Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the DCA location has a larger capacity (does it have multiple rooms? Could they have multiple pairs of A&Es meeting?) so they wanted to put them over there. Maybe it has better crowd areas (the current M&G area has a mostly outdoor queue).

Unless they are doing MAJOR remodeling of that little room, I do not think it is large enough for more than the original 2 sisters. :crowded: It would be really crowded in there if they had multiples!

Unless they are doing MAJOR remodeling of that little room, I do not think it is large enough for more than the original 2 sisters. :crowded: It would be really crowded in there if they had multiples!

I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the conversion of parts of the Animation Building (are the other parts remaining the same - the Animation class, Turtle Talk w/Crush, etc.?). I know there were multiple rooms in that whole building, so it could have been possible that they would have used more than one for A&E. Still, it makes sense to only have one set of A&Es meeting at any one given time in roughly the same location (although, multiple Mickey used to/still meet at his house - you just can't see more than one at a time), so they would only need one room.

I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the conversion of parts of the Animation Building (are the other parts remaining the same - the Animation class, Turtle Talk w/Crush, etc.?). I know there were multiple rooms in that whole building, so it could have been possible that they would have used more than one for A&E. Still, it makes sense to only have one set of A&Es meeting at any one given time in roughly the same location (although, multiple Mickey used to/still meet at his house - you just can't see more than one at a time), so they would only need one room.

OK! Now I understand what you meant. :) I think Crush will still be there. The animation class is going to draw Frozen characters. If I remember correctly, they are going to use the path toward the "which character are you", sing in the cartoons, etc. for the line. But, I have my mother's memory, so I could be wrong. :faint:

Our bags are mostly packed and we leave the day-after-tomorrow very early in the morning to fly down to spend the week at Disneyland with a group of 10: my family of 4 and our best friends, a family of 6. I have to admit it that my stress level is pretty high. I know the parks are going to be really crowded and usually at this point I have pretty detailed, written-out plans for touring the parks. But the details of how we're going to spit up into a variety of groups is just escaping me. I don't want to waste all of our time negotiating after every ride, so I still haven't figured out how to do this. The group has appointed me "cruise director" and I've made every single plan for the trip, this is the last detail I need to work out.

I think I'm just feeling unprepared and freaked by the expected crowd levels. I've been to Disneyland literally dozens of times, but never at anything like these crowd levels or with a group this size.

Our bags are mostly packed and we leave the day-after-tomorrow very early in the morning to fly down to spend the week at Disneyland with a group of 10: my family of 4 and our best friends, a family of 6. I have to admit it that my stress level is pretty high. I know the parks are going to be really crowded and usually at this point I have pretty detailed, written-out plans for touring the parks. But the details of how we're going to spit up into a variety of groups is just escaping me. I don't want to waste all of our time negotiating after every ride, so I still haven't figured out how to do this. The group has appointed me "cruise director" and I've made every single plan for the trip, this is the last detail I need to work out.

I think I'm just feeling unprepared and freaked by the expected crowd levels. I've been to Disneyland literally dozens of times, but never at anything like these crowd levels or with a group this size.

Sounds like you're up for the challenge! With a big group like that and I imagine varied interests you may want to set meet up times. "We're planning lunch at Flo's at 12:30. See you there!" Judicious use of texting will help too.

Although I do have a fun visual in my head of you holding up a little flag as tour guide as you navigate through the parks in a crowd.....:santa:

Sounds like you're up for the challenge! With a big group like that and I imagine varied interests you may want to set meet up times. "We're planning lunch at Flo's at 12:30. See you there!" Judicious use of texting will help too. Although I do have a fun visual in my head of you holding up a little flag as tour guide as you navigate through the parks in a crowd.....:santa:

Frantically scans to-do list: do I havre time to make a flag today? I just might?

Thank you for the dose of humor. It's exactly what I needed this morning after my mid-night freakout. I think you're right about splitting up and texting.

Watching Christmas at Cartwright. I really like the actress Alicia Witt so I looked into other movies she is in. I found out there is a snowglobe follow up. I love the Snowglobe movie, it seems right out of my imagination. One of the few Christmas movies I keep on the DVR year after year. The new one is Snowglobe Christmas on lifetime. It came out in 2013 so I am just a year behind. It will tape Tuesday can not wait!

Currently in DCA

I have a fastpass for "character closeup" and I got a fastpass to meet olaf! At first no fastpasses for Olaf with hour long wait then a Cast member started passing them out. I'll take photos of the greets and post them when I get home

Anna and Elsa had FP machines

Currently in DCA

I have a fastpass for "character closeup" and I got a fastpass to meet olaf! At first no fastpasses for Olaf with hour long wait then a Cast member started passing them out. I'll take photos of the greets and post them when I get home

Anna and Elsa had FP machines

Thanks for the update. Sounds like an improvement to be sure. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures with Olaf. :goodvibes

DisKH --

Thank you for the update from DCA! Please check in with us again, and let us know what else is going on. Supposedly, the Freeze the Night dance party may begin tonight in Hollywood Land, so I will be curious to hear how that goes.

I look forward to seeing your photos with Olaf!

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Watching Christmas at Cartwright. I really like the actress Alicia Witt so I looked into other movies she is in. I found out there is a snowglobe follow up. I love the Snowglobe movie, it seems right out of my imagination. One of the few Christmas movies I keep on the DVR year after year. The new one is Snowglobe Christmas on lifetime. It came out in 2013 so I am just a year behind. It will tape Tuesday can not wait!

DisneylandPlanner --

I really enjoyed Christmas at Cartwright's!

A Snow Globe Christmas isn't a follow-up to Snowglobe, surprisingly. The 2 movies share one specific actress and the general premise of living in a snow globe-type of town, but they are unrelated.

In the past, I have mentioned A Snow Globe Christmas as being one of my favorites (of the movies that didn't air on Hallmark, but that are similar in tone). I even got the DVD for it, but I had not actually watched the movie since the holiday season of 2013. So I was watching it again a week or so ago, and -- while I love, love, love the idea of living in a snow globe world as a concept for a TV movie, I had totally forgotten that there is a section of the movie (sort of in the second half, or third quarter of it, I guess) that kind of drags and veers into a subplot I didn't care about (with the forest and the land and all of that). If not for that whole subplot with the mayor or whoever he was, I would like it even more.

Still, though, I like Alicia Witt in the TV movies she does, and the whole 'living in a snow globe concept,' so I'm glad I got the Snow Globe Christmas DVD.

Speaking of Alicia Witt, I was just watching A Very Merry Mix-Up a little earlier this morning. This is a good "Hallmark Christmas movie day" for me, as they are knocking out a bunch of my personal favorites. Angels and Ornaments was on first, and then A Very Merry Mix-Up. Snow Bride is on in 20 minutes, and The Christmas Ornament is on later tonight!:love: I love all of those movies, and I never get tired of them -- in fact, I might even like them more with each viewing!

As I was watching A Very Merry Mix-Up for the 500th time this morning, I was thinking "This is actually a really good story!" Sure, it's implausible in many ways, and there are ways that the "mix-up" in the title could have been avoided early on -- but putting all of that logic aside, it's a clever, charming story, with the little fable about the clockmaker woven into it. There was no real bad guy in the movie -- sure, the fiancé is not the best choice for Alicia's character, and his family is not the right family for her, but he is not a terrible person. Still, though, she knows that he is not the one she is destined to be with... and she walks in the rain (because "love walks through the rain," as they tell us), which turns into snow, to be with her true love. It's so good!

Next up: Snow Bride and The Christmas Ornament!:cool1:

The last few days of this Hallmark Countdown to Christmas (leading up to New Years Eve) are going to be tricky for me, as they will be competing with a Breaking Bad marathon and the annual Twilight Zone marathon for my time. There is so much good TV on right around the New Year!

Interesting about a Snowglobe Christmas. I still look forward to seeing it, but that is an interesting character selection, if they aren't connected. But living in a Snowglobe sounds so fun.

As I was watching A Very Merry Mix-Up for the 500th time this morning, I was thinking "This is actually a really good story!" Sure, it's implausible in many ways, and there are ways that the "mix-up" in the title could have been avoided early on -- but putting all of that logic aside, it's a clever, charming story, with the little fable about the clockmaker woven into it. There was no real bad guy in the movie -- sure, the fiancé is not the best choice for Alicia's character, and his family is not the right family for her, but he is not a terrible person. Still, though, she knows that he is not the one she is destined to be with... and she walks in the rain (because "love walks through the rain," as they tell us), which turns into snow, to be with her true love. It's so good!

This is what I loved about it also. Great movie! I did enjoy Christmas at Cartwrights also. On to cookie cutter Christmas next.

Mini Trip Review-

This was my first holiday trip, and my first trip to DLR since 1980. It was my husband, Jack's first visit ever.

We have been to WDW numerous times, since we lived in Ohio and it was easier to get there. We moved to Arizona five years ago and finally made it over to DLR the first weekend in December.

It was just my husband and I. Our three boys are in their 20's and still live in Ohio, so it was an adults only trip.

Hotel
We stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It was perfectly adequate for everything we needed. The walk to DLR was easy. The beds were comfortable. Since we always stayed on property when visiting WDW, this seems a bit strange and it lacked a little bit of the magic. Next year I think we will stay on property at DLR to see if that makes a difference. Like I said there was nothing really wrong with the hotel, it just lacked something for us.

DLR Overall
We LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the close proximity of everything. Being able to walk back and forth to the parks and DD was amazing. Jack could not get over how quickly we could get to everything. We did not miss taking buses to the parks like at WDW. The Christmas decorations, music and overall feeling was the best. It is the best place to get into the Holiday spirit!

Disneyland
I was afraid that Jack wouldn't think that DL would match up to the Magic Kingdom in WDW. I shouldn't have worried. We both loved it! Pirates is so much better at DL. The holiday overlays at Small World, HM and Jingle Cruise are fantastic! In fairness, Jack hated HM with the NBC overlay. I liked it, even though I hated the movie. We did not do any of the night time shows or fireworks this trip. It was not a priority for us, but will be next trip. I thought the castle, while not as big as WDW, was just as charming. We didn't spend as much time as we would have liked in DL due to the CP that was happening that weekend. Next trip will be in mid November to avoid that. The setup looked beautiful but the crowds were crazy! The most crazy line we saw was for the Frozen meet and greet. I can't believe how long that line was and I was glad I didn't have a little one dying to see Anna and Elsa.

California Adventures
We loved this park. Carsland was amazing! The details were so great. I loved just looking at everything. We rode RSR after dark and it was so cool. Tried to do it during the day, but it didn't work out. We love TSM and headed there early. We got in three rides during our short trip. It is our favorite. Soarin is another favorite of ours and we were lucky enough to ride twice both time in the front row. We drew Minnie in the Animation building, which was first for us. It was so much fun. Our favorite place to be was Buena Vista Street. I personally loved the decorations. The musical groups that perform throughout the day were so good. The Bell Ringers (not sure of the their exact name) were my favorite.
I could see where Frozen was starting to take over. We almost couldn't find Monsters University due to all the closed down places and construction.

Downtown Disney
I am not a huge shopper, so it didn't have as much interest for me. We did go into World of Disney to pick up a couple of things and we walked around a bit. It was pretty all decorated for Christmas.

Holiday Tour
We went on this tour on a Friday at 2:50. Our guide, Alex, was good, although a few times he seemed a little unsure of himself. Being able to ride SW, HM and JC without waiting was so nice. I thought SW was wonderful. When we rode that I had a memory of riding with my late Auntie Maude from England way back when I was 16. She marveled at the ride and spoke of it many, many times. She was not one to pass a compliment easily, so it really made an impact on her. That was without the holiday overlay. I could only imagine how much she would have loved it now. JC was cute and corny. Right up my alley. :) As I said before Jack did not like HM at all. The seats at the parade were so nice! After all the walking and dodging through the crowds to stay together with the group, the seats were a welcome sight. The parade was so cute. I really enjoyed it. The hot chocolate and gingerbread Mickey were so good! The pin is really nice too. I paid $68 (with Disney Visa discount) and I felt it was worth the price. I am not sure I would do it every time though.

Disney Hotels
We only made over to Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. DH is very nice. We had seen the real gingerbread house at the GC first, so the fake one in DH was underwhelming. The GC was amazing. It is so beautifully decorated and welcoming. I could sit in those comfy chairs for hours. I wish we had been there when Santa was there.

Conclusion
We loved DLR, possibly a bit more than WDW. We saw and did so many things, but we missed so many things too! We are planning on going back next year with a different set of priorities. Just to name a couple, nighttime shows and fireworks, more pictures with holiday characters (we only got one with Daisy) and a picture with Santa! :santa:

DLR lived up to all the holiday magic I had imagined. I can't wait to go again. In the meantime, I need to learn to take better pictures! I was not happy with a lot of them I took. Hopefully I can salvage a few to contribute to next years thread!

I can't thank everyone on this board enough for all the information. It really helped make our trip that much more magical!

Wonderful report and just the last few years we have had now TWO wife and hubby getaways to both Disney Resorts. DL is our favorite hands down. Glad you had a good time and are already preparing for another!!! We are hoping the kids will want to go with us next summer for the 60 Anniversary celebration.

Hoping things will slow down here in the next few days now that the kids are out of school. I watched a Christmas Shepherd yesterday and really liked it. I loved A Very Merry Mix-Up (not sure if I mentioned watching it before). I think it might be my favorite. I've enjoyed them all, except for Cookie Cutter Christmas, which as I mentioned before, just totally missed the mark for me. I still have some on the DVR, but I think the only new ones are Christmas Parade and The Best Christmas Party Ever. With DH back to work on Monday and I'm sure the kids sleeping in, I hope to watch the rest of what I have DVRd while I wrap presents!

Hoping things will slow down here in the next few days now that the kids are out of school. I watched a Christmas Shepherd yesterday and really liked it. I loved A Very Merry Mix-Up (not sure if I mentioned watching it before). I think it might be my favorite. I've enjoyed them all, except for Cookie Cutter Christmas, which as I mentioned before, just totally missed the mark for me. I still have some on the DVR, but I think the only new ones are Christmas Parade and The Best Christmas Party Ever. With DH back to work on Monday and I'm sure the kids sleeping in, I hope to watch the rest of what I have DVRd while I wrap presents!

Jamie --

I'm not sure if you missed my reply to you on the 15th with the recommendations of what to try to catch -- HERE.

Did you record Naughty or Nice (with Hilarie Burton) ... or did you record Naughty & Nice (with Haylie Duff)? Your list said Naughty & Nice. They are two different movies, but the first one is good and the second one isn't! The Hilarie Burton movie is the good one. Skip the Haylie Duff movie.

Jamie --

I'm not sure if you missed my reply to you on the 15th with the recommendations of what to try to catch -- HERE.

Did you record Naughty or Nice (with Hilarie Burton) ... or did you record Naughty & Nice (with Haylie Duff)? Your list said Naughty & Nice. They are two different movies, but the first one is good and the second one isn't! The Hilarie Burton movie is the good one. Skip the Haylie Duff movie.

The Naughty or Nice with Hilarie Burton is really cute! I didn't care for the Haylie Duff one either!

Wonderful report and just the last few years we have had now TWO wife and hubby getaways to both Disney Resorts. DL is our favorite hands down. Glad you had a good time and are already preparing for another!!! We are hoping the kids will want to go with us next summer for the 60 Anniversary celebration.

Thanks Mike! We do enjoy our adults only trips, but it a bit better when one or all of the kids join us!

I swung by this afternoon (wanted to avoid the early madness) and was not super impressed. Olaf was out with an extensive line, not sure how long since I had no desire to meet him, but he was outside his building...eventually he'll be inside, right? The Sing Along was not opened, and Wandering Oakens was just the old Monster's merch booth re themed. The stage was very underwhelming, but many CMs have said how impressive it will look at night. The drinks seemed interesting, multiple options for both alcoholic and non, including a piña colada which I'm excited about. There is also a Snowman Lemonaide...yellow snow anyone?

FP for the A&E meet and greet was just past the entrance to the animation building and surprisingly still available at 230 when we walked by (with a 930pm return time...so the very tail end). Inside the animation building they have the "character close up" and it looks very well done, from what I could see from the lobby plus pictures that I've seen from inside. There are also two sets like PFF so they can see twice as many guests and without having to close early in FL they can greet all the way until closing time. The regular video loop on the screens was the same, they didn't even add a frozen segment. The character sketch location does have an added sign of Olaf and "do you want to draw a snowman" that is all lit up, which detracts from the screens, IMO, and unnecessary. Also Off the Page has a large frozen section...more the collectable items but still...could they have not left all that stuff in frozen land?

Freeze the night was for sure happening tonight but I did not stay around for it. I'm did hear from a CM that Marshmellow makes quite the entrance at the beginning and then is there for meet and greets all night! That I can get on board with! Hopefully it's true...I can't wait to see pictures of it!

We have been back from our 5 night holiday trip for a couple days now. We had a great time. We have been to DLR three times now in December (once every few years) and I think this was the best time we've had.

Stayed in a Studio at GCV with a fabulous view of Paradise Pier. Lobby gingerbread house was very pretty nicely detailed but having seen the one at Grand Floridian a couple of times it really would have been more impressive if they had been able to follow through with the original plan of selling the goodies from inside the house itself. Either way I enjoyed the spiked apple cider, yum.

We did the Holiday Tour which was great. Only bummer was the parade being rained out despite it not having rained for three hours and the pavement being dry. Our tour guide said it was likely they had sent the cast home when they cancelled the earlier parade (when it had rained for a bit). We did still get hot chocolate and Mickey gingerbread and a seat for the 45 second character cavalcade they use as a replacement. Hahaha, please, just skip it Disney.

We had the new Fantasmic package for Hungry Bear on the 15th which I believe was the third night it was available. This worked out well for us. First, the desserts were great. I'm thinking its sponsored by Ghiradelli b/c it was heavy on the chocolate. But I am a chocolate person so it worked for me. Second, we got great spots to sit (on the ground, of course) in the Hungry Bear section which is just to the left of the Blue Bayou section. This was a big time saver and we enjoyed the dessert party so, totally worth it for us.

First time for our group experiencing Radiator Springs. Wow. I was really worried it wouldn't live up to the hype but it so did. I think RSR is my new favorite ride. Worth the trip cross country just for that (we live in the Boston area). All my fellow WDW vet friends are jealous ;)

We really loved Viva Navidad (first time seeing it). Such talented performers and great music choices. And we got pics with the Three Caballeros, woo hoo. Our 8 year old was thrilled (so was I ;) Thanks to those of you who suggested standing between Jumpin Jellyfish and the Bayside Brews. Perfect spot to see Donald, Jose and Panchito. Plus they sell Sangria at the beer stand :)

I confirmed that California Screamin' is my fave Disney coaster. Its so smooth, fast. While I really enjoy Rock n' Rollercoaster at the Studios in WDW it seems like it last two seconds compared to Screamin'.

Can't get enough of Haunted Mansion Holiday. We rode three times. Also love Small World Holiday. Jingle Cruise was so much better this year (rode at WDW last year). My favorite joke is at the piranha area. I don't want to ruin it for those of you who haven't ridden yet.

Favorite food/dining experiences include breakfast at Storytellers (they have Waldorf salad!), candy cane (still the best candy cane ever and worth the effort), Matterhorn macaroon (mmmmm), peppermint stick ice cream in a crushed candy cane waffle cone (we have peppermint stick ice cream year round in New England but its somehow still better in DL) and churro bites (omg how are they even better than full sized churros?!).

Anyway, there's a bazillion other things we did and really liked too but these were the highlights.

Thank you so much, Sherry, for your tireless effort on this thread. My trip was a huge success in no small part to all the detailed information you provide. It is greatly appreciated!

The Naughty or Nice with Hilarie Burton is really cute! I didn't care for the Haylie Duff one either!

Tracy --

I can't even believe that the Countdown to Christmas movie marathon is ending in 11 days! Even though, as I mentioned earlier today, the last few days of the marathon begin to get chaotic for me, as there are other marathons that I want to watch and I am haphazardly switching all over the place, back and forth between channels -- it will be so sad when it ends!

It looks as if Hallmark is trying to step up their non-Christmas movies and make them more of an 'event' to viewers who are going through Countdown to Christmas withdrawal. They've got a bunch of new Valentine's Day/love-themed movies in January and February (including Surprised By Love, with Hilarie Burton of Naughty or Nice and Paul Campbell of Window Wonderland), and Bridal Wave (with Arielle Kebbel and Andrew, both from A Bride for Christmas).

And, there will be at least a couple of new Mother's Day movies this year too -- one of which is starring Candace Cameron Bure! Still, though, they don't quite fill the void left behind when the Countdown to Christmas ends! Even when a few of the movies in the Countdown are not that good, I still love the marathon!

Rob Morrow was not only a poor choice for the role of Mr. Miracle -- and that's not to say that he is a bad actor, but I just wasn't sure what he was trying to do with the character -- but I did not give two hoots about the girl and her boyfriend. Why was I supposed to care about them? Christmas at Cartwright's would have worked fine as a Mr. Miracle storyline, but I guess there were different writers for each movie.

Anyway... about your DLR trip. :woohoo::cool: Thank you so much for giving the review -- I was especially interested in your trip because of the fact that you hadn't been to Disneyland in so long! I'm glad it was a success for you!

You said you are planning to return in mid-November next year, and will try to stay onsite. Keep in mind that, in mid-November, the hotels might possibly not be decorated yet (meaning no Santa at the hotels, and no giant gingerbread house). Santa won't show up at the hotels until Thanksgiving and beyond (same with the hotel carolers), but the Christmas trees may or may not go up early. At the earliest they'd probably go up about 9 days before Thanksgiving, but the GCH gingerbread house may not be up until after that.

The hotel holiday atmosphere may not make a difference to you, but just in case it does then you would want to be there at a time when the hotels are definitely in full holiday mode.

Also, remember that the crowds in the parks were not just due to Candlelight -- the crowds were worse because of those other events taking place (RaverDay and the pharmacists' Midyear Meeting). Those events were new to that particular weekend, but they may not repeat in 2015.

This is the thread for next year! I had to switch to a new thread earlier than I had planned because we hit the page limit in the old one, but this one will be the 2015 thread for as long as it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter