• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas?

CNDKangaroo

Mouseketeer
I've just thought up this wild idea and I'm trying to figure out if I'm out to lunch or should actually do it! I'm thinking about taking the family (husband, and three kids who will be ages 8, 6 and 4) to Disneyland for Christmas
(23-26). We've all been to Disneyland lots of times (usually once per year) although this year we didn't have plans to go because we're saving up for a two week trip to Walt Disney World in May 2008. I don't think we'll feel any pressure for rides etc. but I would just like to get away with our little family and also get away from all the gifts and craziness that goes along with Christmas. We always have such a magical time but I'm a bit worried that the crowds and travel during the holiday season might just be too much. Anyone done christams and what did you think. Was it worth it and were the kids receptive of the idea of a vacation rather then presents (Santa will deliver his goodies of course but that is it.).

The week between Christmas and New Years is the busiest time of the year in the parks. You can count on them closing the gates because of capacity crowds daily. I personally would not go during this time if you paid me. However, I would have no problem taking my kids out of school earlier in the holiday season to celebrate Christmas in the parks. We will be doing that right after Thanksgiving this year. Our kids know that DL IS their Christmas present from us and prefer it over any toys they might get.

Disneyland at Christmas time= :crowded: I did it one time, NEVER again! If I were you I'd go a week or so BEFORE Christmas break officially starts. :goodvibes

We always go before xmas. I cannot imagine how nuts it would be during xmas break. My girls (7 & 9) know that DL is their gift for xmas and they love it. They've pretty much out grown toys and such and think DL is perfect. We always spend xmas day with family so they have a few gifts from them and we tuck a couple of outfits and bath products under the tree. Makes xmas so much less stressful. And we get the bonus of doing most of our shopping for friends in family at DL!

Thanks for the replys. We have no interest in going prior to Christmas as we are out of holiday days for work this year and our big holiday is next May 2008 to Walt Disney World (which the kids already know about and are excited about). It would be just a quick trip and not tied to rides (although we tend to get to the parks very early and find that when we do that we can go on a few rides with little or no wait. Hmmm, this may be one of those situations where were we have to experience it to figure out if it is a good idea or not -- it might be fun to go with no expectations and just enjoy the moment whatever that might be!

I'm with the others, I wouldnt want to be there that time of year. We usually go about once a year. We want to do as much as possible with the time we have- but thats is just how we travel. As you said, maybe you just need to try it to see what its like. I think if you all went with open minds that its going to be crazy busy, and just planned for that you could have a good time. It is, after all, Disneyland during a great time of year.

Hey there we went once during christmas and it was crazy we will never let santa bring us disneyland again .But we are giving our kids disneyland as are present form us this year and we are going in january after the holidays we will need the break then ...see ya :santa:

I can't say too much about DL over Christmas Day, but we did do WDW over Christmas in 2005. I remember my travel agent warning me about he crowds, and " are you sure?" I didn't care, and wanted it to be our Chrstmas. We went from the 19th to 25th. I did get crazier as it got closer to Christmas, but it was doable. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you go with the attitude that yes it will by busy, and yes we have to plan things right you can do it just fine. We have been to DL on Dec 27th and 2 times on New Years Eve. Those days were nuts, but we had a blast!! We also used Ride Max on one of those trips, and it worked amazing!!!! New Years was literally wall to wall people, but everyone was in a festive mood, and just having fun.party:

If those are your days you can get off go for it. Get Ride Max for sure, and go with a good mind set that it will be busy. I know that as soon as we can, I want to take our family over Christmas to DL. It just takes alot of planning to get us all there, as there are now 11 of us.:jumping1: :jumping1: The price also sky rockets for rooms!:eek:

Also the Christmas decorations are just beautiful at DL. IMO better than the Magic Kingdom at WDW. I think it's because DL is more intimate.

I have never been to Disneyland for Christmas:santa: , so not sure why I'm offering my opinion here, but I think it sounds like you know what to expect crowd-wise and would be able to make it work for your family with the proper planning. Maybe you could do a tour one of the days, so even though it's crowded and ride lines are super long, you have something really special to do. Your kids sound about the right age for the Discover the Magic Tour:wizard: . Not sure what your budget would be, but you could try and do the Fantasmic! balcony seating too.

Just a few thoughts from someone who is no expert by any means!!:rolleyes1

I can't say too much about DL over Christmas Day, but we did do WDW over Christmas in 2005. I remember my travel agent warning me about he crowds, and " are you sure?" I didn't care, and wanted it to be our Chrstmas. We went from the 19th to 25th. I did get crazier as it got closer to Christmas, but it was doable. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you go with the attitude that yes it will by busy, and yes we have to plan things right you can do it just fine. We have been to DL on Dec 27th and 2 times on New Years Eve. Those days were nuts, but we had a blast!! We also used Ride Max on one of those trips, and it worked amazing!!!! New Years was literally wall to wall people, but everyone was in a festive mood, and just having fun.party:

If those are your days you can get off go for it. Get Ride Max for sure, and go with a good mind set that it will be busy. I know that as soon as we can, I want to take our family over Christmas to DL. It just takes alot of planning to get us all there, as there are now 11 of us.:jumping1: :jumping1: The price also sky rockets for rooms!:eek:

Also the Christmas decorations are just beautiful at DL. IMO better than the Magic Kingdom at WDW. I think it's because DL is more intimate.

Any time BEFORE Christmas is okay at both DL and WDW. Anything from the 25th through New Year's is total insanity. The crowds, ride wait times, etc. makes the trip NOT such a good time.:scared1:

We've been there between Christmas and New Year's and I agree--it is crazy. I think one reason is because of the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl. DL gets a lot of those people--some of the bands play at DL, and people who are in town for the parade and game usually are there, too.

Any time BEFORE Christmas is okay at both DL and WDW. Anything from the 25th through New Year's is total insanity. The crowds, ride wait times, etc. makes the trip NOT such a good time.:scared1:

With Christmas on a Tuesday this year I think the weekend before might be pretty busy as well. People will more then likely have Monday off, making it a very long weekend.

I am different, I was there last Christmas and although it was crowded I had the best time of my life. Would I do it again, probably not it was something I was dying to do. I don't have kids so the crowds I could handle but if I brought children that would be a whole different thing. :)

:yay: Will it be busy/crowded? Probably.
Christmas at Disneyland=Priceless. I'd go in a minute if I could, and I have been there serveral times when the gates have closed for max capacity. On the opening day of the 50th celebration, we rode the monorail in from downtown disney and were able to get through 5 or 6 rides before the crowds caught up with us. We are also planning to go this December, but the first of the month. I am not allowed vacation time over major holidays:sad2:
I say go for it!!! Just be prepared for the hords of people:yay:

We did last Christmas. Dh got the idea watching it on TV. He said "lets go" I was dumbfounded. He HATES Disneyland. Within 10 minutes I got he kids dressed, grab some snacks and said we're ready. It was crazy but honestly one of the best times. Very crowded but fun.

We go to Disneyland about once a week on average.
If you are going December 23-26, the 23rd and 24th should be great days, though the 23rd being a Sunday will be a little tricky.
One thing you should REALLY make time for: The Believe in Holiday Magic Christmas Fireworks. They will be going off every night you are there. These fireworks surpass anything we've ever seen. For many people we talk too (while waiting to see them) they are the highlight of their whole trip. The absolute best place to watch is right in front of the castle (in the circle). Someone will have to sit on a bench or the curb 3 hours before the show to save your seats! Tag team helps.

:yay: Will it be busy/crowded? Probably.
Christmas at Disneyland=Priceless. I'd go in a minute if I could, and I have been there serveral times when the gates have closed for max capacity. On the opening day of the 50th celebration, we rode the monorail in from downtown disney and were able to get through 5 or 6 rides before the crowds caught up with us. We are also planning to go this December, but the first of the month. I am not allowed vacation time over major holidays:sad2:
I say go for it!!! Just be prepared for the hords of people:yay:

Christmas time at Disneyland is the BEST! I love the way it is decorated!

I would say to go at the begining of the month. It won't be so crowded. I will be there November 30 - December 2, 2007.

I have been the week between Christmas and New Years and the 1st day we tried to go Disneyland was sold out and it was a Tuesday. We got tickets for Wednesday and again it sold out. It was way too crowded but my DBF's sister and his niece age 4 were visiting from New Mexico so we had to go.

I have also been on New Year's Eve. Now that time the park was not crowded at all until it got dark. We went on pretty much everything during the day and at night we just hung out until the count down to midnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter