Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness summer is over in 2 weeks. It is going to be super hot by the end of this week (it's already hot and humid -- ick!) and I am over it. Even though it won't really cool down around here until November, at least we're headed in the right direction!

pixiedust:

Peppermint Watch/Holiday Watch Alert! :santa::santa:

For those of you who don't also follow my Halloween Time Superthread, you may have missed the breaking news:

Nestle's Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Dough (with "creamy peppermint chunks") has been spotted in at least one store!!!!!

Right now, the Halloween/Harvest/Fall/Pumpkin Spice/Pumpkin Pie/Candy Apple/Candy Corn/Caramel Apple versions of items are battling over shelf space in the stores. Twix Ghosts and Cheetos Bag of Bones are out there too. Ever so slowly, the Winter/Christmas/Cranberry/Peppermint/Gingerbread/Sugar Cookie/Eggnog/Pine items will be sneaking up behind them!

:santa:

I've logged everyone's New Orleans Square-Haunted Mansion Holiday photo submissions (from Bret/mvf-m11c to Jenny, and everyone in between). Again, what an amazing array of photos everyone has been posting! I am delighted to see such fun, colorful detailed shots from all of our participants!

I look forward to the_princess' photos, Jamie's photos, Janet's photos, Mike's photos, Crystal's, Amanda's, etc., etc.

And PHXscuba will, hopefully, be back from WDW by now! She said that last week she would be at WDW and would have no chance to post photos, so she didn't want to miss out on Haunted Mansion Holiday photos. Well, luckily, we had Cars Land week and not New Orleans Square-Haunted Mansion Holiday week last week. This week is a different story, however!
:santa:

I am thinking of suggesting to my husband that we go to Disneyland and California Adventure for a couple days for our fourth wedding anniversary.

Our anniversary is on November 30, so this year, that will be on a Sunday. And also going on Monday, December 1. I'm a little worried that November 30 might still be quite crowded, as that is still apart of the Thanksgiving weekend. Does anything think this date is a bad idea? It's just that that is our actually anniversary date.

This will be the first time in a very long time that I will be going to Disneyland during the Christmas season. Last time I did that, my mom took me when I was a child, I believe even under the age of 7, so I don't remember much, and I know a lot has changed since that time anyways. :p

I know two days is not much time to see everything there, but we done and seen a lot at Disneyland and California Adventure in the last couple years. I basically plan to go this time to soak up and enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of all the Christmas decorations, and watch all the Christmas themed shows. So far that I know of, there is a Christmas themed parade, fireworks, and World of Color show? Is there anything I am missing? Of course we will ride some rides, but it wont be the main part of the trip for us. I also want to try some Disneyland food I heard people talk about a lot. Since we don't normally get to go to Disneyland very often (once a year or once every other year) I don't normally think about what food to try. But now I am going to plan it out before we go and try some new things. Doesn't have to be Christmas themed food either.

BirdyGirl85 --

Okay, let's see... As for crowds, as DSNY4ever said, I think that your dates are a good time to go! While there may be some people on Thanksgiving break who are still in the parks on 11/30, a lot of people will probably clear out on that day (or by 12/1) as they head back home, to work and to school. That's my feeling about it, in any case.

There will be a Christmas break for many people just a few weeks after that (since Thanksgiving is late again this year), so a lot of people won't have the luxury of staying in the parks beyond 11/30 and 12/1.

That said, it is the holiday season and it is popular, so it won't be totally empty in the parks most of the time, but I don't think that the crowds will be too crazy.

As for what to see and do during your time at DLR, these are the things that you may want to make time for (in no specific order):

• A Christmas Fantasy Parade (in Disneyland);
  • Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks with snowfall at the end (in Disneyland);
  • The Winter Castle lit up in icicle lights at night;
  • It's a Small World Holiday -- both the ride itself, and also don't miss the façade lit up in colored lights at night;
  • World of Color-Winter Dreams (in DCA);
  • Viva Navidad (a jubilant sort of festival/parade/celebration in DCA);
  • Jingle Jangle Jamboree (in Frontierland - with a petting zoo, Santa, characters in holiday attire, rustic decorations, etc.);
  • Haunted Mansion Holiday;
  • Jingle Cruise (a seasonal version of Jungle Cruise); and
  • Cars Land's fun holiday décor, and Snowy the Snow Car photo spot.

You may also want to spend some down time having a snack or drink in the lobby of the Grand Californian Hotel, where you will find carolers and Santa, as well as a huge Christmas tree.

There are a lot of great treats and special food items that are out for the holiday season (in addition to the regular yummy food)! Be sure to check out the "Eating, Dinking & Being Merry" post on page 1 of this thread, which features articles and blogs about all of the seasonal foods (with photos in each one).

I will soon be typing up a fairly complete list of all of the holiday foods and where to find theml, so that people have an actual list they can print out and take with them to DLR if need be.

Wow, I'm so sad I didn't get to see DLR at Christmas until last year. That 05 shut is stunning! And I would have loved to see the Court of Angels done up for Christmas. :(

Janet --

That old NOS décor is what Bret and I always refer to as the "light canopy." It was really a series of light strands dangling over the alley, but it added such a powerful element of light to that land. It's been gone for several years, sadly.

When the light canopy vanished, the Mardi Gras masks increased in number and popped up on many lampposts. However, even those seemed to have been scaled back a bit in 2013.

The Court of Angels tree was very pretty -- mostly blue in color scheme, with crescent moon ornaments (for the "Crescent City" reference) and feathers.

Mike: I am not a fan of Halloween period!
I actually like the NBC better that the original HM... either way, not my Fave ride!:eek:

--Lori

Lori --

Really? I didn't know that you are not a Halloween fan! Do you like Fall and Harvest things, or do you just dislike all of it?

It's a strange phenomenon (Halloween), as it has picked up soooooo much steam in the last decade -- not just in neighborhoods, but on TV, in the stores, in merchandise, in food, etc. A lot of people who used to enjoy Christmas have jumped ship over to the Halloween camp. Some people never liked Christmas to begin with, so they have made Halloween their own personal Christmas.

I love Halloween -- but I love the whimsical, playful side of it (pumpkin patches, Fall décor, bowls full of brightly colored candy corn that I don't eat), not the gory, horrific, bloody side of it.

However, while I love Halloween, Fall and Harvest-y things, I love the actual holiday season more. If I had to choose between holidays and was forced to celebrate only one holiday for the rest of my life, I could live without Halloween. Can't live without Christmas, though. Nope. Not doing it. However, my Christmas celebration begins (in my mind) on November 1st!

I'm interested in this. But honestly, it all seems like a lot of fuss without a whole lot of "new". If they do a sing along, that would be great because it's new. But they've had a meet and greet in DL for a while. And they had an ice rink last year. I want NEW!

Janet --

I agree. Not a lot of "new" other than the sing-along. I want something totally new and unique to DLR!

Further, last year was the first year in a long time that Hollywood had some great holiday decorations, including the window displays, trees in front of the Hyperion, Santa and the reindeer, etc.

I fear that not only will Downtown Disney lose its new-found holiday cheer when the ice rink (and possibly the Winter Village too??) moves into DCA, but Hollywood will lose its brand new décor -- because none of that Hollywood décor from last year will work within a Frozen theme.

I know what you mean!

I would just like to know when this all starts (if this rumor is true). My DD loves to draw and we were really looking forward to the Animation Academy and we are also big fans of the Muppets and never miss their show. I hope these things are up and running when we are there but I am worried that the AA and Muppets will be closed as they transition over to Frozenland.

Misskitty3 --

At this rate, Disney is taking so long to give us a start date for the holiday season that it really makes me wonder if they are still uncertain as to if, how and when they can shoehorn Frozen into Hollywood, and are afraid to promise that everything will be up and running by whenever the start date is.

Ok ..here are a few of mine,...I am sad that this year we will not be able to see Court of Angles all done up for Christmas time. But on a Happy Note...I am going to get to see it on my Halloween trip...Having lunch at Club 33 in 7 days!!!! can not wait!!:cool1::cool1:

pattyduke34 --

Have a great time at Club 33! :cheer2::cool1:

Lori I really can't believe you don't like the theme for NBC. I guess everyone doesn't love it like I do.

I have to say that I do love it better than the original HM as well. Maybe because we only get it in small doses but I love the movie and I love everything about the overlay. With that said though I love the overlay for IASM as well. I hope I don't get flamed for this admitting this one either but I think the HM at WDW is much better than the regular version of HM at DL. I think only HM and Splash Mtn for me are better at WDW than DL but the NBC overlay of HM beats the HM at WDW. Wow that's alot of acronyms. I hope to post some shots tomorrow. Loving everyone's entries thus far!

Mike --

I have to admit that -- although I grew up with the original HM, of course, and loved it -- I, too, love HMH more. :guilty: I am so used to HMH now that I cannot imagine ever going to DLR and not seeing HMH!

I'm not even a huge fan of the NBC movie, really -- I don't hate it or even dislike it, but am just so-so about it -- but I love HMH.

1003_zpsef804402.jpg

What camera did you use for your pictures and did you use any photo software? Your pictures are amazing. I wish I could take pictures like this!

Sherry, I LOVE Fall, and Harvest! Just not Halloween!
Maybe it comes from growing up in raining Northern Ca, and my Mom never let me trick or treat?!? I just do not enjoy Halloween, and the overlay is cool, just not a fan of NBC decor'. To each their own!
:thumbsup2
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.. Christmas, and all things Christmas at DLR! its my absolute favorite time to visit DLR!
I love the Christmas music, I love the tree's, I love the holiday treats!

and...... I LOVE the Christmas movies on Lifetime and Hallmark! Cannot wait until they start!:cool1::cool1:

I will be on Maui, starting on Thursday, and I will not return until Sept 18th... so I will not post in next weeks theme, whatever it may be, until then!

Aloha!

= Lori

Sherry, I LOVE Fall, and Harvest! Just not Halloween!
Maybe it comes from growing up in raining Northern Ca, and my Mom never let me trick or treat?!? I just do not enjoy Halloween, and the overlay is cool, just not a fan of NBC decor'. To each their own!
:thumbsup2
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.. Christmas, and all things Christmas at DLR! its my absolute favorite time to visit DLR!
I love the Christmas music, I love the tree's, I love the holiday treats!

and...... I LOVE the Christmas movies on Lifetime and Hallmark! Cannot wait until they start!:cool1::cool1:

I will be on Maui, starting on Thursday, and I will not return until Sept 18th... so I will not post in next weeks theme, whatever it may be, until then!

Aloha!

= Lori

Lori --

Oh good -- at least you won't miss next week's theme entirely. You'll still make it into the theme, just a few days later than you usually post!

Have a great trip to Hawaii! :yay::yay: That reminds me -- I am craving some pineapple! I love pineapple on a hot day.

I know some folks who don't like or celebrate Halloween at all, so you're certainly not alone.

Or, some folks may think of Halloween as just a fun reason to get creative with pumpkins, but in the grand scheme of things it is not an 'important' holiday.

That's more or less how I feel -- Halloween is great fun, but in the big picture it is not super-important and meaningful. There is no 'tug-at-the-heartstrings' emotional connection to Halloween, really (although I did enjoy it as a child). I don't wipe the tears from my eyes as I watch Halloween TV specials, in other words. (Now I can't promise that I won't be reaching for the box of Kleenex during a Christmas movie, however.:lmao:)

The irony is that many, many people have jumped on the Halloween bandwagon because they find Christmas and the holiday season to be too stressful and too commercialized. However, the more popular Halloween gets as a holiday and the more that people make a huge deal out of it, I would have to think, the more it gets too commercialized and stressful too!:rotfl2:

The Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas begins on Halloween, apparently. I don't know how many actual Christmas movies will air on that date -- I tend to think that they will show something more Halloween-themed on 10/31 and then segue into the Christmas movies on 11/1 (Saturday).

Lifetime seems to start its holiday movies ("It's a Wonderful Lifetime," they call it) about 2 or 3 weeks after Hallmark's movies begin. If you have the UP channel, or Ion, or Insp, check them as well because all of those channels air new Christmas movies too!

Thanks Denise.

Janet --

That old NOS décor is what Bret and I always refer to as the "light canopy." It was really a series of light strands dangling over the alley, but it added such a powerful element of light to that land. It's been gone for several years, sadly.

When the light canopy vanished, the Mardi Gras masks increased in number and popped up on many lampposts. However, even those seemed to have been scaled back a bit in 2013.

Just as Sherry said that we called the lights over the alley of NOS during the holiday season the "light canopy". The light canopy over NOS alley made it more bright and more into the holiday season at NOS. I believe it was take out in 2010 without any strings of lights over the alley. Then in 2011, they added string of just light of bulbs over the alley and have been there since.

You can see from the pictures of what NOS is like over the years

The string of lights were over the streets of NOS in 2011 and have been there since.
8192013441_663d5cb230_c.jpg

This was in 2010 when there was no strings of lights over NOS alley
5199160923_8e9f4dd9dc_b.jpg

The old light canopy over the alley of NOS before 2010
5132958302_e77d0695c8_b.jpg

Last year with the mask replacing the wreath over the alley.

There have been more Mardi Gras masks when the light canopy were taken out in 2010 and it did seem like last year NOS Mardi Gras masks were tone down last year from the previous year.

Ever so slowly, the Winter/Christmas/Cranberry/Peppermint/Gingerbread/Sugar Cookie/Eggnog/Pine items will be sneaking up behind them!

I've seen both Peppermint and Pumpkin flavored CoffeeMate.

I love Halloween -- but I love the whimsical, playful side of it (pumpkin patches, Fall décor, bowls full of brightly colored candy corn that I don't eat), not the gory, horrific, bloody side of it.

I totally agree with you on this. I have no desire to visit haunted houses nor do I like the gory displays some people like to do in their yards.

Janet --

The Court of Angels tree was very pretty -- mostly blue in color scheme, with crescent moon ornaments (for the "Crescent City" reference) and feathers.

[Janet --

I agree. Not a lot of "new" other than the sing-along. I want something totally new and unique to DLR!

Further, last year was the first year in a long time that Hollywood had some great holiday decorations, including the window displays, trees in front of the Hyperion, Santa and the reindeer, etc.

I fear that not only will Downtown Disney lose its new-found holiday cheer when the ice rink (and possibly the Winter Village too??) moves into DCA, but Hollywood will lose its brand new décor -- because none of that Hollywood décor from last year will work within a Frozen theme.

I feel really cheated that I never got to see NOS in its glory. After seeing those photos, it's quite clear we got hosed last year. :(

And I have a funny feeling the Frozen stuff really is going to be "it" for Holidays 2014. At the very least, I hope they add an Olaf meet & greet.

Just as Sherry said that we called the lights over the alley of NOS during the holiday season the "light canopy". The light canopy over NOS alley made it more bright and more into the holiday season at NOS. I believe it was take out in 2010 without any strings of lights over the alley. Then in 2011, they added string of just light of bulbs over the alley and have been there since.

The old light canopy over the alley of NOS before 2010
5132958302_e77d0695c8_b.jpg

There have been more Mardi Gras masks when the light canopy were taken out in 2010 and it did seem like last year NOS Mardi Gras masks were tone down last year from the previous year.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that photo. And am oh so sorry I never got to see that in person.

I sort of view this along the lines of what it was like to lose the Lights of Winter a few years back at Epcot.

If Frozen is moving their meet and greet, then that place will be mobbed by people. It will probably be next to impossible to get into the academy for the drawing lessons. My DD and I love the drawing lessons and have always been able to walk right in. I guess that won't happen for us this year. It actually sounds like we might have to avoid Hollywoodland all together.

If Frozen is moving their meet and greet, then that place will be mobbed by people. It will probably be next to impossible to get into the academy for the drawing lessons. My DD and I love the drawing lessons and have always been able to walk right in. I guess that won't happen for us this year. It actually sounds like we might have to avoid Hollywoodland all together.

Actually it's looking more like it will be fastpass only for the meet and greet, so once the tickets have been distributed (probably within the first hour of the day, maybe less once everyone figures out that's what's happening) only those with tickets will be entering the queue.

The one job I would not have at any price at DLR would be standing at the end of the queue telling people all day long the line was closed and would not be reopening the rest of the day.

1003_zpsef804402.jpg

What camera did you use for your pictures and did you use any photo software? Your pictures are amazing. I wish I could take pictures like this!

Thanks Disneylover, some of these are older so they were taken on a Canon 40D, last two years I have been shooting with a Canon 7D. I shoot in raw format, so I use Photoshop Elements to convert to jpegs, sometimes I use Photomatrix for HDR photos.

Has anyone heard when the Holiday decor/theming will be added this year??? If not does anyone have a timeline from last year?? I've never been but heard so many good things! i'm assuming everything doesnt change all at once and its a gradual process?? thanks

Has anyone heard when the Holiday decor/theming will be added this year??? If not does anyone have a timeline from last year?? I've never been but heard so many good things! i'm assuming everything doesnt change all at once and its a gradual process?? thanks

surgefest --

This Dates to Remember post from page 1 of this thread may give you a good idea of when everything happened last year and this year. I have a section for this year's dates (as info trickles in) in the post, as well as last year's info.

In this thread what we have been talking about for a while is the ridiculous delay in an announcement from Disney about the official season start date of the holiday season this year. (There is even a whole blog about Tokyo Disney's holiday celebration today!!!) For the last few years the date has been announced by the Parks Blog in August (or earlier), or it has been released through some other official Disney source. This year -- they have been really quiet.

All we know officially -- directly from Disney -- is that Haunted Mansion Holiday runs through 1/6/15, so that will be the end date of the season.

The decorations slowly begin to go up before Halloween. The snow will appear on the Castle before 10/31. Holiday merchandise will appear in stores.

What I am going to assume will happen is that the Christmas Fantasy Parade will be taped over 11/7 and 11/8.

The Christmas Parade will then -- most likely -- keep running until the season officially starts, though there may be a day or two when it doesn't run.

I think that Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks and snow on Main Street will start up (unofficially) somewhere in the 11/7-11/8 range as well. I think that It's a Small World Holiday will begin at that same time.

Jingle Cruise may or may not be in holiday mode by 11/7.

The Jingle Jangle Jamboree may be partially open and partially decorated, but probably not in full swing by 11/7.

The tree lighting on Buena Vista Street -- as well as the Bell Ringers -- should be going strong by 11/7.

Most of the decorations in both parks will be in place by the 11/7-11/8 time frame, though there may be some extra trees that go up after that, and before the season begins.

I think that the season will officially begin on 11/12, 11/13 or 11/14. That's when Santa will take his post in both parks, and that's when mostly everything should be in full holiday mode (including the Enchantment Lighting of the Winter Castle).

Viva Navidad and World of Color-Winter Dreams may or may not be up and running by 11/12. If they are not in place by then, then I think they may begin on 11/14.

The Avengers Marathon weekend takes place from 11/14 - 11/16. IF anything festive is going to happen in Downtown Disney this year, it will probably be put in place after the marathon events are over.

The 3 hotels will most likely not get their trees and décor in place until after the Avengers marathon is over, but probably before the pre-Thanksgiving weekend. I would guess that the hotel décor will be most likely be in place by 11/21, but Santa and the Dickens carolers won't appear at the hotels until Thanksgiving and beyond.

:santa::santa:

Sherry!! Just found this on fb. Time to get in the Christmas spirit. Come on Disneyland. Give us a few announcements too!

CountdowntoChristmas2014_zps088efa12.jpg

TK --

I hadn't checked Facebook yet today (though I check it every day)! Thank you! It's great to have the actual dates on which the movies will air!

I had the press releases for maybe 8 of the movies coming this year (in fact, I think I posted about it in this thread quite a while back, and asked you to let me know if you wanted the info too -- and you never responded!). I also had information on a couple of others. I had titles for 10 of the movies, but I see that Hallmark changed the names of a couple of the movies since the press releases and info came out because a few of the titles are now different!

For example, Alicia Witt's movie was supposed to be called Holiday Help. Now it has a different name -- not sure which one it is (though my guess is going to be Christmas at Cartwright's ). She is supposed to be shooting it right now, in Canada. (She wears a Santa suit.)

The Christmas Shepherd is actually something that was supposed to debut on the Hallmark Movie Channel, not on the Hallmark Channel (I had the press release) -- so if Hallmark is now making that one of their 12 new movies on the actual Hallmark Channel, that leads me to believe they had to bump something else from the original line-up of 12 movies and move "Shepherd" over to Hallmark.

Finally some news from the disney blog. November 13- January 6. At work secretly on my phone so can't post a link, can someone please post for me!

Finally some news from the disney blog. November 13- January 6. At work secretly on my phone so can't post a link, can someone please post for me!

Here you go!
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...t-returns-november-13-through-january-6-2015/

This part is kind of interesting:
Downtown Disney District
Downtown Disney Winter Village
Olaf’s Frozen Ice Rink
So I guess it either means the rumors about the ice rink in DHS are not going to happen OR there will be two ice rinks in DLR this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter