Disneyland Hotel: 2 connecting rooms or 1-bedroom suite? (LONG)

Mom2five

Earning My Ears
I could really use some advice!!! (LONG)

I have to put a deposit on one of our reservations for the Disneyland hotel, and I still don't know what's the best choice out of the options I have available. My husband and I want to visit with our 5 children (7, 5, 2, and 12-month-old twins) during either September or October. Originally, we planned to stay during the week, and checkout on Saturday morning. But that was before I found out that there aren't any Friday Fantasmic shows scheduled. :sad2: We've never visited Disneyland before and, given the expense, I don't know how long it will be before we can come again. I would really like us to see Fantasmic on this trip. So I started trying to get new reservations and have ended up with more than one, none of which is exactly what I want.

My original 1st choice for room type was a 1-bedroom suite. (Although this room is typically described as allowing a maximum of 6 guests, it turns out you can register up to 6 adults/children PLUS an infant, so we're o.k.) I was able to get a package for a 1-bedroom suite towards the end of September, but if we wanted to see Fantasmic it would have to be on the night we arrive (after an ~8-hour drive). We would have to pay for an extra day on each of our park hoppers, because we weren't originally planning on going into the park(s) until the next morning. And, of course, Mickey's Halloween Treat (which we had also hoped to do) isn't available until October (sigh).

We also have a courtesy hold on two separate (hopefully connecting) standard "view" rooms in October. We would be able to see Fantasmic, and do MHT, but I'm under the impression that the park will be more crowded than the end of September, particularly since our visit would now include Sat & Sun. But my main concern is the fact that they won't GUARANTEE that we get two connecting rooms. And, there's no way my kids are going to want to split up. So, potentially, we could end up paying for a room that we don't use, while we all end up crowding into a single standard room :eek:. Even if we do get the two connecting rooms, I am under the impression that a 1-bedroom suite would be nicer. But, never having seen either, I'm not sure if that's true. Any opinions?

For those of you who are still with me (THANK YOU!!!), I have two more concerns. A friend of ours is planning to come down at the same time, driving her own car. She knows someone she can stay with who lives relatively close to Disneyland, so she doesn't want to stay in the hotel with us. (Given how many kids we have, I don't blame her.) Originally she was just going to buy her park hopper pass separately, but I've realized that wouldn't allow her to join us for Mickey's Toontown Madness, the four shows for which we will get priority seating, and any additional days that we get EE because we are staying at the Disneyland Hotel. If we keep the reservation with two connecting rooms, I can simply add her name to the reservation, so she gets the package extras too. My dilemma is what to do if we decide to keep the reservation for the 1-bedroom suite. I could put her name on the reservation and omit my 2-year-old (who doesn't require a pass), but I'm concerned about possible repercussions. For example, when we show our hotel slip to gain early entry, does the slip show how many guests are registered or their names? Would we possibly be denied early entry if my 2-year-old wasn't listed? :confused3 Stuff like that...

Finally, one customer service representative suggested we bring the birth certificate for my 2-year-old with us each day. She's not particularly tall, and the ONLY reason anyone might question that she's only two would be the fact that she's fairly verbal. I'm not terribly comfortable with carrying around her birth certificate, and I've never needed to anywhere else. Has anyone ever been asked for proof of age for their children?

Thank you, Thank you for anyone who takes the time to reply with their input! :cheer2:

I can't give you any advice on the hotel because it's been years since we stayed there. But I can give some advice on i.d. for your 2 year old. We took our girls for the first time when they were 2.5 and 1 and then again when they were almost 3 and 1.5. We weren't once asked for i.d. for my older one, even though she too is quite verbal. If you're not comfortable carrying her birth certificate around (which I completely) understand, what about her immunization card? We've had this recommended to us by airlines in regards to my youngest not needing her own seat yet. I don't think you'll be asked to be honest though.

Have a fun trip!

We have requested connecting rooms many times and have NEVER had a problem. We have also had a one bedroom suite before, and I can't say that I have a huge preference either way. The nice thing with the 1br suite is you have a living room for lounging and watching tv, etc. We have been in 1br suites that have had one bathroom and ones that had 2 bathrooms. That is something to consider, you will have 2 bathrooms with connecting rooms. Like I said, we really don't have a huge preference either way, I would go for the less expensive, probably the 2 rooms?

Regarding EE- they've never counted off the number in our group so I wouldn't sweat that.

Also, we have been bringing our kids to disneyland since they were babies and have NEVER had anyone question their ages. We've never brought any sort of documentation.

Side Note- We are going to be in DL the first week of Oct (Wed- Sun). It is usually a great time to go, not terribly crowded. We get to do MHT and Fantasmic. We do DL Wed, Thur, and part of Fri and DCA Fri and Sat (to avoid the larger weekend crowds at DL)

Good luck with your plans! :wizard:

Thanks for the feedback! :flower3:

It's good to get some reassurance - I'll try not to worry about not getting connecting rooms or EE for my 2-year (if she isn't registered). And, I like the idea of bringing her immunization record, just in case. I never would have thought of that. :thumbsup2

I still haven't competely decided. As far as the room type goes, I THINK I would prefer the 1-bedroom suite, if only because of the sitting area. But, then again, 2 bathrooms might be useful...

Oddly enough, the two connecting rooms would actually be MORE expensive, because by the time I called, they only had "view" rooms left for the 4th night free promotion. Even with the extra day on the park hopper passes for the 1-bedroom suite reservation (10 X 5 = $50), the 2 connecting rooms would still be $92.00 more overall. Add to that the $150 for MHT (since that would be one of the reasons for me to choose the October reservation over the September one), and I would essentially be paying $242.00 MORE to do MHT, and avoid having to see Fantasmic on the night that we arrive. Hmmm... :scratchin

So WDYT? Is MHT (and not having Fantasmic fall on the heels of an ~7-hour drive) worth $242.00? We're not poor, but we're not "never check the pricetag" kind of people either.

But, hey, one way or another, we're going to Disneyland :yay: :yay: :yay:

We have taken our little girl (turning 3 in October) to DL many times. She's extremely verbal, very large for her age (bigger than most 3 or 4 year olds) and we've NEVER had anyone question us. That includes a trip in October for her turning 2, a trip in February and another in April. No, you don't need a birth certificate and I've never travelled with one for ours - and never has an airline asked me to see hers either. Never would I bring that along and risk losing it.

The room - I'd go with the suite myself. BUT, whichever was less expensive - what I would do if I went with the connecting room thing was to CALL Disney after your reservation and let them know you're there with kids and making this reservation with a room that ONLY kids will be in - can't leave them alone due to safety reasons and Disney is well aware of that and will want to ensure you have connecting rooms. I would NOT be concerned about them being so busy in October that they can't accommodate that - we've never had problems.

As far as Fantasmic and the other shows - our little one STILL has no interest in sitting through those shows and can't sit still that long. So, with a 2 year old and 2 one year olds - don't sweat that, you may want to move along and catch other things that fit your life better right now.

BTW - your friend can also purchase her ticket only package directly through WDTC and get all the perks that you have, you don't have to do it for her or change your reservations, etc.

Thanks for the further reassurance on the (lack of) need for a birth certificate. I have to admit, when the Disney CSR first recommended bringing one, my initial reaction was "huh - seriously?".

As for my 2-year-old being a little young for Fantasmic, up until very recently, I would have agreed with you. But over the summer we've tried taking her (along with my older kids) to the Circus, the movies, puppet shows, magic shows, 4th of July fireworks, etc. and she has absolutely amazed me. She has an unbelievable attention span for her age - way better than my older children were. So, she might fall ASLEEP waiting for the show (particularly after a long day in the park or a long day driving), but I'm actually not worried about losing her attention during the show. The babies - well, I'm kind of hoping they both fall asleep, and stay that way ;) . My friend has offered to stay in the hotel room with the babies while the rest of us watch Fantasmic, but I've already told her no.

And I'm guessing that I would prefer the suite too but, never having seen either, I don't know how much weight to give that. Now, if the suite had a microwave, that would make all the difference ;)

Oops! ShawnaF - I forgot to ask about the last part of your post. I was under the impression that when you purchased a package (hotel and tickets) through Disney Travel (or AAA), that the extras that came with it could be obtained no other way. It currently comes with the 4th night free (if available), priority seating for 4 of the DCA shows, a discount card (~10% off in most of the DTD restaurants/shops), vouchers for Mickey's Toontown Madness, and misc. lanyards, pins, coins, etc. I thought the MTM sounded like fun for my kids, and I specifically asked at both Disney Travel and Central Reservations (hotel and park hopper passes only), whether it was available outside of a package and was told no. Was I given the wrong information? Is it possible to purchase a "ticket package" without an accompanying hotel reservation? Or perhaps an Annual Pass gives you some perks???

:offtopic: I find it frustrating that when you call, the customer service reps, despite being very pleasant, don't seem to volunteer ANY pertinent information. It seems like unless I know enough to ask a SPECIFIC question, I don't get the information I need :( .

I'd pick the 2 rooms over the suite! As long as you are not a late check-in and you have it noted on your reservations as a "request" that you need connecting rooms, chances are very very good that your request will be granted.

The suites are nice and do seem roomy BUT our sofa bed was horrible. It was okay for the kids but no way could the adults sleep there. Then, because the kids slept there, you lose the seating area to stay up later than the kiddies anyway. There was a sofa, 2 chairs, a small table, armoire with tv and a plant-that was it so there was a lot of wasted space in that area. The bedroom was the standard 2Q, daybed room set up and the bathroom was really nice because it had a tub and a shower and there was also a 1/2 bath off the livingroom area. Our suite overlooked the pool but I prefer the DTD view.

We like to get the room with 2Q and the daybed and then call housekeeping for the free rollaway, usually there is a portacrib already in the closet. So with the 2 rooms, you could "technically" have 4 queen beds, 2 daybeds, 2 rollaways and 2 cribs! But most importantly, TWO full bathrooms guaranteed-lol! (Not that is would be comfortable but you would not be the first family to break the firemarshall's law and stay in ONE room....just don't all go to the check-in together and NO, they will not insist on seeing your childs birth cert but if you feel better, just carry a copy with you. I have NEVER know anyone to have trouble at the gate!)

The ticket package - YES, Disney Travel absolutely will sell you a park hopper only (with all the perks and NO hotel reservations. Done it many times actually. I can't remember the name of the package - it's call something Plus - maybe Hopper Plus? Anyway, same price as purchasing the park hopper direct through Disney when I called to get one a couple weeks ago. Now, I called Disney direct initially (714-956-Mickey) and told them the situation and asked the best way to get a 6-day park hopper. Because of the WDTC special right now, they said to call there and get this package.

I agree though, not all the customer service reps are extremely informed and not all are willing to do the work and look it up for you. I'm one of the annoying people who will call and call and call - and I also call supervisors for the especially good and especially bad. It's easier to deal with me and get me taken care of than to get me off the phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter