Disneyland Hotel vs Paradise Pier?

Mintycake

DIS Veteran
Hi there
Headed to DL the first week of December and deciding on which hotel to stay at (me, DH and DD age 7). We can get a Premium View at Paradise pier for $74 less for our 6 night stay than a standard room at Disneyland hotel. I like the look of both hotels and while I'm partial to DL hotel (it is the original!) I'm tempted by the premium view at PPH - can you actually see WOC from the room? This is our first trip to DL.

Thanks!

You can see WOC, but the orientation isn't right for proper viewing of the projections. It will just be light and fountains. I'd stay at the DLH.

Depends in what you value in your room stay. PPH Premium View has hands down the BEST park view of all the resort hotel park view categories IMO. Going to bed with the window open with a view of Cars Land lit up all night and overlooking Paradise Bay is pretty dang cool as you can see above...but it is a a few min more of a walk to the parks.

DLH on the other hand has substantially more Disney theming and little touches in the room IMO and is a bit closer being right at the end of DTD.

For that price it is a toss up depending on what you will enjoy most....view out the window?...choose the PPH Premium View...want full Disney immersion and a cool Disney touches in the room with closer proximity?...then DLH.

One other thing...I heard that the rooms at DLH do not have balconies. We love sitting on a balcony (especially after our DD is in bed) so we can talk without disturbing her...is this true and does PPH have balconies? would we be able to see that from the balcony? I'm pretty tempted now to book PPH (also my DD LOVES STITCH so the surfs up breakfast is on our list).

Is it that much further of a walk to the parks?

One other thing...I heard that the rooms at DLH do not have balconies. We love sitting on a balcony (especially after our DD is in bed) so we can talk without disturbing her...is this true and does PPH have balconies? would we be able to see that from the balcony? I'm pretty tempted now to book PPH (also my DD LOVES STITCH so the surfs up breakfast is on our list).

No balconies at PPH.

The previous poster is correct that the orientation for proper viewing isn't right it's still an amazing view!! We watched WOC from our first night (all day traveling from CT) and it was a great way to start our vacation. They pipe the music onto one of TV stations. We did see WOC a couple nights later in DCA for the full view. The pics below aren't good quality from my phone (my son took some good ones on our good camera) it gives you an idea.

IMG_2561.JPG

Picture below is just at night not during WOC.

IMG_2560.JPG

During the day.
IMG_2562.JPG

The walk is only 15 ish minutes.

PPH is literally on a few min over DLH. 15 min is a VERY conservative estimate for an able bodied person IMO assuming no elevator or security line delays...we are closer to 8-10 min tops at a good pace to the gates from the PPH.

I loved out stay at DLH, but it sounds like to you the main thing here is that WOC view. Will it substitute for watching the show? Absolutely not. Seriously- Absolutely Not. The projections will not show. You will see views of colorful water that are pretty in themselves. Now if I had kids who had to go to bed early I'd love being able to see that from my room. If you're interested in that the go PPH, if WOC without the projections is not of interest to you enjoy DLH! (Personally in your shoes I would look at videos on YouTube of the show from the hotel, that way you know what you're getting.)

I loved out stay at DLH, but it sounds like to you the main thing here is that WOC view. Will it substitute for watching the show? Absolutely not. Seriously- Absolutely Not. The projections will not show. You will see views of colorful water that are pretty in themselves. Now if I had kids who had to go to bed early I'd love being able to see that from my room. If you're interested in that the go PPH, if WOC without the projections is not of interest to you enjoy DLH! (Personally in your shoes I would look at videos on YouTube of the show from the hotel, that way you know what you're getting.)
That's a great Idea!!! We're coming from the East coast so I'm thinkng my daughter will conk out around 8pm or so, at least at the front end of our trip. Then again, we may as well!

That's a great Idea!!! We're coming from the East coast so I'm thinkng my daughter will conk out around 8pm or so, at least at the front end of our trip. Then again, we may as well!
Then bank your savings + your extra enjoyment! Don't get to do that very often in life! #DisneyMagic
ETA: ROFL... #NotTheCruiseShip

I liked DLH MUCH better before they worsened it all with the remodel. But it still has the most Disney charm/feel of any of the 3 IMO.

I had a premium view at PPH when I had a child who fell asleep early and I was able to see WOC and some of the fireworks from inside my room while I waited for my room service to arrive. It's a nice room if you think you'll be stuck in it with a sleeping child.

For a 6 night stay I vote DLH. We often stay at PPH in the theme park view rooms. We love the view BUT if the price is close we'd choose DLH!

I like both very much and have stayed at both 3-4X. I am a sucker for that Premium view though. I just love staring at those Carsland mountains, in addition to (mostly) seeing WoC. Next trip I am booking PP Premium, Club.

I WILL say that I am very sad to lose the ability to cross street in front of PP, and enter DCA or DD thru the GC lobby. I always cut through there (you still can when returning to PP). I even would dash over there to grab food at GC, now that is a hassle, and not really worth the trouble.

Just throwing this it there. Consider pph standard view club level and request a cabana room. That really gets you the best of all worlds. You get a patio that you can sit on that opens to the pool and I think you can watch WOC from the pool deck. Also you get the concierge lounge which really covers breakfast and drinks at the very least. That's way better than standard at dlh

Just throwing this it there. Consider pph standard view club level and request a cabana room. That really gets you the best of all worlds. You get a patio that you can sit on that opens to the pool and I think you can watch WOC from the pool deck. Also you get the concierge lounge which really covers breakfast and drinks at the very least. That's way better than standard at dlh
I think with the discount we get its whatever is offered but I might look into it

I think with the discount we get its whatever is offered but I might look into it

I think the only way you'll see WOC from PPH is in a view room.
The Pool Deck Patio has chairs and the music for fireworks viewing. It's at the north end of the patio.

Paradise Pier Hotel is pretty reasonable for the price and the theming is cute.

You are also super close to the amazing Tiki Bar.

Walk is about 10 min to park. Not bad at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter