• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland in July/August?

Glynis

<font color=indigo>Taking applications for a WDW t
Typically, my extended family (25 of us) usually goes to Disneyland in early June, every other year for our own version of a "Grand Gathering." We were scheduled to go June 5 2011, however, due to my father's job, we have to find another time. We have several school teacher's in our family, as well as teens who find missing 5 days of school quite a chore. So, I'm trying to find another time to go where the teachers, and the students won't be too put out.

Is July/August really bad at Disneyland? What is the heat like? What are the crowds like?

We get 5 day Park Hoppers, so we don't have to stay in the parks all day long, but is it just too hot to do the parks at this time?

Is the summer considered "peak season"? Will hotel/ticket costs be more than in late spring?

I would appreciate any honest opinions as to summer visits. I'm getting together with my father and siblings next week to hammer out our next trip, and would like to have some input to give them.

Thanks in advance!

Too hot compared to what I guess is the question? It's downright cold at DLR if you compare to WDW in the summer!

I thought it was pleasantly warm last weekend. Now you could hit a crazy hot spell in the 90s I guess, but no way to know that.

If you arrive early and work the FP the crowds are quite manageable IMO.

Kim

Too hot compared to what I guess is the question? It's downright cold at DLR if you compare to WDW in the summer!

I thought it was pleasantly warm last weekend. Now you could hit a crazy hot spell in the 90s I guess, but no way to know that.

If you arrive early and work the FP the crowds are quite manageable IMO.

Kim

Thanks. We live in Utah, so we are used to dry heat. I do worry about my dad, though, as he's 80 but thinks he's 60, and won't slow down as much as he should. Heat really gets to him.

Mostly I worry about crowds being too much. We are used to having wait times of less than 10 minutes for all the rides. We do know how to use the FP system, and that should help.

I went in both June and July this year. My June trip included the last 2 days for SoCal passholders before being blocked out for the summer so it was very crowded in the parks. July had a huge convention in town but it still seemed a little better than June. Weather was about the same. We usually get to the parks early in the morning and do lots of stuff and collect fast passes, take a break in the afternoon by the pool and go back at night. I think July and August have gotten better than June because of the SoCal block out. Just make sure you go early enough in August before the passes are valid again.

Hmmm. Summer is not for everyone I guess. Personally I think summer (July/August) is a great time to visit DLR. I think the weather is (usually) as perfect as you can get. And crowds are manageable - especially if you have a hotel close to DLR.

See "Detailed Weather Data for DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158

We were in the parks July 5th-July 9th this Summer. It wasn't hot, in fact members of our group were downright cold for several hours of the morning (they wore pants and sweatshirts). That's not typical July weather in Anaheim, but that's how it went this year. The weather was mild enough that we skipped our planned midday breaks for 4 of our 5 days in the parks. It just wasn't hot enough to need to leave.

We've driven through Utah many times during Summer months and unless Alpine is high up in the mountains, I think you can safely assume that the weather at DLR with be cooler than it is at your house during the Summer.

We found crowds to be heavy during our trip last month....although this did not mean we found horribly long lines everywhere. We got there early, used late FP's, etc., so we were able to manage the lines at DL pretty well. It was a different story for DCA, though. UGH! Suffice it to say that we found lines at DCA to be pretty miserable most of the time we were there (the main problem was that our favorite section of the park was closed at 7:15 for WOC, effectively eliminating half of DCA's rides (or more?) for the evenings (which is our favorite time to be there).

So, at DL we could manage the lines despite the crowds, but trying to navigate through the parks with a group of 10 (we took our in-laws and 2 nieces) was REALLY difficult due to the thick crowds. It made it pretty hard to enjoy our time there. Are you going with lots of very small children? If not, then it likely won't seem quite as miserable trying to make your way through the crowds to get from ride to ride.

We were in the parks July 5th-July 9th this Summer. It wasn't hot, in fact members of our group were downright cold for several hours of the morning (they wore pants and sweatshirts). That's not typical July weather in Anaheim, but that's how it went this year. The weather was mild enough that we skipped our planned midday breaks for 4 of our 5 days in the parks. It just wasn't hot enough to need to leave.

We've driven through Utah many times during Summer months and unless Alpine is high up in the mountains, I think you can safely assume that the weather at DLR with be cooler than it is at your house during the Summer.

We found crowds to be heavy during our trip last month....although this did not mean we found horribly long lines everywhere. We got there early, used late FP's, etc., so we were able to manage the lines at DL pretty well. It was a different story for DCA, though. UGH! Suffice it to say that we found lines at DCA to be pretty miserable most of the time we were there (the main problem was that our favorite section of the park was closed at 7:15 for WOC, effectively eliminating half of DCA's rides (or more?) for the evenings (which is our favorite time to be there).

So, at DL we could manage the lines despite the crowds, but trying to navigate through the parks with a group of 10 (we took our in-laws and 2 nieces) was REALLY difficult due to the thick crowds. It made it pretty hard to enjoy our time there. Are you going with lots of very small children? If not, then it likely won't seem quite as miserable trying to make your way through the crowds to get from ride to ride.

Sounds like we would definitely be able to handle it weather-wise! Thanks.

Since we haven't been since WOC started, what are the strategies for DCA now? We used to really enjoy using it as an escape from DL during crowded times. Is that still feasible?

We will have 13 children ranging from 18 months to 19 years. They are all really familiar with DL and DCA (well, except the 18 month old!).

We are used to having wait times of less than 10 minutes for all the rides. We do know how to use the FP system, and that should help.

10 minute waits in June? Schools are out from June through mid August and thus that is the peak season. Do not go just before an AP blackout date as it will be crowded nor go over a holiday.

However, we found that July 4th has not seen the massive crowds it has in the past. I believe its because of changes to AP blackout dates. DL was a bit crowded but CA was empty.

Disneyland is not very hot usually. Once in awhile it can hit 90 with moderate humidity but thats the exception. Normally its rather mild.

This has been the coolest summer I have ever experienced in SoCal and I have lived here for 12 years. Crowds are still a problem though.

10 minute waits in June? Schools are out from June through mid August and thus that is the peak season. Do not go just before an AP blackout date as it will be crowded nor go over a holiday.

However, we found that July 4th has not seen the massive crowds it has in the past. I believe its because of changes to AP blackout dates. DL was a bit crowded but CA was empty.

Disneyland is not very hot usually. Once in awhile it can hit 90 with moderate humidity but thats the exception. Normally its rather mild.

We normally go the first week in June when the schools are still in session. We get out of school in May, so we've had that cushion of time when the CA schools are still in session.

Thanks for the weather info.

Since we haven't been since WOC started, what are the strategies for DCA now? We used to really enjoy using it as an escape from DL during crowded times. Is that still feasible?
Not as much as it used to be. Check this article from MiceAge:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al080310a.htm

Summer 2009 In-Park Sample Attendance
Disneyland 2PM – 36,000
DCA 2PM – 11,000
Disneyland 9PM – 39,000
DCA 9PM – 10,000

Summer 2010 In-Park Sample Attendance
Disneyland 2PM – 37,000
DCA 2PM – 16,000
Disneyland 9PM – 37,000
DCA 9PM – 20,000
If you are going in summer 2011 then it will shift further when the new Little Mermaid ride opens at DCA.

What strategy should you use? If you want to see World of Color - and you should - you should plan around that at least one day. It remains to be seen how much Disney will continue with the night time entertainment. Glow Fest will go away this month but something else is coming (see MiceAge article above).

Also, next year will be DCA's 10th anniversary and Disney may cook up a celebration of some sort. If they do, expect it to be rolled out in the summer (May or early June). Who knows how that will affect things?

Also, the construction work on the DCA entrance will be in full swing in 2011.

DD & I visited over this past 4th of July weekend ~ we had a wonderful time *we plan to visit again over the same weekend next year ~ her B-day is 7/3. Crowds were manageable, especially early in the day. It was chilly in the mornings and evenings ~ UT is definitely hotter!

DD & I visited over this past 4th of July weekend ~ we had a wonderful time *we plan to visit again over the same weekend next year ~ her B-day is 7/3. Crowds were manageable, especially early in the day. It was chilly in the mornings and evenings ~ UT is definitely hotter!

DCA was empty on July 4th. Walk on or 10 minute wait at most for all rides all day. July 5th Disneyland was empty until late afternoon and evening when waits of 15-30 minutes were common.

July 4th weekend used to be one of the most packed weekends 2nd only to New Years. Because of AP blackout dates its not anymore.

DCA was empty on July 4th. Walk on or 10 minute wait at most for all rides all day. July 5th Disneyland was empty until late afternoon and evening when waits of 15-30 minutes were common.

We were at DL on the 5th, but we sure didn't find it to be "empty". The first few hours were good, but after that we definitely encountered significant crowds in the park. Ride wait times were still decent.

OP, somebody else mentioned you "should" go see WOC. If you decide to do that, with 13 kids ranging from 18 months and up in your group, I would DEFINITELY try to to arrange something where a few adults stay back at the hotel with the youngest of your group. I cannot even IMAGINE trying to wait for that show, and deal with those crowds, with a ton of kids that young. Maybe a few adults could hang with the younger kids in Bug's Land or something? IDK, just my personal opinion, but I would think trying to do WOC with that many little kids would be more work than it was worth. Just my 2 cents. We had 2 extra kids with us on this trip (8 & 9 year old nieces), ...my two oldest, 18 and 12 year olds, helped me with our 2 youngest plus the nieces, while my husband and DFIL took turns pushing MIL's wheelchair, and we did Fantasmic one night. I'm glad the in-laws and my kids got to see it (it was our first time), but MAAAAAAN, it was a HUGE hassle waiting for the hour and a half before the show began. Personally, I'll never do that with young kids again.

And to answer your question about DCA strategies...we just picked up FP's and did our faves in the middle of the day. We would not have been able to do that if the weather hadn't been so unseasonably cool. We were never in DCA at night (which really bummed me out because I used to love it there at night); we had no interest in going through all the trouble to see WOC and don't love the effects of increased alcohol consumption in the park, so we just spent our nights over at DL.

I'm sure your family can have a great time, even in the middle of summer, and even with a group that large. Just plan carefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter