Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #2 (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NewbieMouse and Kauinohea (and everyone else who "Saved" offers on the DLR website and is waiting for a PIN code) - I JUST GOT ANOTHER PIN CODE OFFER!:cool1:

Actually, to be honest, the dates I plugged in were for early October - like October 7th-ish to 9th or 10th. I was looking at possible Halloween trips (just a short one, as the Christmas trip is the big trip). Once again, I saved the offer - for PPH only. This was just a few days ago - not long at all.

Today, I receved an e-mail with a PIN code for the PPH - $163 again, the GCH - $247, and the DLH - $180-something.

BUT - here is the catch. This time, the dates are very limited. In fact, DLR is not letting me use the PIN for the dates I plugged in. They are letting me use the PIN for something like 10/17 - 10/31, which is actually NOT when I really wanted to go. Hmmm.....

So, I am glad to say that the "Saved Offer" trick is alive and kicking and still working, even though I didn't get the specific dates I wanted in October. I might still use it, though, if I have $$$.

OMG, there is hope!!!! Please please please come my way PIN CODE! Good for you Sherry....looks like there may be an extra trip in your future!

OMG, there is hope!!!! Please please please come my way PIN CODE! Good for you Sherry....looks like there may be an extra trip in your future!

I am thinking they sent me my PIN now because it's an October date I was looking at. You and NewbieMouse were looking at dates later in the year, so perhaps DLR will wait a bit longer to see if you guys book at the crazy rates before they roll out the PIN's.

Last year they sent me a PIN that covered the dates I wanted. And this year they sent usedmedia a PIN that covered a couple of different blocks of dates. So I'm not sure why I got a block of time other than the dates I plugged in this year:confused3, but I'm happy to have gotten it at all and am thrilled to see that the Saved Offers trick still works!:cool1:

There is, indeed, hope for everyone!:cool1::yay:

I am thinking they sent me my PIN now because it's an October date I was looking at. You and NewbieMouse were looking at dates later in the year, so perhaps DLR will wait a bit longer to see if you guys book at the crazy rates before they roll out the PIN's.

Last year they sent me a PIN that covered the dates I wanted. And this year they sent usedmedia a PIN that covered a couple of different blocks of dates. So I'm not sure why I got a block of time other than the dates I plugged in this year:confused3, but I'm happy to have gotten it at all and am thrilled to see that the Saved Offers trick still works!:cool1:

There is, indeed, hope for everyone!:cool1::yay:

Thank you, Sherry! I hope I am so lucky. Because it's just the GCH I want, I'll probably delete the DLH & PPH saved offers, and just cross my fingers that one comes through for the holiday DISers hoping to stay on site.

PIN codes are only for Hotel Rooms, right? Just want to make sure that I am not messing up by purchasing 6 day hoppers from Get Away Today at old prices....I BELIEVE that a PIN code is on its way to me...just wondering if they sometimes require you to purchase tickets and hotel to qualify for any offered discount.

Thank you in advance :flower3:

Woo hoo!:woohoo: You added days! So now how many days in DLR is that going to be all together? I'm so happy for you - 2 extra days of magic!:santa:

If I keep the current 7-day reservation at the PPH for late November/early Christmas, it will be my longest stay at DLR and my longest trip to DLR, ever. My original plan was to cut off a couple of days once I narrow down which of my friends are joining me at which times. But even 5 nights on-property would be longer than any of my previous stays!

And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Eight days now Monday to the following Tuesday. Lots of time to do everything even with the crowds and to soak up the Christmas spirit.

I hope you get to have the whole 7 days, you deserve lots of magic after the year so far. It's a shame we are going at the different ends of December.

We did eight days last time we were there, when you travel so far you have to make it worth it.

Its good to see so many people excited about going at christmas time :cool1:
Noone in my real life besides DD & DH understand my disney excitement.

Can i ask for those who have been in Nov/Dec before how important are PS at this time? I plan on making them for Goofys & Minnies but we are going to be in Anaheim for 24 days. We plan on doing a few day trips but mainly at Disneyland/DCA and i have no idea what we will feel like doing then to make too many in advance. Could i call the day before and get into most places?

PIN codes are only for Hotel Rooms, right? Just want to make sure that I am not messing up by purchasing 6 day hoppers from Get Away Today at old prices....I BELIEVE that a PIN code is on its way to me...just wondering if they sometimes require you to purchase tickets and hotel to qualify for any offered discount.

Thank you in advance :flower3:

Kauinohea -

All the PIN codes I've gotten have been specifically for hotel rooms. In the past, I think Disney has e-mailed out some special package offers which included tickets, of course, but they didn't have PIN codes attached and they were not as exclusive. The actual PIN codes are for hotels only. I think you should be okay with getting the tickets from GAT.

And these particular 35% off PIN's being sent out in conjunction with the Saved Offers trick seem to be pretty exclusive - like they are only sent to people who save the offers and show an interest in staying onsite. Not very many people know about them, from what CM's told me last year. Other offers may surface through the course of the year, but they could be slightly higher rates than these PIN's. Honestly, these PIN's are even better rates than some of the good AP rates I have seen in the past. I think the last AP rate I used to stay onsite for the holidays was $179 per night, not $163.

Also, another interesting thing about these 'special' PIN codes from the Saved Offers trick is that you are not forced to book more than one night! You know how some offers have a 2-night minimum? Not this one. For example, if you decided to stay somewhere else and then end your DLR trip with one night onsite, you could do that with this PIN as it can be used for only 1 night, too (and more nights, if you choose)!

You can also book up to TWO rooms with this PIN code, so if you happen to be traveling with friends or family and you can't all share one room, you can book a second room at the same PIN rate!:cool1:

The other different/interesting thing I noticed about the PIN I got yesterday - besides the fact that it did not include the dates I plugged in and saved (and remember, that PIN yesterday was not for the holidays but, rather, for HalloweenTiime) - is that I have to book the room by July 20th to claim the PIN.

Last year, when I used the PIN for my December trip, I don't think there was an expiration date on it in which to claim it. It just had the usual fine print about "subject to availability of rooms." But it didn't say, "claim by XX date." So now I have about 5 weeks to decide if I can use the PIN they offered me for the block of October 16-31, even though those were not the dates I wanted! Otherwise it will expire and I don't know if they will send me another one. The PIN I got last year had bigger blocks of time. This one I got yesterday only has about a 2-week span of time in which I can use it.

It's possible that everyone here who is waiting on a PIN code for their holiday trips may get one with an expiration date as well, but since the dates you want are for holiday trips a bit later in the year than the October dates I wanted, your expiration date may be later than July 20!

Its good to see so many people excited about going at christmas time :cool1:
Noone in my real life besides DD & DH understand my disney excitement.

Can i ask for those who have been in Nov/Dec before how important are PS at this time? I plan on making them for Goofys & Minnies but we are going to be in Anaheim for 24 days. We plan on doing a few day trips but mainly at Disneyland/DCA and i have no idea what we will feel like doing then to make too many in advance. Could i call the day before and get into most places?

Ihaveamickeymousekid - You bet we are excited about DLR at Christmas time! There is no time that is more magical than that time at the parks! So we all totally understand your excitement!:cool1: To be honest, I don't think any of my friends understand my excitement over the holidays at DLR either. They enjoy it when they go. They think it's pretty and fun. But they don't get giddy at the thought of it months and months in advance like I do!:rotfl2:

We've got 5 months before the holiday season starts at DLR - and we still don't know if the opening date will be 11/11/11 or 11/18/11, and if the ending date will be 1/1/12 or 1/2/12, or some other date (that's when our very own Tksbaskets will take photos of the holiday removal process as it unfolds!). But time will fly by and the season will be here before you know it!

As to your question about making dining reservations, I will be interested in hearing what other folks say.

In my opinion, if it's Blue Bayou you want, you should book it ahead of time. Otherwise, since most of the restaurants allow walk-ups anyway, you could still always be seated even without a PS - just with a longer wait. You will have many days in Anaheim, so if you can't get a good PS for one time slot, you can always try another day.

I think it will be absolutely fine to call and make PS's the day before - the worst thing that would happen is that the Dining folks tell you that a particular time slot is not available. Then you could either take whichever time slot is available, or just do a walk-up without a reservation, or you could reschedule for another day at the time you want.

The one place - other than character meals or Blue Bayou - that I really find a reservation to be helpful during the holiday season (but not mandatory) is Carnation Cafe. This is simply because the darn seating is so limited at Carnation (though, according to deejdigsdis' recent chat with Oscar the Chef, plans are underway to re-expand the seating at Carnation to make it like it used to be back in the '90s - outdoor and indoor tables!). Right now, they simply cannot accommodate a lot of diners at one time. So the line of people waiting for tables builds up rapidly, and sometimes the wait can be long. We once waited about 45 minutes for a table at Carnation - in December. It's not always quite that bad, but that is one restaurant where I would try to get a PS a bit in advance if you can.

Alright Sherry. A few questions. What are the chances that Christmas will be a hard ticket event like Halloween? If they did that and we bought a one day hard ticket for the Christmas season could we upgrade to an seasonal pass that day we went in? Or does hard ticket events not count towards an upgrade? How did they kick people out last year at Halloween if they didn't have the hard ticket? So many questions.

Thanks for the reply Sherry its great to have your insight. We wont be eating at the Blue Bayou because its a little too pricy for us plus i think DD would be restless and it would just make it a bad experience for the other diners so we will be going to Cafe Orleans instead. We ate there about 3 times last trip so we know its a winner.

How busy is it likley to be at christmas time, we are there from 26 Nov - 20 Dec, i expect as it gets closer to christmas to get busier but we have only been in October and May so im not really sure of what to expect crowd wise.

I have no support on going back to Disney again except from DD and DH of course, everyone we tell cannot believe we are going back. Most tell us it is a waste of money going for a third time, that surely we have done everything it will be so boring etc etc...
I think the problem is here is Australia there are some theme parks but none of them have that Disneyland "magic" and people dont get it if they havent been there. There are a few Aussie Disers obviously who understand the appeal, but on the whole people are not happy for us where as we are so excited.

I try to convince people how good it is but alas they are not interested :sad2:

Some people are immune from the magic too i think, my mum came with us the first trip and all she did was complain, about everything..the hotel was too noisy, the food was too expensive, the lines were too long etc... We just dont see it, we must have our disneyland googles on, we are just so happy to be there.

I love coming on here because at least i am in a world that understands me..:lmao:

Alright Sherry. A few questions. What are the chances that Christmas will be a hard ticket event like Halloween? If they did that and we bought a one day hard ticket for the Christmas season could we upgrade to an seasonal pass that day we went in? Or does hard ticket events not count towards an upgrade? How did they kick people out last year at Halloween if they didn't have the hard ticket? So many questions.

Hi, Mike!

Well, I think that I'm not alone on this forum (or in this thread) in thinking that the possibility of a hard ticket Christmas party at DLR is inevitable. The Halloween parties are way too successful for them not to attempt a Christmas party too.

The question is...when will this happen? Will it be this year? Will it be next year when all the work in DCA is done? And where will it be? Will DLR decide to try the first year of a Christmas party in DCA? There has been a rumor about a future holiday version of World of Color, after all. So having a party in DCA could mean that a holiday WoC becomes the focus. Plus, holding such a party in DCA would be a good way to start off having a Christmas party without interrupting the usual schedule of snow, fireworks and parades that have been part of DL's holiday agenda for years and years and years. If those things that people have come to expect suddenly became party exclusives, people would probably be ticked off. But if a party started out in DCA, that would be sort of fresh territory and no existing holiday activities would be held hostage.

There has also been a rumor of the Candlelight Processional eventually moving over to DCA, in the next year or two. We don't know if this will happen, BUT if it were to happen, then I think a Christmas party would almost certainly be held in DL. That way, DLR could have a signature holiday event (the CP) in one park and a signature holiday event (the party) in the other park.

Of course, IF the inevitable Christmas party were to be held in DCA, surely it would not be this year. Too much construction....

...Which then has me wondering if DLR may decide to have a party in DL this year to sort of detract from the fact that DCA is not very holiday-ish in the midst of all the construction.:confused3:rotfl2:

So right now we just have to proceed as though it will be the usual holiday schedule at DLR this year until we hear otherwise. At this point, there is no solid reason to think a party could begin in 2011.

It seems to me like someone else on the DIS mentioned that they asked a CM and found out they could upgrade their Halloween party ticket to another kind of ticket. It wouldn't have occurred to me to do that, but I guess the dollar amount of a party ticket can just as easily be put towards a ticket of a higher level as any other ticket can, so I don't think you'd have a problem doing that.

I missed the Halloween party last year, so I cannot say first-hand what happened in DL (I plan to catch it this year), but there was a wrist band system for the party guests, and apparently CM's started checking for the wrist bands at rides, restaurants and shops after the time the non-party guests were supposed to be gone.

Thanks for the reply Sherry its great to have your insight. We wont be eating at the Blue Bayou because its a little too pricy for us plus i think DD would be restless and it would just make it a bad experience for the other diners so we will be going to Cafe Orleans instead. We ate there about 3 times last trip so we know its a winner.

How busy is it likley to be at christmas time, we are there from 26 Nov - 20 Dec, i expect as it gets closer to christmas to get busier but we have only been in October and May so im not really sure of what to expect crowd wise.

I have no support on going back to Disney again except from DD and DH of course, everyone we tell cannot believe we are going back. Most tell us it is a waste of money going for a third time, that surely we have done everything it will be so boring etc etc...
I think the problem is here is Australia there are some theme parks but none of them have that Disneyland "magic" and people dont get it if they havent been there. There are a few Aussie Disers obviously who understand the appeal, but on the whole people are not happy for us where as we are so excited.

I try to convince people how good it is but alas they are not interested :sad2:

Some people are immune from the magic too i think, my mum came with us the first trip and all she did was complain, about everything..the hotel was too noisy, the food was too expensive, the lines were too long etc... We just dont see it, we must have our disneyland googles on, we are just so happy to be there.

I love coming on here because at least i am in a world that understands me..:lmao:

Ihaveamickeymousekid - You're welcome! I think that latter part of November (after Thanksgiving weekend) into early December will have the lowest crowds of the season. That's why I chose my 11/28 - 12/5 dates this year - to take advantage of the lower crowds I have only heard about!:rotfl2:

Otherwise, yes, you're right - in December, the closer it gets to Christmas, the busier it gets. Actually, around the mid-month point in December the crowds begin to pick up and it's a steady climb after that, with the peak of crowds being between Christmas and New Year's.

So you will have a good chunk of time at DLR without really bad crowds. I think October has gotten more popular over the last few years - I know it seemed much more crowded the last couple of times I visited for Halloween Time. But late November/early December should be a good time, because it's in between the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, and many people will be back at work and school. It may even seem less busy than October in that time frame.

I know what you mean about other amusement or theme parks lacking the same magic that Disney parks have. It's so true! Here in Southern California, we've got Knott's Berry Farm - which is charming in its own way, but not what I would call "magical." We've got Universal Studios Hollywood - not magical at all, but fun. We've got Sea World - again, fun, but not magical. We've got Six Flags/Magic Mountain - not magical in the least bit, and is really only for hard core thrill ride lovers. And we've got some zoos, some aquariums and a Safari Park and all that. None of them are magical!

Disney - and especially DLR - offers a special brand of entertainment that really taps into emotions, nostalgia and childhood like no other park can. Of course it offers fun rides, too, but there is just an overall personality or character to it that cannot be matched anywhere else. The details at DLR are just outstanding, and that is another aspect that is not covered as much at other parks.

So Christmas time + Disneyland = infinite magic!!:santa:

It is hard talking to people who don't share the same love of Disney and who don't understand why it's necessary to visit DLR every year - or even once every 5 years!:scared1: Usually, my friends have a great time when they go, but it's not part of their soul or part of who they are. To them, it's just a fun place. They don't care as much about the details and the little hidden gems around the parks. Generally, the comments I hear most are about the prices.

For example, when I told one of my friends that DLR just raised its prices the other day, he grumbled something about how soon it will cost $1000 just to get in the gates. People have a hard time finding magic in a place they feel is so "greedy" or that is "robbing them."

This is definitely a world that understands you! :grouphug:

Glad to hear we will have a good chunk that wont be super crowded, thats great.

I do hope they have a christmas party, that would be fun for DD. We plan on going to the Halloween one when we come back next year.

Re: ticket prices, to me its crazy cause we think the tickets are afforable and fair for all that you get, i mean rides, shows, atmosphere etc

Our Annual Passes will cost $499 (stupid me didnt realise about the price rise till it was over ) and if we go there most days of our trip plus another trip it works out to less than $20 a day in entry which is great in my mind.

Some people will complain no matter what, its never going to be good enough.

only like 160 days to go... :banana:

Hi, Mike!

Well, I think that I'm not alone on this forum (or in this thread) in thinking that the possibility of a hard ticket Christmas party at DLR is inevitable. The Halloween parties are way too successful for them not to attempt a Christmas party too.

The question is...when will this happen? Will it be this year? Will it be next year when all the work in DCA is done? And where will it be? Will DLR decide to try the first year of a Christmas party in DCA? There has been a rumor about a future holiday version of World of Color, after all. So having a party in DCA could mean that a holiday WoC becomes the focus. Plus, holding such a party in DCA would be a good way to start off having a Christmas party without interrupting the usual schedule of snow, fireworks and parades that have been part of DL's holiday agenda for years and years and years. If those things that people have come to expect suddenly became party exclusives, people would probably be ticked off. But if a party started out in DCA, that would be sort of fresh territory and no existing holiday activities would be held hostage.

There has also been a rumor of the Candlelight Processional eventually moving over to DCA, in the next year or two. We don't know if this will happen, BUT if it were to happen, then I think a Christmas party would almost certainly be held in DL. That way, DLR could have a signature holiday event (the CP) in one park and a signature holiday event (the party) in the other park.

Of course, IF the inevitable Christmas party were to be held in DCA, surely it would not be this year. Too much construction....

...Which then has me wondering if DLR may decide to have a party in DL this year to sort of detract from the fact that DCA is not very holiday-ish in the midst of all the construction.:confused3:rotfl2:

So right now we just have to proceed as though it will be the usual holiday schedule at DLR this year until we hear otherwise. At this point, there is no solid reason to think a party could begin in 2011.

It seems to me like someone else on the DIS mentioned that they asked a CM and found out they could upgrade their Halloween party ticket to another kind of ticket. It wouldn't have occurred to me to do that, but I guess the dollar amount of a party ticket can just as easily be put towards a ticket of a higher level as any other ticket can, so I don't think you'd have a problem doing that.

I missed the Halloween party last year, so I cannot say first-hand what happened in DL (I plan to catch it this year), but there was a wrist band system for the party guests, and apparently CM's started checking for the wrist bands at rides, restaurants and shops after the time the non-party guests were supposed to be gone.

Thanks Sherry for your feedback. I will be keeping my eyes out for any new info on Christmas. My wife called DL last night and the operator she talked to couldn't imagine them charging for special fireworks and parades etc. I told my wife she must not know about the HAlloween stuff:rotfl2:
We are in the debating phase of whether its worth it or not to take the kids this Christmas. After our ANniversary (one day quickie to DL) trip we came back and told the kids how much fun we had. They immediately wanted to hop the plane back to Cali. My first wild idea was to go three times within a calendar year (Christmas this year, Summer next year, and Halloween the following) to get the most out of a cost of an annual pass. But after studying the costs I'm not sure if thats the best deal for me. In the summer next year we plan on driving out west so we won't have to deal with the cost of plane tickets which would considerable lighten our load and let us see other natural wonders on the way out. I then starting thinking though that maybe three times in one calendar year might be overdoing it. Crazy thinking right? Next year will probably be our last Disney park for 3-4 years as we are buckling down for the kids and helping them pay for college as best as we can. So here I am crunching the numbers and trying to figure out what is the best for us. So much money up front for an annual pass is a big road block. A monthly payment plan would be ideal and really help but thats not going to happen. Next year we also want to finally (yes finally see Catalina). I also would like to visit the Walt Disney Museum in San Fran among other things. It would be our last hoorah for Calif for sometime. Gotta go out with a bang for as cheap as possible. ANyways thanks for the time and cosideration in helping with my Disney habit. Talk to you soon.

How do we know what days they make the candy canes? I read the link but didn't see anything on that.

:thanks: and Ho ho ho!

CHRISTMAS DATES ARE UP ON THE DL WEBSITE! :goodvibes

Ok, so they are really trying to mess with us, but I just happened to check to see if there was any new info, and the seasonal events link states that the Christmas dates are November 14th to January 8th.

Let the planning begin! :santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

Ok, so they are really trying to mess with us, but I just happened to check to see if there was any new info, and the seasonal events link states that the Christmas dates are November 14th to January 8th.

Kim! :grouphug:

How is it that you are always the first one to get the scoop on the season dates?:rotfl2: Do you have a secret 'in' with Disney? You were the first one hot on the scoop of the Halloween dates too! You've got some kind of magic! Thank you thank you thank you!

Okay, now that I have said that, now I will comment on what sprang to mind right away - Um....November 14th? A Monday??:confused3

Well, I have to admit - I said it a long time ago on this board that I was thinking DLR would not start the season on 11/11/11, just to properly observe Veterans Day without holiday hoopla. Usually Veterans Day falls before the season start date.

I'm not sure if that IS the reason DLR is not starting it on 11/11/11, or if it's simply because they are extending the holidays to 1/8/12.

By the way, that answers our question about what DLR was going to do, given that New Year's Day is on a Sunday this year, and they usually end the season the first Sunday after New Year's. It looks like they are doing that.

I guess I just can't get over the season beginning on a Monday! That is so perplexing to me! I suppose 11/18 would have been too late, and 11/11 was too early?

Okay, well, looks like I have to update the title of this thread to include the holiday season dates!

A big thank you AGAIN to Kim/jernysgirl for being the one with the hot breaking news on dates!!:worship:

rentayenta - I have not forgotten to reply to you about the candy canes! I have to look up those dates from last year!

:santa::santa::santa:

What do you think this will mean for crowds then? We were thinking about going nov 13 for a week.

WOOHOO!!!

And, our latest great news, DH has a bet with FIL to loose some weight, and if he does, our room is paid for, at a Disney property!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter