• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland area hotel sticker shock

jrsharp21

DIS Veteran
Some co-workers and I are going to be in the area at the end of October and it was suggested that we fly in early for the weekend and go to Disneyland before our conference. It is the October 20-22 weekend. I was looking at hotels across the street on S. Harbor and W. Katella, and wow! I had no idea hotels were that expensive now for DL. I was an AP for years before moving out of California and have visited the past two summers. We never paid anywhere near the prices the travel sites are showing. $367 for the Del Sol Inn? I remember we used to not even touch that place for $79 a night. $503/night for Fairfield Inn. Geesh. I am guessing there are some of the Halloween events and after hours events going on that is driving up the prices of the hotels.

Yes. Prices are insane. I would maybe look further out and see if you can find something decent. Sometimes we will even stay in Orange (doubletree and Ayres/alo) since it’s a relatively cheap Uber ride to the parks. Cambria typically seems to be much cheaper than surrounding hotels as well, although I haven’t checked prices in October.

Does your conference contract with Disney? If so you my be able to use the conference rate for a Disney hotel at a significant discount or a discounted area hotel. Conferences usually allow 1-2 day early arrivals/departures on their contract.
Mike

Does your conference contract with Disney? If so you my be able to use the conference rate for a Disney hotel at a significant discount or a discounted area hotel. Conferences usually allow 1-2 day early arrivals/departures on their contract.
Mike
The conference is actually in San Diego. So no luck there.

Try the website getawaytoday they usually have good deals, also check the Eden Roc Anaheim

The hotels have got to be pretty booked up to be charging those rates. We’ve never paid more than $230 or so for the Fairfield, and we have stayed there 2x per year for the last 3-4 years of traveling.

Good luck finding a good option!

Most of the hotels I've looked into are at least $250. I just checked some hotels for your dates and they were all over $300. It muse be because of Halloween season.

I agree with Crystal about staying a little further away and taking an uber or staying somewhere with a shuttle. If you don't need to be in walking distance you could stay 20-30 minutes away and just park in one of the lots every day. Not convennient, but would save money.

Some co-workers and I are going to be in the area at the end of October and it was suggested that we fly in early for the weekend and go to Disneyland before our conference. It is the October 20-22 weekend. I was looking at hotels across the street on S. Harbor and W. Katella, and wow! I had no idea hotels were that expensive now for DL. I was an AP for years before moving out of California and have visited the past two summers. We never paid anywhere near the prices the travel sites are showing. $367 for the Del Sol Inn? I remember we used to not even touch that place for $79 a night. $503/night for Fairfield Inn. Geesh. I am guessing there are some of the Halloween events and after hours events going on that is driving up the prices of the hotels.
If the prices are insane it’s more likely due to a conference at ACC than Disneyland. One big event there sends the entire area’s supply and demand all out of whack.

If the prices are insane it’s more likely due to a conference at ACC than Disneyland. One big event there sends the entire area’s supply and demand all out of whack.
I just checked and there's something that weekend called the Global Produce & Floral Show that has 20,000 attendees. That plus the Hallowe'en activities at Disneyland could definitely explain the hotel situation.

I just checked the Candy Cane Inn's website and they have zero rooms available that weekend.

jrsharp, did you check hotel rates for the following weekend, if your schedule might allow for that?

I would look in Garden Grove and take ART or Uber in. Since you will be paying $30/day for parking at DL, the ART or UBer would be my choice.

I don't have any suggestions; just thought I'd chime in and say, yeah, I agree. We're paying a lot more than we were 2 years ago at the same time.

That is the weekend where everyone in Utah, Colorado and I think a few other states descend on DL because they are off school that Thursday and Friday and it's halloweentime. I did that weekend once and would never do it again! It was insane! Although with fall breaks earlier in the month I think October is just crazy in general!

I don't know what their rates are for that weekend--likely to be pricier than usual--but Knott's Berry Farm has its own hotel and it has its own shuttle to Disneyland. It's a nice hotel and you could maybe check out KBF while you're there.

This is what happens when there's a major conference at the convention center. The usual conference hotels like the Hilton and Marriott are sold out. Even the Hyatt Regency Orange County is sold out so you really have no way to avoid it that weekend. Those exact same hotels are going for a bit over $100 the following weekend.

You have 4 options:
1. change your dates to avoid the conference
2. book a hotel further away and drive or take Uber
3. use hotel points if you have them instead of cash
4. just accept that you're overpaying due to the conference

For your dates, if you want to stay on property, looks like Grand Cal is your cheapest bet. These prices are per night! Yikes!

View attachment 785356
I wondered whether that $5,144 was for the whole hotel or just one room. 😁 I see that it's for a 2-bdrm. suite. Makes the Grand Californian look like a bargain, although of course that $1,037 is for a smaller room. Pool view, though! :-)

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 2.44.20 PM.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter