Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Countdown sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to see photos and read about the holidays while I plan our first holiday trip. We were in WDW and on the Disney Magic last December and I hope to make it an annual tradition to alternate coasts for the holidays from now on.

Wow, it's almost that time of year again. I'm not going to participate in the countdown this time. We are going to Walt Disney World in the end of October. Although it is a trip I am looking very much forward to, it makes me kind of sad seeing pictures from the Disneyland Resort. I hope we will back to California next year. Have fun everybody!

It is going to be a fun time, hotel booked, gate tickets in hand, flights booked (even upgraded to first class, the price was just too god to pass up), photopass ready to be purchased. Secretly planning candy cane purchases.... Yum fresh candy canes. Going to be the first kids free Disney vacation in 25 years.

Looking forward to following this! We have our trip booked for Nov. 21-26. Our original plan was to go for the 60th anniversary and then realized the holidays will be in full swing so we get a two for one. Can't wait! :)

The Countdown sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to see photos and read about the holidays while I plan our first holiday trip. We were in WDW and on the Disney Magic last December and I hope to make it an annual tradition to alternate coasts for the holidays from now on.

You will definitely be seeing a lot of photos. I have alerted the usual participants, as well as any new participants I am Facebook friends with, and there should be quite a few people contributing through the course of the Countdown. Usually, what happens is this thread is kind of quiet for the first half of the year or more, and then when the Countdown begins and really gets going there is a surge of activity. We can jump from 40,000 thread views at the start of the Countown to 140,000 views by the end of it.

Wow, it's almost that time of year again. I'm not going to participate in the countdown this time. We are going to Walt Disney World in the end of October. Although it is a trip I am looking very much forward to, it makes me kind of sad seeing pictures from the Disneyland Resort. I hope we will back to California next year. Have fun everybody!

Orbitron -

I'm so sad that you won't be participating in the Countdown this year! Your photos are so delightful, and I think you contributed to every theme last year too. Plus, you always have great photos to share when we get to the Holiday Cornucopia week as well. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip to WDW in October, but I do hope that you will come back to this thread at some point between August 10th and November 2nd and at least participate in one of the Theme Weeks. We can't have a Countdown without at least a couple of photos from Orbitron!

It is going to be a fun time, hotel booked, gate tickets in hand, flights booked (even upgraded to first class, the price was just too god to pass up), photopass ready to be purchased. Secretly planning candy cane purchases.... Yum fresh candy canes. Going to be the first kids free Disney vacation in 25 years.

I think you will have a great time - it will be different without the kids, of course, but hopefully very rewarding and fun!

Looking forward to following this! We have our trip booked for Nov. 21-26. Our original plan was to go for the 60th anniversary and then realized the holidays will be in full swing so we get a two for one. Can't wait! :)

You will, indeed, get the bonus of both the Diamond Celebration and the Holidays (and whatever this year's holiday season involves). You should even be there long enough to catch all the decorations at the 3 Disney hotels too, if they stick to the same decorating schedule they have followed for the last couple of years. The Christmas trees should be up in all the hotels by the time you arrive, but if the GCH is going to get assorted gingerbread houses again this year (both the large one in the lobby, as well as the smaller ones in the restaurants), those would probably be up on 11/26.

So, based on what I have found as far as a list (http://www.themouseforless.com/disn...-restaurant-menus/disneyland-christmas-menus/, which is from 2013), I think I would either go the full buffet route at Goofy's Kitchen, or maybe eat at Storytellers Cafe (which has a smaller buffet as well menu options) at the Grand Californian Hotel. Storytellers has a nice, cozy atmosphere and a wonderful, tabletop gingerbread house near the entrance.

Storyteller Café sounds like a cozy place to have Christmas dinner. We were thinking of finding somewhere to eat inside DL since we weren't sure if the park will hit capacity and we won't be able to get back in. But then, after spending a whole day with crowds, we might want to go somewhere with less crowds. Thanks for the idea :-)

So excited. I am even starting to wonder if I should take my laptop on vacation as I will be away for nearly three weeks in September and I have yet to figure out how to post photos from my iPad.

Corinna

I feel the same way - excited to share and to see others photos. I have all our Christmas/holiday photos on the computer but will be on vacation in 2 weeks time and was wondering how to contribute photos while we are in Hawaii. Plus, I haven't even sorted out all the photos that we took while we were there for the 60th to start my trip report. Just need more hours in the day! LOL

So does anyone have any vacation countdown apps (iPhone 6 holder) that they LOVE? I have one, but I hate having to open it to see the countdown. There used to be one that showed the number of days without opening it. Yes I am that lazy what of it? LOL No seriously, I just LOVE glancing at my phone and seeing the days go down! 123 days!!!

vDpghFo.png

I use Big Day Lite - You can set it to notify you each day of how many days are left. Not sure what the extras are in the pay version of the app, but I like it. YOu can set the background image and move the countdown around, etc.

Hi Sherry,
There has been a thread reactivated today regarding FP+ and magic bands for DLR. Has the testing started? Do you think this will be in place during our Dec. trip? What are your thoughts on this starting at DLR?

Hi Sherry,
There has been a thread reactivated today regarding FP+ and magic bands for DLR. Has the testing started? Do you think this will be in place during our Dec. trip? What are your thoughts on this starting at DLR?

I thought Disney announced that Magic Bands were NOT going to come to DLR? I don't mind either way.

Still no Candlelight dates!

Hi Sherry,

No testing yet, as far as I know. There are people who still say that Magic Bands and FP+ will come to DLR. There are other people who say that it won't happen. There are other people who say that one of those elements will come to Disneyland, but not the other one. All eyes and ears are currently on the upcoming D23 Expo, in hopes that some of the many rumors circulating about will be cleared up once and for all and that big announcements will be made.

I don't think we would see Magic Bands or FP+ this year, or by December. Maybe next year for FP+.

In some ways I wish that Disney would leave well enough alone and stop trying to make DLR like WDW, especially when DLR is still considered to be visited mostly by locals. People that I know -- who live close to DLR -- would not like FP+. It would be too complicated for them, and too much of a hassle. They like to just go to DLR for a few hours and get on whatever rides they are in the mood for and then leave -- they don't want to have to plan out the rides in advance, nor do they want to have to plan out their meals or anything either. At the same time, I can see a situation in which some locals might reserve a FP for a ride they like because they think they might be at the park on such and such a day (but then end up not going).

:santa::santa::santa:

Still no Candlelight dates as of August 6th!!

Let me explain again why it is odd that the dates are not up yet. It's not for the purpose of the general public to have the dates and see Candlelight -- we already know that Disneyland doesn't publicize/promote Candlelight as part of its holiday season activities, as it is really intended to just be a 'gift' of sorts to VIPs, Disney employees, Disney insiders, Club 33 members, etc. Because it takes place in the middle of Town Square other people find out about it, but it is not advertised in advance (with the exception of the year when it was extended to 20 nights).

The reason why it is odd that the dates are not showing yet (when last year they were up on the site I check during the week of July 21st) is because the choir directors and participants have to plan. This particular site lists certain events that are happening months in advance, so that participants and applicants can have time to get whatever they need together and then submit their applications.

I think this is how it all works (more or less):

Right now, the choir directors would ordinarily be rounding up their choirs and figuring out who was going to participate this year. Some of them would have to put together audition tapes, if I'm not mistaken. Then, by the very end of this month or the start of September (like probably 8/31 or 9/1), the different participants would begin sending in their applications and auditions to Disneyland. They have about one month to get their auditions and applications in, so the deadline would be at the end of September (next month).

I would assume that some of the returning performers may not have to audition, but the new applicants have to, I suppose, wait to find out if they have been selected. I don't know when they find out if they have been selected, but I would imagine that it's no later than the end of October -- probably much earlier. They'd have to start rehearsing and getting everything together almost immediately -- because there are many songs to sing during Candlelight, and a certain coordination is involved with the actual procession, and taking places on the stage, etc.

All of that has to be in tip top shape by the beginning of December, assuming Candlelight is taking place on 12/5 and 12/6. So, you can see, by the above breakdown on how it all comes together (roughly), why it is odd that the dates are not yet showing where they should be showing.

The performers usually rehearse in Tomorrowland (in the Magic Eye Theater), I was told. I don't know if they do it after hours or before the park opens -- I have no idea. But... if I am not mistaken, isn't that theater now closed (with no reopen date as of yet)??? It's possible something could be in the works for that theater in conjunction with the new "Star Wars" movie (like a preview or a premiere or something)... which may mean that the Candlelight folks need somewhere else to begin rehearsing and practicing in October and November.

Hmm... where else could they rehearse that is closed off from the public and has a stage? The Festival Arena in Frontierland (a.k.a. the area where the Halloween Carnival and the Jingle Jangle Jamboree would normally take place, but don't seem to be taking place this year)!!!

So, my guess is that the Festival Arena might be used for rehearsals this year. It's just a wild guess, but it makes sense because no one quite knows what is happening with the theater in Tomorrowland and if it is going to be part of the Star Wars hoopla coming in December.

Of course, whether or not I am right about the Candlelight folks needing to rehearse in Frontierland, that doesn't explain why the dates have not yet gone up on the site where they should have gone up, when time is clearly of the essence for a production such as the Candlelight Ceremony & Processional.

I don't think there is any way Candlelight would be skipped this year, but it could always be temporarily relocated for one year. :idea:

Last edited:
I have been so busy this week that I missed your Countdown announcement, Sherry! I will be going through my photos this weekend, so I will be ready for the first theme on Monday! I enjoyed the photos everyone shared last year prior to my first Holiday trip. I am happy that I can contribute some this year!

I have been so busy this week that I missed your Countdown announcement, Sherry! I will be going through my photos this weekend, so I will be ready for the first theme on Monday! I enjoyed the photos everyone shared last year prior to my first Holiday trip. I am happy that I can contribute some this year!

I wondered what happened to you, but I had a feeling that you must have been very busy if you missed the announcement both here and on Facebook!

Oh, and by the way, Tracy -- I may have to send you a message on Facebook about this, so as not to bore everyone here in the Christmas/Holiday thread -- but I've been picking up bits and pieces of info about a lot of the movies that are going to be part of this year's Countdown to Christmas bonanza on Hallmark... and did you know that Mariah Carey is going to be involved in a Christmas project for Hallmark?? :confused: Mariah Carey on Hallmark? I know that she supposedly loves Christmas (and loves Disneyland!), but I would think that Hallmark was small potatoes for someone of her caliber (and paycheck)!!! I know nothing about the project, other than that it is right now being called "Mariah Carey's Christmas Project." What could it be? Is she directing something? Is she acting in something? Singing?

I hope that Hallmark doesn't ruin the charm of the Countdown to Christmas movies as they are, by trying to lure in big celebrity names. I think that a lot of the charm is because the actors are not big names -- in some cases, they're not known at all.

Last edited:
I wondered what happened to you, but I had a feeling that you must have been very busy if you missed the announcement both here and on Facebook!

Sherry - is there also a facebook group for those going over the holidays? We had a group for June 2015 and it was so helpful for planning etc. Thanks!!

Sherry - is there also a facebook group for those going over the holidays? We had a group for June 2015 and it was so helpful for planning etc. Thanks!!

No. There's no Facebook group -- in fact I think we're trying to veer a bit away from promoting Facebook groups on this forum -- but I am Facebook friends with a lot of people from this board and am happy to add anyone as long as I know that they're from DISboards in some way! (I have gotten friend requests, and I couldn't tell who the people were, as it didn't seem like they were part of DISboards, nor did they have any mutual friends. :lmao:)

I have no clue how to post pictures on here but do have some from early December last year. I will try to join in. :)

Candlelight had best not be cancelled! I do still think perhaps with the 60th surge and also all that entailed to get going, perhaps regular events had taken a bit of a back seat and are just slower to get started. I also wonder if Disneyland is trying to line up more than one narrator for the CP this year and perhaps that is part of the delay as well.

Meantime, I sure would love some cooler December-like weather right about now! Time to turn my a/c back on!

Oh, and by the way, Tracy -- I may have to send you a message on Facebook about this, so as not to bore everyone here in the Christmas/Holiday thread -- but I've been picking up bits and pieces of info about a lot of the movies that are going to be part of this year's Countdown to Christmas bonanza on Hallmark... and did you know that Mariah Carey is going to be involved in a Christmas project for Hallmark?? :confused: Mariah Carey on Hallmark? I know that she supposedly loves Christmas (and loves Disneyland!), but I would think that Hallmark was small potatoes for someone of her caliber (and paycheck)!!! I know nothing about the project, other than that it is right now being called "Mariah Carey's Christmas Project." What could it be? Is she directing something? Is she acting in something? Singing?

I hope that Hallmark doesn't ruin the charm of the Countdown to Christmas movies as they are, by trying to lure in big celebrity names. I think that a lot of the charm is because the actors are not big names -- in some cases, they're not known at all.

Oh please share the Hallmark stuff on here! I'm so excited to have it this year (but of course I read that UVerse came to an agreement, so would have had it either way). I LOVE Mariah's Christmas album from long ago and listen to it every year when we decorate our tree, so even though I'm not overall a huge fan on hers, I'm excited about what this project might entail.

I have no clue how to post pictures on here but do have some from early December last year. I will try to join in. :)

Candlelight had best not be cancelled! I do still think perhaps with the 60th surge and also all that entailed to get going, perhaps regular events had taken a bit of a back seat and are just slower to get started. I also wonder if Disneyland is trying to line up more than one narrator for the CP this year and perhaps that is part of the delay as well.

Meantime, I sure would love some cooler December-like weather right about now! Time to turn my a/c back on!

Candlelight is not regular event, though, in that it's not something that is publicized and promoted as part of the Holiday Season. It's all handled behind the scenes and kept very hush hush. Because of the deadlines and all that goes into it (that I mentioned above), the choir directors and participants have to begin submitting applications and auditions by the end of this month or the beginning of September. They can't wait if the Ceremony is going to take place on the first weekend of December -- 60th anniversary or no 60th anniversary.

Disney already held auditions for A Christmas Fantasy Parade. They should absolutely have the Candlelight info sent out to choir directors by now. I know that a lot of times the choir directors get emails or letters from Disney, so perhaps they have been contacted that way. It could just be that Disney set up a private website -- accessible only to the Candlelight participants -- so that the general public (people like me! :lmao:) can't view the details, especially if there is something different happening this year (such as a different date, or a new rehearsal location).

The narrator choice wouldn't have anything to so with the process of selecting choirs and soloists, and sending in applications and auditions and all of that. That has to be started early.

Okay, for Jamie and Tracy I will post the Hallmark Countdown to Christmas stuff, so everyone else forgive me for the temporary diversion from Disney-related info...

Oh please share the Hallmark stuff on here! I'm so excited to have it this year (but of course I read that UVerse came to an agreement, so would have had it either way). I LOVE Mariah's Christmas album from long ago and listen to it every year when we decorate our tree, so even though I'm not overall a huge fan on hers, I'm excited about what this project might entail.

On the regular Hallmark Channel, some of the new Countdown to Christmas movies (and there are supposed to be 16 of them) will be:

"Family for Christmas" (with Lacey Chabert, which already debuted in July during the Christmas in July event)

"Just in Time for Christmas" (a Hallmark Hall of Fame presentation starring Eloise Mumford, who was in "Christmas With Holly")

"Northpole 2: Open for Christmas" (starring Hallmark favorites Lori Loughlin and Bailee Madison, and Hallmark newcomer Dermot Mulroney, of "My Best Friend's Wedding" fame)

"An Ice Sculpture Christmas" (about an ice sculpting competition, starring Hallmark fave Rachel Boston of "A Ring by Spring")

"'Tis the Season for Love" (starring Sarah Lancaster, another Hallmark favorite, from "Fir Crazy")

"On Time for Christmas" (formerly titled "A Christmas to Remember," starring Hallmark mega-favorite Candace Cameron Bure)

"Charming Christmas" (starring Julie Benz, of "Dexter" fame, as well as the Hallmark movie "Uncorked," and David Sutcliffe, from the Hallmark movies "The Wish List" and "Before You Say I Do," as well as the film, "Under the Tuscan Sun")

"Crown for Christmas" (starring new Hallmark fave, Danica McKellar)

Also possibly slated for the Hallmark Channel (subject to change), but very little is known:

"The Secret Life of Mrs. Claus" (no one knows who is starring in this one)

"Christmas Neverending" (the title of this one may change)

"Better than Perfect" (title may change)

"The Ultimate Legacy" (this movie completes the trilogy that includes "The Ultimate Gift," with Abigail Breslin, and "The Ultimate Life")

"Mariah Carey's Christmas Project" -- No one knows what this is about.

And there are other movies yet to be announced, including whatever is going to premiere during Thanksgiving week (there will be 5 brand new movies premiering during the week of Thanksgiving).

Now... over on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel. we have:

"Debbie Macomber's Dashing Through the Snow" (which, hopefully, will be better than last year's "Mr. Miracle")

Karen Kingsbury's "The Bridge" (no one knows anything about this one)

"The Christmas Note" (no one knows about this either)

"The Magic Stocking" (nope -- no info on this one either)

"Murder, She Baked: A Plum Pudding Mystery" (with Cameron Mathison of "The Christmas Ornament" and "All My Children," and Alison Sweeney)

I also noticed that Hallmark is putting out TWO Halloween or Fall-themed movies scheduled for October this year:

"Harvest Moon" (starring Jessy Schram -- who is she? Also starring Jesse Hutch, from "Let it Snow" and "Cedar Cove"!!!)

"Temporarily Yours" (starring Ashley Williams, who was in a really cute Lifetime Christmas movie in 2013, called "Christmas in the City")

That's all I know for now! Oh, and there will be a new non-holiday movie starring Kellie Martin -- star of "The Christmas Ornament" -- debuting on the Movies & Mysteries channel next month, called "Hello, It's Me."

Last edited:
Thank You, Sherry!!! I appreciate the Hallmark schedule! I hope the new ones this year, are better than last year!
I do like Cameron Mathison as you know! :) and Dermotte Mulroney..... not sure about Mariah Carey!

--Lori

Thank you! Looks like my DVR will be busy, especially over Thanksgiving week when we're in Disneyland. Do the onsite hotels get Hallmark by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter