Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I so have to get to Disneyland at Halloween time someday. I considered it this year but then I think of Christmas and that wins out. Love all the pictures!!

If you have New Orleans Square pics or Haunted Mansion Holiday pics, those are good this week too!

Halloween Time is a lot of fun and I love it, but, in all honesty, Disney needs to build it up a bit more if they are going to sell it as a whole season. The level of detail and immersion that is involved for the holidays is incredible. They don't do quite as much for Halloween Time, and some of it is being removed. So, I think you made the right choice!

One of the things I most appreciate about Disney is the dedication to theming and details. What's interesting is that some wintry/holiday decorations do, indeed, begin to appear even before Halloween, as pointed out by sgrap above. A lot of people grumble and complain about that, but what they may not realize or notice is that Disney is integrating some of the holiday décor into the remaining days of Halloween Time in a way that makes sense, sort of.

I remember once talking to a CM, who said that they try to begin introducing certain holiday décor in a way that that will make sense with the story of Halloween or Fall transitioning into Winter and the holidays. They try to depict, for example, the changing of the seasons as snow begins to dust the Castle. In some parts of the world it is snowing by late October, so snow on a Castle would not be unheard of. (Of course, this year there won't be any snow on the Castle, sadly.)

Also, the décor that you see in New Orleans Square before 10/31 largely fits in with the real New Orleans celebration of Halloween, with beads and masks. The Mardi Gras masquerade masks usually stay up until Mardi Gras of the following year, but they go up before Halloween because masks make sense for Halloween!

The reality is that Disney needs to hustle to get all of the holiday décor up in time for the holiday season because there is only a short gap in between Halloween Time and the Holidays, but if they can do it in a way that helps tell the story of the transition from Fall to Winter, or in a way that makes thematic sense, I am all for it!
It was so fun to find these decorations had appeared magically overnight! pixiedust: I agree, it went nicely with the Halloween Time theme and did not detract from that holiday at all.

Photoshop caused most of my Disneyland 12-14 photos on my Mac to become corrupted so I can't do anything with them other than looking at the thumbnails of them. So I took a picture of them with my phone and downloaded them to the page. That's why I have some pictures that aren't the best quality.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
10407631_927177573979791_8865323008225319920_n.jpg

11040395_932137746817107_9072427891545775411_n.jpg

10410275_932137506817131_2994409767366400105_n.jpg

11069632_945078088856406_5946492646174429469_n.jpg

1797385_939241022773446_6150671422181845087_n.jpg

10984238_945078162189732_5808328440160659356_n.jpg

Let it begin! Let it begin!

It's not real until you have a picture of it.

PHXscuba

Somehow you read my mind. Just about 15 minutes ago I was thinking, "Oh, that's right -- I have to mention in the Superthread that I did not see any Peppermint Wonderland when I looked for it." But I signed off because I have to take care of some things for a bit, and was planning on signing back in and mentioning it later. Then I got an email alert and saw that you posted this! :lmao:

As I mentioned, I did not see Peppermint Wonderland at CVS when I was there over the weekend, and CVS usually seems to be one of the first stores in my area to get it. It could be that, perhaps, that particular CVS did not have it, but another one might have it in stock. It could be that other stores -- actual grocery stores -- might have it. I have not checked yet. It could be that CityTarget has it. I have not looked in enough places. CVS' "Limited Edition shelf" (where they put any and all LE flavors of Dreyer's) had no LE flavors of any kind -- not even Pumpkin -- so they may be awaiting a shipment... or they already sold out of EVERYTHING! :lmao:

In any case, I notice the new color scheme for the carton! It is no longer blue. This year's cartons have the same sort of color that they had in the old days. Let's hope the taste is the same.

And let's hope that the toothpaste-tastin' Slow Churned variety is better this year than it has been in prior years.

Somehow you read my mind. Just about 15 minutes ago I was thinking, "Oh, that's right -- I have to mention in the Superthread that I did not see any Peppermint Wonderland when I looked for it." But I signed off because I have to take care of some things for a bit, and was planning on signing back in and mentioning it later. Then I got an email alert and saw that you posted this! :lmao:

As I mentioned, I did not see Peppermint Wonderland at CVS when I was there over the weekend, and CVS usually seems to be one of the first stores in my area to get it. It could be that, perhaps, that particular CVS did not have it, but another one might have it in stock. It could be that other stores -- actual grocery stores -- might have it. I have not checked yet. It could be that CityTarget has it. I have not looked in enough places. CVS' "Limited Edition shelf" (where they put any and all LE flavors of Dreyer's) had no LE flavors of any kind -- not even Pumpkin -- so they may be awaiting a shipment... or they already sold out of EVERYTHING! :lmao:

In any case, I notice the new color scheme for the carton! It is no longer blue. This year's cartons have the same sort of color that they had in the old days. Let's hope the taste is the same.

And let's hope that the toothpaste-tastin' Slow Churned variety is better this year than it has been in prior years.

I should mention that this was at my Fry's/Kroger. I didn't see any of the Slow-Churned :crazy2: today.

PHXscuba

Adventureland is really the land that needs to be expanded, if we're being honest! :lmao: That land is gridlocked almost all day long. It needs to open up and get more spacious so people can move about more freely!

This is going to be a huge change, indeed. It was different when ToonTown was being built back in the early '90s, as it was located way back behind Fantasyland, in an area that no one was really going to anyway. And the Cars Land/Buena Vista Street expansion, while intrusive in DCA in terms of the construction walls and all of that, was largely welcomed because so many people felt that DCA was lacking anyway, and needed something more.

But a huge land in Disneyland -- an already jam-packed park -- that is wiping out an existing section of Frontierland and possibly impacting the RoA and DLRR, not to mention shutting down everything on the RoA for at least a year, is really quite significant and major.

Yeah...I know Disney doesn't care what I think, but they absolutely do not want to know. :sad2:

I JUST saw this link and looked earlier today and it wasn't up..now every time says NO availability. I just planned a Thanksgiving trip for us..( call me Annna or crazy) and I was hoping to get in on this.

I am hoping it just hasn't opened up for booking yet..but now I'll be sad LOL. Anyone know ? https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/disneyland-hotel-thanksgiving-dinner/

Edit : OOPS GUESS I SHOULD READ FIRST :) Someone posted they go live Tuesday the 29th!

I JUST saw this link and looked earlier today and it wasn't up..now every time says NO availability. I just planned a Thanksgiving trip for us..( call me Annna or crazy) and I was hoping to get in on this.

I am hoping it just hasn't opened up for booking yet..but now I'll be sad LOL. Anyone know ? https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/disneyland-hotel-thanksgiving-dinner/

Edit : OOPS GUESS I SHOULD READ FIRST :) Someone posted they go live Tuesday the 29th!

If things go how they should go, then tomorrow Pam Brandon from the Disney Parks Blog should be doing her annual Thanksgiving dining blog, with a pretty detailed rundown of the restaurants that will be having Thanksgiving meals. In fact, I was kind of surprised the blog did not go up today. Then again, I am still waiting on the Parks Blog to do a blog announcing the brand new Halloween Cake Tree in the GCH lobby this year, which has been in the GCH since last week, and they still have not done a blog. So, while Erin at the Blog got the holiday season dates to us earlier than she did last year, the other blog folks seem to be running behind schedule!

I just called the dining phone line and the recording says all Thanksgiving dining will be available for booking Tuesday, September 29th. I'm assuming that includes Goofy's kitchen, PCH dinner and the Disneyland Hotel Thanksgiving feast

If things go how they should go, then tomorrow Pam Brandon from the Disney Parks Blog should be doing her annual Thanksgiving dining blog, with a pretty detailed rundown of the restaurants that will be having Thanksgiving meals. In fact, I was kind of surprised the blog did not go up today. Then again, I am still waiting on the Parks Blog to do a blog announcing the brand new Halloween Cake Tree in the GCH lobby this year, which has been in the GCH since last week, and they still have not done a blog. So, while Erin at the Blog got the holiday season dates to us earlier than she did last year, the other blog folks seem to be running behind schedule!

Yeah I was searching everywhere wondering if it was possible THAT make reservations were booked , then I called the line myself and now the "Disneyland Hotel Thanksgiving" page is UP - but says no availability which freaked me out.
I know it's common to make the page live before booking..do you know if it's usually midnight pacific ior like wdw closer to 6am ? I really want to do the feast so I'm staying up for now lol.

I've never been to DL near or on thanksgiving so I figured..we have the weekend off..why not ? LOL. Then we fly back down the following Saturday for a week. I'm lucky my husband hasn't committed me yet for my crazyiness. :crazy:

Yeah I was searching everywhere wondering if it was possible THAT make reservations were booked , then I called the line myself and now the "Disneyland Hotel Thanksgiving" page is UP - but says no availability which freaked me out.
I know it's common to make the page live before booking..do you know if it's usually midnight pacific ior like wdw closer to 6am ? I really want to do the feast so I'm staying up for now lol.

I've never been to DL near or on thanksgiving so I figured..we have the weekend off..why not ? LOL. Then we fly back down the following Saturday for a week. I'm lucky my husband hasn't committed me yet for my crazyiness. :crazy:

I thought that the DLH feast had to be booked over the phone. I didn't think there was an online option for booking that specific meal. Maybe they are adding one in? The phone lines won't open until, I think, 7 a.m. PST (or is it 8 a.m.?). If an online option is going to be available for booking then it could go live anytime after midnight, but probably several hours later.

I thought that the DLH feast had to be booked over the phone. I didn't think there was an online option for booking that specific meal. Maybe they are adding one in? The phone lines won't open until, I think, 7 a.m. PST (or is it 8 a.m.?). If an online option is going to be available for booking then it could go live anytime after midnight, but probably several hours later.

Yeah maybe . I'll be on the phone at 7:59am anyway if that's the case LOL.

This was the link up tonight that wasn't up earlier so we'll see since it says you can book online !

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/disneyland-hotel-thanksgiving-dinner/

As of just before 6am PST was able to book the Disneyland Thanksgiving dinner online ! It must have just delayed in being put up. Very happy to grab a reservation :D
Hope this helps !

Last edited by a moderator:
I just booked our Thanksgiving feast at the Disneyland Hotel. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am:yay:
Coming from Australia, I am thankful for this wonderful opportunity. It's been a dream to experience Thanksgiving and now that dream will become a reality. I just cannot wait :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter