Disneyland Cast Members

Actually, I'm always shocked about how rude the guests are. On our two trips, we definitely found more pleasant CMs than unpleasant but each trip we remember ones that stood out on both sides. I can't imagine the level of patience a CM must display (fake) every day all day. Some guests at Disney can be so rude, unpleasant, and blatantly disobeying simple rules and safety regulations. I think it's shocking there aren't more rude CMs than there actually are. There was one CM our first trip that was so miserable and she seemed to hop from one ride to another so we ran into her scowling face all day. I tried to make her smile by being pleasant but she was not going to crack. It did get a bit annoying but we just chalked it up to a bad day. Mostly though, we've had great experiences all around and marvel at their ability to smile through the inevitable frustration of dealing with disrespectful people all day. Kudos to them!

Actually, we've seen more rude guests, then CMs.
But this last visit we had to chuckle, because we were in the line on main street to see Donald. He's YDDs favorite character. She'd had a wonderful experience with Donald at the ranch last visit, and she was really excited to see him again.
It was super hot, and DD didn't really know how Donald wanted us to hand him the pen, he kind of yanked it out of DDs hand (she's three). It was startling how he was so abrupt toward us.
I reminded DD that he can be cantankerous, and we chuckled, as we found it entertaining, but deep down, I could sense that Donald was about ready to be back inside the gates.

There were a lot of irritable CMs on the rides trying to organize groups, but understandably, it was a really hot week when we were there.

I can say, that we were taken aback by some of the guests. Mostly just borderline rude, but many people vocally saying mean comments to others, pushing even kids to get through the crowds, pulling-up in front of others who were waiting a very long time for a parade, or show, jumping the lines. It was eye-opening.

Of course that was not the majority of guests, and it was not enough to ruin our trip by any means, and we were able to benefit from some SERIOUS magic on our trip. So we had a great time despite a few misbehaved folks.
So I can see why the CMs might not be so magical all day, everyday.

I am an AP holder and am in the DL/DCA parks at least once a month, oftentimes more than that. I can say with absolute certainty that the CM’s enthusiasm and Disney spirit are often a direct result of how they are being treated.

The CM’s deal with cranky, tired, over-bearing and over-demanding guests and their tired children day in and day out. It can be a somewhat thankless job, and I think people often forget they are human and have off days. I’m not saying anyone complaining here is treating them poorly, but I think they get overlooked as part of the scenery, so-to-speak.

I always go out of my way to be pleasant to the CM’s…ALL of them. Even the one who simply sells me a churro. I find that smiling and greeting them with a “Hi, how are you?” immediately puts them in a better frame of mind. A lot of people don't even think to ask. I also be sure to say thank you when they are helpful, etc. If I'm in a slow-moving line, I'll strike up a conversation with them.

Even if they seem to be somewhat cranky, treating them well turns it around immediately and I get the magic back ten-fold.

Just a different perspective. ;)

As someone who works directly with customers, I know exactly how thankless a job it can be. I do get thanked once in a blue moon by a customer after their transaction, but it's few and far between. I believe the reason is because we're there being paid and many people come in with the assumption that they don't need to be the ones on their game or putting on a happy face. That's our job. We're supposed to be the robots who are always happy and helpful, and when we're not, we get chewed out for it. Yet it's perfectly fine for customers/guests to treat the employees like dirt because they've got super high expectations, have had a bad day and want to take it out on someone, are tired, are disappointed, etc.

In any case, I noticed some slightly crankier CMs at DL myself. I was there last week when the humidity was horrid for southern California. I was born and raised there, but I don't live in California anymore, and even I noticed it was much too gross at that time of year and in that location. There was also something weird going on last Thursday where the park was muuuuch more crowded near the end of the week as opposed to a Monday when it tends to attract lingering crowds from the weekend. That day was more trying for all of us, especially the CMs.

They were a bit pushier trying to get guests through the rides efficiently and quickly, and they seemed a little more irritated because of it. One girl trying to deal with one side of the Matterhorn breaking down looked incredibly irritated. She clucked her tongue and rolled her eyes when she was waving people down to the left side of the lines when they didn't realize she wanted them to follow her (she was actually waving their hand and asking them to come down to her in a polite manner, so I'm not putting that on her). Then again, they weren't really listening, but her anger was apparent.

That was the only one I could think of that stood out to me the most from this last trip, so nothing consistent or out of place or anything that made me feel like the CM quality was going downhill. The girl quite obviously knew what she was doing, but was having a hard time trying to get guests to listen to and follow her. I have sympathy for her, believe me, but you just have to realize in those positions that sometimes people need their hands to be held, and you cannot slip up no matter how irritated you are because it will get noticed and some people will make a big deal out of it. I didn't feel her behavior was unwarranted, however, so there's no point in reporting her simply doing her job. However, it did feel a small bit in that moment like they were simply doing that.

We've been lucky enough to have great CMs each time we visit Disneyland. We haven't been to WDW yet so I can't give a full comparison however. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter