Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry - I don't have time to read through this entire thread and see if anything was previously posted on this subject.

My cousins have danced in the Christmas Parade in the past few years, and were going to be filmed for the TV version again this winter. This year, however, they are being told there is no Christmas Parade. They were told they will be going to dance on stage for a show there on the normal recording weekend, but there is not a parade to be filmed in this year.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it is what is going around. Will they just film at WDW and show stage shows/musical performances from the Land on Christmas?

Is the 60th stuff going to be year-round?

Wow. We've all been concerned there might not be a Christmas parade. But this is the first report that goes past mere speculation and reading between the lines.

Thanks for posting that. We're teetering back and forth between Christmas and Halloween, and this might help give us a nudge.

I just can't imagine the parks will feel as Christmasy without that parade at least once a day.

So my husband just agreed to a short trip to DL on the week leading up to Christmas. We've taken the kids twice in the summer, but this time it will just be us! Hoping to focus on restaurants, shows, and just enjoying the atmosphere. So I'll be looking at this board often! Thanks for all the info!

You're very welcome! Thank you for joining us! :) Welcome aboard! :santa:

I'm sorry - I don't have time to read through this entire thread and see if anything was previously posted on this subject.

My cousins have danced in the Christmas Parade in the past few years, and were going to be filmed for the TV version again this winter. This year, however, they are being told there is no Christmas Parade. They were told they will be going to dance on stage for a show there on the normal recording weekend, but there is not a parade to be filmed in this year.

Take this with a grain of salt, but it is what is going around. Will they just film at WDW and show stage shows/musical performances from the Land on Christmas?

Is the 60th stuff going to be year-round?

Yes -- 60th stuff all year long!

First of all, thank you so, so much for confirming this and letting us know! :worship: I really appreciate it. It was something we kind of already knew (about the lack of a Christmas parade), and it was already announced by Steve Davison and other Disney folks back in January that there would be no holiday shows this year -- to focus on the events of the 60th anniversary -- so we assumed that included the parade as well. MiceChat also said that there would be no Christmas parade this year, confirming what Steve Davison said. (The Christmas parade was not taped for ABC last year, either, by the way -- instead they shot other footage at DLR and did a whole "Frozen" thing.)

The only thing that left us uncertain about the Christmas parade was that another site (AllEars) reported that the Christmas parade would be happening in the daytime, and we wondered if it could be included with the Holiday tour, as usual. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, it was pretty much assumed that there would be no Christmas parade in 2015.

And, finally... No one is asking anyone to read the whole thread :lmao: -- in fact, I have a heading in the very first post on page 1 of this thread that says, "You don't have to read the whole thread"! :lmao: For some reason, people think they can't or shouldn't post without carefully going through every page. Bottom line -- just jump into the thread! If you're unsure of whether or not something has been discussed, feel free to ask -- or just bring up the subject anyway (as you did, which we appreciate :goodvibes:)! No one is going to flame anyone here for talking about the holiday season events, even if they have already been mentioned/discussed. There are new people tuning into these threads all the time, and they, too, have not read all of the pages -- so it never hurts to reiterate or recap something that we have talked about in the past.

Wow. We've all been concerned there might not be a Christmas parade. But this is the first report that goes past mere speculation and reading between the lines.

Thanks for posting that. We're teetering back and forth between Christmas and Halloween, and this might help give us a nudge.

I just can't imagine the parks will feel as Christmasy without that parade at least once a day.

Steve Davison -- of Disney -- said that there would be no holiday shows this year. That was more than speculation. And MiceChat posted that there would be no Christmas parade this year, supporting what Steve had said.

I think that where it all got murky and speculative was in the second guessing of what was already stated -- wondering if, maybe, there would be an exception made for the daytime, and wondering if a daytime Christmas parade would be running for the Holiday tour.

Also, it didn't help matters any that in a blog on AllEars, the writer stated that the Christmas Fantasy Parade would be happening in the daytime -- directly contradicting MiceChat's report! :lmao: Conflicting info!

But, yes, this is the first time we have specifically heard the statement made about the parade only, separate from the other holiday stuff.

It's going to be "all 60th, all the time" as they said at the press conference back in January. No holiday fireworks, no Christmas parade, no holiday World of Color. I wish they would increase the Candlelight nights!

Steve Davison -- of Disney -- said that there would be no holiday shows this year. That was more than speculation. And MiceChat posted that there would be no Christmas parade this year, supporting what Steve had said.

I think that where it all got murky and speculative was in the second guessing of what was already stated -- wondering if, maybe, there would be an exception made for the daytime, and wondering if a daytime Christmas parade would be running for the Holiday tour.

Also, it didn't help matters any that in a blog on AllEars, the writer stated that the Christmas Fantasy Parade would be happening in the daytime -- directly contradicting MiceChat's report! :lmao: Conflicting info!

But, yes, this is the first time we have specifically heard the statement made about the parade only, separate from the other holiday stuff.

It's going to be "all 60th, all the time" as they said at the press conference back in January. No holiday fireworks, no Christmas parade, no holiday World of Color. I wish they would increase the Candlelight nights!

Sorry Sherry, I guess that's what I get for popping back and forth between the Christmas and Halloween threads.

Thanks for recapping.

I don't care as much about the fireworks, because there will be a fireworks show of some sort, and just between you and me....... it's all the same to me. I can't tell one fireworks show from another! But the parade? That really made the Christmas season come together at DL. It just wouldn't be the same without it. I think I just assumed they would do it during the day and the new one at night.

Aren't they continuing the regular daytime parade up until then? Or is that gone too? It seems odd to think there might just be no daytime parade that time of year.

Sorry Sherry, I guess that's what I get for popping back and forth between the Christmas and Halloween threads.

Thanks for recapping.

I don't care as much about the fireworks, because there will be a fireworks show of some sort, and just between you and me....... it's all the same to me. I can't tell one fireworks show from another! But the parade? That really made the Christmas season come together at DL. It just wouldn't be the same without it. I think I just assumed they would do it during the day and the new one at night.

Aren't they continuing the regular daytime parade up until then? Or is that gone too? It seems odd to think there might just be no daytime parade that time of year.

No problem! :lmao: I have to remember which thread I am in most of the time too, so who knows what I have even posted in which thread?!

I've actually never been a big fireworks fan -- although Halloween Screams is cool, and I like the snow at the end of Believe...in Holiday Magic. I like looking at them in photos more than I do seeing them in person!

It now seems like all signs are pointing to Soundsational being the parade that runs in the daytime -- I guess for the entire rest of the year?

It will feel odd not to have a Christmas parade -- it seems like there should be one, and it does seem like a lot of holiday entertainment is being wiped out all in one swoop due to the events of the 60th! I know that the 60th is a big deal, but the holiday season is a big deal too -- and a lot of people (who don't follow DISboards or other discussion forums) will probably not even really be all that aware of what's happening for the 60th. They may not even care. They will simply go to DLR wanting to enjoy the holiday season festivities. So -- 60th anniversary and all -- I hope that there is still enough 'holiday' left in the holiday season! I know that the Christmas star will likely return to the top of the Matterhorn, and hopefully it will be a glorious sight to behold, but... is that enough??

This is why the Halloween Party -- in my mind -- is so up in the air. I know that it is hard for some folks to imagine it back at DCA -- without the Halloween Screams fireworks and without the short little Cavalcade -- but... is Disney realllllllllly going to take at least 14 nights (probably more) to have a party in Disneyland, preventing people from seeing Paint the Night? They can't charge extra for MHP tickets, using PTN as a selling point, when it will be running for the general public all year long.

And some of those MHP nights will be Fridays and at least one Saturday -- nights that regular guests could be watching the new Disneyland Forever fireworks. I can't imagine MHP not moving back to DCA this year, honestly -- and yet, there don't seem to be any brand new, recent rumors to indicate that it's happening. The last rumors about it were late last year. It just seems that MHP (in Disneyland) is going to interrupt the flow of the new 60th anniversary events in some way or another.

I sure wish we knew for sure what the holidays will look like this year. I'm planning to go for the first time during the Christmas season in early December. I know I'll love it no matter what, but there are certain holiday touches I was looking forward to. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the anniversary offerings too. I guess missing the Christmas parade won't bother me as much, but I really really want to see the holiday overlays on the rides.

I know this year is different, but in years past, how early could you typically expect to see a holiday schedule of some sort for the Christmas season? I've been wanting to go during the Christmas season for quite a while and had finally decided this is the year.

I sure wish we knew for sure what the holidays will look like this year. I'm planning to go for the first time during the Christmas season in early December. I know I'll love it no matter what, but there are certain holiday touches I was looking forward to. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the anniversary offerings too. I guess missing the Christmas parade won't bother me as much, but I really really want to see the holiday overlays on the rides.

I know this year is different, but in years past, how early could you typically expect to see a holiday schedule of some sort for the Christmas season? I've been wanting to go during the Christmas season for quite a while and had finally decided this is the year.

I wish we knew too! I think that that the 2 major ride overlays will be back -- I am pretty certain that both It's a Small World Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday will be running. They were both running during the 50th anniversary year, if I recall correctly, so I think they will be running again. As for Jingle Cruise (the newest in the holiday overlay group)... I guess it will be back for a 3rd year. I don't see why they couldn't bring it back.

I am hoping that Viva Navidad is back in DCA for its 3rd year too.

I am going to guess that there will not be the usual Winter Castle Enchantment Lighting in DL, which is a tradition. Since the Castle is going to be decked out in Diamond-themed décor, we can only hope that it sparkles and shimmers at night. But I don't think we will have the standard icicle lights that are usually there every holiday season.

And beyond those things, in my mind I am thinking about certain areas of the parks that are normally done up in themed décor. If the Diamond-themed décor is too prominent all over DL, I don't know if it could interfere with some of the usual holiday décor in those spots -- but I hope not.

As for a schedule of some kind -- well, as you know, Disneyland is notoriously slow in releasing schedules and calendars and details of special events. Their website's calendar might not have anything updated as far as a schedule until 6 weeks out, or less. The holiday season's official start and end dates might not be announced until September! :faint: If something massive or major is happening during the holiday season, then they might deem it worthy of an early Parks Blog -- so we might hear of any major news in July or August. If everything is business as usual, then they won't tell us anything until late in the summer, just before Halloween Time begins.

In this post, you can get a sense of when certain things began in both 2014 and 2013 -- http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...iting-details-for-2015.3358217/#post-52730324

I'll update it with more 2015 info when it comes in.

Of course, this year will be different in some ways, as you said, but that is a general guideline of when to expect things like park decorations, candy canes, hotel decorations, the ice rink and Winter Village in DTD, etc.

I think that early December will be a safe time to go to be able to see/experience whatever is going to be happening for the holidays. I don't think you'll miss anything.

:santa::santa::santa:

Sherry, it really seems almost too easy to me to now assume they will "give back" the Christmas stuff next year in a hard ticket party. I have to think if they were starting this year, they would still need the dancers for a parade.

But only time will tell............ popcorn::

We were planning to take the Holiday tour this year. One of the draws was special seating for the Holiday parade.
I wonder if they will have special seating for Soundsational or even better, Paint the Night.
I hate not knowing LOL

The more I read about Christmas this year at Disneyland the louder I hear the voice in my head saying maybe this year is not a good idea. Over the years that I have been to Disneyland I have always dreamed about seeing and experiencing it at Christmas time. This year was going to be the year but I am now getting concerned that it is going to be more a 60th feel than a Christmas feel. I want the full experience as this will be the only time we will get to this at this time of the year. As we are flying in from overseas I need to start making some decisions in regard to air lines ect. i am thinking that maybe due to this I might be better off seeing WDW at Christmas although I do prefer Disneyland. With some extra juggling I could fly into Orlando and home from LAX. Has any one got an idea of when they take down the holiday backdrop on Its a Small World? I don't need an exact date but a general idea. We will be flying home probably around the 12th of Jan. Thanks for all your help

The more I read about Christmas this year at Disneyland the louder I hear the voice in my head saying maybe this year is not a good idea. Over the years that I have been to Disneyland I have always dreamed about seeing and experiencing it at Christmas time. This year was going to be the year but I am now getting concerned that it is going to be more a 60th feel than a Christmas feel. I want the full experience as this will be the only time we will get to this at this time of the year. As we are flying in from overseas I need to start making some decisions in regard to air lines ect. i am thinking that maybe due to this I might be better off seeing WDW at Christmas although I do prefer Disneyland. With some extra juggling I could fly into Orlando and home from LAX. Has any one got an idea of when they take down the holiday backdrop on Its a Small World? I don't need an exact date but a general idea. We will be flying home probably around the 12th of Jan. Thanks for all your help

It's a Small World Holiday usually closes soon after Martin Luther King Day for the holiday overlay removal. If I recall correctly (and hopefully figment_jii can correct me if I'm wrong), I think that the last day for IASWH this past holiday season was January 25, 2015. Also, Haunted Mansion Holiday stayed open a few days longer than usual as well, but it closed first, before IASWH. They are usually not closed at the same time.

I know what you mean -- the 60th anniversary things are nice, and I'm sure it will all be spectacular, but the reality is that some people will not care too much about that aspect of Disneyland Resort and will just want a good holiday season experience. The holidays are normally a huge deal at DLR -- I would certainly hope they wouldn't overshadow the seasonal merriment too much to showcase all of the Diamond Anniversary things. There has to be a good balance of holiday and 60th! It is possible that they could have some special plans in store for the holidays -- surprises that we may have no idea about right now. They could add in little pop-up, one-day events or some sort of a party. They could add in some extra holiday things to DCA. It's hard to say. But the usual holiday entertainment is certainly taking a big hit this year, and it will probably end up as a paid party exclusive in 2016 or 2017!

I had the same worry for a little while, I love Disneyland at Christmas and was worried it would be 'spoilt' without the parade and with all the 60th Anniversary celebrations. But then I remembered how beautifully they did DCA and how much I loved the Buena Vista st decorations, I also had a look back on my photos from the 50th at Christmas and it was done up for both then so can't see why they wouldn't this year. Sure I'm disappointed there'll be no holiday parade or Christmas lights on the castle but I can't wait to see the castle all lit up with diamonds and the Paint the Night parade looks awesome! I guess part of my worry is I'm bringing mum for her first visit and she is so looking forward to seeing the holiday decorations, but I know she'll love it anyway and I'm just projecting my own concerns.

I had the same worry for a little while, I love Disneyland at Christmas and was worried it would be 'spoilt' without the parade and with all the 60th Anniversary celebrations. But then I remembered how beautifully they did DCA and how much I loved the Buena Vista st decorations, I also had a look back on my photos from the 50th at Christmas and it was done up for both then so can't see why they wouldn't this year. Sure I'm disappointed there'll be no holiday parade or Christmas lights on the castle but I can't wait to see the castle all lit up with diamonds and the Paint the Night parade looks awesome! I guess part of my worry is I'm bringing mum for her first visit and she is so looking forward to seeing the holiday decorations, but I know she'll love it anyway and I'm just projecting my own concerns.
That is how I feel about it . . . our only other Christmas time trip to DLR was during the 50th, and we loved it. Whatever is going on, it will be amazing!!! I can't wait!!!

Thanks for your very informative thread!

I have been going to WDW every year at holiday time since 1997, and I decided to return again this year. However, I have never been to Disneyland when it's decorated for Christmas, so I may do both this December! :teeth: When I was last at Disneyland in late April/early May 2014 (when it was hot, hot, hot!), I felt that my 5-day ticket was longer than necessary. However, with both 60th anniversary and Christmas events going on, I think I'll want 5 days there.

I'll look forward to reading about the holiday details as they become available!

We were planning to take the Holiday tour this year. One of the draws was special seating for the Holiday parade.
I wonder if they will have special seating for Soundsational or even better, Paint the Night.
I hate not knowing LOL

I am with you on this one. We have never been to DLR during the Christmas season and are going to take the Holiday Tour this year when we go. I would gladly pay for reserved seating for every parade and fireworks too, if they had the option. We have done the reserved seating for Fantasmic and it was great. Looking forward to the tour on it's own though. We took the Halloween Haunts Tour a few years ago and loved it!

It never fails, I sit in my parade 'spot' on the curb for hours before the parade and someone comes along minutes before it starts and asks me to squeeze over, or worse - tries to push me out of my spot so they can take it, or shoves their kids in front of me. Drives me nuts. But I am one of those people that will stand my ground and not move. If my four kids want to see the parade, I make them wait with me. I do not hold their spots for them so they can go on rides with dad while I wait (of course bathroom breaks are different). Bums in the seat or its gone I tell them! ;) So reserved seats for the parade will make everyone happy! Especially my husband who thinks waiting for the parade is a waste of time, but he has stuck it out with me once or twice. lol

Last edited:
Joining up to read and learn about all of the possible holiday happenings going on this year!

We don't have any trips planned *yet*!

Last year, we visited over the Veterans weekend and it was perfect! The kids had Tuesday off of school so they only missed one day of school (Monday). This year, they have Wednesday off of school....so not sure if we will be able to do 2 days off of school.

Sherry - These threads are so fun and never fail to get me in a Disney mood! Thank you!!

we are spending a month in Cali with the last 12 days at Disney, starting the 30th December, and I am petrified of the crowd situation.
this is our 5 or 6th time to DL but never across Xmas. Anyone give me some comfort that it's still enjoyable? figure that the first 3 or 4 days will be super crowded but after that it should die off a little towards our last few days of our stay? we will have 10 day passes. Excited to be there at Xmas but worried just the same.

After New Years, it dies off, considerably. In fact, that first week in January is one of our favorite times to go- still plenty of Christmas cheer, but dramatically fewer crowds. And between Dec 30th and January 2nd, just breathe in the happy crowds and festive feel and don't stress over what you might not be able to do- you'll have PLENTY of time to do everything after the crowds die down, so just really soak up the atmosphere and enjoy :)

Does It's A Small World have fast passes over the Christmas season? I know that it does not normally have them but was wondering if that changed when they do the overlays. Thanks for your help.

As of last Christmas, no, they do not. However, even if the line is extra long, it moves really quickly and everyone is Christmas-happy :)

We have been there the last 2 Decembers and no FP on IASWH.

We were happy to find FP on Haunted Mansion Holiday last year though after waiting through that crazy long line a couple times in 2013........ big life improvement. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter