• Spend the fortnight in DLR

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Visit WDW and DLR

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Disney_Princess83

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

We are taking a two week trip from 7th February. Our original plan was just to visit Disneyland for the two weeks but now we are wondering if we should spend a few days at WDW as well? We have visited WDW 3 times in the past but spent 15 weeks there (we have taken lengthy trips in the past) We are a little worried we might get a little bored with the two parks for two weeks at DLR. We won't be doing anything else in California aside from DLR and San Diego Zoo one day. We aren't park open to close people. We usually arrive a little later and stay until close. We have no children coming with us so this isn't an issue.

If we decide to do this, we will visit WDW first and stay for 8 days and 6 days at DLR. Anyone who has any thoughts or suggestions it would be much appreciated. We are WDW veterans but I've only spent 5 days at DLR ten years ago if that changes anything.

Thank you!

We spent 15 nights in Anaheim and had a 10 day pass. We had already been to San Diego, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon on a previous trip, so didn't feel we needed to go anywhere else.
We loved having lots of time at the parks, but we did do some other stuff. We went into Hollywood a couple of times, did Universal studios, visited Citadel Outlets and Walmarts.
We had been to Disneyland 2 years earlier and felt that 10 days was enough to really do it this time.
As I haven't been to WDW for over 15 yrs, I'd be going there for some of the time, but seeing you've been there a few times, I'd do Disneyland and maybe some day trips from there.

We spent 15 nights in Anaheim and had a 10 day pass. We had already been to San Diego, Las Vegas and Grand Canyon on a previous trip, so didn't feel we needed to go anywhere else.
We loved having lots of time at the parks, but we did do some other stuff. We went into Hollywood a couple of times, did Universal studios, visited Citadel Outlets and Walmarts.
We had been to Disneyland 2 years earlier and felt that 10 days was enough to really do it this time.
As I haven't been to WDW for over 15 yrs, I'd be going there for some of the time, but seeing you've been there a few times, I'd do Disneyland and maybe some day trips from there.

There isn't much else we want to do Anaheim or LA aside from San Diego. However I'm thinking if we want to do a few sit down meals and perhaps sleep in a few mornings and go to the parks later, we shouldn't get too bored with 2 weeks. Once we did 6 weeks a WDW and we didn't get bored. WOC will be closer for part of our trip and Fantastmic is closed but we have seen Fantasmic at WDW and we will catch WOC during the week it's on. I'm just a little worried as we only have two weeks that trying to divide the time between the WDW and DL might end up more stressful then relaxing and enjoyable.

I think since you have spent lots of time previously at WDW that you should just stick with DL this time and enjoy the trip. Venturing over to WDW will mean more time in and out of airports and settling into new places. I'd keep it simple and soak in DL for all it has to offer, after all it is Walt's original park, there's lots of magic and history there to discover. We recently spent 10 days there and enjoyed every second. We didn't get to do everything. You will most likely want to see Paint the Night and Disneyland Forever more than once. Cars Land is great. It's a shame some of the more unique DL areas wont be open due to the expansion going on. If you are looking for a special meal than I'd recommend the Blue Bayou, it has a great atmosphere in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, a little pricey but we loved it, it became one of our fondest memories of our trip. We actually did the F! dinner package which wont be available when you go but I believe they now offer Paint the Night packages that may be worth a look into. Have a great time!

With visiting 2 coasts, you're spending a lot more money on tickets. The 10day DLR ticket is roughly the same as the 5 day DLR ticket so you'd be adding quite a lot just in ticket pricing if that is any concern, though WDW accommodation and food seems to be less than California prices. 2 weeks is probably a bit much for only DLR, but a few days around the area, you could easily spend 2 weeks around SoCal using Anaheim as a base very easily. I'd recommend avoiding DLR weekends, the locals do make it much, much, much, more crowded. For a 2 week trip I'd just stick to one coast, only one time zone change, Aust to US, to deal with and less time in airports.

If you have any interest in the San Diego Zoo, it might also be worth thinking of another day to visit the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, it's much too big to think of doing the same day. It is part of the zoo, but it's in Escondido. I wasn't too enthused about going, I'd been to Dubbo Zoo ages ago and enough time in Animal Kingdom and some Animal Kingdom Lodge safari tours at WDW that I didn't think it would be worth it, but so, so glad I gave in and went. The Caravan Safari was amazing, hand feeding giraffes (done that before, but this was much better) and hand feeding rhinos was AMAZING. We left Anaheim midweek about 9:30 and got there 11am, which limited what tours were still available to book. Apparently it is packed on the weekends, midweek was not crowded. It's well worth a visit.

I voted do both but after reading your post I change my mind!lol!

Seemings though you have already done WDW at length on previous trips, I would just take DL at a relaxing pace. Like you said - sleep in! Get there when you get there, and really soak in the atmosphere.

We did both on our last trip but we had more time.

Enjoy!

If you can do 6 weeks at WDW without getting bored, I'd say you could do 2 weeks at DLR without getting bored. DLR actually has a very similar number of attractions to WDW - they're just not as spaced out, and there aren't as many onsite extras like water parks, hotel hopping, variety of tours, huge array of restaurants etc. We have a very similar touring style to you - we like to sleep in, take our time, spend time having meals or watching shows etc. On our last trip, I was a little over it by the end of the week (had 5 day passes), but it was hot, crowded, and we have been 3 times before that. With 2 weeks, you'd have plenty of time to really take in all the little details that usually get missed. Try taking a tour (recommend Walt in Walt's Footsteps). If you want *the best* view of the fireworks/parade, you can spare a whole afternoon to camp out in that perfect spot. Ride your favourites over and over again, at different times of day. Really explore all the little walk through areas. Line up for all the characters that you want to meet. Research what food/treats you want to try. With so many days, you can try them all without feeling completely stuffed! Disneybounding is great fun, and a whole new way of exploring the parks - not only can it result in great interactions with characters, but you can also do little photoshoots in appropriately themed areas. I tend to take at least a couple of outfits for each trip now. You could also spend time in Downtown Disney and the hotels. Explore the hotel grounds, have a quiet (or not so quiet) drink in the bars/lounges. See a movie. There's heaps to do and see!

You're right, there isn't much else to do in Anaheim, and I'm not really into most of the LA sight-seeing opportunities either (Hollywood etc). If you do find yourself getting bored and want to change it up a bit (and depending on your interests and what you've done before of course), there are always things like Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios, outlet malls, Warner Bros. Studio Tour. On our last trip we did a horse riding tour through Griffith Park that was great fun!

It would definitely be a whole different style of trip if you tried to do both coasts. I say keep it relaxed and just focus on DLR this time around :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter