• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland in a wheelchair due to a broken toe!

DisneyFamilyMom

Earning My Ears
Ugh! I just broke my middle toe on Tuesday night and we leave for DL tomorrow AM. I am so stressed as I have 3 little ones...3 months old, 1 1/2 yr old and 5 year old. Walking is going to be very painful for me. Is it difficult to get around in a wheelchair? Also, we are traveling with another family too. I have heard that when in a wheel chair, you can go to an alternate line. But, can our whole party come with me, or am I on my own?

Also, if you have any other tips...I will take them as I am very sad :-(

Ugh! I just broke my middle toe on Tuesday night and we leave for DL tomorrow AM. I am so stressed as I have 3 little ones...3 months old, 1 1/2 yr old and 5 year old. Walking is going to be very painful for me. Is it difficult to get around in a wheelchair? Also, we are traveling with another family too. I have heard that when in a wheel chair, you can go to an alternate line. But, can our whole party come with me, or am I on my own?

Also, if you have any other tips...I will take them as I am very sad :-(

While the HA lines are not intended to bypass the waiting...a lot of times they do anyway! Especially in Fantasyland. You can take up to five guests with you through the HA line. It's really only when it's crowded that you might have problems getting around in a wheelchair...but it's not too bad this time of year. Are you having someone push you in a wheelchair - or are you going to do the electric scooter (ECV)? I found I love using the ECV...makes it so much better!!! And gives me some freedom.

Oh...some lines that tend to be longer in the HA lines - Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean. Those are the ones that I hate having to use the ECV with...but it kind of balances out since all the Fantasyland rides are quicker.

We once had a large group - and instead of actually having people go through the regular line, we did two rounds in Fantasyland - I think we had a total of 8 people (some Cast Members will allow a group that size, others will not - the actual rules are NO - only up to six (including the one in the wheelchair). When we did it...we had two people wait behind - then the next ride they went on with me (and of course up to the six people)...usually it was the kids that we had go twice). After we did one round through Fantasyland, we'd start over and go again - but this time making sure those who didn't go on Peter Pan the first time, went the second time...and so on.

And if you're doing child swap, that will sometimes take care of the extra people...so you have as many that can the first time, while someone stays with the little ones...then when you get back, two can go on that ride with the child swap pass.

Hope that helps!
~Annie

I know where you are coming from. I used to run 10 miles a day and now I use a cane and am often in a wheelchair due to a debilatating illness. I also have young children and it can be very frustrating but if you let people help it can work.
Everyone in your party can go with you. Say you are going to ride Peter Pan for example. You will need to go to the exit. You will see the wheelchair icon on the gate. Just have your husband open it and roll you right in the Cm's are very kind and will ask you how many in your party. You will get the hang of it pretty fast. Also you might want to get a handicap pamplet to help you.

I forgot to mention I personally prefer a wheelchair but that is just me. Smaller is better for us and my husband doesn't mind at all pushing me. I personally think you would be better off in a wheelchair that you could relax in and be pushed around in so you can rest your throbbing toe. It is very easy to get around in a wheelchair. Just remember you will have to adjust your mindset a little because some people can be very rude. Especially if it is busy.

I broke my toe about 3 weeks before our last trip ........I feel your pain :eek: I still had my toes taped and it was miserable. Good luck on your trip.

When I broke my bigtoe, I was told about something called Arnica gel. You can get it at any health food store. I was skeptical. I put it on my toe. It was kind of amazing. It hurt less , immediatly. Dont get me wrong, it was still broken, but it really helped. My granny uses it on her arthritis. She swears by it.
I also, kept my foot elevated in bed.
I am so sorry you broke your toe. That is just a drag.
I hope you still have fun though! I would definatly do a wheel chair. I couldnt imagine walking around at the Park with a broken toe. Besides, you can get on all the rides faster.
Good luck!

corpsegirl is right arnica is great! My friend a nurse and my chiropractor after my accident both told me to use it and wow it helps!

I sprained both ankles (don't ask) and had to go to DL in a wheelchair and it can be weird but can be done. The only part I hated was my sister trying to kill me on the wet downhill (it was raining) leaving Indy and looking at everyones butts. Some lines as mentioned do not have special lines but most do. Some shorter some not. But over all I did just fine and had a great day.

I think next time I would think about a evc though (not that I plan on hurting myself again haha!) only because it was hard having to push myself of be pushed all day. I felt a bit of a burden some times.

Sorry to hear about your injury I hope you have a wonderful time as I am sure you will. Just thinking though wouldn't an electric scooter work better so that your husband can push the stroller for the little ones? Or is the other family helping out with that, wasn't sure if they had kids too.

I've gone a few times w/ people who needed to use wheelchairs. I would strongly suggest an ECV. It's so much easier to get around and easier for you and your family members. It's very dificult to walk around DL all day long; that alone puts stresses on our bodies that most of us aren't used to. But it's even harder if you have to push someone else (or push yourself) around in addition to all that. There are areas in which the ground has slight inclines that look so mild when looking at it or walking on it, but it's a whole other ball game when you have to push the full weight of an adult uphill in a wheelchair while stuck behind people who just outright stop in the middle of the walkway to gawk at the various themes, sights, etc... It will happen, you bank on that. People will cut you off, cross in front of you even when they see you coming, etc.
If you get the ecv, you could maybe hold one child on your lap while your spouse holds or wheels the other two in the stroller.
Sorry about the broken toe. That sucks. I broke mine a few years ago, and my toe still hurts to this day; my feet, and wearing shoes are just not the same.
Good luck!

If you rent an ECV from an offsite company, they will deliver it to the hotel (they have regular wheelchairs too) - and then you have it for getting to and from the hotel too. That's what we do. For a few days, it's the same price as renting from Disneyland...for longer stays, the price is actually cheaper per day than from Disneyland.

Also, if you rent one from an offsite company, Disney Cast Members can't say anything about you having a kid on board with you. Which makes it nice. Though the major thing is that you get it for going between the hotel and disney...and you'd have it at downtown disney.

My husband used to push me around in a wheelchair...but now with kids, that's much harder. It's also nice having the ECV...our last trip, dh and ds3 went back to the hotel for naps several times. So...ds5 and I got to go ourselves on rides. It was alot of fun. THough I wouldn't have been able to using a regular wheelchair. It also made it so I could go and be the Fastpass runner - I would just zip over to DCA and pick up FP then go back to DL and they would be finishing a snack and/or going to the bathroom. It worked really really well for us. Dh used to do the FP running, but it would wear him out - I don't get worn out doing it lol.

For an ECV we paid about $290 for 10 days. I'll try to see which company we used...we really liked them too.

ETA: We went through Deckert Surgical...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter