• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland better than WDW

I also went to DL for the 50th anniversary.

We loved their Space Mountain. It's a totally different track structure, much smoother. I definitely liked that better.

I also loved how the entire resort, including offsite locations, is easily walkable. We stayed offsite and had a car but didn't touch it for 5 days except to go to the nearby Disney outlet store. Everywhere else we went - the parks, Downtown Disney, the hotels, shops, restaurants - we walked. And we could see the monorail go by from our room and watch fireworks from our balcony. There is an intimacy to DL that WDW just doesn't have.

I would love to be able to say how great Disneyland is but I have never been there. It is on my bucket list.

I also love the park I grew up with. I have fond nostalgic feelings towards WDW. I grew up in that park. I have been going to WDW since I was born. I went to Grad nite. I spent my 16th birthday at Epcot. Unfortunately as WDW got bigger, it lost any intimacy that It used to have.

I look forward to visiting Disneyland someday. I sounds like the WDW that I used to know and I really miss.

Last edited:
I also went to DL for the 50th anniversary.

We loved their Space Mountain. It's a totally different track structure, much smoother. I definitely liked that better.

I also loved how the entire resort, including offsite locations, is easily walkable. We stayed offsite and had a car but didn't touch it for 5 days except to go to the nearby Disney outlet store. Everywhere else we went - the parks, Downtown Disney, the hotels, shops, restaurants - we walked. And we could see the monorail go by from our room and watch fireworks from our balcony. There is an intimacy to DL that WDW just doesn't have.
Agreed, Steve. It's like a baby compared to WDW!

I love vacationing in both places, but if I have a choice, I will choose Disneyland. My first Disney park experience was at WDW, so the theory about first being your favorite doesn't work with me. I visited WDW in 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, and then in July of 2005, I traveled west, and went to Disneyland. Maybe it was because I was there for the big 50th celebration, but Disneyland captured my heart the way, WDW never has.

I feel the exact same way. I went to WDW as a teen in 1986. Then back in 1991 and 1993. Then we went every year from 2000-2013 (except 2002 when my son was born). 2014 was our first Disneyland trip and we were hooked! We went again in 2015. I was prepared to not like Disneyland as much since WDW was our home park, is "smaller," and has a smaller castle. However I was blown away by how much more relaxed we feel at Disneyland. Plus, like others have mentioned, the nostalgia of it being Walt's park.

We returned to WDW this year and it just seems like so much more work! We can't wait to get back to Disneyland next year :)

We went to Disneyland during the peak of peak last year. Yes, we were there between Christmas and New Year's. It wasn't exactly my first choice for timing, but I had made a deal with the devil and promised everyone we'd go skiing for the holidays. So, we did both (and a few other things). I was expecting crowds and had everyone "pack their patience." I also assumed correctly that our experience would be nothing like the norm...i.e. we'd need dining reservations right at the 60 day mark, no quick service due to crowds, and a decent touring plan would be vital. In other words...no relaxation or going with the flow.

I've been going to WDW since 1985 and from 85-91, all of those trips were during peak times and even with the crowds, they were very magical. So, I really expected to fall in love with Disneyland...especially based on everyone's hype. While we did enjoy it and there are definitely some things there that are superior to WDW, I wasn't planning on the number of CMs who would be out of sorts because of the crowds. I want to be sympathetic because I know I get out of sorts at our busy time, but I'm also not in a client facing role at that time. There were a few exceptional CM standouts, but most were just going through the paces, there was a lot of CM screaming at people for crowd control in bottle neck areas, there were some rude and loud CM comments towards guests who wanted to spend their time waiting for an attraction to open and we had two CMs who now rank in my top 3 for worst ever Disney CMs. One had my 7 year old in tears because his card scanner was giving him problems and he got very sharp with her. The other told me she was serious that I had a real problem and that it was bad for me to buy all kinds of Disney merch. She went on to bash her employer over discrimination issues.

I would like to return at some point to experience it at a more normal time, but it may be on my own for a RunDisney event because DH has asked not to return.

We went to Disneyland during the peak of peak last year. Yes, we were there between Christmas and New Year's. It wasn't exactly my first choice for timing, but I had made a deal with the devil and promised everyone we'd go skiing for the holidays. So, we did both (and a few other things). I was expecting crowds and had everyone "pack their patience." I also assumed correctly that our experience would be nothing like the norm...i.e. we'd need dining reservations right at the 60 day mark, no quick service due to crowds, and a decent touring plan would be vital. In other words...no relaxation or going with the flow.

I've been going to WDW since 1985 and from 85-91, all of those trips were during peak times and even with the crowds, they were very magical. So, I really expected to fall in love with Disneyland...especially based on everyone's hype. While we did enjoy it and there are definitely some things there that are superior to WDW, I wasn't planning on the number of CMs who would be out of sorts because of the crowds. I want to be sympathetic because I know I get out of sorts at our busy time, but I'm also not in a client facing role at that time. There were a few exceptional CM standouts, but most were just going through the paces, there was a lot of CM screaming at people for crowd control in bottle neck areas, there were some rude and loud CM comments towards guests who wanted to spend their time waiting for an attraction to open and we had two CMs who now rank in my top 3 for worst ever Disney CMs. One had my 7 year old in tears because his card scanner was giving him problems and he got very sharp with her. The other told me she was serious that I had a real problem and that it was bad for me to buy all kinds of Disney merch. She went on to bash her employer over discrimination issues.

I would like to return at some point to experience it at a more normal time, but it may be on my own for a RunDisney event because DH has asked not to return.
I have been to DL I think 5 times, a 5 day trip in 1995 and a 3 day visit in 2011, plus some day visits when Ive been in LA. To me, its just not as magical....its too right inside Anaheim, there is no Disney bubble. I agree the castmembers LOSE IT with crowds...we had Grad Night. The CMs physically blocked us from leaving while the grad night people showed up. They were very verbal, calling them gangbangers, etc (they looked like regular kids). They were "holding us" behind wooden horses...those barricade things and badmouthing the kids.It was bad...stuff like that bothers me about DL.
a nightmare experience back in 2011: World of Color was over and people were entering for

I love DL and WDW. To me going to Disneyland is part of the history of Disney. You have to see where it started, you can almost feel Walt walking down the street with you. You can experience the attractions he had a hand in.

If Walt hadn't created Disneyland we wouldn't all be here discussing the benefits of one over the other. To me I love the intimacy of DL but I love the space we have at WDW. I can see and enjoy the attractions that started at DL and then think of the same attraction at WDW and decide who did it better.

I love being able to walk to a park at DL from my resort hotel, but at WDW I love taking the tram, monorail, or bus because that means the start of a great day in WDW.

I am just so glad that Walt Disney decided to create a place where families could spend quality time together. It sure has made a difference in my life.

I love DL and WDW. I love being able to walk to a park at DL from my resort hotel, but at WDW I love taking the tram, monorail, or bus because that means the start of a great day in WDW.I am just so glad that Walt Disney decided to create a place where families could spend quality time together. It sure has made a difference in my life.

I love seeing your pics on Facebook because I picture you walking around, enjoying the parks.

Would you guys say the "Disney bubble" is kept intact at Disneyland? Or is it too close to the "real world"?

Would you guys say the "Disney bubble" is kept intact at Disneyland? Or is it too close to the "real world"?

Well, I'm a local, so the real world does intrude more upon me at DL than WDW. The laundry doesn't just do itself! But, yes, the bubble is definitely intact!

Melissa

IMHO, I feel that it is still intact.,..but we stay at either VGC or the Disneyland Hotel so that might make a difference.

I think it's different at DL than at WDW. DL is much more of a locals park so folks live in the general area. Also, DL only has 3 onsite hotels. Most overnight guests are staying offsite (which is probably true at WDW too but to a lesser extent). And those offsite hotels are super close. Craig mentioned this on the show the other day. He stayed at the Fairfield Inn and realized he was actually closer to the park than if he had stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. So it's just a very different dynamic. You can see the monorail traveling right along Harbor Blvd. You can easily watch the fireworks from outside of the park. You can't do that stuff in Florida.

Walt Disney purposely had a railroad berm built around the Disneyland Park itself so that once inside you cannot see out of the park. In that manner, yes you are definitely in a bubble. Downtown Disney and Disney's California Adventure have maintained that bubble. However, as time has gone on since Disneyland opened in 1955 taller buildings have been built and some attractions peak above that berm, so there are a few times where you get a glimpse outside the Disneyland Resort area - Tower of Terror (though the view of the San Gabriel Mountains in the distance is pretty cool), California Screamin', Mickey's Fun Wheel, and maybe Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Also, the Monorail has always taken you along Harbor Blvd, which is cool for kids who are staying in those hotels to see them. I remember as a kid we would always try to spot our car in the parking lot when we would pass it on our way to the Disneyland Hotel. We never looked at it in a negative way, but cool because we were breaking out of the bubble during that ride. So, once you are in the resort you are cocooned. I think for those guests that have never been to WDW it's not something we ever think about because we're too excited about going to Disneyland.

The Disneyland Resort will never compare to the Walt Disney World bubble. You're talking about 85 acres versus 40 square miles.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-world-vs-disneyland-physical-size-comparison.3407376/

I have been to both and honestly, I think trying to compare them is futile. Although they share a lot of similarities, they are very, very different places and different experiences. I think any big Disney fan should definitely do both.

I completely agree. I love both parks, and they are very different places. If I have choose a "preferred" park, I prefer DLR - mainly because it is my "home" park. I grew up going there more often as a child as we had family near DL, so it has special memories and nostalgia for me that WDW doesn't as much. I really don't compare them at all while visiting, though..they're just two very different experiences.

Anyone else a little tired of hearing about how much better Disneyland is than Walt Disney World? I love the podcasts and all the hard working members of the team but, intentionally or unintentionally, this message seems to be the theme as of late. There will always be people who like one over the other and that's awesome and makes for fun jokes and ribbing. I just think the WDW podcast should advocate for WDW and the Disneyland podcast can advocate for Disneyland. Right now, as a WDW lover I feel a little abandoned and neglected. Its almost like no one likes WDW better anymore, except maybe Kathy lol. Just my friendly opinion.

Yes, I agree with some of your statements. I'm tired of hearing about Disneyland, too. I just don't listen to each and every DL podcast. But to be fair, the podcasts were planned to showcase DLR for the whole month of June. And the team has done a great job with all the videos, etc.

I went to DLR once in Jan 2011. I wasn't blown away. However, I was there at a very sad time in my life and I don't think I really had my mind properly on the theme park. I need to give it another chance.

But I'm ready for some WDW love now. So I'm going to the 10th Anniversary celebrations next week and enjoying my favorite resort...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter