Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I am a Yulelog! Never tasted a Yulelog! but I have been decorated for weeks!
:confused3:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

--Lori

Have you considered renting a DVC studio at the GCH? If you rent points from a VGC owner you can book at the 11 month window for under $300 per night.

Oh goodness, I sound like a cheapo, but that price just made my stomach drop like a stone. Lol. We have two little dudes, so for now I don't mind staying at a cheaper spot (since they won't care). We also have to fly from North Dakota, and the flights are insane from here because we are basically holed up too far from any major airport, so they can charge what they want. Boo! So budgeting that much for hotel makes me queasy. Thanks for the suggestion though! If my MIL decides to come too we may spring for a bigger/nicer place. :)

And Sherry thank you for the suggestions and links! This thread is the best.

I'm a Yule Log too. :D They are yummy so that's good.

This may seem like a silly question, but I need to ask.

We are scheduled to go to Disneyland, Dec 20-23, with parks days of the 21-22.

Its showing 40% chance of rain on the 20th (not sure if SoCal rain predictions are like NorCal predictions, but if they are, this rain could move forward or back throughout the week).

IF it rains on the days we are there, should we expect lower crowds, or will it be crowded no matter what considering it is the week of Christmas?

Thanks

This may seem like a silly question, but I need to ask.

We are scheduled to go to Disneyland, Dec 20-23, with parks days of the 21-22.

Its showing 40% chance of rain on the 20th (not sure if SoCal rain predictions are like NorCal predictions, but if they are, this rain could move forward or back throughout the week).

IF it rains on the days we are there, should we expect lower crowds, or will it be crowded no matter what considering it is the week of Christmas?

Thanks

qckrun --

I think that if it rains, there is no question that some of the crowds will thin out a bit. True, in that week there will be a lot of visitors from out of town (non-locals and non-AP holders) and it will be relatively crowded anyway, to a degree, because it's right before Christmas.

However, many local AP holders who have access to the parks that week (which would only be Premium or Premier AP holders at that point in December) would probably stay away if the rain was a real possibility.

I tend to think that some folks would want to come out on 12/20 for the debut of the Frozen Fun stuff (the start of the sneak peek), but if it really rains then that would deter some local folks.

A friend of mine went to DLR 2 Christmases ago, and she was there on the day after Christmas -- an infamously, notoriously crowded day every year. There was merely a threat of rain in the forecast -- it didn't actually rain -- and because of that a lot of people stayed away. She said that it didn't start to get really crowded until late in the day/early evening, when it was clear that it wasn't going to rain.

Sherry-
For some reason I misread that as there was a separate place to write reviews. Don't mind me, I'm in the process of giving up caffeine and I think my brain is still a few days behind the rest of me.

ARIELvsURSULA What a great mini-report. I hadn't seen Anna and Elsa in the meet and greet.

OT: I've been AWOL from the boards a bit. Got back from DL on Tuesday night and Thursday morning MIL went into the hospital. So glad she didn't fall while we were away. Please keep her in your prayers for fast healing and no pneumonia. She's 92 and broke ribs in 8 places. :sick: Got out of ICU today praise God.

TK

I'm Mickey's Sugar Holiday Cookies! :santa:

ARIELvsURSULA: LOVED your miniTR!!! Ariel is my ultimate favorite princess and Ursula is my absolute favorite villain! Luckily, DD7 also loves them!:hug: Thanks for sharing your photos! We waited 50 minutes to meet Baymax & Hero (the week before we saw the movie). I'd love to meet them again! :love:

ARIELvsURSULA What a great mini-report. I hadn't seen Anna and Elsa in the meet and greet.

OT: I've been AWOL from the boards a bit. Got back from DL on Tuesday night and Thursday morning MIL went into the hospital. So glad she didn't fall while we were away. Please keep her in your prayers for fast healing and no pneumonia. She's 92 and broke ribs in 8 places. :sick: Got out of ICU today praise God.

TK

Hope your MIL has a speedy recovery!

i am...You’re Mickey Sugar Cookies!
You cherish the simple—and delicious—things in life, and embrace the classics this time of year. We know what type of cookies you’re going to leave out for Santa!

hmmm...Had the yule log cake at Plaza Inn with dinner. Hubby and I shared it and it was so good! Also, had to get the Pumpkin Beignets today (those tasted like like pumpkin pie!). Tomorrow I am going to give the gingerbread a try!

Why am I apparently the only Pumpkin Beignet around here, while everyone else is a Yule Log, Cotton Candy or a Sugar Cookie?:rotfl2::rotfl2: Did it all come down to the snow question (I said I would jump for joy at snow)? Is that what made me a Pumpkin Beignet?

Then again, I was the only "Sugarplum" among the Elf Names in the previous Superthread, so maybe I am just destined to be on my own little island in any of these sorts of games!:lmao:

(I just had to giggle at the thought of someone tuning into the thread for the first time -- who hasn't scrolled back a page -- to see a people saying "I am a Yule Log" and "I'm a Pumpkin Beignet.":rotfl2::rotfl2: They're such funny-sounding sentences, and I can picture someone going "What the.... huh? What are they talking about in this thread?":rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:)

By the way, under my Pumpkin Beignet title it says: "You have lots of holiday spirit and are always the life of the party. Your friends know that your love of Christmas is only paralleled by your love of dessert." :lmao: Yes, but... the dessert I love is gingerbread or peppermint -- it's not pumpkin!!! So what sense does that make? How did I end up with pumpkin?

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

TK --

I am sending good vibes and positive thoughts your way (or your MIL's way).:hug: She is at an age when any fall -- even a tiny fall -- can do a lot of damage. As you said, thank goodness it didn't happen while you were away.

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I am a local AP & have a rare day off on Wednesday. What to do but have a solo day at DL & DCA!!! I'm just a little scared of the 40% chance of rain! :worried:

I plan on doing certain rides & have lunch at Carthay Circle Restaurant. Yummy! :cool1: :banana:

I have a question...where do I get the pumpkin beignets? Are they at the walk up window next to the New Orleans train station? TIA!

Hello all!,
I've been a lurker on the thread for a few months now but I'm speaking up finally! On Friday I'm going to Disneyland!!!! I've been to Disney World for Christmas but never Disneyland! The first night I'll staying at Camelot (I think) and then Saturday and Sunday I will be staying in the Grand Californian with three friends!

I want to send a huge thank you to all of you who shared your experiences and photos because they've been an incredible resource. And the organizer of this thread has done an incredible job!

I'm a college student and next week is finals week so that has been dampening my christmas spirit since I haven't been able to watch any christmas specials! So Disney is much needed! Hopefully I will post some pictures and a short review when I get back!

I am a local AP & have a rare day off on Wednesday. What to do but have a solo day at DL & DCA!!! I'm just a little scared of the 40% chance of rain! :worried:

I plan on doing certain rides & have lunch at Carthay Circle Restaurant. Yummy! :cool1: :banana:

I have a question...where do I get the pumpkin beignets? Are they at the walk up window next to the New Orleans train station? TIA!

pepe3penelope --

It sounds as if you have a great day planned!

In the past the pumpkin beignets have been available at Café Orleans, French Market and I think at the Mint Julep bar as well. In this list that I compiled of the Fall and Halloween-specific foods (for my Halloween Time Superthread), I have noted many of the locations where all the items are available.

Some of the items on the Fall/Halloween foods list (such as the Pumpkin Twist) are actually still available through the holidays, while others have been switched over to their holiday/Christmas versions! Some of the locations may vary too, with extra ones being added in and some being removed.

I'm working on a similar list of seasonal items (sweet and savory) specifically for the holiday season (I have a post reserved for it on page 1!!), but it's more complex than the Fall/Halloween list, as there are different sub-categories involved (Viva Navidad and Three Kings Day food; Christmas Eve/Day food; Thanksgiving Day food; possibly "Frozen Fun" food, when that begins next weekend; regular food items available all season long, etc.).

Hello all!,
I've been a lurker on the thread for a few months now but I'm speaking up finally! On Friday I'm going to Disneyland!!!! I've been to Disney World for Christmas but never Disneyland! The first night I'll staying at Camelot (I think) and then Saturday and Sunday I will be staying in the Grand Californian with three friends!

I want to send a huge thank you to all of you who shared your experiences and photos because they've been an incredible resource. And the organizer of this thread has done an incredible job!

I'm a college student and next week is finals week so that has been dampening my christmas spirit since I haven't been able to watch any christmas specials! So Disney is much needed! Hopefully I will post some pictures and a short review when I get back!

Hello, DisKH -- welcome! :welcome: :wave:

Thank you for joining us!:cool1::cool1::cool1: I am so glad that this thread has been helpful, useful and informative (and hopefully fun too!).

I hope that your upcoming Disneyland trip will be amazing! I look forward to your review and photos when you get back. It will be quite different than WDW in many ways (mainly because of the smaller size and scope of everything), but I think that there is a lot of holiday cheer packed into the 2 parks, 3 hotels and Downtown Disney!

The Grand Californian Hotel has a great atmosphere and environment for celebrating the season. One of my favorite things to do is to simply watch the carolers perform by the giant Christmas tree in the lobby. I love that caroling location more than the ones at the other hotels.

Good luck with your finals! I'm sure that you will be able to breathe a sigh of relief and have fun once they're over.

I have finally finished editing the Photopass photos. I did not edit every single one and for the ones I did, I restricted myself to one border per photo. I ended up with nearly 1000 photos. Once the CD gets here, I can get started on the trip report. In the meantime I better download the photos from our various cameras.

TK

I hope that she will make a swift recovery without any complications.

Why am I apparently the only Pumpkin Beignet around here, while everyone else is a Yule Log, Cotton Candy or a Sugar Cookie?:rotfl2::rotfl2: Did it all come down to the snow question (I said I would jump for joy at snow)? Is that what made me a Pumpkin Beignet?

I answered the snow question the same way and I am Cotton Candy.

Corinna

I have finally finished editing the Photopass photos. I did not edit every single one and for the ones I did, I restricted myself to one border per photo. I ended up with nearly 1000 photos. Once the CD gets here, I can get started on the trip report. In the meantime I better download the photos from our various cameras.

I hope that she will make a swift recovery without any complications.

I answered the snow question the same way and I am Cotton Candy.

Corinna

Corinna --

I had to chuckle when you said you restricted yourself to one border per photo.:rotfl2:

I think that PhotoPass is a great idea -- it is especially great to have as back-up in case anything should go wrong with one's camera, memory card, etc. However, that said -- it is always the most frustrating experience for me. I can't limit myself to one border per photo! I seem to have to get every photo with all the different borders, and then I make black & white versions of the photos as well. In some cases I may use two different effects or borders on one single photo. In some cases I zoom in and crop, to make a completely different photo subject from the original photo. I become obsessed!

I end up getting so exhausted with all of the photo editing and tinkering that I get worried about running out of time, and I end up leaving a bunch of the photos unedited (while the others are heavily edited:rotfl2:). I wish I could force myself to only use one border and/or implement one effect/enhancement and not do anything else -- I think it would cause me a lot less hassle.

Photopass -- A fabulously fantastic, frustrating experience!

Corinna --

I had to chuckle when you said you restricted yourself to one border per photo.:rotfl2:

I think that PhotoPass is a great idea -- it is especially great to have as back-up in case anything should go wrong with one's camera, memory card, etc. However, that said -- it is always the most frustrating experience for me. I can't limit myself to one border per photo! I seem to have to get every photo with all the different borders, and then I make black & white versions of the photos as well. In some cases I may use two different effects or borders on one single photo. In some cases I zoom in and crop, to make a completely different photo subject from the original photo. I become obsessed!

I end up getting so exhausted with all of the photo editing and tinkering that I get worried about running out of time, and I end up leaving a bunch of the photos unedited (while the others are heavily edited:rotfl2:). I wish I could force myself to only use one border and/or implement one effect/enhancement and not do anything else -- I think it would cause me a lot less hassle.

Photopass -- A fabulously fantastic, frustrating experience!

I hear you. That is why I restrict myself to one border now. The first time I did Photopass, I think I started with less than two hundred and ended up with nearly a 1000 and the whole process was rather stressful.

Corinna

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter