• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am SOOO EXCITED!! I paid off my trip with my Disney Visa (debit card) so all I have to do now is totally obsess over all the details! I'll be going December 6-10 staying at Paradise Pier in a premier resort view room with my awesome BF! December seems so faaaaar away!!!

We are going December 7-11 and staying at PPH! I just yesterday took the plunge and changed our reservations from off site to on site. I just couldn't stop obsessing about staying onsite....I can't wait.

By the way -- just wanted to point out that the Candlelight Ceremony/Processional dates have still not appeared in the place where I check for them each year (and I would have expected them to show up last week). I mentioned here a couple of days ago that it probably means nothing, and that there has just been a delay in updating the site with the expected 12/5 and 12/6 dates. However, there is a tiny chance that it could also mean something -- a change in dates, extra dates added in, a change in venue, or something else that is causing the delay. It could be that IF there is a change of some sort, Disney doesn't want to put it in the same place where it can be viewed by anyone, and not just Candlelight performers.

So, we shall see what happens...

:santa::santa:

We are going December 7-11 and staying at PPH! I just yesterday took the plunge and changed our reservations from off site to on site. I just couldn't stop obsessing about staying onsite....I can't wait.

PPH is my go-to onsite hotel for that same time frame in December. I have stayed at the GCH during the holidays before, and many, many years ago (before the remodel) I stayed at the DLH during the holidays for a few years. But in recent years, it's been PPH!

Now that we are back from our hot summer trip to DL, we are gearing up for our Christmas trip! I have only been to DL once in the summer of 1990 and DD has never been so we thought that we would visit during July since hours are longer and weather is nicer. But we commented how we miss all the Christmas decorations and trees! :santa: Some of the places where the usual Christmas decorations are were filled with people ... we prefer the decorations! LOL

Now that we are back from our hot summer trip to DL, we are gearing up for our Christmas trip! I have only been to DL once in the summer of 1990 and DD has never been so we thought that we would visit during July since hours are longer and weather is nicer. But we commented how we miss all the Christmas decorations and trees! :santa: Some of the places where the usual Christmas decorations are were filled with people ... we prefer the decorations! LOL

I am no fan of summer, as you know (I am vocal about it on Facebook as well as here! :lmao:), but I used to mainly go to DLR in the summer years and years ago. Every year I'd do a summer trip, despite getting terrible sunburns and getting ill in the heat. I loved walking behind the old waterfalls at the Disneyland Hotel and getting sprayed with the mist! However, at some point or another -- in the mid-'90s -- I realized that the holiday season was much more to my liking! Not only was the weather more reasonable (for me), but there were pretty things to look at, and all kinds of Christmas trees, treats and Christmas music. The holidays have only developed since then, with more themed decorations in more lands, and Haunted Mansion Holiday and all of that.

I don't know what this year's holiday season will look like in terms of decor, but I think it will be a little more developed than what Halloween Time is looking like it's going to be this year.

I am no fan of summer, as you know (I am vocal about it on Facebook as well as here! :lmao:), but I used to mainly go to DLR in the summer years and years ago. Every year I'd do a summer trip, despite getting terrible sunburns and getting ill in the heat. I loved walking behind the old waterfalls at the Disneyland Hotel and getting sprayed with the mist! However, at some point or another -- in the mid-'90s -- I realized that the holiday season was much more to my liking! Not only was the weather more reasonable (for me), but there were pretty things to look at, and all kinds of Christmas trees, treats and Christmas music. The holidays have only developed since then, with more themed decorations in more lands, and Haunted Mansion Holiday and all of that.

I don't know what this year's holiday season will look like in terms of decor, but I think it will be a little more developed than what Halloween Time is looking like it's going to be this year.

We were also commenting on how tall the PTN Frozen float was so guess the Main Street garlands will not be put up. Because of the theme weeks that you do, we paid more attention to our surroundings last year for our photo taking so when we were there last week, we just realized how much we liked those Christmas decorations! We love Christmas so combined that with Disneyland, we are like little kids in a candy store!

We were also commenting on how tall the PTN Frozen float was so guess the Main Street garlands will not be put up. Because of the theme weeks that you do, we paid more attention to our surroundings last year for our photo taking so when we were there last week, we just realized how much we liked those Christmas decorations! We love Christmas so combined that with Disneyland, we are like little kids in a candy store!

Yes -- the float in PtN is too tall, and it is expected that the usual garland will not be hanging over Main Street. The Enhancement Team may have figured out some sort of alternative, though. Maybe they have something else they can put up that won't be suspended over Main Street, but will distract us from noticing that the garland is missing! :lmao: Of course, this is all under the assumption that Paint the Night is going to run nightly through the remainder of the year -- which I'm certain it will. If, for some odd reason, PtN did not continue through the holidays, which is a long shot, then the garland could go up as usual.

It will be interesting -- and a little scary -- to see how much Disney is willing to pare down the holiday offerings. They are willing to reduce the Halloween Time offerings -- which are slim to begin with. So that means they could go even further and cut back in a lot of areas for the holiday season (thinking that no one will miss certain things). Or it could mean that they still recognize that the holiday season at DLR is very special -- and a big money-maker for DLR -- and leave most things intact. I don't trust them though. You wouldn't expect, for example, that the Mardi Gras masks in New Orleans Square would have any effect on the 60th anniversary, nor would the rustic decor in Frontierland. But it concerns me that the Halloween Carnival is most likely not happening this year, and the Jingle Jangle Jamboree will probably not be back. So it makes me wonder how many other areas are going to be cut back.

I am thankful for how it cools off at night. Days are heating up out here in SoCal. :(

Excited at Candlelight and Christmas thoughts. Maybe because official 60th did just happen, everything else is slower to come. I thank you Sherry so much for all your hard work in this thread. I read somewhere I look forward to finding out some Christmassy info. I am still holding out hope of an expanded Candlelight. We shall see :santa:

I hope they have they JJJ? I really enjoyed that when I was there a few years ago, loved seeing the Country Jamboree Bears and having my picture taken with them!

I am thankful for how it cools off at night. Days are heating up out here in SoCal. :(

Excited at Candlelight and Christmas thoughts. Maybe because official 60th did just happen, everything else is slower to come. I thank you Sherry so much for all your hard work in this thread. I read somewhere I look forward to finding out some Christmassy info. I am still holding out hope of an expanded Candlelight. We shall see :santa:

You're welcome, and thank you for the kind words! :goodvibes:

The days are heating up, indeed. We have not even seen the worst of the summer heat, unfortunately. It will only climb and get more ridiculous in August and September. And it's been humid a lot more often too! Ick! I remember last year. It didn't even remotely begin to feel a little bit like fall until Halloween! I think it was a little bit breezy, and it had either recently rained or was going to rain soon. The air felt lighter all of a sudden -- like the summer had finally drifted away. I remember thinking to myself, "Well, what convenient timing this is, that fall finally decides to show up on Halloween." But when November got here, I was waiting for those extra crisp early mornings -- the mornings that have made me get up and say "Brrr... time to finally close the window." I have experienced them in November before, and last year they were slow to arrive -- probably because it didn't even begin to feel slightly close to fall until 10/31, and the cold morning air that should have been there in November was delayed!

I keep hoping that somehow, some way, Candlelight will be extended again, just for this special anniversary year. It wouldn't be 20 nights again, but just more than 2 nights!

I hope they have they JJJ? I really enjoyed that when I was there a few years ago, loved seeing the Country Jamboree Bears and having my picture taken with them!

I hope so too!

I would have never even considered that JJJ could be on the chopping block until all signs began to point to the Halloween Carnival not taking place this year. And then I looked into it, only to be told that Santa Claus is supposedly going to be back in his log cabin this year -- which means he will not be at his outdoor photo spot at the Jingle Jangle Jamboree... which then makes me think there will be no JJJ. There is no reason that I can think of why Disney would not want to have the Halloween Carnival as usual, or the JJJ. It doesn't seem like either event would interfere with the 60th anniversary at all. The only thing I can think of is that Disney might need the space for something else -- maybe not anything that we would get to enjoy, but like storage or whatever. Maybe they are going to use it as a rehearsal area. I know that the Candlelight Ceremony performers rehearse in Tomorrowland as a rule. If there are other plans for wherever they rehearse in Tomorrowland, perhaps they are going to rehearse at the festival area that would ordinarily be devoted to the Halloween Carnival and the Jingle Jangle Jamboree. :confused:

We are going December 19-27, staying at GCH. We normally go in August but decided it's time to try Christmas now that the kids are older. Anxiously waiting for more information from Disney so we can start planning :tigger:

We are going December 19-27, staying at GCH. We normally go in August but decided it's time to try Christmas now that the kids are older. Anxiously waiting for more information from Disney so we can start planning :tigger:

It sounds like you have a wonderful trip coming up! There is something extra special about staying at the GCH during the holidays --going downstairs to find Santa Claus by the tree, or Dickens carolers singing and taking requests, or listening to the pianist play Christmas songs from one of the upper floors. Not to mention being greeted by the smell of gingerbread in the lobby, assuming that there is a new gingerbread creation there this year!! I think you chose wisely -- it's finally time for a holiday trip!

Of course, any info that trickles out in the next month or so will probably be discovered in some other way, as I don't expect Disney to announce the holiday season dates or tell us anything good until mid-September. :rolleyes:

I am thoroughly enjoying my summer, but it is hard to wait for the holiday details come out!! We had to cancel our trip last year, so we are extra excited about this year! I really want to see that GCH gingerbread house. We will be there from Dec. 16th through the 23rd. We'll have to take a day off because those darn hoppers are only good for five days. But, that will give our feet a break. Thank you, Sherry, for all of your hard work. Can you light a fire under those DLR execs to get the news out?

I am thoroughly enjoying my summer, but it is hard to wait for the holiday details come out!! We had to cancel our trip last year, so we are extra excited about this year! I really want to see that GCH gingerbread house. We will be there from Dec. 16th through the 23rd. We'll have to take a day off because those darn hoppers are only good for five days. But, that will give our feet a break. Thank you, Sherry, for all of your hard work. Can you light a fire under those DLR execs to get the news out?

Well, hello, and welcome back, lucysmom! :wave: It's good to see you here for another year of holiday fun! You came back just in time, as I will be announcing the Fifth Annual Theme Week Countdown details in the next couple of days! :banana: Thank you, also, for the kind words!

I vividly remember that you had to cancel the trip last year -- it was due to an unexpected health/dental bill, correct? Let's hope that this year's trip will happen without any sudden bumps in the road!

Your day off can be a day to roam around Downtown Disney and the different hotels, checking out the trees and decorations. I hope that the GCH will have another gingerbread house this year. For the last month or two there has been a rice crispy Castle "cake" in the lobby, but it cannot possibly sit there for another 4 months. Surely they have to put another gingerbread creation there.

Then again, the focus this year seems to be heavily concentrated on the 60th anniversary and all the pageantry and nostalgia that go with it. I would not be surprised -- though I will be disappointed -- if a lot of the expected holiday decorations in the different lands are scaled back. I really hope not, because I love the immersion that the holiday season offers, with trees and wreaths in every shop and restaurant, and themed décor in both parks. It looks as though the Jingle Jangle Jamboree could possibly not come back, which is unfortunate, but Santa will supposedly be back in his little cabin instead of out in the Festival location where the Jamboree was held.

I wish I could bribe, pay off or otherwise coax Disney to reveal all the details to us now -- or at least the basics -- but I think we will end up waiting until September to get the official word on when the holiday season officially begins. :rolleyes: They have STILL not put up the Candlelight Ceremony dates in the place where I usually check for them, and those dates should have been up last week! Those Candlelight dates have to go up so that the choir directors and performers can sign up, begin to prepare, rehearse, etc. Disney also took forever to tell us the Halloween Time and Mickey's Halloween party dates too.

The only thing I know for sure -- officially -- is that auditions were just held for the Christmas Fantasy Parade. So that means it will be back in some capacity, probably as a daytime-only parade (Paint the Night will continue to run at night, I suspect). I am 99.9% certain that Believe in Holiday Magic Fireworks will not happen this year (Disneyland Forever will run for the rest of the year). Haunted Mansion Holiday will be back, with the Hatbox Ghost in place! It's a Small World is expected to be back.

Other than that -- everything is up in the air and a mystery!

Yes -- the float in PtN is too tall, and it is expected that the usual garland will not be hanging over Main Street. The Enhancement Team may have figured out some sort of alternative, though. Maybe they have something else they can put up that won't be suspended over Main Street, but will distract us from noticing that the garland is missing! :lmao: Of course, this is all under the assumption that Paint the Night is going to run nightly through the remainder of the year -- which I'm certain it will. If, for some odd reason, PtN did not continue through the holidays, which is a long shot, then the garland could go up as usual.

It will be interesting -- and a little scary -- to see how much Disney is willing to pare down the holiday offerings. They are willing to reduce the Halloween Time offerings -- which are slim to begin with. So that means they could go even further and cut back in a lot of areas for the holiday season (thinking that no one will miss certain things). Or it could mean that they still recognize that the holiday season at DLR is very special -- and a big money-maker for DLR -- and leave most things intact. I don't trust them though. You wouldn't expect, for example, that the Mardi Gras masks in New Orleans Square would have any effect on the 60th anniversary, nor would the rustic decor in Frontierland. But it concerns me that the Halloween Carnival is most likely not happening this year, and the Jingle Jangle Jamboree will probably not be back. So it makes me wonder how many other areas are going to be cut back.
I love the garland at Christmas. I am sure whatever they do will still be magical!!

I am hoping that if they do scale back on some decorations in the park, that they will then have time to get the hotel decorations up earlier. The way i figure it, they will have more time on their hands since they won't be busy working to get the castle ready etc, so they can get the rest done earlier!

But it concerns me that the Halloween Carnival is most likely not happening this year, and the Jingle Jangle Jamboree will probably not be back. So it makes me wonder how many other areas are going to be cut back.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

This makes me very unhappy. We are APs for the first time this year, and I was so looking forward to going at Christmastime again. We loved the JJJ a couple years ago and spent many hours back there with our girls. I feel like the 60th is a lot less special than I thought (really only offering two nighttime entertainment shows which are stressful to try to see) and it's cutting out so many things we enjoy. :( Kinda wishing I had waited to pull the AP card until another year (DH isn't likely to spend the money for them again anytime soon).

No Garland! Gosh, almost happy I will not be there for my annual trip over Thanksgiving! I will miss this!!

Thanksgiving20201320I-Phone20066.jpg

Why no JJJ?????????? I LOVE that area, and the character interaction back there cannot be beat!

Again, happy I made the choice to go during off season this year!!!

--Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no Candlelight dates in the place where I normally find them!

Why no JJJ?????????? I LOVE that area, and the character interaction back there cannot be beat!

Again, happy I made the choice to go during off season this year!!!

--Lori

It's not definite that the JJJ will be gone, but seeing that all signs are pointing to no Halloween Carnival in that specific Festival area of Frontierland this year, and seeing that Santa Claus is supposedly moving back into his log cabin for photos (the little cabin, as you may recall, is not actually part of the JJJ but on the outside of it, in the area that used to be called Santa's Reindeer Round-Up), I am inclined to think that the JJJ won't happen either. But we shall see.

My guess -- and this is just pure speculation -- is that the space is needed for something else this year, and it would be too disruptive to have a Halloween Carnival there or a Jingle Jangle Jamboree. I am thinking that Disney needs the space for something that we won't be privy to -- maybe storage, or rehearsals, or some such thing.

I think that the Holiday Season is "big" enough to where it could probably withstand the loss of the JJJ (IF that happens)... as long as Santa still has a place to greet guests in DL, and as long as the characters are still out and about somewhere in their winter sweaters! The cookie decorating could even be moved elsewhere for this year. The entertainment has been lacking since Billy Hill and the Hillbillies left, so that's not a big loss.

The question is, how many more of the seasonal offerings are going to disappear this year? No holiday fireworks and possibly no JJJ... but are the themed decorations in each land going to be pared down too? Will the Castle even look like a "Winter Castle" this year?

The Halloween Time season, however, really cannot afford to lose anything. The offerings are slim to begin with, and to remove the Halloween Carnival strips away one of the only Halloween-specific things that people can enjoy in the daytime if they choose to not go to MHP. I keep hoping that Disney has a surprise in store, and is planning to move the Carnival over to DCA or something (DCA sorely needs some Halloween décor), but I don't think that the Carnival is going to happen in the Festival location this year -- at least, that is what it is looking like.

Bummer, because I would have the 11th, to see the Carnival, and the Pumpkin sculptures.
I guess the goats get a nice long vacay!

--Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter