• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did the Holiday tour today as well after enjoying it last year. Compared to a tour such as Walking in Walt's Footsteps, this seemed light on details. Several people on in my group had done it before and were also disappointed in this year's tour. It felt like it was geared toward a first timer Disney level and not necessarily the long time Disney fan with a greater understanding of history or parks. We did also cover a lot more actual ground than last year with stops ranging from Cars land to Critter Country before ending up at Small World for the parade.

This has been the first thing I have done at Disney where I didn't feel that I hadn't gotten my money's worth. I had booked when the tour first opened and was told that rides were included. I did stop by City Hall to share my disappointment with them. While yes the cookie, cocoa pin and parade seats are nice, it just felt like I was paying more for less after last year. It also just seems cruel to stop in front of the jungle cruise, point out how the skippers decorated but not actually go on or the Haunted Mansion and not actually visit. Even a fasy pass to return later which was one of my suggestions would have been nice. It also would have been nice to have the option to have water rather than Hot Chocolate, but I know that it isn't usually 90 degrees on the tour. It also seemed that our tour guide had already heard multiple complaints, encouraging folks to stop by city hall to voice any concerns they had several times.

For me the value of these tours is that I like to see or do something that I couldn't do on my own. This didn't feel like that to me but then again my experience is in comparison to last year where I felt it was a much better experience overall. If you have never done it before and value a seat for the parade, it may hold more value for you.

Thank you for your detailed description of the tour. We were afraid that it would be disappointing since we have fond memories of past tours. Any chance you could post a photo of the pin?

OK, I just called again. They said a BB reservation between 4 and 5 would get the first showing, anything 5 and later would be for the second showing.

They said for Aladdin's Oasis anything 3:45 or earlier would be for the first showing and anything 4 or later would be for the second showing.

No details yet on where the BB viewing area will be. Just somewhere on Main Street.

I have AA booked one of the nights we are there, and this morning found one for BB for our other night.

Not sure yet if I will keep one or both of those. Still thinking on it.

Thank you!

Have BB booked and was hoping for the first parade

The toy soldiers will be in the parade starting next week. I can't say why they've been absent, so you'll just have to take my word for it. (Or not.) :)

FWIW, I'm the author of that blog post (thanks for sharing the link!) and I would recommend the Holiday Time at Disneyland tour over the dessert party. I cover getting the best spot for World of Color in my viewing guide (mentioned in that post), and it's a pretty easy strategy to follow.

From my perspective, the dessert party is way overpriced for what you get. A great view of World of Color is not at all difficult to secure if you know what you're doing. Have fun!
I love the review- thanks! After reading your best viewing tips,I am now really unsure about keeping my party res. I think we may do ok with a later show plus fp.....

Ugh did you notice this year it said one candy cane per guest? I'm pretty sure last year it was TWO because DH got 2 bands so the kids and I wouldn't have to stand in line- bummer since we usually only do 2-3 between our group but it was nice the kids didn't have to wait in line!

I know. To my knowledge its always been 2! I usually get 8 : (

We did the Holiday tour today as well after enjoying it last year. Compared to a tour such as Walking in Walt's Footsteps, this seemed light on details. Several people on in my group had done it before and were also disappointed in this year's tour. It felt like it was geared toward a first timer Disney level and not necessarily the long time Disney fan with a greater understanding of history or parks. We did also cover a lot more actual ground than last year with stops ranging from Cars land to Critter Country before ending up at Small World for the parade.

This has been the first thing I have done at Disney where I didn't feel that I hadn't gotten my money's worth. I had booked when the tour first opened and was told that rides were included. I did stop by City Hall to share my disappointment with them. While yes the cookie, cocoa pin and parade seats are nice, it just felt like I was paying more for less after last year. It also just seems cruel to stop in front of the jungle cruise, point out how the skippers decorated but not actually go on or the Haunted Mansion and not actually visit. Even a fasy pass to return later which was one of my suggestions would have been nice. It also would have been nice to have the option to have water rather than Hot Chocolate, but I know that it isn't usually 90 degrees on the tour. It also seemed that our tour guide had already heard multiple complaints, encouraging folks to stop by city hall to voice any concerns they had several times.

For me the value of these tours is that I like to see or do something that I couldn't do on my own. This didn't feel like that to me but then again my experience is in comparison to last year where I felt it was a much better experience overall. If you have never done it before and value a seat for the parade, it may hold more value for you.

Thanks for your review. I was afraid of this . Atleast people are voicing their concerns in order to prevent this from happening in future holiday seasons!

the tour has not been what I hoped for. Frankly, I was bored to tears. But I kept telling myself that the Christmas parade viewing would be worth it. It is now 4:45 and still no parade (start time was 4:15). It's been delayed. I have multiple FPs waiting to be used and I am incredibly frustrated. While I am still enjoying my trip, the holiday tour was not worth it - especially if I don't even see a parade!!

the tour has not been what I hoped for. Frankly, I was bored to tears. But I kept telling myself that the Christmas parade viewing would be worth it. It is now 4:45 and still no parade (start time was 4:15). It's been delayed. I have multiple FPs waiting to be used and I am incredibly frustrated. While I am still enjoying my trip, the holiday tour was not worth it - especially if I don't even see a parade!!
That stinks. Did the parade finally run?

Not sure if I should post in this superthread or in the general area, but I'll try here first. We will be in the area from Dec 27-31 and can't decide if we should spend a day or 2 at DL and/or DCA while we are there... We are a family of 4: mom, dad and 20 and 16 yr old daughters, visiting from Canada. We've only been once a few years back early in Feb. HOW CRAZY BUSY will it be those days and should we try it? Any thoughts would be helpful! TIA!

I'd like to know about this also. My daughter has her heart set on doing both during our trip and I'd like to prepare her before we get there if they will not be happening.

I still haven't found an answer about Olaf's area at DCA, but I do know that there will NOT be a skating rink at Downtown Disney this year :(

The area where it usually is located is currently under construction for the new security checkpoint near the DL Hotel.

Not sure if I should post in this superthread or in the general area, but I'll try here first. We will be in the area from Dec 27-31 and can't decide if we should spend a day or 2 at DL and/or DCA while we are there... We are a family of 4: mom, dad and 20 and 16 yr old daughters, visiting from Canada. We've only been once a few years back early in Feb. HOW CRAZY BUSY will it be those days and should we try it? Any thoughts would be helpful! TIA!

It will be crazy busy. Those are some of the busiest days of the year at DLR. That said, you can still have a very fun time with good preparation and planning. Knowing what to expect and having positive attitudes are key at DLR at any time, but especially during the last week of the year. Whether you decide to try it is completely up to you. But just know that you can have a great time during those dates, but it will take a bit more organization.

It will be crazy busy. Those are some of the busiest days of the year at DLR. That said, you can still have a very fun time with good preparation and planning. Knowing what to expect and having positive attitudes are key at DLR at any time, but especially during the last week of the year. Whether you decide to try it is completely up to you. But just know that you can have a great time during those dates, but it will take a bit more organization.

Thanks for your reply. I have read these are some of the busiest days of the year and that's my dilemma.. We love both sides.. do we try to hop from one park to the other on one day? Or will that be impossible and we should really spend one day on each side? And what kind of preparation and planning do you suggest? I'm not sure where to even start... Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply. I have read these are some of the busiest days of the year and that's my dilemma.. We love both sides.. do we try to hop from one park to the other on one day? Or will that be impossible and we should really spend one day on each side? And what kind of preparation and planning do you suggest? I'm not sure where to even start... Thanks again!

Park hopping is so easy and the parks are so close together that it really would be a shame not to hop. Hopping gives you an alternative when one park becomes too congested. Also, FPs are not connected between the parks, so you can hold FPs simultaneously for 2 rides, one in each park. Be aware that DL usually reaches capacity (usually in the afternoon) on one or more of those dates. So if you leave DL to hop to DCA, you might not be allowed back into DL until enough people have left (usually after the parade). First of all, do you have hotel reservations? If not, book them now. It is getting very close to your dates and it will be increasingly difficult to find a close by hotel at a good rate. You are already within your 60 day window to make dining reservations. Make them now for any TS places where you want to eat. Having one reservation a day can be a nice break from the crowds. As long as you are flexible about times, you should be able to find dining reservations. Do a search on this board for visiting DLR during Christmas week/for NYE/etc. You'll find tips there, too.

For those who know/have been to DCA this week- I see on the Festival of Holidays map I think says photo ops and kid activities- can anyone elaborate on where they are and what they are? I saw country bear and chip/Dale holding acorns with bows, so I'm assuming those are 2 of the photo ops? I'd love to hear more info though!

The parade has been delayed a few times since we have been here...not sure what the reasons have been. WOC was delayed once, fireworks were cancelled mid-show one night, and apparently there were a bunch of power outages in frontierland/NOS/Adventureland today.

I heard that WOC was delayed because the projection screen that goes over the mickey head on the fun wheel got caught that night. we had a WOC lunch at WCT yesterday , and saw last night's show..still no screen over the mickey head. Show was delayed a bit last night too, but did finally run. (we really enjoyed it!)

I still haven't found an answer about Olaf's area at DCA, but I do know that there will NOT be a skating rink at Downtown Disney this year :(

The area where it usually is located is currently under construction for the new security checkpoint near the DL Hotel.
I was afraid of that. I'll break the news to my daughter in the morning. Thanks for letting me know.

I do not think that Olaf's area is up and running this year. We were over there a few times, and while I saw characters meeting in that area, I saw them outside the building (Olaf and nick/judy were there at different times). We didn't attempt to go in the building, but we didn't see any outward signs that there was anything inside. Anna and Elsa are meeting at the Animation building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter