• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland for Christmas

mAlien13

Down with Disney
Hello, everyone. :goodvibes I've started a couple of other threads but they don't seem to be getting a response, so I thought I'd start fresh.

My family and I took a vote and decided that we would rather go to DLR again than to have a traditional Christmas. I've always heard that Xmas Mickey style is amazing, but I'm very unfamiliar with the ins and outs of it, since I normally only go during early spring or late fall. I am hoping to just sort of open up a discussion on the topic, where anyone who has anything to say about DLR holiday will join in. I have a couple of specific questions (below), but am mostly looking for general info.

1. When does the crowd go from really slow to really busy in December?

2. What is the special event that is part of Christmas and do you purchase seperate tickets? If so, is the event worth it?

3. What are some of the things that are special about being in DLR at Xmas time?

Thanks everyone. I received so much help form this board before our April trip, I am looking forward to spending time here once again as I plan. :thumbsup2

1. It goes to really busy when schools let out for winter break (the week between Christmas and New Years is absolute chaos, and the week before Christmas gets gradually busier). Last year, the whole month was crazy, but I think that had as much to do with the 50th as anything else.

2. No hard ticket events have been annouced as of right now (nor has anyone I know who works there hinted at anything). They will have the Christmas Parade and from what I've heard Santa's Reindeer Round-up should be returning.

3. The decorations, Christmas Carolers, special Christmas editions of some of the shows, characters in their winter-wear, DL's cider (it's yummy stuff).

I just thought of 2 more questions:

Are the NBC decorations up at the Haunted Mansion all through December?

What is the weather in DLR usually like in December? Warm enough to ride the water rides?

Thanks again everyone.

mAlien13 said:
What is the weather in DLR usually like in December? Warm enough to ride the water rides?

I went to Disneyland over Christmas break two years ago. I lucked out. Both of the days I attended it felt like it was summer. The crowds made it miserable, but I still enjoyed myself a little, but not nearly as much as I do in the summer time. The water rides were all open when I was there. I haven't known Disneyland to shut down water rides because of weather, but I could be wrong.

We're going right before Christmas and on an earlier post I read that they lower the water level in water rides so folks don't get as wet as in warm months. I don't know if it's true but sounds logical to me. I figure we can run back to the hotel to change if we get drenched on Grizzly. I know the weather can change quite a bit so we're planning on "layering" like we did at Thanksgiving time a few years ago. Ca't wait to hear what DL and DCA have on for Christmas this year....

Yes, the NBC decorations stay up all through the month, and into January.

The Reindeer Round-up is an area at Big Thunder Ranch where Santa and Mrs. Claus are available for pictures. They also have live music and other shows, real reindeer and cookie decorating. Disney characters like Pluto, Chip & Dale, and Clara Cluck were out playing with the kids (and the adults) and taking pictures and signing autographs.

December weather can vary.

I would hope they are going to have a Christmas parade, that is the reson why I am going to be on there for Christmas :sunny:

I was there over new years for my honeymoon...oh my goodness...five years ago now...and it was such a magical time! The lights and the "snow" from the fireworks were amazing. It was a bit chilly and wet while we were there, but since we are from washington state it wasn't a big deal to us. I do have some pictures of my hubby without his jacket on so it couldn't have been too chilly. I absolutely loved taking the train around the park after dark and just watching all the lights and the different entertainment happening. It is one of my best memories ever! I also loved the shopping!
Sarah
P.S. I will be there this new years as well for my ds's first disney experience. He will be 19 months old!

Weather in December can be anywhere from highs in the low 50s to highs in the 80s, but it's usually high-60s/low-70s. Nighttime lows are usually mid-40s/low-50s. It CAN rain in December, but we don't usually get several days in a row of rain - usually only a few hours, and then it moves through. If you do happen to be there on a rainy day, though, you really luck out, because most of the locals hate rain, and stay away. :-)

The Christmas parade at Disneyland is very cute and fun.

Laura

Thank you Thank You Thank you!!! Reading all the info here has us really jazzed about going in December!! :cool1:

To tell you the truth, I would ride the water rides even if it was 50 degrees...it's my disney family that get squeamish if it's cold...lol

We are still debating on whether to go the week of 12/17 to 12/22 or 12/10 to 12/15. Anyone have pro's or con's for either?

The first 2 weeks of December are usually (I say usually because last year threw conventional wisdom about crowd patterns out the window) less crowded than the rest of the month.

Okay--this thread is making me cry. We surprised our kids with a trip to DL last Christmas--we were there something like the 17th-22nd. Crowds were manageable when we first arrived, but pretty thick by the time we left. We swam at the DLH pool (lovely resort and great pool!)--definitely warm enough. We did wear ponchos for Kali--we got drenched!
The snow on Main Street after the fireworks--heavenly. The Christmas decorations on it's a small world--well, the only way I can stomach that ride now! They were great! And I loved HM with NBC decorations--although kids didn't (they have never seen the movie.)
It was a truly special time of the year--I highly recommend anyone who can--go to Disneyland at least once during Christmas.
I really want to go back there now after reading this thread. Hmm--how can I pull that off? :goodvibes

I'll back up everyone's assertions that the decorations are incredible. The tree at the beginning of Main St. is huge, it snows after the parade, and everything is gorgeous. If you can go on New Year's Eve, it is the most amazing party ever. We don't drink, so we love being in a big crowd with others who are not drinking but are ringing in the New Year. They usually do have extended hours the weeks before and after Christmas, but you can probably get more done in the week of the 10th-15 because of the reduced crowds.

Haven't read everything yet, so here's my .02:

1. When does the crowd go from really slow to really busy in December? When school vacations let out- usually around the 22nd or so it picks up big time.

2. What is the special event that is part of Christmas and do you purchase seperate tickets? If so, is the event worth it? There isn't a special event for Christmas at DL or DCA.

3. What are some of the things that are special about being in DLR at Xmas time? For me, just the amazing atmosphere- the giant Christmas tree, decorations, carolers, etc.. I love Christmas AND Disney, so it's perfect for me. Also, the Santas in DL and DCA are the only ones my kids will sit with :) They look like Santa for REAL!! (not some lame mall Santa)

Getting more and more excited every minute. The only concern I have is that if we go the within the first couple of weeks in December will all this awesome stuff everyone is talking about be available? Does the xmas parade run everyday in Dec or only on weekends? How about the fireworks/snow on Main St? That sounds way too cool to miss.

I can't swear to it, but I think it all starts Thanksgiving weekend. So all of December is festive and lovely.

Oops, I forgot to add, I think they might not have NBC at the HM this year. That is what a CM told my daughter and me last Feb. Again, I can't guarantee that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter