Disneyland Australia

disneyjoe25

Earning My Ears
As anyone heard any news about a possible Disneyland in Australia? If so, what's the info on it? Is it just a rumor or is under construction?

No plans for it. There was some minor artwork found several years ago.

The main problem is lack of population...it just isn't large enough to support a full Disneyland like we know it today. A "boutique" resort may happen eventually though IMHO. (like Aulani)

The population of Australia is 22,620,600 (2011; Source: World Bank via Google).

In comparison, the population of the United States is 311,591,917 (Jul 2011; Source: U.S. Census Bureau vis Google)

The population of just the state of Texas is 25,674,681 (Jul 2011;
Source: U.S. Census Bureau via Google). And major cities in Texas are well served by airline flights from the rest of the United States, as well as Latin America. (Of course, there are already two Disney destinations in the United States.)

I don't expect to see a Disney park in Texas -- but I could imagine a Disney park in Texas before Australia.

Then again, there's this blog post from 2009: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/09/disneyland-australia-finally-proof-that.html

No plans for it. There was some minor artwork found several years ago.

The main problem is lack of population...it just isn't large enough to support a full Disneyland like we know it today. A "boutique" resort may happen eventually though IMHO. (like Aulani)

You're right about the ''boutique resort''. I think it would be a nice way for Disney to be in markets where they can't build an entire Theme Park. That and Adventures by Disney of course!

I was hoping for some more promising news.

My brother (who lives in Perth Australia) told me a few moths ago that it was on the news about Disney building a theme park in Perth Australia.
When he told me, I looked for information but found nothing.
I hope something is built, It would give me an excuse to see me brother more ;)

darthtatty said:
I was hoping for some more promising news.

My brother (who lives in Perth Australia) told me a few moths ago that it was on the news about Disney building a theme park in Perth Australia.
When he told me, I looked for information but found nothing.
I hope something is built, It would give me an excuse to see me brother more ;)

I love Disney but that would ruin Perth in my view. One of my favorite cities just the way it is.

Oh I would LOOOOOOOOVE this. I don't think it needs to be massive, we have quite a few big theme parks on the Gold Coast and they do alright!

That would be a really fun new exciting experience. I really think the Australian atmosphere would bring something new and exciting to disney. But with that being said i don't see this coming in the next 10 years. Disney parks around the globe need updating and new exciting things themselves. Disney world for example did just get new fantasyland but epcot and DHS could use something new or an expansion. Animal kingdom is supposed to get Avatarland but we all know how that's going. I strongly believe this is a possibility but not right now but far off in the future. I think disney is also going to focus on updates to the cruise line and how to incorporate Star Wars into the parks hence all the rumors of Star Wars land in DHS.

Iv always wondered why there isnt a Disneyland in Australia already!
This rumor thread is from August 2012. The Walt Disney Company has not announced any park for Australia.

As noted in post #4 of this thread, the population of Australia is just 22,620,600 (2011; Source: World Bank via Google). And that's on the whole continent (although primarily in the southeast part of the continent)..

There are some big cities, notably Sydney and Melbourne. And there's tourism from other countries -- but Australia is a hard destination to get to, and much of the tourism involves once-in-a-lifetime trips by people who can afford the considerable cost (and are traveling to see the wonders of Australia, not to have a Disney experience).

It would be hard for me to imagine how a Disney park could draw the kind of attendance that would generate a healthy profit after covering the development, construction, and operating expenses. Until and unless Disney can come up with a business model that works with far fewer annual guests, I would not expect a Disney park in Australia.

Since Disneyland never wanted to be built in Australia, I believe that it was shown in Australia once as a television special on the Disney Channel Australia. It's called "The Wiggles Live at Disneyland". You see, the Disney Channel Australia and Qantas paid the Wiggles so that they could be on their TV station. Some people say that in the special, the Wiggles are on the hunt of Mickey Mouse. Let me know if any of you Australians have all of the footage of the special to send it to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter