Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few pictures but my camera told me the battery was full and then poof after only about 20 pictures or so it said it was too low to take any more. :eek:

I've had that happen before - it can mean that your battery will no longer hold a charge. Have you had the battery for a while? It's a bummer when it happens because you keep charging it, thinking maybe you didn't or some other explanation, and then it dies on you quickly.

We waited in line for Candy Canes so we were kind of stuck on Main St until we got our tickets.

You got candy canes?!? Do tell - you'll be the first to post that you actually got some!!!

But that is when my son got antsy and I asked if he wanted to take pictures. Here are a few of his, some Christmas and some not

Tell your son he did a great job!!!

My submission for the Wreath Quest!
DLHoliday2010_054.jpg

I do believe this is one we haven't seen before - great eye!!

Thanks for posting Sue!

Nice lights anamax, i wonder where you got them..... lol...

that is a new one..

I've had that happen before - it can mean that your battery will no longer hold a charge. Have you had the battery for a while? It's a bummer when it happens because you keep charging it, thinking maybe you didn't or some other explanation, and then it dies on you quickly.
It said a full battery until I pushed the button to focus and then I looked at it and it had gone from full to almost empty. We have had it for about 5-6 years? Maybe? It's a Nikon D70 but we have 2 batteries that we switch back and forth with but I will see if it happens with the other one.

You got candy canes?!? Do tell - you'll be the first to post that you actually got some!!!
OK, here was our plan. We made sure we were there and they were making Candy Canes on a Magic Morning. Being it was a Saturday, I was expecting to be in the back of a very long line. So DLR opened @ 8 , with MM @ 7. We made ourselves a promise to be in line @ 6:30, a promise that is hard as I am NOT a morning person. We got to the ticket lines right around 6:30 as I told DH not to mention what time it was to me. :laughing: We were about the 3 group in our line as the people in the front of our line were picked to open the park! :dance3: Once we did the countdown, we hustled over to the Candy Shop to get into line. I would say we were probably the 10th in line, maybe? The hardest part was the waiting as they don't hand out the tickets until 8 & I have mixed feelings about being in a line like that, leaving DH behind and taking DS on rides. I think if I am waiting in line I need to wait. Plus I have a fear of not being there to get a ticket. We had promised a few family members one for Christmas. Anyway, they handed out these very little pieces of paper (head thunk...didn't take a picture) to each person who wanted them that said they were entitled to 2 candy canes. Make sure you put them in a safe place because that is the only way to get your fresh Candy Cane. Because we were part of the first group we were told to be back @ 9 to pick them up. We could have watched them being made at that point by DS was not going to be put through more torture. :sad2: The length of the line went down the street to Carnation Cafe and then they looped it back and ended just about across from the entrance to the Candy Shop. There was a cast member who kept counting and making sure everyone stayed in a single file line for most of the time. I don't recall anyone being turned away but I was in charge of keeping DS entertained. :hug: We went over (with DS clicking my camera until we got to HHM and then it died) to HHM then Jungle Cruise and back to get our fresh candy! We got there to find 2-3 people in line to get their candy canes and many more people asking if they can get some. There were lots of CM helping out so the line went quickly. As we were buying our 6 candy canes, I felt a little guilty for buying so many but they will all go to good homes within our family. They won't get e-bay-ed. :surfweb: They taste wonderful. Not too much peppermint as some candy canes have a bit too much. You can bite into it with out too much trouble. I almost felt like I should cry when I whacked it to break it into pieces to eat. :cloud9: We ate about 3/4 of it on our drive home.
A note to anyone who can't do this, you can check back around 3:30 or 4:00PM to see if any candy canes didn't get picked up and buy them at that time but it is no guarantee. The ones that aren't made there are the redder ones and they had a bunch of those. I was surprised as to how big they really are!
DLHoliday2010_001_01.jpg

DLHoliday2010_002_01.jpg

Tell your son he did a great job!!!
I will pass that on. Thank you!

Thanks for posting Sue!
It was my pleasure as all of you were so helpful in my planning. Just trying to pass it on. :grouphug:
Later!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my b/w shots.

One more shot looking dead on back to the train station. Yes it was very crowded that day. Like Sherry stated back in thread #1...its fun to look at all the people in these shots. I guess not so much fun to be stuck in the middle of them though.

IMG_0140-1.jpg

Sue, I saw you in the candy cane line! My daughter and I were on our way to Minnie's for breakfast when we noticed the line.

Congrats on getting some. I wouldn't have the heart to eat them, I would have made ornaments out of mine.

Maybe next year. :thumbsup2

Here are a few of my photos from Santa's Reindeer Round-Up at Big Thunder Ranch, including some of the reindeer themselves!

Okay, I will admit I haven't taken the time to read through ALL of the Christmas thread #1 :rolleyes1

But tell me more about these Candy Canes!! We're heading there in a week and this is the first I've heard about them?! Any other specific little things we should be sure to know?? We're WDW Christmas pros but I feel so lost regarding Christmas at DL :confused:

OK, here was our plan. We made sure we were there and they were making Candy Canes on a Magic Morning. Being it was a Saturday, I was expecting to be in the back of a very long line. So DLR opened @ 8 , with MM @ 7. We made ourselves a promise to be in line @ 6:30, a promise that is hard as I am NOT a morning person. We got to the ticket lines right around 6:30 as I told DH not to mention what time it was to me. :laughing:

Loved reading this story! So cool that you got some! :banana:

Okay, I will admit I haven't taken the time to read through ALL of the Christmas thread #1 :rolleyes1

But tell me more about these Candy Canes!! We're heading there in a week and this is the first I've heard about them?! Any other specific little things we should be sure to know?? We're WDW Christmas pros but I feel so lost regarding Christmas at DL :confused:
The dates that I have that are left that they will be doing Candy Canes are: Dec 17, 21, 24 & 29. Those could have changed so to be sure you should call the hot line for what they will be making that week 714-781-0112. It is in the candy shop near the end of Main St. & I would highly suggest you be near the gate at opening on the day you want to get some.

jls889 - I would also HIGHLY recommend getting the Holiday Tour especially if you are new to the Disneyland version of Christmas. Lots of info and wonderful things to see. Plus you don't have to wait in the lines to see some of the more Holiday decorated rides!

Hey, did anyone do the Gingerbread Houses @ Brennans Jazz Kitchen? I thought about it but we already had too much planned. Maybe next year.

Hi Everyone, We only have a few days left till we fly from San Francisco to Disneyland on the 29th.. I was wondering what kind of weather are they expecting down there for next week? Up north here we are expecting rain the rest of this week and next week till Wednesday. I am hoping the rain just moves east toward Denver and does not go down south. We will have our rain gear with us anyway.

Hi everyone, just checking in to add some more photos I took today.

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Tomorrow will wrap our trip up. We will go to the parks in the morning then head to the airport in the afternoon for an evening flight back to Seattle.

This was definitely a different trip than we are used to. The crowds were quite large and it made enjoying the park hard. I didn't take too many pictures because you could barely stop without creating a traffic jam. I have to say that the beginning of December is no longer a "nice" quiet time to go. I think everyone got that memo and decided to go then. We also had both our girls get sick and cut short 1.5 days of our touring plans. Thankfully both were up and ready to go today.

Just as a final note, it took us 35 minutes to 'escape' the parking garage today. We pulled our car out of it's spot on Daisy level at 7:10 and didn't get out of the garage until 7:45. DL closed at 6 pm after the fireworks for the CM party so I don't know why there were so many people leaving at 7, but it was a traffic jam!

Thank you so much for the link, Flitterific! I am at the parks today actually, and may go around to the various restaurants just to take pictures of the desserts. :)

You're very welcome! Please share your pictures with us when you get back :goodvibes

[/CENTER][/FONT]

Jazz - awesome pictures of NOS and the Reindeer Round-up but I especially liked the picture of the mask above. I should really experiment more with taking photos of things from various angles. I will be taking a 3 hour crash course in photography next month so hopefully it'll inspire me to take some more artistic shots like yours :thumbsup2

I agree that old batteries drain easily. I also found that all my batteries drains easier at night when it is cold. On my last trip, my camera kept telling me that the batteries were low even though I had literally put in a new battery less than 5 minutes ago. DBF told me to hold them in my hand to warm them up and that helped their battery life...I kept changing back and forth between the three batteries I had and was able to last a few hours with them :rotfl:

This was definitely a different trip than we are used to. The crowds were quite large and it made enjoying the park hard. I didn't take too many pictures because you could barely stop without creating a traffic jam. I have to say that the beginning of December is no longer a "nice" quiet time to go. I think everyone got that memo and decided to go then. We also had both our girls get sick and cut short 1.5 days of our touring plans. Thankfully both were up and ready to go today.

specialks - thanks for sharing your pictures, especially the ones of Santa's house. I actually didn't have a chance to visit Santa because the line was super long so I appreciate you posting those pictures. By the way, your daughters are adorable! :goodvibes

Anyway, I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your trip as much as you would've liked. I went during Thanksgiving weekend when it is supposed to be relatively slow only to find that it was really crowded (but I didn't mind too much as it was nothing compared to the crazy crowds I experienced last Christmas weekend). I overheard a CM tell someone that it was the busiest Thanksgiving that she's seen in the past 13 years she's worked there! :scared1: So I think that as more and more people find out about the magic of Disney during the holidays through the increased ads/commercials, the parks will get more and more crowded. Plus, the economy definitely plays a part in it (it's a lot cheaper for Californians to take a family vacation at DLR than to say, travel out of state). Hopefully you and your family will still make the most out of your last day. Enjoy the rest of your trip! :santa:

Jazz - awesome pictures of NOS and the Reindeer Round-up but I especially liked the picture of the mask above. I should really experiment more with taking photos of things from various angles. I will be taking a 3 hour crash course in photography next month so hopefully it'll inspire me to take some more artistic shots like yours :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Thank you!!

Good luck with your photography crash-course. That was a very big first step for me and you can learn a lot. But the biggest thing I ever learned was to not be afraid to move around. Heck, I've even laid down on the ground to get a shot that I wanted. Those ones almost always turn out best for me.

So we got back last night. We mainly went all day Saturday and a little Sunday morning.
I have to say we were in shorts and short sleeves once the fog burned off Saturday and Sunday there wasn't even a reason to put long pants on in the morning!

Nice to hear it was shorts weather! Sounds similar to when I went in Oct. I hope it will be nice enough for shorts when I go in January!
nice photos! your son took some good ones too!

Hi everyone, just checking in to add some more photos I took today.
your daughers are beyond adorable! and seeing all these photos of people in shorts and short sleeves is giving me hope for nice weather next month when I go to DLR!!
It is kinda funny seeing kids in shorts sitting on santas lap though! :rotfl:

The dates that I have that are left that they will be doing Candy Canes are: Dec 17, 21, 24 & 29. Those could have changed so to be sure you should call the hot line for what they will be making that week 714-781-0112. It is in the candy shop near the end of Main St. & I would highly suggest you be near the gate at opening on the day you want to get some.

jls889 - I would also HIGHLY recommend getting the Holiday Tour especially if you are new to the Disneyland version of Christmas. Lots of info and wonderful things to see. Plus you don't have to wait in the lines to see some of the more Holiday decorated rides!

Hey, did anyone do the Gingerbread Houses @ Brennans Jazz Kitchen? I thought about it but we already had too much planned. Maybe next year.

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the information!! Everyone at the DIS is always so helpful! I'm slowly but surely feeling like I'm starting to understand DL at Christmas. I think we may end up doing that tour as well after all of the positive reviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter