• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland buys hotel across the street

Wow, that's a lot of money! I wonder if they're going to try purchasing more surrounding properties.

I've read many rumors of Disneyland buying different pieces of land for quite some time. Extra parking space, water park and even a third gate have also been discussed. Who knows? I don't think anything big is happening in the near future anyways.

I've read many rumors of Disneyland buying different pieces of land for quite some time. Extra parking space, water park and even a third gate have also been discussed. Who knows? I don't think anything big is happening in the near future anyways.
Well Disney said they are leaving the space as is for now and have no long term plans but the space wouldn't add a whole lot to parking because it's not very big. I think it will be interesting to watch if Disney buys anymore land in the future.

It might make a good walkway from parking to the parks however. Or even better, if the hotel to the south was also purchased, it could become shops and restaurants and the walkway could be on the south side of it.

A couple interesting things about this purchase are Disney announced that they purchased this which is something they don't normally do. Disney owns this under a third party company something like they did when they bought the land in Florida. Disney also supposedly owns a business park next door. This is interesting because Disney never announced that they own that park, and there are rumors that this could be tied to the Anaheim streetcar project.

I'm not going to speculate on what they're going to do. Nothing really is extremly obvious. The elevated walkway seems to make the most sense. Especially if they're planning on developing further parking across Habor, and even potentially that third park in the Toy Story lot...

Even if Disney chooses not do anything with it, they have an inherent interest in owning property in the Resort District. They can make sure development happens in a way that suits their purposes.

Here's some pictures...
image.jpg
Above is the Transportation/Central Plaza where just across the street you'll see the hotel they bought (look for red pin). Harbor is lined with all sorts of hotels like there new one. There's very little space to do anything big. That's what makes the land bridge interesting to me.

image.jpg
(Look above) Just south is the Pumba lot (Purple Pin). Building a bridge over Harbor means that guests could easily make their way from the Pumba lot while walking, and as an added benefit all those hotel guests can walk over it too. Start the day right. As I understand it, Harbor serves as an important artery for commuters in the area. Vastly reducing pedestrians would be great for traffic flow into the Resort District.
image.jpg
(Look above) Finally, this is the hotel relative to the Toy Story Parking Lot (Purple Pin) most likely spot for future parks and maybe even hotels. Needless to say it's not very close to the the recent hotel purchase (Red Pin). That's what makes it unlikely that it will be anything related to a 3rd park. Now having walking access to and from traditional Disneyland and the 3rd park makes sense. Another reason the bridge is compelling.

Just praying they don't waste the park on Marvel.

I'm not going to speculate on what they're going to do. Nothing really is extremly obvious. The elevated walkway seems to make the most sense. Especially if they're planning on developing further parking across Habor, and even potentially that third park in the Toy Story lot...

Even if Disney chooses not do anything with it, they have an inherent interest in owning property in the Resort District. They can make sure development happens in a way that suits their purposes.

Here's some pictures...
View attachment 91561
Above is the Transportation/Central Plaza where just across the street you'll see the hotel they bought (look for red pin). Harbor is lined with all sorts of hotels like there new one. There's very little space to do anything big. That's what makes the land bridge interesting to me.

View attachment 91562
(Look above) Just south is the Pumba lot (Purple Pin). Building a bridge over Harbor means that guests could easily make their way from the Pumba lot while walking, and as an added benefit all those hotel guests can walk over it too. Start the day right. As I understand it, Harbor serves as an important artery for commuters in the area. Vastly reducing pedestrians would be great for traffic flow into the Resort District.
View attachment 91563
(Look above) Finally, this is the hotel relative to the Toy Story Parking Lot (Purple Pin) most likely spot for future parks and maybe even hotels. Needless to say it's not very close to the the recent hotel purchase (Red Pin). That's what makes it unlikely that it will be anything related to a 3rd park. Now having walking access to and from traditional Disneyland and the 3rd park makes sense. Another reason the bridge is compelling.

Just praying they don't waste the park on Marvel.
Nice work. I don't believe this is in relation to a third park coming in the near future but more of a long term thing. As Disney said its rare that something is available for purchase in this area so they had to go for it. An interesting point on wdwmagic was the Anaheim street car project and how that could be playing a role in this. Someone there also mentioned that Disney supposedly owns a business park or something to that nature that is attached to this hotel property.

Nice work. I don't believe this is in relation to a third park coming in the near future but more of a long term thing. As Disney said its rare that something is available for purchase in this area so they had to go for it. An interesting point on wdwmagic was the Anaheim street car project and how that could be playing a role in this. Someone there also mentioned that Disney supposedly owns a business park or something to that nature that is attached to this hotel property.
I think that street car project may be exactly what it is.
image.jpg
It goes right through the site. Also that business park, if I'm thinking of the same one looks like it's also in the line of fire. Look how the Transit line bounces off of 5, and then goes straight to Harbor. Perfect. With this project going in, it looks like a Pedestrain Bridge would also happen too.

Problem is it seems Disney and the government are in hot water because the route helps Disneyland.
http://video.pbssocal.org/video/2365063241/

It's funny how much people from Anaheim hate Disney. I mean there is the traffic, tourists, and tax payer dollars that are poured into the Disneyland obsession. That could get old. Though with the millions in resort revenue I wouldn't be complaining too much.

Also, apparently the Federal Government isn't excited about funding the thing either.
http://voiceofoc.org/2015/03/sources-anaheim-streetcar-poor-candidate-for-federal-money/

Disney may eventually be left with a whole bunch of land.

Last edited:
WOW!!! I'm a WDW guy and have looked at its history (how Walt wanted so much land so he doesn't get boxed in like he did with Disneyland) but I had never seen an aerial view of Disneyland. Talk about being shoehorned in there. Makes me long for the wide open spaces of WDW...though I wouldn't mind being able to walk across the street to a park. :)

WOW!!! I'm a WDW guy and have looked at its history (how Walt wanted so much land so he doesn't get boxed in like he did with Disneyland) but I had never seen an aerial view of Disneyland. Talk about being shoehorned in there. Makes me long for the wide open spaces of WDW...though I wouldn't mind being able to walk across the street to a park. :)
Sure is.
image.jpg
Let's just say Walt Disney World and the surrounding areas look very different.

I will say the only two times I saw the outside world at Disneyland was on the Monorail and in the Paradise Pier Area (which despite the renovations was still placed poorly. Certain attractions you can see all of the Resort District and Backstage areas. It was cheap, and they're still paying for it) You honestly feel like there's no space constraints at all. It almost becomes one huge mega park.

Also for all the criticism Disney gets for the Resort Project(myself included), Disney executed the Downtown Disney District, Hotels, and Grizzly River Area perfectly. The integration is stunning. I have to say after visiting Disneyland, Walt Disney World seems somewhat disjointed in certain respects. Like you say that's good, but also can be a problem too. If Epcot was a few steps away from MK do you think there would be the same level of confusion on what it is? I don't think so.

Haven't stay at this hotel, but we've twice stayed at the Tropicana Inn and Suites, which is just to the immediate south of this location. For those WDW people who don't go out there, it's literally a 5-minute walk to the parks. There's no way they plow this hotel down just to make a bridge over harbor Blvd. My guess is it's what they said, they had a chance to buy up some property very close to the resort. They basically will do this every chance they get. If they can buy up enough - then they can consider doing something with it.

I will say the only two times I saw the outside world at Disneyland was on the Monorail and in the Paradise Pier Area (which despite the renovations was still placed poorly. Certain attractions you can see all of the Resort District and Backstage areas. It was cheap, and they're still paying for it)

The reason Paradise Pier has some bad sightlines is because it was built as a non-Disney hotel and then Disney bought it. which is why it's not very "Disney". It makes me wonder if they renovate this purchased hotel to give it a bit more "Disney" feel so they can charge people twice as much to stay there.

The reason Paradise Pier has some bad sightlines is because it was built as a non-Disney hotel and then Disney bought it. which is why it's not very "Disney". It makes me wonder if they renovate this purchased hotel to give it a bit more "Disney" feel so they can charge people twice as much to stay there.
Yeah, I meant specifically the theme park land. I never made it to the hotel. I did stay at Disneyland Hotel, and the outside world was visible. I didn't hold it against them on the Hotel front. Not much you can do with a high rise.

We're thinking it gets demoed before that happens.

Yeah, I meant specifically the theme park land. I never made it to the hotel. I did stay at Disneyland Hotel, and the outside world was visible. I didn't hold it against them on the Hotel front. Not much you can do with a high rise.

We're thinking it gets demoed before that happens.

Yeah - generally I agree with this...much like WDW - once you move inside the "Disney Bubble" the outside world goes away. Actually even that crossing of Harbor Boulevard they have some strategically placed hedges and all of a sudden you are "In Disney" with the world shut away. They do that very effectively.

They also do a good job of not making DL and DCA feel small, though admittedly when they get crowded in the evening it gets pretty crazy.

Hi,
I have never posted to your board before, but i follow along frequently. I just wanted to share that we have stayed at the Carousel Inn before, and have a room booked there for the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in Sept. It is a lovely hotel. The rooms are tight, but nice, and on the top floor there is a meeting area with giant windows overlooking the resort. It is just beautiful from up there. I hope they don't tear it down. We love the location and they do have a couple of bunk bed suites that the kids enjoy. Again, they aren't spacious, but for the amount of time we are there, they work well.

Disney said they are leaving the space as is for now
They also said they would never make a second FANTASIA!

Disney said they are leaving the space as is for now
They also said they would never make a second FANTASIA!

But they haven't said they will never do anything else with the property. The words "for now" are their get out of jail free card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter