• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Hotel Disability Question

SpiritedHaunts

Mouseketeer
I know some here have been to DL as well and I am looking for some advice.

We may be looking at a 'bucket list' trip to DL this year. So far we have had to cancel/move our WDW trip due to this mysterious illness.

There is a lot of pain at random times, foot and hand contortions and temporary freezing. This can happen while relaxing or after simple things like hanging up laundry.

The last 'excercise' experiment, walking for 10 mins resulted in the inability to walk for a week after. Nothing 'wrong' can be found.

So, my question is would it be a good idea to spend more and stay onsite at DL? Which of the three hotels would you recommend? Any big need for a concierge level?

We are headed to San Antonio for a get away - see if we can travel unassisted test run- this week.

Any ideas about making this possible trip more pain friendly are welcomed.

DL is not spread out like WDW. You can find off site hotels across the street! No need to stay onsite if the reason for an onsite hotel is distance from the parks.

offsite is way more trouble than it is worth unless you snag one of the three or four directly across the street from the gates.

the shuttle system costs money and you share with as many as 7 or 8 other properties.

GC is out of my price range but I like DL hotel over PP but I really cannot tell you 'why'

since they are so small, I tend to go for 3-4 days.. 1 day at each park, taking my time. the other day(s) I revisit anything I missed earlier

offsite is way more trouble than it is worth unless you snag one of the three or four directly across the street from the gates.

the shuttle system costs money and you share with as many as 7 or 8 other properties.

GC is out of my price range but I like DL hotel over PP but I really cannot tell you 'why'

since they are so small, I tend to go for 3-4 days.. 1 day at each park, taking my time. the other day(s) I revisit anything I missed earlier

http://hotelguides.com/california/map-disneyland-anaheim-ca-hotels.html

There is an entrance to California Adventure inside the Grand Californian Hotel. If you have a park hopper, which I would recommend in California, the entrance to Disneyland is about 100 yards from the entrance to California Adventure.

Then again, the entrance to Disneyland is maybe three hundred yards from the back entrance to the Grand Californian.

Going back and forth between parks, or even hotels, is not that big of a deal. But the Grand Californian is especially easy to get to from the parks.

I think that this is a case where I would strongly recommend staying offsite at one of the hotels that offers free shuttles instead.

They will let you off closer to the entrances (particularly for Disneyland) than the onsite hotels are.

Just do not go to one of the hotels that has paid shuttles, as these will be provided by ART, which aside from the shuttles for the toy story lots has some of the rudest drivers I have ever seen.

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel last year. I need a rollator & a scooter. I also need a handicapped shower.

The personnel at the Disneyland Hotel were soooooo nice & were constantly asking us if we needed anything etc. it was a great experience.

The walk through Downtown Disney was rather short - not even close to the FL one. When you get to the DL entrance - you are also at the Calif Adventure entrance. Both parks are nowhere near as spread out as in FL.

Enjoy your trip. I can't wait to return to CA again someday! :goodvibes

I don't see how onsite is better than one of the hotels that are directly across the street from a mobility perspective. We had a wheelchair and stayed across the street. With the wheelchair, it's very easy to get to and from the parks. In fact, from what I've seen the distance from the entrance of our hotel to the entrances of the parks was shorter than the distance between Disneyland Hotel and the park entrances. DTD was obviously closer to DLH but the parks are closer to the few good neighbour hotels that are across the street

If 10 minutes walking knocked you on your butt for a week then you'll need a mobility device either way. Make your decision based on resort amenities and cost to figure out what resort best meets your needs, not distance. That being said, if you're sold on staying at one of the DL resorts then as I said, DLH is a lot farther to the park entrances than the others and PP isn't a lot closer. If you're deciding based on distance then GC is the way to go, assuming price is no object.

I cannot go "fast" anywhere - even on a scooter! Crossing the street to the good neighbor hotels is a challenge for me.

I am sure that these hotels are beautiful, & that they offer wonderful amenities - but I personally cannot rush.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Thanks for all the help. We have an in, aka cheaper price possibility, at the Starwood properties. So if we were off site it would be at one of those three.

I think only one has it's own dedicated shuttle...so, unless my non diver companion can muster up the courage to drive we might have to pay more for what we call 'peace of mind insurance'.

If this 'might happen' trip is the only bucket list item, aside, from going back to Europe, we could probably swing around a few thousand to be in a good place where we can take it slow and not have scheduals to contend with.

Any more advice is welcomed.

The Sheraton Anaheim Hotel has a dedicated shuttle. Waiting 30 minutes for the shuttle isn't a huge deal breaker for me, though if you do the parks until ready to drop it might be an issue. There is a taxi stand on that side of the esplanade if you decide you absolutely can't wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter