Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha Sherry,
We arrive December 3-10. I read somewhere and please correct me if I am wrong, that Fantasmic only runs on weekends in December? My plan right now has us in the parks on Saturday and Sunday. I cant change our dates now that airline tickets are booked. I am not going to stress about the possible massive crowds it is what it is. I will just keep watching this excellent thread.

Well, to be honest, I think that the last couple of years have involved weekend-only showings of Fantasmic in the early part of December, but as the month progresses the number of showtimes each week increases.

However, I distinctly, vividly remember a trip 4 years ago -- which was in the first week of December -- during which Fantasmic was starting on Wednesday or Thursday that week. I remember this because a friend of mine was in town and she and her family stayed a day longer at DLR than I did. She left on a Friday and I left on Thursday morning. She had mentioned that she wanted to see Fantasmic before she left, and we looked at the daily entertainment schedule and saw that it was showing on Wed. or Thurs., and every night after that through the weekend. I said to her, "Oh, well you'll be able to see it before you leave!"

Since then, though, I guess it has been holding steady with a weekend only schedule through the first couple of weeks of December. According to last year's hours from wdwinfo.com (which is affiliated with DISboards), that's what appears to have happened:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/park-hours.cfm?month=12&year=2014

Well, the good news is that the massive crowds will probably not be as massive as they were last year, and they won't be as massive as they are between Christmas and New Year's!

I'll be interested to hear how well the Candlelight crowds play with the PTN and Disneyland Forever crowds. Seeing as how both crowds will need to be in the same place at the same time, it should be very interesting.

I've wondered that as well. If the Christmas Fantasy Parade, for some reason, only runs once per day on the weekends (even though it could be twice during the day), tons of people will line up to see it. Then you have one or two showings of Paint the Night. Lots of people. Then you have Disneyland Forever. Tons of people. Candlelight is kind of wedged in there somewhere, and will attract people to Town Square.

"Interesting" is a good word for it.

Last edited:

So would you recommend missing the sat candle light day making that my arrival day or would you say not to worry about it all to much. If we aren't worried about it to much we would do the full first week. If we are worried about it more we will do the first few days of the second week.

Last year I went Thursday-Sunday of Candlelight Weekend. (I checked out of CCI Sunday early morning and did not go to the park). Saturday was busier than Thursday or Friday. However since I pretty much spent that day checking in with CM's on Main Street about when to line up for Candlelight, it didn't matter that much to me. The busiest time seemed to be when Candlelight ended and trying to exit DL. It was interesting for the first time going behind the shops and seeing some extra Disneyland ride pictures like you see upon entering the park. For me, I will always try to have at least one weekday before Candlelight and would for sure recommend that to those of you travelling out here from afar.

I am truly enjoying all the pictures thanks again everyone for sharing :)

Okay, guys -- I just have to mention this, as I kept quiet last week. :teacher::mic:

When I said that this week was for PhotoPass, Holiday Characters and Santa Claus photos, I meant actual PhotoPass pictures, photos of or with characters in holiday garb in the parks (Santa Goofy, or Mickey in his winter sweater, Pooh in his Santa hat, etc.) and pictures with Santa, or Santa's photo spots in the parks or at the 3 hotels. Maybe I can let the parade Santa slip by, as that is an actual Santa -- but I didn't mean any other kind of non-human Santa, or any spot other than Santa's actual photo spots! :lmao:

If you don't have the photos to fit the themes, it's okay! :goodvibes You don't have to try to come up with something to post. Not everyone is going to have photos for each theme. :goodvibes And even if you only have one photo that fits the theme, one photo is fine! Whether you post one photo or 20, you still get one entry into the random draw for the Disney gift cards.

One reason why I want to keep the photos to the specific themes I set forth is that, if you reveal too much now, there is nothing left that will surprise anyone in future theme weeks. The key is to not show everything right up front!

Last week, the theme was Christmas Trees, Wreaths and Holiday Flowers or Plants. I posted photos in my intro -- always use my intros as a guideline -- and I did not include any photos of garland (because garland is literally everywhere, and not always as themed or as specific as the trees and wreaths). Somehow, everyone got the idea that random garland photos were okay -- when I literally just meant trees, (round) wreaths and Holiday-specific flowers and plants -- and then there were other photos that popped up that didn't have any actual foliage at all. :lmao::lmao:

When I post the intros, follow my lead (or read the text that I include with the intros) for ideas -- you will see the kinds of things that I am talking about for the themes. ;)

No worries -- I still gave everyone an entry into the random draw, but I just want to make sure we don't stray too far from the specific subjects of theme weeks. It also helps latecomers to the week, who look at other photos as a guide to what they should be posting.

Everyone is doing a great job, and I am loving all of the photos!

:grouphug:

:santa::santa::santa:

I'm going to be in the parks November 9-10 do you think the decorations will be up then?

Hi there! :wave:

It is looking like the Holiday season will officially start on 11/13 (or possibly 11/12). Therefore, what would usually happen is that the Christmas decorations would begin going up around the parks even before 10/31, so that they could be mostly in place by the weekend before Veterans Day. ABC usually does some sort of filming in Disneyland on that pre-Veterans Day weekend, and Disneyland has to look somewhat like it is in holiday mode.

This year, because there is so much focus on the 60th anniversary, I'm not sure how much of the décor is going to go up. I don't know if everything that would normally be up will be up this year.

My guess is that It's a Small World Holiday will probably soft open by 11/6 or 11/7 -- so I think that will be up when you're there. Haunted Mansion Holiday, of course, will be open. I think that most of the decorations in both parks (whatever there is going to be this year) will be in place by your dates -- especially if there is an ABC filming the previous weekend -- but maybe not all of them. The hotels will not be decorated by your dates.

So would you recommend missing the sat candle light day making that my arrival day or would you say not to worry about it all to much. If we aren't worried about it to much we would do the full first week. If we are worried about it more we will do the first few days of the second week.

I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. Just go in knowing that Sat., 12/5 will be crowded and that Main Street/Town Square will be crowded from the latter part of the afternoon onward. There is so much going on between the parades, the fireworks and whoever is gathered to see or trying to avoid Candlelight, and Town Square/Main Street is just very hectic for several hours.

Does anyone know if the characters still come out in their pajamas on Christmas Eve to wave goodnight?

There have been mixed reports on this. I had heard that the Christmas Eve goodnight kiss (or whatever it was called) had stopped a couple of years ago, but then I later heard that a couple of characters in pajamas were still coming out to greet guests even without the official goodnight. It's not something that is officially announced by Disney, so it might be a hit or miss sort of thing.

Last edited:
I'm lovin' all the photos. This will be my first holiday season in DLR and I'm looking forward to seeing what DL has to offer.

So, does anyone know if the Fantasmic dessert party is still going on or if it will be on? I went to it for the 50th and I LOVED IT! I'd love to do something like that again!

This week's theme ends at 11:59 p.m., PST, tonight! This week seems to have gone by very fast, and I can't believe it's already almost time for the next theme. Tomorrow morning I will introduce the third theme in the Countdown! I was going to go with one particular theme, but I think I will keep it for a future week. Remember to follow my leads as to the kinds of photos to post, or ask if you aren't sure! :goodvibes

In the meantime, if there are any last minute photo contributors who want to get in on this theme week, hurry and post your photos of or with:

-- Holiday Characters (meaning the interactive characters who pose for photos in the parks, who are wearing some sort of holiday attire [including Mater in his Santa hat]; OR the characters who are brought out to greet guests just for the holiday season [such as Snowy the Snow Car in Cars Land, or Jack Skellington and Sally, although Jack and Sally come out for Halloween Time too]; OR the characters who are posing against some sort of holiday backdrop [as is the case with Olaf above ^^ -- notice the ornaments on the tree]. Characters wearing holiday garb from the Christmas Fantasy Parade are okay too. Mrs. Claus is okay too);

-- PhotoPass (meaning Holiday-specific PhotoPass shots, including special magic shots, or in front of holiday backdrops, etc. Also, photos with holiday borders are okay to use as well!); and/or

-- Santa Claus (meaning photos with or of Santa at any of his posts around Disneyland Resort, OR photos of the details at his specific photo spots).

:santa::santa::santa:

I'm lovin' all the photos. This will be my first holiday season in DLR and I'm looking forward to seeing what DL has to offer.

It's a wonderful time to visit DLR! If you love the holiday season in general, you should love how Disneyland celebrates it. While I tend to wonder what or how much of the usual décor and merriment might be scaled back this year -- especially now that I've seen how Halloween Time is being handled -- I think/hope that it still feels extra-holiday-ish all around the resort!

Oh shucks! Our first day will be Christmas Eve and we were hoping to catch the Christmas Eve Kiss Goodnight :(

You might be able to see it. I get the feeling that it is one of those things that Disney doesn't like to commit to or advertise, but that they do it as a sort of surprise or treat for guests who happen to be there on Christmas Eve. And then, in some years, they just skip it. :lmao: IF they do it this year, I believe that the "goodnight" happens 2 times on 12/24. If they don't actually have the characters go up to the train station and wave to everyone, they might just send Mickey down in his pajamas to meet some guests. :lmao: Be sure to ask a Cast Member in Town Square if it will be happening later that night.

I don't know if they're considered seasonal or not (I don't often eat Hostess Cupcakes), but DH found the Hostess Sea Salt Caramel cupcakes and they are AMAZING! It will take a lot of willpower to not eat the entire box. And a good hiding spot, so my kids don't ;)

Thanks Sherry! Never would have thought to ask a cast member, lol

That was actually how one of our DIS'ers (who followed this thread) found out that the Christmas Eve Kiss Goodnight was not happening 3 years ago. He had read about it in the thread, or in someone's post, and he asked a CM if it would be happening, only to find out it was not. :sad: Then, the next year, I don't think that characters actually went up to the train station, but a couple of them (in pajamas) greeted guests in Town Square. Last year I don't know what happened with it -- I'm not sure if the characters came out or not. Of course, if it is raining I'm sure they will not come out.

What's the Christmas eve kiss goodnight?

A bunch of characters -- some of whom wear pajamas or other sleepwear (night caps and that kind of thing) -- stand in front of the train station in Town Square on Christmas Eve, wishing everyone a merry Christmas and good night. Then, either before or after that, presumably, some of them greet guests. It is not an advertised thing, and is kept kind of hush hush, so each year we can't be sure if it will happen.

I don't know if they're considered seasonal or not (I don't often eat Hostess Cupcakes), but DH found the Hostess Sea Salt Caramel cupcakes and they are AMAZING! It will take a lot of willpower to not eat the entire box. And a good hiding spot, so my kids don't ;)

I have heard of those and seen photos, but I can't tell if they are supposed to be seasonal either! I have to admit -- if I am going to eat a cupcake, I prefer a 'real' cupcake, with real frosting and all of that. However, that said, Hostess cupcakes are nostalgic, and they have a decent flavor, and they have the signature swirl on the top, and they are usually inexpensive (if you get the pack of 2)! Zingers too! And Suzy Q's! I mean, they are complete and utter junk food -- no nutritional value whatsoever. But there is a reason they are so popular, and why people were upset when Hostess went out of business a few years ago (before being rescued) -- and it's because, as junky as the food is, it tastes pretty good! :lmao: My 99 Cents Only store often sells 2 packages of Zingers or Cupcakes (the 2-pack) for 99 cents. So that's 4 cupcakes or 4 Zingers for a total of 99 cents -- which is a good deal -- but I force myself to walk past that section and ignore them. :lmao:

IMG_0616_zps95c7c54c.jpg
IMG_0618_zps2dbf3bcd.jpg
IMG_0622_zps77fa1373.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter