• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland after WDW

Aristomommy

<font color=deeppink>We were in the “wild animals”
My family will be visiting Disneyland in February. How busy will it be if we go for 2 days in the middle of the week? What attractions are must sees that are not available at WDW? Our party consists of 2 adults and 2 kids (7 and 2) and we would like to see something that's unique to Disneyland. Also, any hotel recommendations?

Pretty much any attraction that was at Disneyland before WDW is better and well worth seeing. The standouts are the Matterhorn, Indiana Jones Adventure, Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Mr. Taods Wild Ride, among others.
Rides at both parks that are better at Disneyland are;
Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Autopia.
If Fantasmic is showing you will enjoy it more, but it will probably be down for the winter unless you are there over President's Day weekend.
Even though Califorinia Adventure gets a bad rap, I recommend a half day over there. The Aladdin Show, Soarin', California Screamin', and Grizzly River Run are well worth it.

The DL hotel is very nice and Paradise Pier is okay. I haven't stayed at Grand Californian yet, but it's supposed to be the nicest. All are within walking distance (via downtown Disney) of the main entrance of the parks.

I also recommend visiting Knott's Berry Farm while you are down there. It's only about ten minutes from Disneyland and it's a great time.

February will not be very busy, except around Prez day.

exDS gave good feedback. For the 7 and 2 year old (and grownups!):

StoryBookLand Canal Boats
Alice In Wonderland
Mr. Toad

Also a couple not at WDW that you might want to do:

Casey Jr RR
Pinnochio
Roger Rabbit
Gadgets Go Coaster

The 7 year old will be able to handle Matterhorn, which is recommended.

Depending on the child, the 7 year old may be tall enough for Indiana Jones. It is intense and not appropriate for just any 7 year old.

The adults have to do Indy. It is a really cool ride.

At DCA, both the 7 and 2 year old will like the Animation Studios. There is a bunch of stuff to do there, including Turtle Talk with Crush which Epcot has. We had to pull our kids out of the Animation Studios after 90 minutes.

My youngest is now 9, and we have never had a chance to do Bugs Land, but there are some unique rides there.

When my 9 year old was 7, he went on California Screamin. You may want to consider that. I would skip Grizzley River Run in February, but it is great when the weather is warm.

There are a number of other unique rides at DCA, including Mulholland Madness, that are probably not worth your time on a 2 day trip but might be if you had 3-4 days.

Here is a neat link that shows nearby hotels: http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

We have stayed at DLR hotels and offsite "good neighbors", and we like the Best Western Park Place Inn because it is a decent hotel with the absolute shortest walk to DLR - except for parts of the Grand Californian. We always take afternoon breaks with a nap, but then we usually go when the parks hours are longer. In Feb they may be short and a break may not be as important. Depends on your kids.

February is a great time to go--especially in the middle of the week. Out of all the times I've gone, February was the least crowded. They didn't even have most of the fastpass machines working because the waits were 5-10 minutes. I think the longest we waited on anything was 20 minutes. Just be aware the parks won't be open super late, and you won't have fireworks, but you'll get so much done it won't really matter. Have fun!!!

Space Mountain for sure is better at Disneyland. I was blown away at how good it was, and I am a big fan of the WDW ride. Also, I thought that Haunted Mansion was better, but that just could be me and the fact it's the origional.

I spent time at DCA, and you def have t see Califonia Screamin. My friend is from San Fran, and when we went to Disnelyand she said it was one of the best coasters she had ever been on, even topping the Six Flags and Knotts rides.

Just wanted to add that Pirates is definately worth seeing. We have been to Disneyland a few times and just took our first WDW trip. In my opinion, Pirates at Disneyland is MUCH better. It is a bit longer with more scenes at the end that WDW's doesn't have. (And they are very good) Also Disneyland's version has two drops (to go under the train tracks) that I was disappointed that WDW's didn't have.

Pirates is totally better at Disneyland. If you can, be sure to eat at the Blue Bayou which is the restaurant right inside POTC. We like lunch which is cheaper than dinner. Also, Space Mountain and Its a Small World are better at DL IMHO. Things I love at Disneyland that are unique:
Storybookland Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Pinnochio
Alice In Wonderland
Matterhorn
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Indiana Jones
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin (not my fave but the kids love it)
Buzz Lightyear, Disneyland's is a bit different than WDW's countpart since you can take the gun things out of the holders and aim better. I score about 10 times better at Disneyland's!

Also, at Disneyland, Peter Pan has no fastpass, so ride that early, it builds a line quickly that never goes away. And the Winnie the Pooh ride is in Critter Country and seldom has a long line. Its kind of nice to be able to get on that one much quicker than the one at WDW. The ride vehicles are hunny pots at the DL version which is cute. It is also a bit different than the WDW one, can't remember how exactly.

Disneyland's Fantasmic is better but there is no amphitheater so it can be a nightmare trying to find a spot. But I think you are going mid week off season, so Fantasmic won't be playing most likely.

At DCA, Grizzly River Run is wonderful, better than Kali IMHO. We have ridden in February, get some rain ponchos at the dollar store to stay dry. It has two big drops instead of one like Kali's so more opportunity to get soaked! Also, California Screamin is incredible, really smooth, longer than RNRC with drops and one inversion. Its outside and the soundtrack isn't as cool as the Arrowsmith one but its a great coaster. Soarin is at DCA and identical to the one currently running at Epcot but for some reason I enjoy riding a California themed ride more in California! There is also a Monsters Inc. darkride at DCA that is pretty neat. And don't miss Alladdin, its the best show at either Disneyland or WDW. Too good to not see! Mullholland Madness is kind of fun and pretty much the same ride as Primevil Whirl at AK. Not worth a long wait but it usually doesn't have one anyway. Your two year old will absolutely love the Bugs Land area. Its hardly ever crowded and just right for that age group.

I think you will really enjoy Disneyland. It has a lot of similarities to WDW but its very unique and more charming. Park hopping is so much easier since DL and DCA are right next door to each other. DTD is also right there. Don't go expecting it to be like WDW and enjoy the fact you are at Walt's park. That makes it really special.

For hotels/motels, we have enjoyed the Tropicana and the Howard Johnsons which are both right across the street. Also, the Candy Cane Inn seems to get the best overall reviews, is not as close but has its own free shuttle. Disneyland has lots of inexpensive, offsite options that are right there. Check Expedia and Tripadvisor for pictures, pricing and reviews. There is also a sticky at the top of this forum which has a lot of useful information about Disneyland area hotels/motels. We also love the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier (haven't tried GCH yet) but they are so expensive! Staying offsite at Disneyland is not as important to the trip like it is at WDW since you don't need the transportation and the location within a large city rules out the expansive grounds the WDW resorts have. But when I can, I really do love to stay onsite (especially the Disneyland Hotel) I must admit! I hope you have fun planning and a great trip to Disneyland!

As others have mentioned, DCA only has a limited number of rides that are must dos. If you like thrill rides, do Screamin'. Grizzly is good if you want to get soaked in February. I've never been on MI, but I'd check it out too. The others that aren't already in WDW aren't really worth it, unless you really have the time and desire to do them. Personally, I'd spend most of my time in Disneyland itself. Fantasyland is much better because it has more rides than MK, including many unique ones. Small World is almost like a land in and of itself. The building is impressive. ToonTown is great fun and Roger Rabbit is enjoyable. Indiana Jones is an outstanding ride that shouldn't be missed, but it can be really scary for kids. And as others have mentioned, DL has the original version of many WDW classics, and the DL versions are better. One of the neat things to check out if you have time is the Art Gallery above POTC. They always show some unique Disney concept art, and at least during the 50th, they showed a lot of artwork from Disneyland attractions both past and present, including a variety of beautiful portraits of Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Thank you so much for the tips. DD (7) is a daredevil, and she will go on most of the rides her height allows. Is Indiana Jones like Dinosaur in the type of ride it is? I thought I read it somewhere that you sit in same type of cars in both rides. Also, is Pirates being revamped at Disneyland now that the WDW one is closed? Thank you for the hotel tips, that will be my next thing to research more..

I just got back from Disneyland after a 15 year break... it's my first trip back since I started going to WDW. My kids could not get used to the fact that Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney were different places, since they all run in together. There isn't the build up you get at WDW via monorail, boat or bus which is both an asset and liability. Personally, I don't find busses magical.

Attractions we liked that you couldn't find in WDW are storybook train, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toads Wild Ride, and the Mattehorn. Dumbo was a huge disappointment because it only goes about half as high as in WDW, so we missed the wonderful panoramic view of Fantasyland you get at the Magic Kingdom. We liked the teacups under the lanterns, but they close it when it rains, unlike at MK where it is covered. The carousel is pretty much the same, excpet that all the horses are white at DL. The castle is puny but pretty. I love the pink and gold makeover!

It's a Small World is worth seeing, too. It seems longer and is definitely different. I liked the DL version while my husband preferred the MK version. You will notice immediately that the boats are smaller at DL and you move down a channel, where at MK you have more of a floating feel, as if you are drifting on a lake. Also, at the beginning and end of this ride you boat will travel outside, which on Sunday I thought was charming but on Tuesday, in the rain, I did not. The water collected in the boats and we were ankle deep in rainwater.

Toontown is so much more.. more charming and more involved, although I do prefer Minnies' house in WDW. It's bigger and more charming, as is the garden in the rear, but the DL version is also cute. The kids loved the little tree house and the Go Cart Spin was a cute ride, with Fastpass, and an attraction not found at WDW so try and see it when the line is short. The roller coaster seemed about the same as in MK.

Tomorrowland is much lamer at DL. The rocket ride is low to the ground instead of perched above the people mover, which DL no longer has.. a pity, since I love the people mover. On the plus side, though, you didn't have to board the elevator to the rocket ride. I have a son who is phobic about elevators. Star Tours and Honey I Shrunk the Audience are the same as you'll find at the Disney Studios at WDW, so if you've seen those and are short on time, you can skip it. I havent' been on the WDW version of Space Mountain, but at Disnelyand it blew me away. From all accounts, it is better at DL and worth seeing. Buzz lightyear seemed about the same to me except for the gun. I never made it to Innoventions, which appears to have taken the place of Carousel of Progress, which is not in DL. COP is one of my favorite, nostaligic attractions so I missed it.

The monorail stop is located in Tomorrowland; it was a big disappointment. For starters it's considered more of an attraction than transportaion, so it takes you to downtown disney and back. The cars are smaller and the tracks, espeically in downtown Disney are really low to the ground. My husband could leap up and touch it! On the monorail ride, you really lose "the magic." Nothing like seeing a string of hotels and fast food restaurants to give you that magical feeling!!!

New Orleans Square was really cute and charming. The Haunted Mansiion seemed identical, except for the exterior. I liked the graveyard at WDW, though, and didn't notice one at DL. Pirates was closed for renovation, as was Blue Bayou restaurant, so no comment there excpet to say that the DL version is largely considred better at DL.

In Frontierland, the roller coaster seemed shorter and more twisty than at WDW, but was just as nicely themed. Toms Sawyer Island, however, is really pathetic in DL. The fort is puny and closed, there is no playground, no restaurant, and fewer caves and trails. The barrel bridge was closed when were were there, too. The raft ride across the river is very short, you can practically spit across it. This river area is much nicer at WDW, as is the landscaping in general throughout the park. We stumbled onto Fantasmic just as it started and saw it from stage left. It is really a great show and worth seeing. Unlike at WDW, where there is a designated area with arena seating, you must stand throughout the show and hope that you can see over the tops of the heads in front of you. The pirate ship sequence is impressive, but the part with the princesses... they used the Toms Sawyers rafts I think, instead of the showboat style boats at MGM. There are plusses and minuses to each version of the show, so it's probbly a wash. Still, I prefer having a seat and a show that doesn't tie up huge portions of the theme park.

We missed the fireworks.. an excellent time to do the rides, so no comment. I'm told it's on par with Wishes or even a bit better. The parade was great, but seemed shorter than Spectromagic. Apart from the acrobat sequence in the Parade of Dreams, I prefered Spectro.

Adventureland is really cute and tropical at DL where at WDW there seems to be a move towards the Arabian theming. Theres is no Alladin ride at Disneyland. I enjoyed seeing the original version of the Tiki Birds, which is a different show than at WDW. The preshow area is completely different and worth seeing and comparing... I can't say one is better than the other, just different. Indiana Jones ride was fabulous, a real treat if you can handle the bumps. I can't wait till it comes to the Disney Studios!! Very clever, although I swear Indy has the longest exit EVER. I liked the Jungle Cruise as well, even though it's a bit shorter at DL. It's just as delighfully cheesy!! I liked the Tarzan Treehouse. The Swiss Family one at WDW seemed to have more details to look at, but Tarzan's had some interactive stuff at the end and I liked the part where Jane is sketching Tarzan. Very sweet.

Think of California Advetnture as another "land"... it's that close. Just across the entranceway from Disneyland. My kids could not grasp the concept that these were two parks! We loved Grizzly River Rapids (like Kali at Animal Kingdom with a differnt theme), the Monstors Inc, Crush (which is at Epcot) and Soarin Over California (also at Epcot). The Block Party Bash was an energetic, fabulous show, so worth seeing. We also saw Alladin from the balcony, with an excellent view of this amazing carpet ride sequence.. it was only showing on Sunday and not on Monday or Tuesday when we were there, so plan carefully. The Redwood trails was a great playgroudn for the kids.. not as good as the Honey I Shrunk the Kids at MGM, but a bit better than the Dinasour one at the Animal Kingdom. We never got to the Six Flags section of the park, or California Dreams.

Downtown Disney, while smaller at DL was accessible. and not the huge pain in the rear to get to as it is at WDW.. again, think of it as an extension of Disney, it all just flows together seamlessly. They did a nice job with the fountains and landscaping. We had a great meal at ESPN, which was right next door to the Disneyland Hotel.

One thing that I'd forgotten about Disnelyalnd is that the exits and entrances to the rides are just a few feet apart. You get off one ride and take a few steps to enter the next. It was very managable even for my 5 year old, so not so exhausting to tour. ON the otherhand, it isn't nearly as beautiful and in my opinion as magical.

Another shock was the cost of food. Plan on spending 30-40% more for food and have it taste half as good at Disneyland. and that isn't considering the Disney Dining Plan! If you use that plan, I'm guessing the food is two to three times the price.

We were there for three days and saw hardly any characters, where on our last trip to WDW we were stumbling over them wherever we turned. My daughter was disappointed that she saw no princesses, so conisder booking a character breakfast if this is important to your children. We liked Goofy's kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel. Great character interaction and good food.. on par with Chef Mickey. We saw Goofy, Max, the Mad Hatter, and Chip and Dale.

Hope this helps!

We are just back as well and not much to add as there are some very thorough replies. I will say the fireworks are like nothing you have ever scene before although I am not sure if it will still be the same show as it is themed around the 50th right now. We were there for 5 days and the fireworks were by far the most magical part of the entire trip!!!! My 5 yo dd love the original Tiki Room so be sure to try and fit that in. For me, although I love WDW, it was so nice with 2 small children that everything was sooooooooooo close!!!! When my son wanted to ride Space Mountain and we were in Adventureland it was only a few steps. So nice for kids and mom/dad pushing the stroller!!!! Plus the weather was so nice in March (we missed the rain), with highs in the 60's and no humidity!!!!

We loved it!!!!

K in SA

How is the Disneyland parade? It looks different than the one we saw at WDW last fall. How about charcaters? Can you find some different ones that are not available at WDW? DD loves Kim Possible and Lilo and Stitch and DS is into Playhouse Disney at this time.

Aristomommy said:
Thank you so much for the tips. DD (7) is a daredevil, and she will go on most of the rides her height allows. Is Indiana Jones like Dinosaur in the type of ride it is? I thought I read it somewhere that you sit in same type of cars in both rides. Also, is Pirates being revamped at Disneyland now that the WDW one is closed? Thank you for the hotel tips, that will be my next thing to research more..

Pirates is closed until June 26, 2006 so it should be up and running for your February visit. They are adding some new elements from the POC movie I think. Dinosaur is very similar to Indiana Jones, and uses the exact same type vehicles. I love both rides, they are about equal in scare factor I guess. Indy has some creepy snake and bug elements, it is mostly based on the first two Indiana Jones movies. If your 7 year old can do Dinosaur, I think she will be fine on Indy. My daughter was 7 on our first visit to DL and rode it fine. She was also 7 the first time she rode California Screamin and did fine on that too. Does your daughter do RNRC? If so, I think Screamin is less intense, its not as dark and its much smoother. She'll be able to see the whole ride as its all outside and judge for herself if she thinks it looks fun. I hope you have a great trip!

Aristomommy said:
How is the Disneyland parade? It looks different than the one we saw at WDW last fall. How about charcaters? Can you find some different ones that are not available at WDW? DD loves Kim Possible and Lilo and Stitch and DS is into Playhouse Disney at this time.

The WDW Share a Dream Come True Parade vs. Disneyland's current parade is that there are no snowdome type floats. Also, the Disneyland parade makes stops, so depending on where you are sitting, you will see one particular float doing some acrobatic type things. I think it is an exceptional parade, it is for the 50th, I am not sure if this will continue in its exact form once the 50th is over or not. Lilo and Stitch are at DCA all the time. They are usually near the big Sun Wheel in Sunshine Plaza which is near the main entrance. There is also a very good Lilo and Stitch breakfast inside the Paradise Pier Hotel. My kids had a ball with that one. They have Playhouse Disney in DCA and those characters do meet and greets near there. I have seen Rolie Polie Olie and Zoe as well as Bear, Stanley and Jo Jo many times. I am sure there are others, my kids are kind of past that now so I don't pay as much attention. I am not sure if I have ever seen Kim Possible or not. They do have Block Party Bash over there with Pixar characters: Toy Story, Incredibles, Monsters Inc., its pretty interractive, the acrobats and dancers come up to the kids during its stops. I really love all the parades and shows at DL and WDW and think they are all about equal for entertainment.

Characters that I see more often at DL vs. WDW: Mulan (see her in DCA quite often), Pocahantas (have seen her in Frontierland with Meeko many times), Lilo and Stitch over at DCA and at their breakfast, Princesses on Main Street, Princesses and some of the princes near the castle or at Snow White's wishing well, Mary Poppins and Bert and the Penguin on Main Street We also have seen the Queen from Snow White the last two DL visits. And Alice and the Mad Hatter are out and about quite a bit. Also, there is a really well run Pooh character meet and greet right near Splash Mountain and the Pooh's Corner gift shop. I think since Disneyland has fewer character meals they have some more opportunities to meet characters. However, the character meet and greets are not as organized so be prepared for that. Oh, and Belle frequently wears her yellow ball gown at Disneyland. In fact, if your daughter loves princesses, there is a princess meal at Ariel's Grotto in DCA. Belle wears her yellow dress there, not the blue and white one she wears at the Norway meal in WDW. And Goofy's always has at least one princess, plus Goofy, Pluto and usually a few others. I think Goofy's has the widest variety of characters of any character meal I have been to at WDW or DL. Its pricey though, more than Chef Mickey's.

At WDW, I have seen these characters I have never seen at DL: Robin Hood characters, Jiminy Cricket, Daisy Duck.

Those are just my family's experiences over the last three years.

Amy&Dan said:
If your 7 year old can do Dinosaur, I think she will be fine on Indy. My daughter was 7 on our first visit to DL and rode it fine. She was also 7 the first time she rode California Screamin and did fine on that too. Does your daughter do RNRC? If so, I think Screamin is less intense, its not as dark and its much smoother. She'll be able to see the whole ride as its all outside and judge for herself if she thinks it looks fun. I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks for all the tips!!! DD did Dinosaur and loved it. She did not do RNRC, because I was too scared to let her ride it. I wasn't sure how she would react to the launch and being upside down in the dark. Screamin would be actually better since it's outside. Also, thanks for all the character tips. Since we will go to WDW again just before Disneyland, I want to focus on things that are different and unique. DH has such fond memories of Disneyland and I have never been, so I want to be as prepared as I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter