Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am loving your theme idea! These photos are just awesome :)
I wonder if light canopy in NOS is gone for good, or will be back....

I just got into a double digit countdown. :banana:

You know what's funny...I didn't take any pics in NOS at night, probably because my p & s camera doesn't take even "decent" nightime shots. I do hope the "light canopies" come back this year though...they were just gorgeous!

For the camera guru's out there, I will be taking my new p & s camera and my iphone 3gs, it seems like my iphone takes better shots at night, is that because it doesn't have a flash? Check out this WoD pic I took with my phone...
WODiphone.jpg

Maybe I'll stick to taking nightime shots with my phone instead...:confused3

P.S. Sherry, I did upload a few other decent DLR/DCA Christmas photos to Photobucket, so they are ready and waiting until the right theme pops up!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

For the camera guru's out there, I will be taking my new p & s camera and my iphone 3gs, it seems like my iphone takes better shots at night, is that because it doesn't have a flash?

Hope this makes sense - I've tried to keep it fairly simple, but there's so many different things you could change to hopefully improve what your point and shoot takes :)

The quality of night photos depends on a few things:

- The size of the "hole" behind the camera lens (aperture)
- how long you leave the shutter open for when taking the picture (shutter speed)
- how sensitive the camera sensor (the bit that actually takes the picture) is set to be to any light (ISO)
- the size and quality of the camera sensor (bigger sensor = better night pictures)
- anything "special" that the camera does to pictures once it's taken them

the top 3 of these can often be changed on a point and shoot - if you haven't got manual controls (usually labelled something like P,A,S,M on the wheel / menu of the camera) then you've probably got a night mode buried somewhere.

The best bet is to have a play with the camera and see what you can get - it took me ages to work out how to get reasonable night pictures, then I discovered the ISO setting and suddenly they were coming out much better - my point and shoot just couldn't get it right by itself, so i had to manually tell it to use a higher ISO number.

The iPhone on the other hand is completely automated and has been optimised to take good night pictures to make things easy.

Having said all that - if you've got the flash on in a big area like downtown disney then it may well cause the pictures to come out darker because the camera assumes it will get a lot of light from the flash and so sets itself up for that. But - in a big area, the flash gets "lost" and the camera can't use it, so you end up with really dark photos. So - if you can turn the flash off on your point and shoot, that should also help things as it will adjust its settings to cope.

Question!!!

I am going on December 1-4 to celebrate my birthday with my boyfriend. What are some nice romantic things to do around DL for Christmas and birthday combined? I am a big fairytale kind of person and sucker for romance. I want it to be a nice calming trip. I know the candle light thing is the 3rd but we plan on seeing WOC that night instead so we beat the crowds. Im looking to take the trip nice and slow and truly enjoy Disney. Any romantic or fun suggestions for my birthday and christmas combined?

Thanks!

Question!!!

I am going on December 1-4 to celebrate my birthday with my boyfriend. What are some nice romantic things to do around DL for Christmas and birthday combined? I am a big fairytale kind of person and sucker for romance. I want it to be a nice calming trip. I know the candle light thing is the 3rd but we plan on seeing WOC that night instead so we beat the crowds. Im looking to take the trip nice and slow and truly enjoy Disney. Any romantic or fun suggestions for my birthday and christmas combined?

Thanks!

Good question! I hope some of our DIS'ers can come up with a few great ideas for you.

I don't know if this would necessarily be considered a romantic thing to do but it's certainly a Christmasy thing to do - you might want to mosey over to the Grand Californian Hotel lobby in the evening, grab a beverage from the Hearthstone Lounge, and either sit by the fire or curl up on one of the comfy chairs/sofas in the lobby, by the giant tree. It's a really festive atmosphere, and it's free!

Santa and a PhotoPass photographer hold court on one side of the GCH tree. When Santa takes a break, at some point Dickens carolers come in to sing and take requests on the other side of the tree. When the carolers are not performing, there is a pianist and a guitarist who trade off playing holiday favorites to keep the ambiance going.

Also, I don't know if you and your boyfriend are foodies and fond of fine dining, but people love, love, love the Napa Rose restaurant in the GCH. Maybe you could eat there as a special occasion kind of thing.

Good question! I hope some of our DIS'ers can come up with a few great ideas for you.

I don't know if this would necessarily be considered a romantic thing to do but it's certainly a Christmasy thing to do - you might want to mosey over to the Grand Californian Hotel lobby in the evening, grab a beverage from the Hearthstone Lounge, and either sit by the fire or curl up on one of the comfy chairs/sofas in the lobby, by the giant tree. It's a really festive atmosphere, and it's free!

Santa and a PhotoPass photographer hold court on one side of the GCH tree. When Santa takes a break, at some point Dickens carolers come in to sing and take requests on the other side of the tree. When the carolers are not performing, there is a pianist and a guitarist who trade off playing holiday favorites to keep the ambiance going.

Also, I don't know if you and your boyfriend are foodies and fond of fine dining, but people love, love, love the Napa Rose restaurant in the GCH. Maybe you could eat there as a special occasion kind of thing.

The fireplace sounds very romantic. I like that idea. After some WOC just enjoy some relaxing fire. haha.

Im not a big santa fan, but I love carolers.
I am a foodie. I went to culinary school. The first night we are going to go to the Blue Bayou. I always wanted to eat there and I heard it is delicious. Dinner wasnt planned though for the second day, so maybe some Napa Rose would be good. Im not old enough to drink yet but Im sure it will still be great without wine.

Question!!!

Thanks!

Disneyland at night is so romantic. My idea is similar to Sherry's but I thought about grabbing a warm drink, with or without booze, and curling up next to the fireplace in the lobby area. The Christmas Tree is amazing.

Another vote for the Napa Rose. If you are wanting a less expensive meal but still romantic/cool and in DTD, we like the UVA bar.

Sarah -

Welcome!:cheer2: I am so glad you've joined us here, and I am so glad you have your very first DLR holiday trip in the works!:yay:

This little thread is just really starting to pick up some steam (over the last couple of weeks or so), as people get into the details of their holiday trip planning. Stay tuned - there will be a new photo "theme" each week as we count down to the start date of the season (11/14). Two weeks ago we did Santa's Reindeer Round-Up. Last week we did all aspects of Main Street (the tree, window displays, decorations, etc.). This week, of course, is New Orleans Square. On Monday I will announce the next theme!

In the meantime, if you haven't had time to do so already, be sure to check out Page 1 of this thread - Post #1 (intro w/ thumbnails), Post #2 (photo Table of Contents) and Post #3 (all kinds of good info and links on every aspect of the season you could imagine) - to really get a good idea of what treats await you at DLR this Christmas!!

Your trip and my trip will overlap a bit - I will be at DLR until 12/5! I want to try to catch the Candlelight Processional if at all possible (if I can nab a seat).

Thanks for the welcome! :goodvibes

Our only real plan for the trip is to take everything at a toddler pace... we learned our lesson taking our son to WDW when he was 5 months old. The trip must revolve around what he wants to do! :rotfl: But I'm guessing he won't be much into standing in line, so we'll probably spend a lot of time wandering around checking out the pretty lights and shiny decorations!

Disneyland at night is so romantic. Sherry grabbed my idea but I thought about grabbing a warm drink, with or without booze, and curling up next to the fireplace in the lobby area. The Christmas Tree is amazing.

Another vote for the Napa Rose. If you are wanting a less expensive meal but still romantic and in DTD, we like the UVA bar.

Maybe I should bring a warm blanket with us so we can curl up together. That sounds amazing. :love:

The first night we arrive is thursday and I was trying to figure out what to do for Dinner. So I think I might go for the Uva bar. What kind of food is it? Is it loud or quiet?

Friday is Disneyland and the Blue Bayou for dinner. Saturday is DCA and park hopping, then WOC and maybe Napa rose for dinner and some snuggling by a tree together. So it is free to go and be by the fire? How cold does it get? Do non resort guests do this a lot?

sorry for all the questions. Im a planner. I like to plan things out and make them perfect.

I just booked our trip for Dec. 4th through Dec. 9th....SO EXCITED!!! :woohoo: My question is on Dec. 4th will it be incredibly busy since it will be a candlelight processional day? Also, are the rides going during the processional? :confused3 My family is not to interested in watching and wanted to ride the rides instead. Thanks!:worship:

I am almost in tears.
We planned to be at the Resort Nov 15-17 (Tues thru Thurs) to celebrate both my daughter's 3rd birthday, and the holidays at Disney.
As she is a big princess fan, we were hoping to see the Princess Coronation and Storytelling for the first time.
But I just read in this post that they will only be having those shows Friday thru Sunday.
My husband is not a big fan of crowds, thus why we planned the mid-week trip.
Any suggestions on how to make it work for all of us?

We will be there November 26 through December 2. I am beyond excited to go! Its been a couple of years since we have been able to enjoy the Christmas time celebrations so my wife and I are really looking forward to it. To make it even more special we are not telling the kids we are going :goodvibes just let them see the signs as we approach the park. But wait it gets better, we are all getting premium passes :thumbsup2:cool1: .

I've been lurking for awhile now and decided to introduce myself! I've been to Disneyland and WDW many times (and annual passholders at both) but never at Christmas so we are sooo excited for this trip. We're coming from Canada and have the Disneyland hotel booked from November 30-Dec13. I have a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old. I love Christmas and Disney so this trip will be like a dream come true for us - a nice long leisurely trip to take it all in.

I do have one question. Can anyone explain in further detail the Candlelight Processional? From what I understand it brings huge crowds but that doesn't really bother me considering we'll have lots of days to see everything else. Is there any way to guarantee a seat (even showing up really early?). Where does it take place?

Thank's everyone. BTW I love the thread and all the pictures! :santa:

I am almost in tears.
We planned to be at the Resort Nov 15-17 (Tues thru Thurs) to celebrate both my daughter's 3rd birthday, and the holidays at Disney.
As she is a big princess fan, we were hoping to see the Princess Coronation and Storytelling for the first time.
But I just read in this post that they will only be having those shows Friday thru Sunday.
My husband is not a big fan of crowds, thus why we planned the mid-week trip.
Any suggestions on how to make it work for all of us?

The princesses are sure to be available somewhere and sometime in the park. A three-year-old won't know the difference if it's a Coronation ceremony or just a meet and greet. If you don't make a big deal about the difference, I'm sure she won't. My grown children don't even remember their early trips to DL and WDW. It was mostly for us to enjoy watching them in the moment. Just enjoy the experience, and your little princess will, too.

Well.... it looks like the dates for the taping of the Christmas parade are floating around online. Thanks to other DISer who posted this thread.

The parade taping will be on Nov 4th & 5th.

Here is the link to dance website.

Man- the DLR night crew is going to be BUSY that week! :scared1::santa:

December is coming, December is coming!!!

Is it just me, or does it seem like the time is flying?

Greetings! From what I can find, there is no dates confirmed for the Candlelight procession..when are these typically announced?

Greetings! From what I can find, there is no dates confirmed for the Candlelight procession..when are these typically announced?

The Candlelight Processional will be held on December 3rd and 4th this year -that's confirmed! D23 was giving away a dinner package prize for it at their recent event.

I am loving this thread. I absolutely love New Orleans Sqaure's Christmas decorations. The pictures have been wonderful....thanks to everyone who has posted them. I'm crossing my fingers (and my toes) that they bring back the light canopies....sigh. So pretty. Can't wait until next week's area of the park is announced. This is such a fun way to count down!

The princesses are sure to be available somewhere and sometime in the park. A three-year-old won't know the difference if it's a Coronation ceremony or just a meet and greet. If you don't make a big deal about the difference, I'm sure she won't. My grown children don't even remember their early trips to DL and WDW. It was mostly for us to enjoy watching them in the moment. Just enjoy the experience, and your little princess will, too.
Thanks, reading your response brought me back to reality.
It is funny how one can get caught up in visions of a perfect Disney trip, and yet, I know if we don't see the Coronation or Storytelling...we will still have an amazing time.
Maybe we will have breakfast at Ariel's Grotto to make up for the lack of Coronation & Storytelling.
What kind of princess interaction is there at Ariel's Charachter Meal?
Is Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter