Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s Monday -- and it’s time for the ninth week of the 5th Annual Theme Week Countdown to begin!!

……Only 39 Days Until the
Holiday Season Begins at the Disneyland Resort!!!!

With each new week will come a different Disneyland Resort holiday theme!

As I have previously mentioned in this Superthread, I’ll be showcasing a particular aspect of DLR's holiday festivities each week until early November. Including today’s theme, there are 5 more themes to explore over the next 5 weeks: Four main weekly themes every Monday from today, October 5, 2015, through October 26, 2015, and a final “Holiday Cornucopia/These Are a Few of My Favorite Things” theme on Monday, November 2, 2015 (there will be more details about what the “Cornucopia” can include when we get closer to that date!).

Last year I began the Countdown about 3 weeks earlier than I started it this year. I am ending it before the Holidays at DLR officially commence (which will be Friday, November 13th, 2015, although certain things will likely soft open or soft launch on the weekend before Veterans Day). Once November starts and the decorations in the parks appear little by little each day, our attention shifts to learning information about and seeing photos of what is new for the current season’s celebration. This year there are many questions revolving around what will or will not be back for the holidays with the current focus on the Diamond (60th) Anniversary of Disneyland, and all eyes will be on any news or reports coming in from the parks.

Theme Week Countdowns are a great way to keep the photos rolling in on a regular basis and build anticipation for November at the Disneyland Resort! They are also a way to display the different elements, nuances and details of the Holidays at DLR that may be totally new to some visitors…or previously unnoticed/undiscovered by others. Finally, this is an excellent way for our Theme Week Countdown participants to shine a light on their wonderful pictures and attract visitors to their Trip Reports, photo libraries, etc.

Last week, we journeyed down the mystical, musical alleys of New Orleans Square and enjoyed Christmas with a Mardi Gras twist. We also paid a visit to New Orleans Square’s most famous residence and met its temporary houseguest, Jack Skellington, as he attempted to put a bit of a “nightmarish” Halloween spin on the Yuletide season in Haunted Mansion Holiday. And we peeked in at the ‘other’ holiday season at Disneyland Resort, Halloween Time, which collides with the Holidays every year as pumpkins give way to Christmas trees. Earlier we caught a glimpse of the special holiday offerings at the three Hotels of the Disneyland Resort and in Downtown Disney. Prior to that we enjoyed the Yuletide season around the world as we sailed through It’s a Small World Holiday, strolled through Fantasyland and cruised through the jolliest of jungles on the Jingle Cruise. We have also stepped back in time to see how Christmas was celebrated on Buena Vista Street and in Hollywood Land in the 1920s through the 1940s, respectively. We have also explored: the seaside celebrations in Paradise Pier & Pacific Wharf; tempting Holiday Treats & Treasures (a.k.a. Food & Merchandise); different seasonal photo options with Holiday Characters, PhotoPass and Santa Claus; and beautiful Christmas Trees, Wreaths and Holiday Horticulture (Holiday Flowers and Plants) around Disneyland Resort.

So…what will be our ninth theme of 2015? It is a triple header Theme Week, so 3 themes in one!! Today, we visit the more whimsical side of the holidays at Disneyland Resort!

In the Spotlight this Week......

A BUG’S LAND, CARS LAND and MICKEY’S TOONTOWN!!!

Since 1993, Mickey’s Toontown has been a place that is easily dismissed as a playground “just for kids.” But anyone who appreciates the famous attention to detail that Disneyland offers in all of its theme parks will agree that Toontown is one of the best places to enjoy a wide variety of hidden gems.

Located in the far reaches of Disneyland, beyond the magical It’s a Small World Holiday, Mickey’s Toontown seems to be a long way to go for a bit of holiday cheer. But holiday cheer you will surely find if you care to visit this city made of exaggerated, slightly kooky structures and shapes; signs, sight gags and inside jokes; interactive inanimate objects; and bright, vivid colors. Toontown is wild. It’s wacky. It’s off-kilter. And it has its own special style of celebrating the season.

As Toontown is the place where Disney luminaries such as Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck and Chip & Dale reside, it will be no surprise to hear their familiar voices ‘singing’ Christmas songs to keep you in a festive mood as you stroll through the streets of this madcap world.

One of the first signs of Christmas to catch your eye is the town’s appropriately cartoonish tree, stationed in front of City Hall. However, there are touches of the season everywhere you look. Roger Rabbit wears a Santa Claus suit in his cozy nook situated above the Car Toon Spin ride. Mickey and Minnie display trees on their lawns (Minnie’s tree features pink tones!). Decorations hanging from various Toontown ‘businesses’ bear symbols of the themes they represent, i.e., some of the Fire House ornaments may be Dalmatian-spotted; there are letters/envelopes in the garland above the Post Office; there are daisies above Daisy’s Diner, etc. The details are absolutely amazing, and are just one of the elements that make Toontown such a special place in Disneyland all year long, but specifically from November to early January!

If you are visiting Disneyland Resort for the holiday season, don’t leave without paying a visit to the lively Toontown to check out its special brand of Toon-tastic Yuletide decorations, with an ‘animated’ twist!

Since its grand opening in June of 2012, Cars Land has been at the epicenter of the “re-imagining” of California Adventure, drawing thousands of new guests to that park.

Much like Toontown, Cars Land’s unique details and design are fun and playful, and always full of inside jokes. It is no surprise that the holiday décor in Radiator Springs – the main hub of activity – would be reflective of those traits as well.

Our favorite Cars characters use their surroundings and tools to creatively decorate for the Yuletide season. For example, instead of holly they might use hubcaps. Instead of garland they might use gas cans. And why leave a plate of cookies for Santa when you can give him…carburetors?? The possibilities are endless in this vehicular world.

As is the case with Buena Vista Street, music also plays an important role in the merriment – I guess you could say it is a ‘driving’ force behind the celebration -- except that instead of crooners and Big Bands, in Cars Land the Christmas songs which provide the festive soundtrack for the land have a definite ‘50s and ‘60s flair.

Put the pedal to the metal and cruise on over to Cars Land for the holidays!

Much like Toontown, New Orleans Square and Cars Land, the Christmas decorations you find in A Bug’s Land in California Adventure are unlike any decorations you will find anywhere else in Disneyland Resort. They are very specific to the theme of the land, and really could not fit with any other area of the Resort.

As soon as you enter Flik’s Fun Fair you see that the Bugs have been getting ready for the holidays, stringing up giant (to us) colored lights and setting up enormous ornaments. Flik even puts on a special “red suit” for the occasion!

You will notice that the seasonal touches in A Bug’s Land are not overdone in that they are fairly minimal in the grand scheme of things – and in sharp contrast to other areas of Disneyland Resort – but they are minimal in an oversized way, of course!! In other words, there are no Christmas trees taking center stage. There are no reindeer prancing ‘round the shrubbery. There are no gingerbread houses, giant snowmen or snowflakes nestled in the foliage. But, what is there, however, is very fitting to A Bug’s Land’s theme and it is enough to indicate that these tiny critters love to celebrate the holiday season too!

Toontown

Roger Rabbit in his Santa suit…

IMG_1247.jpg

In front of Car Toon Spin…

IMG_7204-2.jpg

IMG_7202.jpg

IMG_7203.jpg

The “interesting” plastic City Hall tree…

IMG_1281.jpg

City Hall and the “interesting" tree…

IMG_7205.jpg

At Mickey’s House…

IMG_1308.jpg

At Minnie’s House…

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Outside of Donald’s boat…

IMG_2576.jpg

Things are delightfully askew at Goofy’s House…

IMG_1295.jpg

Cars Land

After a popular debut in 2012, Snowy the Snow Car made a grand return in 2013 and 2014…

IMG_9126.jpg

One of my all-time favorite details of the holiday offerings at Disneyland Resort is the miniature gingerbread model of the (decorated-for-Christmas) Cozy Cone Motel, complete with gingerbread cones to represent the different food stands…

IMG_9167.jpg

IMG_9169.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg

…And there is even a tiny version of the Cozy Cone Christmas tree!!!

IMG_9177.jpg

The real Cozy Cone Christmas tree…

IMG_6206.jpg

This little gingerbread gem was on display at Flo’s for the holiday season of 2012, but was nowhere to be found in 2013…

IMG_6191.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

This Radiator Winter sign was there for 2012, and then gone in 2013 and 2014…

IMG_6741.jpg

A Bug’s Land

The entrance to Flik’s Fun Fair…

IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9222.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg

IMG_9234.jpg

IMG_9236.jpg

Someone’s hiding in the shadows…

IMG_6564.jpg

Giant Christmas lights and ornaments…

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

I may or may not post more photos during the week.

Please feel free to post your photos of A Bug’s Land, Cars Land and Mickey’s Toontown all this week, through Sunday, October 11th, 2015, 11:59 p.m., P.S.T.

Then, stay tuned for our tenth theme on Monday, October 12th!! We still have quite a few themes coming up in the next several weeks, so get your photos ready!

A reminder – please follow my leads (in either the photos I post or in the text) as to what to post for the themes. Please stick to the designated themes and save any other photos that don’t fit for future theme weeks. Every possible Disneyland Resort holiday-related element will be covered in some theme or another, so nothing will be left out. However, since this is a game/contest – in which people are entering to win Disney gift cards based on their contributions – it’s important to not stray from the theme that is underway. Feel free to ask me if you are not sure if something counts or doesn’t count.

I see Big Thunder Mountain Railroad on the refurbishment list on the Disney calendar for Nov. 16th. I haven't seen that closure anywhere else. Hopefully it is just a short closure for maintenance. Does anyone else know any more?

A Bug’s Land

Giant Ornaments

Cars Land

Courthouse Christmas tree
8191846779_d429cdbe03_c.jpg

8191863209_194652b6b2_c.jpg

Stanley statue with a Christmas hat and bag or goodies
8191848679_cfdc5bf6b2_c.jpg

Luigi’s Flying Tires leaning tower of tires with Christmas lights and garlands
8192925708_23b26ae964_c.jpg

Tire looks like a wreath, wrenches which look like snow flakes and filters that look like garlands
8192926894_68e38b04b1_c.jpg

Mater with his Santa Hat
8191870313_c8d00ebd79_c.jpg

Flo’s V8 Café
8191875953_832958e2fa_c.jpg

Flo’s V8 Café Motor Oil Christmas tree
8191872029_a51c5e66f7_c.jpg

Flo’s V8 Café Christmas tree inside the restaurant
8191873733_bba2465448_c.jpg

Radiator Curios (wrong Winter) store
8191877621_6c6124c734_c.jpg

8191879377_5f39892811_c.jpg

Cozy Cone Motel
8192968698_01080e736a_c.jpg

8192971238_d60cabb601_c.jpg

8192974336_ee1a45813e_c.jpg

8191890817_6e27cde4bc_c.jpg

Sarge’s Surplus Hut
8191896083_e3974a317e_c.jpg

8191897059_22139c9424_c.jpg

8192993690_cd978c86cc_c.jpg

Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree
8193001110_3d65c1dfb0_c.jpg

8192999384_0031cb6807_c.jpg

Fillmore’s Taste-In Fuel
8191919177_ed0ac88837_c.jpg

8191920309_00ceabb4ba_c.jpg

Cars Land Sign with the Holiday images in the letters
8191923031_1a9f1f65bb_c.jpg

Ramone’s House of Body Art with garlands on the bottom
8192947512_f140a5e808_c.jpg

Mickey's Toontown

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin

Can’t forget about the Ugly Plastic Tree at City Hall which used to be the Christmas tree at the former Mickey’s Toontown Fair at the MK.

City Hall

Minnie’s Heart Wreath

Of course Minnie’s Ugly Plastic Tree

Mickey’s House

Mickey’s Ugly Plastic Christmas tree along with a nice train on the lawn

Donald’s Boat

Donald’s Wreath

Goofy’s House

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: :lmao: about the ugly plastic trees! :lmao: But really... it's so true. If there had never been any actual "good" trees in Toontown, then the plastic ones might not have been so hard to accept. The problem is that there used to be good trees there -- we saw them! They may have been artificial trees, but they were bright and colorful and cheery. And then, in 2011, they were replaced with those plastic things. Goodbye to the good trees - forever.

We can't stop talking about those ugly plastic trees at City Hall, Mickey and Minnie house every year until we see real trees. But I don't think that will happen anytime soon. The artificial trees fit the theme and it looked like real trees during the old days.

I see Big Thunder Mountain Railroad on the refurbishment list on the Disney calendar for Nov. 16th. I haven't seen that closure anywhere else. Hopefully it is just a short closure for maintenance. Does anyone else know any more?

Ugh! Why are they having a re-furb on this ride in the middle of the busy season again? It was down 2 years ago too (for the big re-furb). Luckily we arrive on the 15th so hopefully we can get on it on Sunday....but still. Annoying. Raise the AP prices and close areas of the park. Grumble Grumble.

Ugh! Why are they having a re-furb on this ride in the middle of the busy season again? It was down 2 years ago too (for the big re-furb). Luckily we arrive on the 15th so hopefully we can get on it on Sunday....but still. Annoying. Raise the AP prices and close areas of the park. Grumble Grumble.
My girls will be hugely disappointed if it is closed our entire trip. One of their favorites. Hopefully it is just a little mini-refurb.

I sure hope it's a short one! We arrive on the 21st! It was down for so long a few years ago, I really hope they aren't doing anything extensive to it!

Sherry, I want to thank you once again for this super thread. I've always enjoyed it (and am looking forward to the Hallmark holiday movies starting 10/31!), but this year I've really needed it! Seeing everyone's pictures and sharing my own has helped me take a break from my grief and remember the good things in life! I am so excited for this trip!

Toontown of Yesteryear

I got info:::

WOC the second showing will be the Celebrate. Winter dreams will be the first one. You are supposed to be able to request what show you want.

So based on availability if you do a lunch you can ask for the second show.
Interesting. I still wonder if you will be able to get fastpasses to both shows on the same night. I guess only time will tell!

That reminds me that I have to check some other stores and see what the scoop is (no pun intended) on the Peppermint Wonderland ice cream.

I think now that we are in October it should be open season for holiday items to hit the shelves, even though they began sneaking in even before this month. There are still quite a few straggler Autumn/Halloween items popping up, even at this "late" stage of the game, and the holiday/Christmas goodies don't seem as abundant so far.

Oh! And then there is this bit of news -- while it is not holiday-oriented, you know how we were talking about the various flavors of Oreos a while back? Guess what is coming up? Filled Cupcake Oreos !!!!!! Here - http://consumerist.com/2015/10/02/unconfirmed-cupcake-flavored-oreos-are-coming/.

I saw the Peppermint Wonderland at Smart & Final. I think I saw it at a couple of other stores as well.

The overplanner in me is going completely nuts waiting for the park schedule for my dates! Ugh I am in need of major help in being patient! At least I got to make some dining reservations. Oh help me now!

Hehe, Me too... I just got our park hoppers last night, when I seen the annual pass changes I figured I my as well ensure we don't have to pay any more especially with our canadian $ being so low. We also bought our Universal Front of the line pass today so that is done. Now I have to wait!! I don't wait well haha.

All the photos are helping though, thank you everyone!!

More news
You can not swap out the seats of holiday parade for ptn on the tour. Just thought id try lol. Didn't work so now just hoping for a special dinner or something for seats at ptn or fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter