Disneyland Cast Members

TXDad

Earning My Ears
Was it just our experience or are the CM's at Disneyland slightly less enthusiastic than those at Disney World? Seemed to us that they were not as eager to share the magic versus what we typically experiance at Disney World. Our boys just enjoyed their first ever trip to Disneyland after visiting Diney World annually for the past 6 years. Weather was perfect, crowds were manageable, but CM's at both parks (and hotels/shops/restaurants too) were just OK.

For some odd reason, for the past few years, I've heard that the DLR doesn't want to hire self-proclaimed Disney fans... and that they just want to hire "regular folk" :confused3 (I dunno if this policy has changed recently... or if it was just a rumor).

I've experienced very mediocre cast members at DLR as well. A lot of them just don't seem to care and treat it as another 9-to-5 job... I've also encountered some that are very aggressive. But I do always encounter at least one very magical cast member :wizard:

We had great CMs during our visit in January. Maybe they went out of the way to be nice because our DD had a broken arm and birthday button, but we got plenty of magic every day. There were plenty I would describe as "businesslike and efficient," but there were also a number who went above and beyond.

Even during the Tink half weekend, when the parks were slammed, I thought the CMs were doing an immeasurably better job than I would in the same circumstances.

It wasn't just your experience. We've seen it on our two trips over the last 7 years. My wife noticed this back in 2006 when she overheard a pin cart CM complaining to another cart CM that she was mad at management for putting her here with a bad back. No one, outside of a chance Cinderella encounter, really brought much magic to the vacation that time.

Then we went last November. I kid you not, I counted 8 different times in 4 days where I heard another CM talking to another about "being off in X minutes". I even saw Goofy look at a CM and point to his wrist - the CM said "two more minutes", and then Goofy just took off. I've NEVER seen a character do that in 7 trips and 50+days at WDW, and I've never heard a CM there talk about when their shift is over. Have there been grouchy CMs at WDW? Yes, especially at Port Orleans FQ. But DL seems to be distancing them like Secretariat. I keep reading on sites like this how DL regulars think the opposite of me and you, that DL has better CMs, but I haven't seen it in two trips. I guess I'll be a little wiser after this next year of having an AP.

That said, they're still better than Six Flags employees. I just expect better when I do Disney. I guess living inside the magic at WDW spoiled me. For the most part, they just seemed to go above and beyond A LOT.

I haven't encountered anything but great CMs at Disneyland. However, they are people and I am sure everyone has had a bad day here and there. And i am sure there are grumpy CMs that are out there too that we have not encountered. I had a run in at DCA with noticeably grumpy and rude CMs. It stinks for the guests! We pay a lot of money for the experience. I dont expect people to sing and dance (unless thats their job! ) and spread unbelievable amounts of magic, but I do expect for CMs to be friendly and approachable. And to have knowledge of their job, the park, whatever it may be that they represent.
To all who have had a bad CM experience, I'm sorry it happened to you! Dont let it ruin your fun!

Was it just our experience or are the CM's at Disneyland slightly less enthusiastic than those at Disney World? Seemed to us that they were not as eager to share the magic versus what we typically experiance at Disney World. Our boys just enjoyed their first ever trip to Disneyland after visiting Diney World annually for the past 6 years. Weather was perfect, crowds were manageable, but CM's at both parks (and hotels/shops/restaurants too) were just OK.

I can offer four responses:

First, DLR CMs are far less in-your-face about making sure you "have a magical day" than WDW CMs because most DLR guests and CMs are locals who grew up with the park. So DLR CMs tend to be more laid back and wry, as if the experience of visiting DLR is an inside joke shared by those who grew up doing so;

Second, this August (at least) SoCal has been having a weird humidity wave that seemed to have everyone (locals and CMs) on edge when we visited last week. I confirmed this with a few CMs who groused about how much drier and more comfortable the weather should be this time of year. (We were shocked by the humidity, too, by the way);

Third, it's the end of a long and difficult (for the CMs) peak summer season, so their enthusiasm is also probably a bit dampened because of that, which is natural; And

Fourth, all of that said, we actually feel as you do and think you're on to something. There seems to be a lack of magic/enthusiasm/investment (call it what you will) among park and hotel CMs. We've watched it wane from last March (2013), through our October 2013 visit, to out visit this month. My strong suspicion is that current DLR president Michael Colglazier--who came from WDW's Animal Kingdom and was newly installed last spring--has brought unpopular east-coast policies and procedures (i.e. a deepening of the WDW-centric "One Disney" branding) that are making negative waves among CMs throughout the resort.

My four cents.

I am an AP holder and am in the DL/DCA parks at least once a month, oftentimes more than that. I can say with absolute certainty that the CM’s enthusiasm and Disney spirit are often a direct result of how they are being treated.

The CM’s deal with cranky, tired, over-bearing and over-demanding guests and their tired children day in and day out. It can be a somewhat thankless job, and I think people often forget they are human and have off days. I’m not saying anyone complaining here is treating them poorly, but I think they get overlooked as part of the scenery, so-to-speak.

I always go out of my way to be pleasant to the CM’s…ALL of them. Even the one who simply sells me a churro. I find that smiling and greeting them with a “Hi, how are you?” immediately puts them in a better frame of mind. A lot of people don't even think to ask. I also be sure to say thank you when they are helpful, etc. If I'm in a slow-moving line, I'll strike up a conversation with them.

Even if they seem to be somewhat cranky, treating them well turns it around immediately and I get the magic back ten-fold.

Just a different perspective. ;)

I am an AP holder and am in the DL/DCA parks at least once a month, oftentimes more than that. I can say with absolute certainty that the CM’s enthusiasm and Disney spirit are often a direct result of how they are being treated.

The CM’s deal with cranky, tired, over-bearing and over-demanding guests and their tired children day in and day out. It can be a somewhat thankless job, and I think people often forget they are human and have off days. I’m not saying anyone complaining here is treating them poorly, but I think they get overlooked as part of the scenery, so-to-speak.

I always go out of my way to be pleasant to the CM’s…ALL of them. Even the one who simply sells me a churro. I find that smiling and greeting them with a “Hi, how are you?” immediately puts them in a better frame of mind. A lot of people don't even think to ask. I also be sure to say thank you when they are helpful, etc. If I'm in a slow-moving line, I'll strike up a conversation with them.

Even if they seem to be somewhat cranky, treating them well turns it around immediately and I get the magic back ten-fold.

This, too. :thumbsup2

I agree with Tyggress, I'm constantly surprised by how amazingly people perk up when you treat them like human beings and genuinely ask how their day is going. For instance, I went into Home Depot to get a set of blinds. The guy behind the counter was your quintessential grumpy old man at that point. He shooed me off, was real brusque, didn't seem to want to help at all. I ended up coming back to ask another question. I asked him how is day was going, and it was crazy how he perked up, became all chatty and happy (it was his Friday, so that may have helped!). The difference was pretty drastic.

:thumbsup2 I agree. We always greet the CMs with a smile, ask how their day is going, and say please and thank you a lot.

We just got back from Disneyland last week, and we found that the CMs were wonderful. I don't think we came across anyone who was anything but cheerful and kind. In fact, last night I emailed guest relations about a completely magical moment that I witnessed between the Mad Hatter and a young girl playing musical chairs.

We can't wait to plan our next Disneyland trip! :banana:

My experiences with CMs last week was overwhelmingly positive. There were one or two that I got a little annoyed with, but overall, all the CMs with whom we interacted were friendly and many went out of their way to be helpful.

Totally agree and do the same! Even at home too.;)

I thought the same thing after our first trip to DL, but since then we have had other trips where they have been just a courteous as those at WDW. I think there may be more variability at DL, for many of the reasons already stated in this thread. Last Halloween we had a cast member go far beyond expectations to help us get a princess dress for my daughter after we had been given bad information on the closing time of some of the Main St. stores. That level of service more than made up for an occasionally cranky or not quite "into character" cast member that we have had in the past.

You sound like an A+ guest!!!

I always try to be respectful and polite to CMs. They have a very strict system that's keeping tabs on them, so they can be stressed out. They also work long, unusual hours, and even the best roles can be very monotonous. Plus listening to looped music all day long is a form of torture.

I think the core difference for CMs is where they are from. California isn't unfriendly, but we're very keep-to-ourselves. If you start a conversation with a Disneyland CM, throw in some funny jokes, or encouragement, you'll find they will open up. Most Disneyland CMs are from California, so they tend to come off this way at first.

I was born and raised in California, so when I travel I'm always shocked by how openly friendly and helpful people are. Sometimes it's almost too much! :scared:

Along with the "Please" and "Thank you", don't forget to add their name.

I try to do this whenever I work with someone wearing a name tag, wherever I may be.

You will be amazed at how much of an impact acknowledging someone with their name will perk them up!

A lot of you are saying that if we treat the CMs nicely that they'll be nice back... well, yes, of course. But a lot of our experiences (at least mine and some others here) came indirectly from just watching how the CMs act and their general attitude.

I guess I should've mentioned that I've never experienced a rude/"bad" CM that was interacting with us.

I can offer four responses: First, DLR CMs are far less in-your-face about making sure you "have a magical day" than WDW CMs because most DLR guests and CMs are locals who grew up with the park. So DLR CMs tend to be more laid back and wry, as if the experience of visiting DLR is an inside joke shared by those who grew up doing so; Second, this August (at least) SoCal has been having a weird humidity wave that seemed to have everyone (locals and CMs) on edge when we visited last week. I confirmed this with a few CMs who groused about how much drier and more comfortable the weather should be this time of year. (We were shocked by the humidity, too, by the way); Third, it's the end of a long and difficult (for the CMs) peak summer season, so their enthusiasm is also probably a bit dampened because of that, which is natural; And Fourth, all of that said, we actually feel as you do and think you're on to something. There seems to be a lack of magic/enthusiasm/investment (call it what you will) among park and hotel CMs. We've watched it wane from last March (2013), through our October 2013 visit, to out visit this month. My strong suspicion is that current DLR president Michael Colglazier--who came from WDW's Animal Kingdom and was newly installed last spring--has brought unpopular east-coast policies and procedures (i.e. a deepening of the WDW-centric "One Disney" branding) that are making negative waves among CMs throughout the resort. My four cents.

I'd trade that weird California humidty for some of this South Texas stuff any day!

I've been to Disneyland over 200 times and I honestly think I can only remember a handful of downright awful cast members. So, that's not too bad for as many visits.

Disney World, on the other hand, I've only been to 6 times. And I've encountered way more rude CMs there for some reason. Bad luck, maybe? I don't know.

I do think DLR CMs are more laid back. So if you like the "in your face" type of CM, you'd probably like WDW CMs better. But I don't really like the ones that seem overly fake. It just seems forced and patronizing. But maybe it's because I've never gone with kids.

In our three trips, I haven't noticed a CM doing anything that I would classify as rude or unenthusiastic at all.

It's hard to be "on" all the time, people. I don't expect every CM I come into contact with to be filled with the Disney spirit at ALL times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter