Disneyland and Universal Hollywood?

FinallyHome

Boardwalk 2000
We're planning a California Trip that includes San Diego (staying at a separate hotel for that), Disneyland (3 days) and 1 day at Universal. We're wondering if we should stay at a separate hotel at Universal (there seem to be a couple of nice but expensive ones right nearby and then crummy ones that are affordable) or stay at Disneyland and drive?

If you suggest a separate hotel - which hotel would you recommend?

Thanks!

There is another option....stay at Disneyland and take the free shuttle up to Universal and back. It is available to most Anaheim area hotel guests that buy at least a 1 day ticket to Universal.

I would stay in the Disneyland area and drive to Universal for the day. It is very easy to see in a day or less and it's much easier not to change hotels again. Plus, as far as I know none of the hotels near Universal offer any perks like the Universal Orlando Leows ones do, so it's really not worth the bother.

I agree with the two replies. Either shuttle/ticket package or drive your car. Moving for one night may be a bit of a pain with checkin in and and out and having to drive too the other options are a bit more simple.

In SD do you happen to be going to SW or the zoo or safari park? If so look at the SoCal CityPass for some savings on a combo ticket. DLR for 3 days, and one day at USH, SW and one day at either the zoo or Safari park. It offers some good savings and you can add on days at DLR if you need to.
http://www.citypass.com/southern-california

There is another option....stay at Disneyland and take the free shuttle up to Universal and back. It is available to most Anaheim area hotel guests that buy at least a 1 day ticket to Universal.

Where do I find out more about this free shuttle to Universal?? Have you used it?

If you'll have your own transportation it will be a lot easier to drive to Universal from Disneyland, really no need to stay at a hotel near Universal. However, if you do decide to stay at a different hotel for your Universal visit, the surrounding area is very scary and not the greatest, so the crummy hotels you found are probably in a not tourist friendly area.

My friend and I just stayed at the Universal Sheraton Hotel, both the Sheraton on Hilton are on the Universal park property and are within walking distance, I would trust either the most. They are pricey, but the area did seem a lot safer, within reason because any weirdo can still access the area.

Another option.

Dump the Universal day trip altogether.......since it's an inferior park & since a family probably needs 4 days minimum (5 days would be better) to enjoy DLR.

Plus it's a 90 -120 minute schlep (each way) to Universal from DLR.

:)

Another option.

Dump the Universal day trip altogether.......since it's an inferior park & since a family probably needs 4 days minimum (5 days would be better) to enjoy DLR.

Plus it's a 90 -120 minute schlep (each way) to Universal from DLR.

No I disagree. First of all, 90-120 each way is a bit much, that's more like "accident" traffic. My family and I go several times a year and our starting point is the immediate Disneyland area, and do return to our Anaheim hotel after a day at Universal. One hour is probably the longest we have experienced, 45 minutes is about average, but 90 to 120 minutes is uncommon.

Any theme park when compared to Disneyland is inferior, but Universal is still worth a try especially if this party has never visited or hasn't visited in years. It is a lot different than the Orlando Universal and smaller, but different enough to try it out. The WaterWorld show is pretty cool, and the Tram Tour alone is worth a visit.

Cheapest place at the moment to buy tickets is most likely Costco.

If you will have a car, stay in the DL area and drive. I agree with GGG, it is about a 45 minute drive. We always make it a point to go to USH one day during our trips. You can easily do everything in one day and City Walk is fun to stroll.

Where do I find out more about this free shuttle to Universal?? Have you used it?

Grayline offers some tour packages. USH, SW, LL and more. For some you pay the full price of a park ticket(discounts to those are easy to find compared to Disney) and the shuttle bus ride is included. Hence the shuttle feels free.

No I disagree. First of all, 90-120 each way is a bit much, that's more like "accident" traffic. My family and I go several times a year and our starting point is the immediate Disneyland area, and do return to our Anaheim hotel after a day at Universal. One hour is probably the longest we have experienced, 45 minutes is about average, but 90 to 120 minutes is uncommon.

Any theme park when compared to Disneyland is inferior, but Universal is still worth a try especially if this party has never visited or hasn't visited in years. It is a lot different than the Orlando Universal and smaller, but different enough to try it out. The WaterWorld show is pretty cool, and the Tram Tour alone is worth a visit.

Cheapest place at the moment to buy tickets is most likely Costco.

Absolutely agree. We live 3 miles from Disneyland, commute it, and get about 45-60 minutes on average.

For the anti-Universal people, I think it's important to consider the difference between Orlando and LA. The Orlando Universal Studios is an amusement park. The LA Universal Studios is a working film studio that added rides and attractions to give visitors something to do while waiting for studio/tram tour. As a theme park itself, I find it good-but-not-great, but add in the tram tour and it's top notch. I know some people come to Universal and skip the tram tour or come to Universal and expect an amusement-only park like Orlando, but there is real authenticity in the area and it's not all in the park itself. Come to Universal Studios to see where movies are actually made and learn how they're made, then catch a few rides and shows.

45 minutes from DLR hotel to Universal Hollywood?

During rush hour?

It takes me over an hour from Santa Monica to DLR at 5am on a Sunday.

Seriously....how long does it take leaving at 7:00 am during the week?

The great thing about USH is that you don't have to do it "commando" to do everything in one day. So no need to leave DLR until 9:00. ;)

Here is a link to Universal Hollywood's website page for tickets.
http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/tickets.html

If you look toward the bottom there is an option that includes Anaheim shuttle through Grayline. By the sounds of your itinerary though, I'm guessing you already have the citypass tickets?

Regardless, I think a better option is driving as I have heard from some people that they were "done" and felt they had to kill time while waiting for their scheduled bus back to Anaheim. At least with a car, you can leave when you are ready.
As far as whether it is worth going at all? I kind of agree with Hound 109. I don't think Universal is worth the cost of taking a family there for the day. I base that on the cost being somewhat similar to Universal Orlando, yet there is much less to do there. It is interesting to see as a working movie studio which Orlando is not (I think) and has a lot of great movie history.

Anyway, OP's original question was not whether or not to go - so my opinion doesn't matter:rotfl:. I should stick to the questions asked. A lot of people love Universal and hopefully OP will too:)

Skip Universal. If you must go to another park, Knott's is just down the street :)

To answer the OP's question, I agree with those who suggested driving to Universal for the day and not bother with a hotel. The time to pack, check in and out, just wouldn't be worth it.

Traffic can be heavy, but I wouldn't let that stop you from making the trip. I have two co-workers who live in Orange County and commute to our office in Burbank every day. They say it's around 1hr to 1hr 15 min during rush hour, and they're traveling a few miles further than Universal.

Personally, I think a Universal trip is well worth your time! And I'm as big a Disneyland and WDW fan as there is. The Tram Tour is a must-see, especially with the recent addition of King Kong 360 3-D. And The Simpsons ride is sooooo much fun!

Good luck with the rest of your trip planning! :goodvibes

To answer the OP's question, I agree with those who suggested driving to Universal for the day and not bother with a hotel. The time to pack, check in and out, just wouldn't be worth it.

Traffic can be heavy, but I wouldn't let that stop you from making the trip. I have two co-workers who live in Orange County and commute to our office in Burbank every day. They say it's around 1hr to 1hr 15 min during rush hour, and they're traveling a few miles further than Universal.

Personally, I think a Universal trip is well worth your time! And I'm as big a Disneyland and WDW fan as there is. The Tram Tour is a must-see, especially with the recent addition of King Kong 360 3-D. And The Simpsons ride is sooooo much fun!

Good luck with the rest of your trip planning! :goodvibes

Great driving info Dillo. Thanks for posting this.

Regarding my comment to "skip Universal":

- I like Universal.

- If it was part of a 2-3 day "visit stuff in & around LA/Burbank/Malibu/Santa Monica" tour, I would dedicate a nice 3-5 hour visit there.

- Many WDW vets buy the SoCal pass & feel compelled to visit (even though all other days are in SD & DLR). The OP appears to have taken several WDW trips.

- Many WDW vets who post on the "dark side" of the disboards hear that DLR is a 2-3 day park (& then wish they had done 4-5 days after their trip).

- Many like Universal (cool). Some (at least 3 of us in this thread) think a 4th day at DLR makes much more sense than a one day visit to Universal (especially since with driving/parking/ etc. factored in).

- My comment is directed to the once every 5 year California visitor who might say "dang....i wish i had spent that 4th day at DLR, instead of schlepping 75-90 min up & 75-90 min back, parking etc.......when instead i could have spent that one extra day in paradise (a 5 min. walk from my hotel).....& then I could plan ANOTHER vist to LA/Santa Monica/Malibu/SB for 3-4 days to see the sights (& visit Universal then). This thought rarely occurs to the once every 5 year visitor. (who becomes a once every 2 year visitor after visiting Walt's Park. ;)

-

If you head to US for the day, definitely don't stay at a different hotel. It's within driving distance.

My family and I did this a couple years back however, and while the tram tour was pretty neat, the rest of the area was only okay. We all wished we had just stayed in Disneyland for an extra day, so early in the afternoon we drove back and added a day to our DL passes.

We just came back from CA and did similar trip to what OP is thinking of doing. Stayed @ PPH and did 3 days @ DL, 1 day touring LA and 1 day @ Universal. Then, 4 days in SD. The trip to Universal took 45 mins from PPH so definitely not worth changing hotels. I actually really enjoyed Universal and loved the studio tour. For me, 3 days @ the 2 DL parks was plenty. We got to do and see everything we wanted without stressing out. I know most people on this board will disagree, but I just could not have done another day at DL. Breaking up the DL portion of trip with side trips was a nice break for us. Too much of one thing gets boring for us after a while. So, I recommend taking the day trip to Universal and as someone mentioned earlier, the studio tour alone is worth the trip IMHO.

By the way way, if you haven't selected a hotel for SD yet, I highly recommend the Marriott Resort in Coronado.

Enjoy your trip!

45 minutes from DLR hotel to Universal Hollywood?

During rush hour?

It takes me over an hour from Santa Monica to DLR at 5am on a Sunday.

Seriously....how long does it take leaving at 7:00 am during the week?

And Santa Monica is farther away, so it should.

I live in Los Feliz, very close to Universal. Driving down to Disneyland averages me about 40 minutes with average traffic flow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter