Disneyland Hotels in January

Jaffa

Mouseketeer
Hi all
Been awhile but I have a question....

Seems like the Grand Californian is the most expensive hotel in the DL hotel chain.

but if you had to choose between the Disneyland hotel vs Paradise Pier which would you choose and why?

what are your pros and cons to each.

I might be able to put together a family trip in Jan. 2012 so I need advice - I'm more of a WDW guy. so I don't know much about DL.

Does DL offer many "deals" as WDW does?

Thanks in advance.
Jaffa

we went to disneyland January 2011, MLK weekend, and believe it or not with the deal we got the Grand was cheaper than Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier, so that is where we stayed. I reserved the room in November. keep your eye out. we are looking for deals again for 2012 too.

The Dobies would choose the Paradise Pier over DLH in January in a heartbeat.

PPH pros:

1. Closer to parks (cross street, walk through GCH, and you are there.)
2. Usually less expensive.
3. Rooms are bigger.
4. Great view of fireworks from pool deck--with chairs!!!! And they pipe in the music.

PPH cons:

1. Pool area. There is a small rectangular pool and a cool slide, and a pool bar, but it is not close to the themed DLH pool area.
2. Fewer hotel options for meals.

I have stayed at all 3 DLR hotels. I liked all of them for different reasons. Out of PP or DLH, as far as location, we preferred PP. I don't have the exact technical data of how many steps from point A to point B that I know is out there somewhere, but to us it most definitely seemed like we got to the parks faster from PP by crossing the street out front and going through the GC versus going all the way through DTD from the DLH. As far as overall feel and theming, while we enjoyed PP, DLH just seemed more magical, more of a classic Disney feel to us. There is a hallway that is filled with DL memorabilia, I could have spent hours looking at it all. The room was huge with magical little touches, and this was even before the refurbishment. I like the look of the new rooms even more! If you get a view room at PP, there are some great views of DCA from there. We didn't have that, we had a concierge pool room, our slider went right out to the pool area so no real view from the room.

This is purely personal preference, but if I had my choice of any of the 3 DLR hotels, I think I would probably choose DLH just because I like the look of the rooms the best.

Enjoy planning your trip!

We loved GCH for it's close proximity to DTD, as well as the ease of being so close to security and the park entrances. We had booked accommodation elsewhere for our January trip this year, but were actively on the lookout for deals, and jumped on the winter deals as soon as they were advertised right at the end of November. We stayed 7 nights and paid $1910.61 (including tax). (This doesn't include the extra night we tacked onto the front of our trip, as our flights were messed up and we came a day early!). The cost of the same dates right now is $2954.25 (including tax), so the saving was around 35% - a bargain for us, seeing as were travelling so far anyway!

The rooms were small, but the atmosphere magnificent, and the cast members were so helpful!

LOVE the Disneyland Hotel. We stayed there last January and it was fantastic. It's closer than PP if you are in the right tower (we were in Dreams which is now Adventure). I did the walk from both hotels, so I know, but it wasn't a huge amount closer. The biggest perk distance wise in my mind is that from PP you have to walk across a semi-busy road to cut through the grand. With DLH the only road crossing is a small road with pretty much no traffic and right through DTD. It's also closer to the monorail.

As far as the hotel itself, the light up headboards are totally magical. It was my children's favorite part. They would wake up every morning, crawl across the bed, and hit the switch the light up the headboard and they would have the biggest grin on their faces. It was truly magical. I also really liked the over all "disney" feel to the hotel, and I didn't feel like the PP had that. The pool at DLH is also better, and all of it should be done by January.

We loved GCH for it's close proximity to DTD, as well as the ease of being so close to security and the park entrances. We had booked accommodation elsewhere for our January trip this year, but were actively on the lookout for deals, and jumped on the winter deals as soon as they were advertised right at the end of November. We stayed 7 nights and paid $1910.61 (including tax). (This doesn't include the extra night we tacked onto the front of our trip, as our flights were messed up and we came a day early!). The cost of the same dates right now is $2954.25 (including tax), so the saving was around 35% - a bargain for us, seeing as were travelling so far anyway!

The rooms were small, but the atmosphere magnificent, and the cast members were so helpful!

That is a great rate! Right now when I go to the disneyland.com website and price out rooms, a standard room at PP for the end of Feb is $290 a night before tax, you paid about $273 a night for GC including tax! I hope the winter deals are as good this year!

I know that it is all subjective, but does anyone know what a good rate would be for the three hotels during mid-late January? I've experimented and put in a five night stay at PPH in the last week of January and it came out to be over $1700!!! Which seems a lot considering the low season factor...

I know that it is all subjective, but does anyone know what a good rate would be for the three hotels during mid-late January? I've experimented and put in a five night stay at PPH in the last week of January and it came out to be over $1700!!! Which seems a lot considering the low season factor...

Specials should come out sometime after Thanksgiving. Last year I think we got 35% off (or maybe it was 25%). Whatever it was it was more than the AP discount.

Cool - I'll wait til after January.

If I get emails from WDW for specials and Pin codes will I get them from DL too?

We paid $231 (Canadian) / night including taxes the first week of February for GCH. I booked right after Christmas. We are going at the end of August and staying at PPH this time. Can't wait to be there! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter