Disneyland California Water Park

soibn

soibn
Has anyone heard any news on this rumor? I totally hope that this happens. I just hope it has some kind of tropical theme to it. I heard that some Disney Ananlyst were concerned with Econimist statistics on a recession. I hope to God we don't have a recession. This will kill the whole deal. But according to Paul Pressler, he is not scared of the recession. Disney will live on.

Go Paul Pressler!!! I love his way of thinking. So besides this info. does anyone know anything? Come on cast members? You guys have to know something.

Since DCA is a gigantic money sucking pit of dispair, they cancelled all the Waterpark plans.

Further, Anaheim's pplans for their downtown would work much better if they had that strawberry patch that Disney so overspent for.

In short, and I hate to be the killjoy, the odds are slim.

soibn said:
Has anyone heard any news on this rumor? I totally hope that this happens. I just hope it has some kind of tropical theme to it. I heard that some Disney Ananlyst were concerned with Econimist statistics on a recession. I hope to God we don't have a recession. This will kill the whole deal. But according to Paul Pressler, he is not scared of the recession. Disney will live on.

Go Paul Pressler!!! I love his way of thinking. So besides this info. does anyone know anything? Come on cast members? You guys have to know something.
Just to bring you up to date, Pressler is no longer with the Disney Company, he now runs "The Gap".

Where would they put something like that? There didn't seem to be a lot of space when I was there last fall... Maybe they're demolishing California Adventure...

Disneybag said:
Where would they put something like that? There didn't seem to be a lot of space when I was there last fall... Maybe they're demolishing California Adventure...

The biggest undeveloped Disney-owned property at the Disneyland Resort is the 55-acre former strawberry field. When combined with adjacent Disney-owned property, the site large enough for a third Disney theme park or large water park. (However, the city of Anaheim now has their eye on that property for a new east-west commercial axis through Anaheim.)

Disney owns several surface parking lots across Harbor Boulevard and near Disney's hotels. By building another parking structure on the large Pinocchio parking lot adjacent to the Mickey & Friends parking structure, Disney would free up plenty of land (currently used for parking) for a DVC resort, a smaller water park, and another deluxe resort — without touching the Timon parking lot (DCA expansion site) or the former strawberry field.

Although every acre has to be used efficiently for Disney to maximize the value of their limited land at the Disneyland Resort, Disney has shown that they can do so. For example, the Grand Californian Resort has a wing of rooms above the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney. It's actually quite charming.

SoCalKDG said:
Just to bring you up to date, Pressler is no longer with the Disney Company, he now runs "The Gap".

DUH, I already know this. I was working at the Park during his last days with Disney. I was only qouting what he said.

Although every acre has to be used efficiently for Disney to maximize the value of their limited land at the Disneyland Resort...
Actually it's the lack of nerve to continue with the expansion plans following the disaster that is California Adventure. Disney is already talking to the city of Anaheim about letting the city take the starwberry field through the power of emenient domain (sorry for the mangeld spelling) - which will result in Disney getting pennies on the dollar for what they've spent on that land over the years (in the end it's worth it to see the land doesn't go to competeing hotels or shopping centers).

It's been made very clear many times over that Disney is not going to invest in the domestic parks. Iger and the orcs beleive that reutrns are far greater in either other areas of the company or in international parks. The $400 million dollars the Disneyland water park would cost could instead be used to build Disneyland Singapore or to make Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

Add to that the huge crack baby that California Adventure has become - there's no way capital can be spent on expansion while DCA continues to loose vast sums of money every year. The best investment for Disneyland would be to fix DCA and make it a profitable park.

But the amount of money to do that is beyond what Iger is willing to spend as well.

So we're likely stuck with what we've got. There will be a minimal level of investment just so the marketing department can put out ads with "NEW!" in the text ('Monsters, Inc.', 'Midway Madness', 'Pirates' mirco-rehab). But don't expect anything major.

If you need a waterpark near Disneyland visit Knotts Soak City. It is only 6 miles north of Anaheim on the 5. The theming is minimal so it keeps with the Paul Pressler/Eisner/Iger tradition of outdoor entertainment and best of all the prices are reasonable. Sometimes coupons can be found on the knotts.com website. Or the website will redirect you to Ralphs or Carl Jr.s to pick up the coupons.

Larry

Another Voice said:
Disney is already talking to the city of Anaheim about letting the city take the starwberry field through the power of emenient domain (sorry for the mangeld spelling) - which will result in Disney getting pennies on the dollar for what they've spent on that land over the years (in the end it's worth it to see the land doesn't go to competeing hotels or shopping centers).
When a government entity in the United States expropriates private property through the power of eminent domain, that government entity pays the fair market value of the property.

The Walt Disney Company acquired the 56-acre Fujishige strawberry farm in Anaheim right after Hiroshi Fujishige died in September 1998. When combined with a smaller Disney-owned parcel, also southeast of the corner of Katella and Harbor, there is a contiguous 80+ acre undeveloped site.

I would be very surprised if the value the property is not higher today than in 1998 — even if Disney overpaid for the property. In any case, I doubt that Disney would get only "pennies on the dollar."

I agree that the plans for a third park were put on hold because of the failure of Disney's California Adventure. I also agree that Disney might now be happy to unload the site.

In case anyone wants to learn more about the City of Anaheim's proposed use of the property, see the October 2005 article by David Koenig at MousePlanet.

soibn said:
DUH, I already know this. I was working at the Park during his last days with Disney. I was only qouting what he said.
Sorry about that.

soibn said:
But according to Paul Pressler, he is not scared of the recession. Disney will live on. Go Paul Pressler!!! I love his way of thinking.
But when I read what you had wrote, every comment about Paul was in present tense. Such as "he is not scared" and "I love his way of thinking", thus why it appeared that you didn't know Paul's status.

Knotts is a fun waterpark, but is only open 4 months out of the year. I would think that Disney needs the waterpark open year round. Maybe putting the waterpark indoors and adding theming equavalent to the WDW waterparks might do the trick.

Dumping the land would be a bad long term decision. At some point, they will wish they still had it, and it likely won't be available to buy back no matter how much they want to pay.

This isn't like those little parcels at WDW, which can be rationalized as being superfluous.

raidermatt said:
Dumping the land would be a bad long term decision. At some point, they will wish they still had it, and it likely won't be available to buy back no matter how much they want to pay.

This isn't like those little parcels at WDW, which can be rationalized as being superfluous.

I totally agree with someone, on this subject. For once, someone is thinking logical here. No offense guys, but he has a point. Come on guys, you all know you want a water park too.

"The new park would evolve, with a first phase anticipated in 2003, and completion targeted for 2010. "

Damn California Adventure..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter