip to Disneyland in March with 2, 9-year-olds. We have been to Walt Disney World 5 times but this will probably be our one trip to Disneyland. We have 3 days in the parks. I'm wondering

What are the must do at Disneyland
- Attractions
- Shows/Parades
- Restaurants
- Disneyland specific souveneirs

I know everyone probably has different opinions but i would love to hear them all. :)

Thanks!

These are what would be on my must do list....

Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain because they are far better at DL.

Indy, Finding Nemo Subs, Mr. Toads Wild Ride and Matterhorn because these aren't at WDW.

Over at DCA you can do Monsters Inc, Screamin and Bugs Land.

Oops forgot to add, definitely see Remember Dreams Come True fireworks!

I think with 3 days at the beginning of march you'll pretty much be able to see everything!!! We always do everything at least 3-4 times when its off season!

For thrill rides:

Disneyland:

Splash Mountain (Which I think gets you WAY more wet than the Florida one)
Thunder Mountain (A slight variation from Disney World)
Space Mountain (Very different from Florida, but still as cool)
Matterhorn Bobsleds (I think they re-open from a refurb on March 13, could be wrong though)
Indiana Jones Adventure (Similar to Dinosaur from the Animal Kingdom, but I don't think the I.J.A is as scary)

California Adventure (...has tougher thrill rides):

Tower of Terror (A number of noticeable differences from the Disney World one)
California Screamin' (Sort of like an outdoor Rockin' Roller Coaster)
Grizzly River Run (Gets you really wet! Just like the Kali River Rapids at the Animal Kingdom)

The attractions I listed are either unique to California or are also in Florida but different enough that the experiences on the California versions will be new. Those are my suggestions for thrill rides. I don't know if you guys do the tougher ones, but if you do... that's my opinion.

For me:

Attractions- Indy, SM, Pirates, Matterhorn, Cali Screamin', Grizzly River Run

Shows/Parades- Billy Hill & the Hillbillies, Pixar Play Parade, fireworks

Restaurants- French Market, Plaza Inn, Pizza Port

Disneyland specific souveneirs- pressed coins, pins

The Princess Faire! Pixie Hallow! The characters are a big part of Disneyland to me and I never miss them no matter how long the line (okay maybe on heavy days sometimes I'll skip xD)

Also Fantasmic!

Don't forget Toy Story Midway Mania at DCA and Small World at DL (it is the original and different from WDW).

The train is different from WDW.

Sorry if this was already mentioned as I have not read the entire thread.

Be sure to see the things DL has that WDW does not have. For example, the Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, and especially the Aladdin show. Seriously the Aladdin show is near Broadway caliber - there is no show like this anywhere at WDW. Don't miss it!

And some rides that are "similar" to WDW but vastly superior at DL. For example, the Indiana Jones ride is so much better than Dinosaur you won't believe they use similar technology. And of course, check out Space Mountain, most people who have ridden both prefer the DL version.

Also, once you've seen the DL fireworks performance of "Remember, Dreams Come True" it will forever spoil "Wishes" for you, at least it did for me. I enjoy Wishes but always feel a bit disappointed now that I've seen RDCT at DL.

Have a GREAT Trip!

One thing I havent seen mentioned yet is the souveniers.

The one must have, if you ask me, is the Disneyland CD that has the music from all the attractions. Im sorry I cant remeber the name but it should be anywhere they sell CDs in the park. I think that is the only place you can get it. I dont think you can even order it online anywhere. It has music from all the rides and shows. Its huge fun. It even has the entire track played during the fireworks show.

Its great to listen too once you get home with the kids in the car. Really helps bring back the memories of your trip.:wizard:

Well lately I have found myself crossing over to California adventure but Disney is good every time there is an event.

As far as attractions my faves are Indy and Cali Screamin' ... As far as food me and my family love trying new things and don't have a clear fave just yet

My must-dos are:

Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Soarin' over California
Jungle Cruise
Indy
Tower of Terror
Splash Mountain

Have fun! :banana:

I haven't been for 7 years, but am going in a few months .

My to do list is:
Splash Mtn (I've never been on it, it was down for refurb last time, and being built the time before that!)
Indiana Jones - my favorite ride!
California Screamin - another fav!
Soarin

I'm big into thrill rides, so those are my must do's. I do have 4 year olds going this time, and for them we are definetly doing Toon Town, and the classic Disney rides (Peter Pan, Small world, ect). I also really enjoyed the 3D shows, they were a nice break and a a lot of fun to watch!

My must do's:

Small World
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Alice in Wonderland
Indiana Jones
Haunted Mansion (I much prefer the overall outside look of HM at DLR vs WDW, it looks scarier somehow!)
Tiki Room!!!! I LOVE the original!

DCA:

Tower of Terror
Monster's Inc ride (though it scared dd!)
Toy Story Mania

Must do food:

Cafe Orleans if only for the pommes frites, and a churro from one of the carts ;)

Food! :lmao: seriously, my kids start talking about the food as soon as they know we are going. The food in DLR is a class above WDW in my opinion.

Favorite places:
Cafe Orleans (Monte Cristo and fries)
Carnation Cafe (Baked potato soup and sandwiches)
Taste Pilot's Grill (DCA) (Kids love the ribs)
Pacific Wharf Cafe (DCA) (Chowder and bread)
Favorite snacks and treats:
Tigger Tails
Blue Ribbon Bakery (it's all good!)
Dole Whips (nothing better on a hot day!)

Any other advice is to repeat what others have said...enjoy the special differences between DLR and WDW. PotC, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, Grizzly River, and California Screamin' are some that we make sure to enjoy at DL. Also, we prefer Splash Mountain in DL.

I hope you have a wonderful time! Good luck with your planning! :goodvibes

We had a great time eating at the Blue Bayou inside POTC. The kids waved at the people passing by and it has great atmosphere and food. After you eat get on the ride and watch them clean your table!

Once you do POTC at DL, you'll never look at WDWs the same again!

I also thought Peter Pan was better at DL and it's my fav ride so it's important to me, not everyone thinks so. Also DS swore that BTMR was faster at DL, but I couldn't tell a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter