Disneyland and DCA - vs- Hollywood Studios

TinkAgainU

Trust In The Pixie Dust
Going to WDW in December - we are regulars at both the California Parks - so does anyone have suggestions for what is “not to miss” at Hollywood Studios due to differences in Florida? We usually skip HS but wondered if missing something unique there? Thanks!

There's obviously a ton of overlap, but HS still has some unique things that are worth the trip.

Slinky Dog Dash is a really fun little coaster, although I wouldn't wait standby if you can't get a LL.

I know you have Mission Breakout but the original Tower of Terror is great and the ride system is a little different from CA in addition to the original theming.

Muppets 3D and Frozen Sing-along are must dos for our family, but I know not everyone is into the shows.

Galaxy's Edge is identical, albeit swampier feeling. Toy Story Land is good, not great. Slinky Dog is fun. The alien ride is Mater's but still fun. Midway Mania has a good queue but is skipable. Definitely do Tower of Terror. The theming is so good. Rock n Roller coaster is great. Muppet 3D is great. Indiana Jones stunt show is fun. I also like their version of Star Tours because of the Ewok village queue. If they still do One Man's Dream, definitely do that.

Brown Derby for drinks, Sci-Fi Drive In and/or 50s Prime Time Cafe for lunch/dinner are both unique experiences.

Here's a good HS Guide:

Micky & Minnie's Runaway Railway - Ride is practically identical to DL version, but the queue is way less themed.
Frozen Sing-Along Celebration - This is a fun show unique to HS.
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular - Old show but it is unique to HS and worth a watch if you are a fan.
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue - Identical to DL Tomorrowland version, but the outside is more heavily themed.
Muppet Vision 3-D - This used to be at CA but was replaced with Mickey's Philharmagic - it is the same though.
Rise of the Resistance - Identical to DL version.
Milennium Falcon: Smugglers Run - Identical to DL version.
Alien Swirling Saucers - This is the same ride system as Mater's Junkyar dJamboree at CA, but it is covered.
Slinky Dog Dash - Totally unique roller-coaster and worth riding, It will have long watis so plan accordingly.
Toy Story Midway Mania - This is identical to the CA version except it has a second full track for more bandwidth.
Walt Disney Presents: One Man's Dream - cool little museum with a short film - it may show a movie preview though.
Beauty and the Beast - Live production in an outdoor amphitheater - there is cover over the front section.
Rock'n Rollder Coaster - Indoor cosater with lots of corkscrews - it is unique to HS (compared to DL anyway).
Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy - Just a little show with an animatronic Lightning on a lift and screens.
Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror - The original and worth checking out because it was always the better version.
Fantasmic! - The same but different, there is seating in a HUGE amphitheater. The set is more epic. With changes over the years, it is somewhat different from the DL version. It's worth a watch if you are a fan or miss it at DL right now.

That about covers it I think. HS has always been a show-heavy park, though many shows are still dark since COVID.There was the Disney Jr. Dance Party that was similar to what is at CA, and a live Little Mermaid which was one of my favorites, but sadly seems to bever be coming back. I think there is enough unique stuff to enjoy though - have fun!

Here's a good HS Guide:

Fantasmic! - The same but different, there is seating in a HUGE amphitheater. The set is more epic. With changes over the years, it is somewhat different from the DL version. It's worth a watch if you are a fan or miss it at DL right now.
I agree that the purpose-built stage offers excellent advantages for staging, but the show just ain't the same without the Columbia and the Mark Twain.

I agree that the purpose-built stage offers excellent advantages for staging, but the show just ain't the same without the Columbia and the Mark Twain.

Yes, the Peter Pan sequence was better than the Pocohontas sequence. I did not as much like the redone version with PotC though, but mostly due to the many musical arrangement changes. HS now also has an updated version that does not have the Pocahontas squences, but instead now an amalgam of a few different heroes dotted around the stage. I do prefer the end with the Steamboat Willie though.

The Indy show!!! So fun. We also love slinky dog, tower of terror and rockin rollercoaster. Our last trip to HS we didn’t even step foot in galaxys edge. It’s pretty much the same. We enjoy 50s prime time cafe and sci-fi dine inn and also really love baseline tap house. The carrot cake cookie at the Starbucks was also incredible! Have fun!!

Here's a good HS Guide:

Micky & Minnie's Runaway Railway - Ride is practically identical to DL version, but the queue is way less themed.
Frozen Sing-Along Celebration - This is a fun show unique to HS.
Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular - Old show but it is unique to HS and worth a watch if you are a fan.
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue - Identical to DL Tomorrowland version, but the outside is more heavily themed.
Muppet Vision 3-D - This used to be at CA but was replaced with Mickey's Philharmagic - it is the same though.
Rise of the Resistance - Identical to DL version.
Milennium Falcon: Smugglers Run - Identical to DL version.
Alien Swirling Saucers - This is the same ride system as Mater's Junkyar dJamboree at CA, but it is covered.
Slinky Dog Dash - Totally unique roller-coaster and worth riding, It will have long watis so plan accordingly.
Toy Story Midway Mania - This is identical to the CA version except it has a second full track for more bandwidth.
Walt Disney Presents: One Man's Dream - cool little museum with a short film - it may show a movie preview though.
Beauty and the Beast - Live production in an outdoor amphitheater - there is cover over the front section.
Rock'n Rollder Coaster - Indoor cosater with lots of corkscrews - it is unique to HS (compared to DL anyway).
Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy - Just a little show with an animatronic Lightning on a lift and screens.
Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror - The original and worth checking out because it was always the better version.

That about covers it I think. HS has always been a show-heavy park, though many shows are still dark since COVID.There was the Disney Jr. Dance Party that was similar to what is at CA, and a live Little Mermaid which was one of my favorites, but sadly seems to bever be coming back. I think there is enough unique stuff to enjoy though - have fun!
I'll second this review and comparison. I would add that the Twilight Zone ToT is better by a factor of 1.5x because of the theming.

As far as dining, You probably don't want to miss Hollywood Brown Derby. Great vibe there, somewhat similar to Carthay Circle in DLR. Also 50s Prime Time Cafe and Sci Fi Dine-in Theater. Hollywood & Vine has a buffet that we enjoyed at our last visit.

We like HS much better at night, so for this reason usually go on a sleep in day. One of us will get up at 7 and book a LL for slinky dog, then back to bed and we stack all those LL for the evening. I really like RnR and love the cinema setting for MMrR. And of course ToT. If you like stage shows that is a highlight. It’s a fun park to soak up all the ambiance in, and compare to aspects at DCA

We love the unique restaurants like sci fi drive in (good down time as it’s quiet) and the brown derby because it feels like home and gives Carthay circle vibes (cobb salad, no-jitos and grapefruit cake for the win!!) Used to really love 50s prime time but the fried chicken is so much better at Dland I’d rather go elsewhere unless I’m craving comfort food. It’s a super fun vibe, however, and the pb&j shake is like a meal in its own.

Have a great trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter