Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a rare day off & decided to make this my solo day. At first I was worried about the rain, but not a drop fell onto the ground! :cool1:

Here's my chronological summary of my wonderful day!

I made onto the freeway at 0658, but got lots of traffic. I parked at the Chip and Dale lot at 0744.

As soon as I entered the park, I decided to take a photo with Minnie! She was so cute, but I have to say that her short stature made me look soooo tall (I'm only 5' 4 1/2"). The family in front of me took forever and then a man shoved his son even though the CM told him there was a line!

I was going to take a picture at the Walt & Mickey statue w/the castle in the background, but that slow family was at the end of the line. No, thank you! I got this photo instead.

Instead, I went straight for Space Mountain. It said 10 minute wait. The walk and finishing the ride was 7 minutes! I got the front row. I last rode this in July & this time seemed extremely dark. Too dark for my taste.

Star Tours had a 5 minute wait, but I repeated the ride because it was the last scenario as July. So the 2nd time was also another repeated scenario from July! I lined up at 0825 and finished the 2nd round by 0850.

I went to Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom. It said 10 minutes and I actually stepped off the ride in 12 minutes!

I walked onto POTC by 0915 and got off the boat at 0935.

I went to the Haunted Mansion merchandise store & found the Haunted Mansion hostess shirt that had run out earlier in the fall. I snatched it & paid immediately. :cheer2: DH has the male version of the shirt! Sorry that the photo is blurry.

I went to the Mint Julep Bar and ordered a 3 pack of their Pumpkin Beignets. I was so excited because I had just heard of the pumpkin version & couldn't wait. Positives: Love the powdered sugar mountain and the smell. Negatives: Couldn't use AP discount. Although it was delicious, I think I'd try something else next time as a snack. I've heard about the pumpkin creme brulee at Jolly Holiday.

BTMRR: Said 10 minutes, but wait & actual ride was 10 minutes! When I got off the ride, I noticed they changed it to a 5 minute wait.

I headed toward Main Street & did window shopping. I noticed that Main Street was looking busy with a lot of people coming into Disneyland. By now, the sky was sunny.

I did a little more window shopping in Buena Vista Street (sorry, but as you can tell, I love me some shopping).

Look who I saw at Paradise Pier!

I went to TSMM, but it had a 45 minute wait. I went on California Screamin by 1056 & was off the ride by 1102. I went to TOT & it said 20 minute wait, but I sat down by 10 minutes! I did more window shopping at Art of the Page (next to Disney Junior) and made it to my 11:30 reservation time for lunch at Carthay Circle!!! :hyper:

I was seated by 10 minutes. Eating here is such a splurge and I really craved having an adult meal. However, I saw a mother come with her DD about 9 years old & I really missed DD (I actually teared up). Overall, I had a wonderful meal. I took my time and never felt rushed. I ordered a Blue Hawaiian cocktail, the cheddar fried biscuits with the apricot butter (they could bottle that butter & I'd buy it on the spot) & the firecracker duck wings as my entree. I love those biscuits & ate all of them! :laughing: But then my stomach felt so heavy (I think it was too much cheese & butter) so I only ate 3 wings. I waited then later ordered the chocolate turnover w/housemade marshmallow & Carthay Theater popcorn ice cream. I had to order it for the ice cream alone! It sounds so weird, but tastes ultra yummy! :cloud9:

I finally left the restaurant and arrived at RSR's single rider line at 1:31 and got on the ride in 20 minutes.

I headed over to Soarin' Over California's single rider and would have been seated in another 5 minutes, but it broke down. They offered everyone anytime FP's but I was leaving soon so I left.

So what's a girl to do? Shop, of course!!!! :rotfl2::lmao: I went to DTD and GCH. I was in line for the tram by 3:31 & left in a tram by 3:38. I left the car space by 3:46 & headed home.

Some topic discussions: :offtopic:
PANDORA: the selection is so limited now. You'd be extremely lucky to find anything. I looked at Main Street, Elias & Co., Acorn Gifts (I think that's the name of the gift shop at GCH), & World of Disney. I actually snagged the last blue 2015 glass bead.

Hope you enjoyed my miniTR! :santa: :love:

LOVED your TR! And I LOVE your Pandora bracelet! I was able to pick up the bracelet with the Castle clasp and the Sorcerer Hat on my recent trip.

I went to the Mint Julep Bar and ordered a 3 pack of their Pumpkin Beignets. I was so excited because I had just heard of the pumpkin version & couldn't wait. Positives: Love the powdered sugar mountain and the smell. Negatives: Couldn't use AP discount. Although it was delicious, I think I'd try something else next time as a snack. I've heard about the pumpkin creme brulee at Jolly Holiday.

http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/ajoaquinrn/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps127a6164.jpg.html
http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/ajoaquinrn/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps127a6164.jpg.html

LOVED your TR! And I LOVE your Pandora bracelet! I was able to pick up the bracelet with the Castle clasp and the Sorcerer Hat on my recent trip.

Thanks, Kristan! I've been looking for the sorcerer's hat since it's release in the parks. I had an opportunity before to get it online at disneystore.com. I had no idea it was going to be so popular...congratulations on getting one!!! :thumbsup2

I am a bit of the traditionalist when it comes to Christmas songs. My favourite is O Sanctissima, but I also love Silent Night and O Come All Ye Faithful. The only Christmas song that I really love that is not traditional is Chante, C'Est Noël from the Disneyland Paris Christmas parade.

Corinna

Spiritually-based song is:

Silent Night-this song makes me cry my father passed away 20+ years ago and this song was playing in the background, I can not hear it without remembering him.

Of the childhood classics, my favorites are:

Frosty the Snowman & Jingle Bells

I also love songs in the "Novelty" category:

and yes my favorite is Grandma Got Run Over by a Raindeer!

It would actually be hard for me to find a Christmas Song I do not like, I am one of those people that listens to Christmas music from November 1st until Christmas:goodvibes

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to DLR. It was a lot of fun and it was interesting to see what had changed since mid-November. I had posted some quick notes back in post #118, but now, it's time to post photos!

Gingerbread Houses at the GCH - I went to check out the three houses at the GCH. It was fun to see the different sizes and scopes of the houses.

Whitewater Snacks - this one is right at the entrance to the food service area. It's cute, with some fun details.
DSC_0451_zps269af411.jpg

DSC_0453_zps73e0146c.jpg

There was even a Christmas tree nearby!
DSC_0455_zps9eecc7d9.jpg

Storytellers Cafe - this one was also right near the entrance to the dining room. It was slightly larger than the one at Whitewater Snacks and I really liked the log effect.
DSC_0457_zpsea3b1bd0.jpg

DSC_0463_zps1b84376d.jpg

GCH Lobby - obviously the biggest and most impressive was the gingerbread house in the main lobby of the GCH. I saw them working on it back in mid-November, so it was fun to see it finished.
DSC_0476_zps373a4095.jpg

I really liked the attention to detail in the front. The fireplace was pretty neat and the Mickey was cute.
DSC_0482_zps77abded7.jpg

DSC_0484_zpsd2a25273.jpg

The back is a little plain, but the logo was neat.
DSC_0471_zps9df43ce6.jpg

In the middle of the lobby was the tree!
DSC_0488_zpsfe7212b0.jpg

They had the cookie and coffee stand in the lobby by the house. There was also a pastry chef working on the house (doing touch up - I think - she was mixing up some frosting).

I don't have a Walmart anywhere near me, or else I might have been there too! I wonder if they got the gingerbread Oreos in stock this year?

I've been checking my Walmart but I haven't seen them.

O Holy Night (when sung by the right person who can hit all the dramatic notes, this song gives me goose bumps and brings me to tears)

I'm not very religious, but I love the spiritual Christmas songs, and this one would definitely be my favorite. And I totally agree about it having to be sung by the right person. In fact, right now I'm listening to what is my favorite version, sung by John Berry (a country artist who was popular in the '90s).

For the "standards", I would have to say Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is my favorite (I have 5 or 6 versions on my iPod), although Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is high on my list, too.

I think I'd have to say that my favorite childhood classic would be You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch, although I think this one could also fall in the novelty category. Plus as a Disney fan, how can I resist a song by Thurl Ravenscroft? ;)

A more current one that I love is Let It Be Christmas by Alan Jackson.

A couple of novelty songs that I like are Leroy the Redneck Reindeer and Santa's Coming in a Pickup Truck. (I'm a country music fan, can you tell? ;))

The 2 songs that make me cringe and wish I would never hear again are Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree and Jingle Bell Rock, although strangely enough, I don't mind some of the covers I've heard; it's the original versions that I would be happy if I never heard again.

I'm done with finals!!!!:cool1::yay::woohoo:pixiedust:
Which means tomorrow I go to Disneyland! I just checked in for my southwest flight that leaves at 8:55 and I'll get to LAX at 10:15! The first day there is a solo day so I'll be doing Disneyland and trying to hit up as many of the long line holiday events/rides in case I can't see them when my friends arrive.

As for Christmas Songs:
I completely agree about O Holy Night being sung by the right person!
The Christmas Song is my favorite classic.
For the less classic more campy I love Straight No Chasers 12 Days of Christmas and the Christmas Can-Can
In general I'm not picky about my christmas music though.

Has anyone heard Dominic the Donkey before? That one I love and I'm not even Italian :rotfl:

The song that makes me cringe is any version of Carol of the Bells that is sung by a choir...It makes me feel nervous and anxious for no reason. Why is it really intense?! I once told a friend I hated it because I felt "It's Christmas why are you yelling at me!" Hahaha

• Do you prefer the more spiritual songs, such as: O Holy Night; Angels We Have Heard on High; Away in a Manger; O Come, All Ye Faithful; Silent Night; Joy to the World; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; The First Noel; We Three Kings, etc.?

• Do you prefer the more classic 'standard' types of songs, such as: White Christmas; Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas; I'll be Home for Christmas; The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire), etc.?

• Do you prefer novelty songs, such as: Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer; I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas; All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth, etc.?

• Do you prefer the bouncy, upbeat songs such as: Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland; We Wish You A Merry Christmas; Deck the Halls; Sleigh Ride; Let it Snow; Jingle Bell Rock, etc.?

• Do you prefer childhood classics, such as: Santa Claus is Coming to Town; Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer; Frosty the Snowman; Little Drummer Boy, etc.?

• Do you prefer the more pop/rock-inspired songs, and/or anything that was released in the late '70s and beyond, such as: Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime, Do They Know It's Christmas, Last Christmas or All I Want for Christmas Is You?

• And... which Christmas songs make you cringe in horror, and you wouldn't care if you never heard them again -- until the end of time? Does Santa Baby make your skin crawl? Would you rather be trapped in an elevator on the 90th floor of a building than have to listen to Rocking Around the Christmas Tree one more time?

:santa:

OK, I am on endless hold with post office, trying to track down a package they list as "delivered" but has definitely NOT been. Luckily it's only a tie for DH, not something for a child.

I'll play the favorite songs game:

Spiritual: Like most all of them, but especially "O Holy Night" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I wish I could hit the notes in O Holy Night but will settle for singing alto in the church choir this Sunday,

Classics: Kinda bored with most of them unless I hear a new twist on one. The local radio plays a very banal mix of songs, mostly way-too-old "classic" versions. I have been avoiding "I'll Be Home For Christmas" with my son gone this year. :sad:

Bouncy/upbeat: Classic "Sleigh Ride" instrumental. Our high school band played it marching down Main Street at Disneyland every Christmas, so it always reminds me of DL.

Childhood classics: "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," because it is DD15's favorite and a cute story behind it.

Pop/rock: "All I Want for Christmas is You," by Mariah Carey. I also have a Brian Sezter Christmas CD that makes me smile. :)

Cringe: I will stick sharpened candy-cane daggers in my ears if I hear the Paul McCartney one again. And much of what the radio is playing right now.

PHXscuba :santa:

Christmas songs:

I am not a very religious person either, but really enjoy O Holy Night and the First Noel.

I am totally addicted to the Main Street Christmas loop!

And another one of my all time favorites is: The Elvis Christmas Album. LOVE IT!!!! (http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Christm...418937118&sr=8-31&keywords=elvis+christmas+cd) My mom and my grandparents have this exact album (yes album, not CD) and we always listen to it while decorating the tree. Means even more to me now after my granny passed.

But, in general, I love all Christmas music. My kids love it too! We've had the station in the car set on Xmas tunes since Nov! I really love Rudolf now because my boys adore it. And after this year, Jolly Holly Christmas holds a special place for me, since my DS5 tries to sing it and says, " Oh hail, the mistle tail" LOL

Because there just isn't enough Frozen in the world right now...

"Behind the Scenes at Disney Parks Frozen Christmas Celebration" -- Disney Parks Blog; posted on December 18th, 2014 by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

:dance3:

Because there just isn't enough Frozen in the world right now...;) ;)

"Frozen Fiends, Come Get Your Fix with All-New 'Frozen Fun' at Disney California Adventure" -- Disney Insider; posted 12/8/14

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

Eek. I turned on the Christmas music, as there was a movie on the Hallmark Channel that I didn't need to see at the moment, and what was playing on the radio? Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney!:sad2: :headache: That song is haunting me!

Thankfully, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas came on soon after, and wiped the memory of the Paul McCartney song from my mind.:rotfl2:

Okay, I got caught up on updating the Trip Reviews post and the (recent) Photo Links post on page 1, to include all of the recent trip recaps and pictures that have come in. I don't think I skipped anyone. The pages have turned faster than I expected so I had to go back further in the thread than I thought!:rotfl2:

I have to say that looking over all of the great photos that have been shared so far this season (including the recent amazing photos from figment_jii, pepe3penelope and DisneylandPlanner!!!:worship:) brings a smile to my face! It's wonderful to see and read the details of the trips, and to see the happy smiles on the faces of many of the people who have participated in this thread (and in the previous Superthreads).

So, the updated Trip Reviews, Recaps and Reports post is -- HERE. There is a category for December 2014 and one for November 2014. If you posted a trip recap in this thread, or linked us to your own separate trip report, I included it in the Trip Reviews post.

In the Photo Links post, I only included links to photos that were posted directly in this actual thread (or in the previous Superthread), not outside of the thread -- HERE.

Remember, if you visit DLR for the holiday season this year (November, December, or early January); if you were there on Thanksgiving; if you're there on Christmas Eve or Day, or on New Year's Eve & Day; if you're there for the Frozen Fun sneak peek; or for Three Kings Day; if you took part in the Holiday Time Tour; or have any thoughts on the holiday season offerings that you'd like to share -- post them here and I will link them on page 1.

If you don't post your recaps here or let us know where to find them in a different thread, I won't be hunting all around the forum to find the separate threads -- and some very good reviews and interesting observations could go overlooked by some of our followers down the road! This is a popular thread that usually ends up being very active, with anywhere from 100,000 to 300,000 total views, and a lot of people will be tuning in -- silently or otherwise -- before the current holiday season ends and before the next holiday season begins. So, if you want your reports and recaps to be seen by a whole lot of people, I have to know where to find them!

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far! :grouphug:

Speechphi -- Have fun with the "big reveal" of the surprise! It should be so much fun!:yay: I hope you have an amazing trip!:cheer2::cheer2:

pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I watched Christmas Under Wraps last night and I loved it!!!! I am a sucker for stories about towns that are undercover Northpole operations because I think it would be SOOOOOOO cool to live in one. Yes I LOVE Christmas Town also!!

I watched Christmas Under Wraps last night and I loved it!!!! I am a sucker for stories about towns that are undercover Northpole operations because I think it would be SOOOOOOO cool to live in one. Yes I LOVE Christmas Town also!!

DisneylandPlanner --

Have you seen Farewell, Mr. Kringle? It may not be on Hallmark more than once or twice before 12/31. Try to catch it if you can! (I love Christmas Town! Patrick Muldoon has done Christmas movies for Ion, UP, Hallmark and Lifetime, I think -- maybe ABC Family too!)

I don't remember if this has been mentioned on this site or not, but I watched ABC's Backstage with Disney on Broadway: Celebrating 20 Years. At the end of the show it was confirmed that Frozen would become a Broadway musical.

I really like Frozen, but I feel a bit smothered! I love, love, love characters, but as much as I love my favorites, I love to meet new or rare characters! I think all of the Frozen is reducing the chances of the other characters and experiences.

Anyway... Back to Christmas! :santa:

I don't remember if this has been mentioned on this site or not, but I watched ABC's Backstage with Disney on Broadway: Celebrating 20 Years. At the end of the show it was confirmed that Frozen would become a Broadway musical.

I really like Frozen, but I feel a bit smothered! I love, love, love characters, but as much as I love my favorites, I love to meet new or rare characters! I think all of the Frozen is reducing the chances of the other characters and experiences.

Anyway... Back to Christmas! :santa:

pudinhd --

A musical too... well, I guess it shouldn't shock me.

If nothing else, all of the Frozen frenzy is certainly stealing some of the thunder from the other characters and events. Frozen Fun is debuting within the holiday season, and there would still be plenty to do for the holidays without it, but it seems like all of the focus is going to go to Frozen Fun for the last 2-1/2 weeks of the holidays... and beyond.

I think that we can expect Frozen Fun to return for the holidays of 2015 -- but probably even earlier in the season than it is arriving this year. It will probably show up in November -- "back by popular demand."

And when will the inevitable Frozen doll addition to IASW make its debut? You know that it's got to be coming soon!

pudinhd --

A musical too... well, I guess it shouldn't shock me.

If nothing else, all of the Frozen frenzy is certainly stealing some of the thunder from the other characters and events. Frozen Fun is debuting within the holiday season, and there would still be plenty to do for the holidays without it, but it seems like all of the focus is going to go to Frozen Fun for the last 2-1/2 weeks of the holidays... and beyond.

I think that we can expect Frozen Fun to return for the holidays of 2015 -- but probably even earlier in the season than it is arriving this year. It will probably show up in November -- "back by popular demand."

And when will the inevitable Frozen doll addition to IASW make its debut? You know that it's got to be coming soon!

I did briefly think about IASW, but then forgot about it! I don't think that would bother me, unless they removed another character to make room for Frozen. :upsidedow

Oh dear, I love O Holy Night too but every time someone mentions it all I hear in my head is Eric Cartman singing it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter